AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-11-20, 21:57   Link #101
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Can someone write about how the swordfighting works? No one seems to talk about it beyond saying it is neat. It better have more depth than replacing a button.
If you want to swing left to right, swing your arm left ot right. if you want to do an uppercut, do an uppercut.

there is no instructions or tutorial, you do what you want to do with your hand.

I find it hard to believe you are not joking, but the game is 1:1 motion in the sword department. So how can there be a tutorial. Do you need someone to tell you how to move your arm?

As for what this means gameplay wise. Take an enemy for example. It will hold say its shield up blocking its upper left part of his body, so you hit the lower right part. The deku flowers will open their mouth either veritcal or horizontal and you need to swing in that direction to hit the vulnerable inside. And so on.

Here is a video showing a guy running around doing a few gameplay things.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_aGjL1bwN0
Simonsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 23:52   Link #102
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, I now have the game. As in my usual luck, my controller isn't registering with my Wii. In fact, neither the new controller nor the old one will work with the Wii.

EDIT: Old one just needed batteries. Still can't get the new one to work; the lights on the bottom blink when I press a button, but after it's done blinking, none of them stay lighted up and my Wii doesn't detect it.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2011-11-21 at 00:14.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 00:02   Link #103
Key Board
Carbon

Just to remind you

Skyward Sword needs Wii Motion Plus Controller

it will NOT run at all without Wii Motion Plus

the extension is around $10, IIRC
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 00:26   Link #104
Tjfarmer
I'm almost there!

Send a message via AIM to Tjfarmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Well, I now have the game. As in my usual luck, my controller isn't registering with my Wii. In fact, neither the new controller nor the old one will work with the Wii.

EDIT: Old one just needed batteries. Still can't get the new one to work; the lights on the bottom blink when I press a button, but after it's done blinking, none of them stay lighted up and my Wii doesn't detect it.
Open up the back of the battery case, press the red button. Press the red button on your Wii located in the front. Then the two synch up. Thats how you get a new controller to connect, or an old one to reconnect.
Tjfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 00:34   Link #105
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I was already doing that but it wasn't helping at first. Finally got it to work now. Fucking technology.
Old 2011-11-21, 11:55   Link #106
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Can someone write about how the swordfighting works? No one seems to talk about it beyond saying it is neat. It better have more depth than replacing a button.
Most of the fun is learning about it yourself.
Old 2011-11-21, 17:51   Link #107
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So I'm playing this game on an HDTV. I have component cables. The game doesn't look too well. I try setting the Wii display settings from 480p to 480i, but they look the same to me. I hear that 480p makes Wii games look worse most times, as the sharper image quality makes the flaws stand out more.

Could someone with the official Nintendo component cable tell me how the game looks on their screen? Also, could someone with the Nintendo component cable tell me if there is a noticeable difference in quality between 480i and 480p for them? Choose the display options in the Wii options menus.
Old 2011-11-22, 07:16   Link #108
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsy
I find it hard to believe you are not joking, but the game is 1:1 motion in the sword department. So how can there be a tutorial. Do you need someone to tell you how to move your arm?
I know it's 1:1 motion, but it could just as well be for show and not used creatively.

The game does have a forced tutorial that's three hours long, I hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7
So I'm playing this game on an HDTV.
There's your problem.
Quote:
The game doesn't look too well.
Looks like your HDTV's upscaler is of low quality.
Quote:
I hear that 480p makes Wii games look worse most times, as the sharper image quality makes the flaws stand out more.
It might make the flaws stand out more, but 480p definitely makes Wii games look better on a HDTV.
Old 2011-11-22, 14:55   Link #109
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

There is no three-hour long tutorial. You just have to go through a lot more before you reach the official first dungeon. Really, all the tutorials in the game are fairly short.
Old 2011-11-23, 09:50   Link #110
Tenchi Hou Take

This is how you play the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFt0u...layer_embedded

athletic dedication is required dammit.
Tenchi Hou Take is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 12:04   Link #111
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
This is how you play the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFt0u...layer_embedded

athletic dedication is required dammit.
I'm impressed. I didn't expect Link actually doing a flipping attack like the player did.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 16:12   Link #112
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Whoever thought up the boss key gimmick should be shot. The third dungeon's key was a pain in the ass to figure out. >.>
Old 2011-11-23, 17:38   Link #113
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Whoever thought up the boss key gimmick should be shot. The third dungeon's key was a pain in the ass to figure out. >.>
Yeah, they are a bit of a pain. I always find myself in the most ridiculous positions once complete.
Old 2011-11-23, 18:02   Link #114
Xacual

Waiting for my copy to show up is getting to be agonizing. At least it finally got to within the same state as me, damn shipping across the country. Thanksgiving holiday will probably delay delivery a day though so i won't get it until saturday maybe.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-23, 20:03   Link #115
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:

There's your problem.

Looks like your HDTV's upscaler is of low quality.

It might make the flaws stand out more, but 480p definitely makes Wii games look better on a HDTV.

I think you misunderstand me. As far as I know, the upscaler for my TV is fine, or even good. The game looks well. It is just the jaggies. It is how it exposes the flaws more than an SDTV that bothers me. That is why I was asking about 480i and 480p.

I was hoping that if I displayed it in 480i, it would look better, but choosing 480i on my Wii looks the same as 480p, and that I do not understand. If that has to do with the upscaler, than you understood me correctly.

Standard definition TV shows and movies look just fine on it, and HD games look great on it, though.
Old 2011-11-23, 22:35   Link #116
Narzia
┐(-。ー')┌

Quote:
I loved those parts.

I finished the game an hour or so ago and am now bored. I won't be bothering with Hero Mode for at least a year or so but I'm glad it's there anyway.
I still can't say whether or not I like it more than Wind Waker but at the very least it was better than Twilight Princess. But then again so were OoT and MM, at least for me.

Sigh.. I wonder when the next one comes out.
Narzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 10:42   Link #117
Shadow5YA

WW would be fine if that stupid Triforce shard hunt wasn't there. I swear I ragequit the game for months the first time I played that.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 21:48   Link #118
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game. It is one of my favorite games. I have yet to beat Skyward Sword, and I'm really early in the game, but it has potential to be one of my favorite Zelda games.

The triforce hunt in Wind Waker was too bad, though. They wanted to delay it, but some people in charge said no, and some things about the game were rushed. The triforce hunt is one of those things. They wanted more time to work on the game, though.
Old 2011-11-25, 04:10   Link #119
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

They had to forgo an entire dungeon in Wind Waker--but it doesn't look like Skyward Sword was rushed at all.

Also, is it just me, or does Tentalus look like an alien out of Futurama? Also feeling kinda gypped by the Goddess Sword's second upgrade.
Old 2011-11-25, 05:43   Link #120
GreatTeacherKen

^^

Tentalus looks more like a Monsters Inc. character, not quite as scary as some other enemies in the Zelda franchise though not a bad boss fight by any means.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, fantasy