AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 33 25.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 48 37.80%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 23.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 7.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.79%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.15%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-10, 23:41   Link #261
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

One of these days, I am going to have Yaoi-nightmares of Ascaloth and Kaioshin, and get committed to a mental hospital or something...

USO-DA!
Old 2007-05-10, 23:44   Link #262
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Thanks Vexx, WanderingKnight, and Fixen. You are so getting choco cornettes from me when I get there.

Funds? Admittedly (and this is pretty bad), one of my first thoughts after hearing I was accepted was that I need to get a cute cell phone when I get there. That inevitably led to, "and definitely Kona and Kagami cell phone accessories. Definitely. Even better if they appear to be bickering".

I'm actually pretty glad to see that there are people who agree with me about the seiyuu thing... I was under the impression that most people here were hearing Kona as Hirano. And the Yui Horie thing drives me crazy. She's good, but I'll never worship a seiyuu!!!!

Edit: Agh! Are cornets male or female? Dang French. DX
2: Sorry about the misspelling

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-05-10 at 23:59. Reason: Excuse my French :[
Old 2007-05-10, 23:54   Link #263
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Thanks Vexx, WanderingKnight, and Vixen. You are so getting choco cornettes from me when I get there.

Funds? Admittedly (and this is pretty bad), one of my first thoughts after hearing I was accepted was that I need to get a cute cell phone when I get there. That inevitably led to, "and definitely Kona and Kagami cell phone accessories. Definitely. Even better if they appear to be bickering".

I'm actually pretty glad to see that there are people who agree with me about the seiyuu thing... I was under the impression that most people here were hearing Kona as Hirano. And the Yui Horie thing drives me crazy. She's good, but I'll never worship a seiyuu!!!!

Edit: Agh! Are cornets male or female? Dang French. DX
Vixen, who the heck is Vixen?

Oh well I guess I don't get thanks because I just tried to scare you and all. One huge piece of advice though, and this is for real, even though things may appear to be easy in first year, by the time you are in your program the difficulty of the subject matter will have been ramped up by at least 5 times. The professors will start marking a lot harder.
Old 2007-05-10, 23:56   Link #264
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Ha, grats on getting accepted, Risaa. ^_^ Now stop reminding me I still have college finals next week to study for. >_<

I can probably count with my fingers the number of seiyuu names I know. I'm very bad with English names already, so suffice to say my memory of Japanese names may be worse. When characters share the same seiyuu, I never really accredit it to that seiyuu. It's more like "Hey, Shana is doing the voice of Kamyu!" or "Kitagawa is really Sousuke in disguise!"

Kaioshin_dono's probably not kidding with that advice. First semester of college was remarkably deceptive...
Old 2007-05-10, 23:59   Link #265
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Vixen, who the heck is Vixen?

Oh well I guess I don't get thanks because I just tried to scare you and all. One huge piece of advice though, and this is for real, even though things may appear to be easy in first year, by the time you are in your program the difficulty of the subject matter will have been ramped up by at least 5 times. The professors will start marking a lot harder.
Multitasking. I'll give Fixen an extra cup of pudding for putting up with my misspelling. I'm aware that anything life can throw at me to make it harder *will* be thrown at me (sadly). OK. I'll send you a cup of natto for your advice.

Mirrinus: My finals are going to kick. my. ass. Add another cornette to the list.
Old 2007-05-11, 00:09   Link #266
Fixen
ZnT Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
Multitasking. I'll give Fixen an extra cup of pudding for putting up with my misspelling. I'm aware that anything life can throw at me to make it harder *will* be thrown at me (sadly). OK. I'll send you a cup of natto for your advice.

Mirrinus: My finals are going to kick. my. ass. Add another cornette to the list.
Not the first time, and I stopped caring. Don't worry about it.

More surprising is that this time somebody actually caught it.
Old 2007-05-11, 00:27   Link #267
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
Konata's new attention was even more important. Up until now she was pretty much just a walking collection of laziness and various otaku cliches. Now we see more of her:
- Not only does she speak very respectfully to her teacher despite being in-game, but she really takes the chastisement personally--and shows that she takes Kagami's chastisement personally, too! Proof that more is going on in her head than her reactions let on.
- She's actually somewhat depressed about lack of romance, and actually speaks for the group on that. Another example of there being more to her character than typically meets the eye.
- Her attempt to "win" the game attendant not only showed her interest in boys but was pure adorable gold. Up until then, I really hadn't been able to call her "adorable" so much as "drawn and voiced adorably". I always got the feeling that if Konata were a real person, she'd be a real pain to be around. This scene was a major part in changing my view on that.
- Perhaps most important, though, was that she looks up to her Yui-neesan. It's hard to imagine Konata really looking up to any one, and she's probably smarter and more responsible than Yui, who in all likelyhood has no business being looked up to by any one. Yet Konata seems to think she's wonderful.
I also noticed these things, and I love Konata's character even more because she is more than just a walking, breathing otaku joke. The fact that Konata uses the polite form when talking to her teacher regardless of where they are at tells me that Konata is a nicer person than she lets on, and I find her admiration to her "older sister" Yui very cute. I also find that her interest in boys makes her more of a real girl, and her comments about her apparent lack of romance were quite charming. I had never chose a favorite character in an anime so early into the series, nor had one character greatly influenced my love for the show. I guess in more ways than one she reminds me of myself, minus playing MMO games. Despite me being a girl, I'd date her in real life if people like her exist. That's how much I love her character.
Old 2007-05-11, 00:55   Link #268
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
- Her attempt to "win" the game attendant not only showed her interest in boys but was pure adorable gold.
Was anyone else annoyed that Konata closed her right eye when she aimed the rifle?

Regarding Konata's online speaking habits, that tells me two things. First that she's got mad typing skillz. Since most chat lingo is made to require less typing, she goes ahead and types complete words without regard to the greater effort it requires.

But also that she has outgrown net-speak, if she ever used it to begin with. Which I find a common trait in people who have been using the internet for a long time. Excessive use of acronyms, smileys, pictographs, etc. can seem flashy and immature. That new jargon is invented continually also makes it ridiculously faddish at times. Of course, there are some people who like to overuse memes in a sarcastic way. But for myself, I find it easier to just use plain English rather than try to keep up with whatever the latest 4-letter "shortcut" is. (This is the first time I've seen "roflcopter" and though I can guess at what it means in general, I have little care for knowing the specific definition.) Although my habit of not using smileys has gotten me in trouble when people assume that because I'm not peppering my text with countless silly icons, then I must be entirely serious.

Contrast this with Konata's willingness to mangle her spoken language. Seems she considers online communication more important that casual speaking. But that's more the geek habit of inserting random anime/sci-fi references when talking amongst friends.
Old 2007-05-11, 01:18   Link #269
Code001
Mac OS X Junkie

Send a message via AIM to Code001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
Was anyone else annoyed that Konata closed her right eye when she aimed the rifle?
You mean instead of keeping both eyes open while shooting or it being another "lefty" reference?
Old 2007-05-11, 01:28   Link #270
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Haven't seen it (still waiting for EnA) but if she's shooting left-handed that would make sense. I use whichever eye is closest to the "gunhand" (ambi-uncoordinated)

She reminds me of myself in MMOs to some extent. I'll type in complete sentences and avoid all but a few acronyms (I'm also typically in-character). I type between 80-100wpm (around 60wpm if I'm being careful about typos). My only problem is that I learned to type on old manual machines and have a bad habit of using so much finger pressure I've broken these frail little things they call keyboards now.
To use the vernacular: "woot" for Konata not falling prey to llama-speak
Old 2007-05-11, 01:40   Link #271
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
~
She reminds me of myself in MMOs to some extent. I'll type in complete sentences and avoid all but a few acronyms (I'm also typically in-character). I type between 80-100wpm (around 60wpm if I'm being careful about typos). My only problem is that I learned to type on old manual machines and have a bad habit of using so much finger pressure I've broken these frail little things they call keyboards now.
Are you referring to "hammer-typing"? Where you raise your fingertips up high before slamming them onto the keys? I type like that too, if I zone into "automatic-mode" where I don't consciously think about where my fingers are. I average about 100wpm in this mode, but my fingertips tend to get sore if I keep at it for too long non-stop.

If I am casually typing, I slow down to maybe... 30-40wpm, and I switch to "slide-typing" where my fingers don't leave the keyboard and I just "slide" them around the keyboard.

Strangely though... the more I try to think about where my fingers are, the more typos I make.

Heh.
Old 2007-05-11, 01:45   Link #272
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The old manual typewriters required considerable finger force. I'll generally keep the forefingers on F & J but the other fingers raise up in a manner somewhat like you describe. Aye.. "thinking" interferes with the flow just like any physical activity. Generally, my "mind" is considering sentence and paragraph structure and the "no-mind" is typing --- in high school the only corrective function we had was "white out" with the little paintbrush so you composed the whole paragraph in your mind before setting off (unless, of course, you'd actually done a rough draft beforehand and it wasn't 3am in the morning before the essay was due ).

Oops, the Ichigo Masimaro OVA #2 just dropped ..... so much all the other downloads for a few hours.
(EnA... .... ... there's probably a shinto god for fansubbing, hmmm)
Old 2007-05-11, 01:48   Link #273
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Are you referring to "hammer-typing"? Where you raise your fingertips up high before slamming them onto the keys? I type like that too, if I zone into "automatic-mode" where I don't consciously think about where my fingers are. I average about 100wpm in this mode, but my fingertips tend to get sore if I keep at it for too long non-stop.

If I am casually typing, I slow down to maybe... 30-40wpm, and I switch to "slide-typing" where my fingers don't leave the keyboard and I just "slide" them around the keyboard.

Strangely though... the more I try to think about where my fingers are, the more typos I make.

Heh.
I'm similar to Skane-sama here....the scary thing is, I type faster AND make fewer typos when I'm typing with my eyes closed, than when I'm consciously looking at my fingers, trying to catch myself from making a mistake.

Of course, I do it by memorizing what I want to type first, line by line, of course....but without my sense of sight, I somehow know when I hit the wrong key, and I know which keys to hit to correct the typo without having to see it.
Old 2007-05-11, 01:51   Link #274
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

44 words is like 20 seconds too me.
Old 2007-05-11, 01:53   Link #275
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
The old manual typewriters required considerable finger force. I'll generally keep the forefingers on F & J but the other fingers raise up in a manner somewhat like you describe. Aye.. "thinking" interferes with the flow just like any physical activity. Generally, my "mind" is considering sentence and paragraph structure and the "no-mind" is typing --- in high school the only corrective function we had was "white out" with the little paintbrush so you composed the whole paragraph in your mind before setting off (unless, of course, you'd actually done a rough draft beforehand and it wasn't 3am in the morning before the essay was due ).
I used to use a manual typewriter too, but that was many years old (though, logically speaking, you have much more experience with them than me). So I wonder if I picked up the habit from there?

It would be interesting to know how people type with their keyboards, if they have never used a manual typewriter before. Handphones for example. I am still amazed at how the young ones can blaze through a message via thumb-typing. Compared to them, I am like a tortoise.

Cheers.

Last edited by Skane; 2007-05-11 at 02:06.
Old 2007-05-11, 02:00   Link #276
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telliamed View Post
But for myself, I find it easier to just use plain English rather than try to keep up with whatever the latest 4-letter "shortcut" is. (This is the first time I've seen "roflcopter" and though I can guess at what it means in general, I have little care for knowing the specific definition.)
roflcopter is very old. It even has its own tshirt. And Konata was using shortcuts, just not as frequently and as noticable as the others.
Old 2007-05-11, 02:02   Link #277
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. University was maybe the best four years of my life, not the worst. A time of great expansion. Congrats to Risaa. Sounds great.

2. I am fascinated by seiyuu, as must be obvious by now. Not paying attention to them seems to me like a waste of an opportunity for enjoyment and understanding. I was glad someone made the comparison to movie actors. I think that's correct: seiyuu are as about as important to anime as actors are to films. But sure, as far as the film or the anime is concerned, it's the acting that counts, not the actor. Everyone has different ways of enjoying anime. Following seiyuu, as artists and as personalities, is one of mine, but it doesn't have to be everyone's.

EDIT: Kaioshin, I can understand how university can do what you say. It can be a big impersonal place, if you're not lucky enough to get the right friends, etc. Personally, I was thrilled to get out of high school, which was not my best time.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-05-11 at 02:18.
Old 2007-05-11, 02:09   Link #278
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I tend to keep the two interests on non-intersecting levels if I can. I applaud a VA when I forget its one of their voices and just consider it the character's voice.... so its kind of wierdly bifurcated in that if I forget they're there behind the screen I appreciate them even more.

Rather like when I can just immerse into the story without being brutally aware of an amateurish writing technique or jerking the characters around like puppets - then I applaud the writers.
Old 2007-05-11, 02:11   Link #279
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
1. University was maybe the best four years of my life, not the worst. A time of great expansion.

2. I am fascinated by seiyuu, as must be obvious by now. Not paying attention to them seems to me like a waste of an opportunity for enjoyment and understanding. I was glad someone made the comparison to movie actors. I think that's correct: seiyuu are as about as important to anime as actors are to films. But sure, as far as the film or the anime is concerned, it's the acting that counts, not the actor. Everyone has different ways of enjoying anime. Following seiyuu, as artists and as personalities, is one of mine, but it doesn't have to be everyone's.
I should mention I was a much happier and easygoing person with lots of optimism when I was in High school. That was the period of time when I was the happiest and it was university that turned me into what I am now. It just had this way of sucking all the joy and happiness out of me with how distant everybody seemed from one another on Campus. Eventually it got to me and it ended up turning me into a cynical, pessimistic and distrusting person. I actually had to stop going to campus for a while because I just couldn't stand the atmosphere there, it made me feel melancholic, though I didn't know it at the time because it also managed to suck the ability to feel emotion out of me. At one point during my third year I just stopped caring about anything really (around the time my grandmother who was the family matriarch and my pet dog for 14 years of my life died). Only now am I finally starting to regain the me that I lost at University.
Old 2007-05-11, 02:14   Link #280
Telliamed
sensei no pet

Quote:
Haven't seen it (still waiting for EnA) but if she's shooting left-handed that would make sense. I use whichever eye is closest to the "gunhand" (ambi-uncoordinated)
She was shooting right-handed. Her left eye was on the outside.

I haven't been paying attention to the handedness of the characters. In ep.5 at least, the twins are consistent lefties. And there's a clear example of Konata's bi-handedness: At the Hiiragi's she's using her left hand, the the next scene she's at home using her right. Her mouse is on the right. Yui is right-handed (when playing DS) and Nanako is lefty (holding chalk in ep.4).

Quote:
Shouldn't that be "w00t"?

Quote:
(unless, of course, you'd actually done a rough draft beforehand and it wasn't 3am in the morning before the essay was due ).
Roughwhatnow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
but without my sense of sight, I somehow know when I hit the wrong key, and I know which keys to hit to correct the typo without having to see it.
Typical hallmark of the touch-typist.

I was typing fairly well for a few years between 7th and 9th grade. But it was all eyes-down. As part of an occupational training course I spent a day in a typing class. (Although I had an old non-electric electric typewriter, I didn't have to use it very much before getting a printer for the computer.) It was an hour course and after thirty minutes I was playing all the mini-games at the end of the expert level drills. Now my only problem is when I'm composing a word that has a similar spelling to the word I'm currently typing. Commonly "with the" becomes "withe". That and I can only touch-type my passwords, which all involve numerals and mixed-case. I know that some of the letters are capitalized, but can't off-hand tell you what it is.
Closed Thread