Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-07-09, 09:53   Link #1
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Newish computer, a hard drive not detected

I recent bought a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM and assembled it along with my existing 460 GTX GPU and 3 hard drives. After installing all the motherboard drivers, installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 home 64bit, and updating the drivers for the GPU I noticed that one of my hard drives wasn't being detected. All of them are being connected via SATA cable but the one that isn't, a Seagate something or other, is connected via a SATA cable BUT is using an IDE to SATA adapter (I have one other IDE drive using an adapter as well but it is being detected)

So far I have checked the BIOS to make sure it was in ACHI, went into Disk Management to make sure it wasn't unpartitioned, and checked to make sure the cables where plugged in snugly. None of this has made the BIOS or Windows recognize the hard drive even though I can clearly hear it turning on when I plug it in.

What should I do?

EDIT:
my hardware specs
ASUS p8b75-v motherboard
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
WD Blue WD800JB 80GB
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EALS 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus ST3160023A 160GB
GeForce 460 GTX GPU

Last edited by Hayamaneko; 2013-07-09 at 10:14.
Hayamaneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 02:08   Link #2
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
First check the connections between the hard drive and the motherboard as well as connecting the hard drive to another SATA port on the motherboard if one is available, and if that doesn't work then either the SATA cable or the adaptor is faulty and one or both needs replacing.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 02:36   Link #3
larethian

did your BIOS detect it?
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 10:57   Link #4
Heat Exhaustion

If the drive is bigger than 2tb Windows won't be able to fully detect it. You know to get it specially formatted or w.e. Forgot what its called. You do it in the disk management you just right click. ASRock has something called a 3tb unlocker, not sure if asus has something similar.
Heat Exhaustion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 11:04   Link #5
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko View Post
I recent bought a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM and assembled it along with my existing 460 GTX GPU and 3 hard drives. After installing all the motherboard drivers, installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 home 64bit, and updating the drivers for the GPU I noticed that one of my hard drives wasn't being detected. All of them are being connected via SATA cable but the one that isn't, a Seagate something or other, is connected via a SATA cable BUT is using an IDE to SATA adapter (I have one other IDE drive using an adapter as well but it is being detected)

So far I have checked the BIOS to make sure it was in ACHI, went into Disk Management to make sure it wasn't unpartitioned, and checked to make sure the cables where plugged in snugly. None of this has made the BIOS or Windows recognize the hard drive even though I can clearly hear it turning on when I plug it in.

What should I do?

EDIT:
my hardware specs
ASUS p8b75-v motherboard
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
WD Blue WD800JB 80GB
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EALS 1TB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus ST3160023A 160GB
GeForce 460 GTX GPU
Sorry I didn't read your post properly earlier. You may want to try disconnecting the other IDE-to-SATA drive, and see whether the 'missing' one gets detected. And what about your PSU? Since you bought new HW, you might want to recheck your power needs.
Old 2013-07-10, 12:35   Link #6
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
did your BIOS detect it?
No. I also tried resetting the CMOS to see if it detected it but no dice. What I am assuming is the problem for now is that one of the adapters that I bought (this thing) is faulty. I am going to instead buy a PCI card with and IDE and Sata connectors and try that out. In the mean time is their any way for me to check to make sure the seagate drive, the one that isn't being detected, isn't dead? Aside from plugging it into a different computer, which I do not have

Quote:
Sorry I didn't read your post properly earlier. You may want to try disconnecting the other IDE-to-SATA drive, and see whether the 'missing' one gets detected. And what about your PSU? Since you bought new HW, you might want to recheck your power needs.
PSU is a CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750. I've had it since 2011 and I previously tested it so It should still be good
Old 2013-07-10, 21:16   Link #7
larethian

750W should indeed be enough and since Corsair is a reputable brand, it shouldn't be a problem.
Other than these:
1. plugging it to another PC
2. switch the adapter & port with the one that is working with another harddisk

I'm not sure of any other way. Could it be the drive is too old? There's one more way but not sure it's worth the try if your BIOS can't even detect it. Make a linux Live CD, boot your live CD and see whether the linux OS detects your drive. You would need some linux knowledge of course. However, it's unlikely it can detect it if your BIOS can't even detect it.

And, instead of a PCI-based adapter, why don't you get a (reliable) IDE/SATA to USB instead?
Old 2013-07-11, 16:57   Link #8
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
And, instead of a PCI-based adapter, why don't you get a (reliable) IDE/SATA to USB instead?
Would that just turn the drive into an external drive? I would prefer it stays inside the case
Old 2013-07-12, 02:00   Link #9
larethian

Oh I see. I thought you want to first find out whether the drive works or not. Have you already tried interchanging the connectors? Or getting friends to help you check?