AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-07-12, 13:17   Link #25921
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

It is actually one of my current life goals before I go to college to complete at least one story idea from begining to end. I get bored really easily wheni I know what's coming next so writing sort of loses it's attraction.

Then I forget and I'll come back a week or two later with new drive to carry on, the lost ideas will resurface and I'll write another chapter or so and lose my will again. then I eventually wait so long I forget about the story and it remains unfinished forever.
"There are no winners or losers, there are only the living and the dead."
shiroi mahotsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 13:48   Link #25922
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
That's why I would think its better to have several projects to rotate between, rather than just one at a time. Easier to switch streams and continue on something unrelated until you get your mojo back.
Eh, I have to say it both helps and hinders. Having several projects to rotate between gives you an option of working on something else when you've lost interest in one story, but at the same time, there tends to be more pressure on you to update when you're working on several ongoing projects instead of just one.
Old 2010-07-12, 13:50   Link #25923
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
I try to write as if I'm the reader. That way I don't know what's going to happen next, but its exciting to get there. This basically means free writing from the front to the back of the story. The more ambitious the project, the harder to do it this way. I'm more patient and ambitious now so i don't always use that.

Hinders? heh, yeah, I have like 5 stories I'm doing at the same time now. x_x hence no posts.

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 13:58   Link #25924
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

I tend to always have at least one of my projects in "free-write" mode so that when I get stuck on other things, I go to it and just let the story take me whereever.

Now, if I had the patience to do that on any story and actually be willing to cull everything but the awesome idea at the end of the free-write, I'd be in business.

As it is, I'm a really slow updater.
Old 2010-07-12, 15:25   Link #25925
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I've posted these tips before, and I'll post them again. They work well for me, so they might help someone else, for when you find yourself unable to write.

1. Skip ahead and write a scene that you do see clearly. Even skip ahead to the next chapter.

2. Power on through - write a very basic "he said, she said, he did this, he did that" kind of scene. When you stare at a blank space, your mind goes blank, but it's easier to go back and edit something later, adding to it or changing it, once you actually have something down.

3. Think about it. A LOT. When you go to sleep, when you wake up, as you're doing other things, let the story constantly be on your mind, and your inspiration will have a better chance of striking.

4. Work on your outline some more, adding or adjusting future plot points. Even if it's just correcting spelling or grammar on your notes, or using more words to describe something. The point is you're focused on the story.

5. Listen to music, or rewatch the anime, or re-read manga, or re-listen to sound stages, etc. Helps get your mind more in "Nanoha-mode."

The first four are the ones I'm currently employing as I write Future Tense, and is what allows me to write so much. Then again, I'm quantity over quality, sooo... heh.

But the important thing is to really have passion for writing Nanoha; like it's important to have passion for anything you throw yourself into. As I was growing up, there were many things I wanted to do, but I'd only do them for a little bit then the newness would wear off. Write to tell a story, not for any other reason. I'm currently having a blast writing this story (and look for chapter 11 to come out sometime tomorrow.)^^

Your enthusiasm for something rarely comes back. Like anything, it's something you have to actively cultivate. If you don't, then luck is your only ally. I know we write for fun, but writing isn't always easy, so really step back and see why you're writing, and what you really want to accomplish with a story. If you can answer those and stick to it, the words will come. =)

At least, that's what has worked for me; your mileage may vary.^^
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 16:43   Link #25926
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
*Looks around.* Here you go.

Spoiler for Material Days - PT IX:

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 17:04   Link #25927
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Oh, lordy... this put a big fat smile on my face when I got home from work. Nice one, Nanya!

Gotta get my own muse up and working later when I can. Work owns my time hard though...

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 17:21   Link #25928
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post

Ha ha ha! Chrono just can't win!
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 17:29   Link #25929
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

I feel sorry for the poor guy, anyone wearing spikes is unjustly classified as evil. He needs some kind of sign stapled to his forehead that reads

"I'm a good person, I work for good people, I helped with many incidents. I AM NOT EVIL!"

His questionable past incarnation doesn't help either.
It was hilarious though
Old 2010-07-12, 17:40   Link #25930
ZeroIchiNi

Send a message via AIM to ZeroIchiNi
Quote:
This chapter and the last one was a blast! Chrono better start chucking down that wine he has.

As for writing fanfics right now. I've hit a scene where I have no clue as to what any of my characters should be saying at certain points. I think I might need to rewatch the series for a refresher.

I think I'm making the chapter too long but I don't think I'm near a good stopping point to end the chapter.
ZeroIchiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 18:22   Link #25931
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:

Haha, Chrono's gonna pound his head into his desk when Seikou shows up...

... If she can pull herself away from Yuuno's lovin' enough to make an appearence

On writing, I got this book called "Writer's First Aid" and it's quite handy. If you have some trouble getting around to something, set yourself a deadline and it'll help you focus more. If you have free reign you're more likely to procrastinate and say "I'll do it later." I had a deadline for Location of Happiness, and look how quickly I got that one finished!
Old 2010-07-12, 18:35   Link #25932
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Yay for random spurts of guilt inspiring random shorts that make absolutely no sense to anyone but me!

... Which I say like it's a good thing.

Also, it has Signum and Agito in it, which is a plus, I imagine. Title doesn't pertain much to the actual short, but it's a Rascal Flatts song I like a lot, so I slapped it on.

Spoiler for It's Not Supposed To Go Like That:
Old 2010-07-12, 18:44   Link #25933
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Yay for random spurts of guilt inspiring random shorts that make absolutely no sense to anyone but me!

Also, it has Signum and Agito in it, which is a plus, I imagine. Title doesn't pertain much to the actual short, but it's a Rascal Flatts song I like a lot, so I slapped it on.

Whatever you might say, m'dear, I actually think the title goes very well with the fic, if only because of Agito's last line.

Short, emotional, and to the point. I really like it. Maybe because I haven't read many fics where those two interact with him, or maybe because it makes so much sense for Agito to act like that. I especially liked the fact that Signum was able to read between the lines and understand the true meaning of Agito's words. It was heartwarming.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have somewhere to disappear to.

*Disappears into the shadows*
Old 2010-07-12, 19:50   Link #25934
isagrimorie
Zombie Slayer in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post

Oh, this was a nice little piece. I really like seeing this side of Agito and Signum, and Signum's attempt at a quiet reassurance and Agito's response to it.
Old 2010-07-12, 23:53   Link #25935
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

I really need to quit thinking up random stuff...especially at 3am...Probably been done before but...here we go anyway

Spoiler for I have no idea what I should call this...:

Spoiler for Part 2:

Spoiler for Part 3:

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 00:04   Link #25936
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Big evening for fics! I'll toss one in, too:

Echoes of the Past
~chapter 7~

...but it just doesn't seem right to have a Fate story without yellow color in the chapter title.

Spoiler for Big fight scene; what else can I say?:

Previously:

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000001265 StartFragment:0000000452 EndFragment:0000001249 Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 00:16   Link #25937
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
I really need to quit thinking up random stuff...especially at 3am...Probably been done before but...here we go anyway

Spoiler for I have no idea what I should call this...:

Spoiler for Part 2:

Spoiler for Part 3:
Hmm... Interesting... I don't think there was a mention of "Hydra" in canon, so, I'm interested in knowing what happens next.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 00:39   Link #25938
Tabasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post

Echoes of the Past
~chapter 7~

...but it just doesn't seem right to have a Fate story without yellow color in the chapter title.

Spoiler for Big fight scene; what else can I say?:

Previously:

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000167 EndHTML:0000001265 StartFragment:0000000452 EndFragment:0000001249 Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
I like Fate's comeback to criticism of Sonic Form. Also, I'd somehow assumed otherwise, but it makes sense that storage device wouldn't have an autoguard function.

Given her shock at Fate's performance, it's a shame Yaris will probably never meet Nanoha or Hayate in action, talk about readjusting your expectations!
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-13, 07:27   Link #25939
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post

Echoes of the Past
~chapter 7~

So make the background black. Like in an image logo or something. Do I have to think of everything for you?

Great battle. Also: Yaris is hysterical. She certainly will be appreciating of the raw power involved if she ever ends up fighting with Nanoha or Hayate nearby, much less the Future Ace she's already seen in action.
Old 2010-07-13, 07:34   Link #25940
shiroi mahotsukai
Under Death by College
*Author

If she thinks babysitting is tough with just one, how would she deal with all three of the future aces?

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha