AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 23 31.94%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 23 31.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 15.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 15.28%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 4.17%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-08, 15:50   Link #121
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
That clears it, thanks. Oh, but there was no connection how so ever; I meant, except for her mother, the others were involved by "knowing what shouldn't be known" or something like that.

Arg! My head hurts! hehehe
There is just not enough data to pinpoint the exact method of victim selection. It's possible that it's completely random, and the fact that the first few who died, seemed to do so because they started acknowledging Mei, might be a coincidence. It's also possible that the rules change depending on the countermeasures used, and now that no countermeasures whatsoever are in place at the moment, victim selection is truly random. Or not.
Old 2012-03-08, 18:57   Link #122
Stiletto
Ineffectual Loner

I'm dense as fuck. Didn't even know the brother was.... ahem before the dozar thing.

I'm also super disappointed. My second favorite babe besides Izumi drove off the cliff. With her parents, no less. Which is rather sad....

Surprised how many deaths there were, though! That was the real eye opener this episode. So the curse wasn't actively stirred and only benignly took only one per month or is there something more?

Though I'm empathy devoid and completely lack the foresight and observation skills, that glare Izumi gave Mei says volumes. I guess she's back to suspecting her.

Yeah. I just won't think about it. Better off just watching it and not wracking my poor brain over this. Liked the episode.
Old 2012-03-08, 19:04   Link #123
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Spoiler for Questions:
Old 2012-03-08, 21:56   Link #124
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Spoiler for Questions:
1. That's just my guess but while some people might know more than they're telling nobody really knows the exact reason so you can't tell it.
2. I guess we can safely assume that the calamity will try to kill someone if you dig too deep.
3. If you're connected to class 3 in any way then it's possible to die. The nurse was family as well as Yukari's mother and Yumi's brother.

As for the episode, I was raging so hard the entire time because they kept showing death flags for Yumi. Thank god that in the end only her brother died. Never really liked the other girl anyway.
Also I really start to like Sugiura with every episode more :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Take the recently minced Nakao, for example. Plenty of viewers wondered last week why he suddenly joined the beach trip. He didn't seem to have any reason to be with the "main" characters. Yet it was hinted quite a few episodes earlier that he and Sugiura were likely members of the counter-measures team, together with Akazawa. It's further hinted that he and Sugiura were possibly close friends, if not potential boy-girl friends, based on various body-language hints in Ep5. And in this episode, for example, look at how devastated Sugiura seemed in the aftermath of Nakao's death.
After (quickly) fast-forwarding through episode 5 I haven't seen anything that would lead me to the conclusion that they might be boy/girlfriends. Mind telling me which scene(s) you mean?

Last edited by Eisdrache; 2012-03-08 at 22:08.
Old 2012-03-08, 23:54   Link #125
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

Dang, I was sitting at the edge of my seat through this whole episode...then the tape got ruin and I was like...well, I figured that would happen, but still I was going...NOOOO! I wanna know!

So many deaths in one episode! Seems like the deeper they try to figure out the phenomena the angrier it gets. I knew something was going to happen to one of those 2 girls but never suspected an entire family and a sibling all in one day (this multiple deaths in this episode is a bit reminiscent of the multiple deaths that occured in the tape recording while the previous class-3 ran down the mountain...coincidental similarity?

And I think I can guess who the next victim will be, sadly. I like that character.

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2012-03-08, 23:57   Link #126
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Note to self: never stay a house downhill with construction equipments uphill
Old 2012-03-09, 00:35   Link #127
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Note to self: never stay a house downhill with construction equipments uphill
Add this, never park your vehicle in a downhill especially in a wet day and if your vehicle is a big truck with a big load!!!!...

...stupid driver, he's going to jail man...
Old 2012-03-09, 01:50   Link #128
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm just wondering, are people here in agreement that the "curse" is a thinking, conscious thing?

Cos I like to not think so, but I'm wondering what everyone else is thinking.
Old 2012-03-09, 03:07   Link #129
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I'm just wondering, are people here in agreement that the "curse" is a thinking, conscious thing?
That was my thinking back then in relation to the death of the girl by umbrella, the nurse and the boy who had the heart attack... Bu, its gradually changing....I can't find another obvious link except those already mention in the previous post.

I thought it was just an accident due to uncontrolled fear... but its evolving faster than we thought we know...

Old 2012-03-09, 07:06   Link #130
Qikz

Had this crazy thought while I was out shopping today... What if the curse is only activated by people worrying about it? When the kid got electricuted and the girl fell off the mountain, they only died because they were scared. Especially the girl.

Look at Ritsuko's driving last episode, when going past that massive truck they were terrifyed, but after that she floored it thinking she was safe from the curse. What if it isn't the curse killing people, it's fear? The first girl died to slipping due to being afraid, the other deaths have been accidental, but completely random up until now.
Old 2012-03-09, 07:23   Link #131
warita
Dai-Youkai

Quote:
If the curse was not a conscious thing, then it wouldnt selectively alter the memories of people and the school records. Obviously, the "thing" knows what it is doing and it makes sure it can continue wracking havoc by killing off people, who come too close.

It is indeed a bit too much of a coincidence, that people connected to the investigation keep dying. The car sick dude because he went outside Yomiyama to find the student from 1983 and now the two girls who found out about the investigation right before the Sakakibara team went into the classroom to look for the evidence left behind. I am just surprised the team as such is still intact except the car sick dude, but he was a redshirt anyways. I bet this will change the next episode, when the shy boy who received the tape will die. I see that coming clearly.... poor thing, I kindo like him.
Old 2012-03-09, 08:32   Link #132
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post
If the curse was not a conscious thing, then it wouldnt selectively alter the memories of people and the school records. Obviously, the "thing" knows what it is doing and it makes sure it can continue wracking havoc by killing off people, who come too close.
The question is, is there really a conscious selective process behind this? I find it strange how many people assume that the calamity has something like a mind of it's own when so far everybody seems to treat it really not much like a curse but more like a "supernatural natural disaster".
Let's compare this to an area where annual floods are likely. The chance is very high that it will happen sometime and you start creating countermeassures, but only few people will actually decide right away to turn their backs on a place they call home. When the flood comes it just happens, you can't do anything against it but it's not like the river is consciously trying to kill you or drive you away...maybe you simply made a mistake when building the town which heightened the probability of a flood.
After the flood is over the water will vanish but the damage remains, still it's unlikely that you will be able to tell which part of the river actually damaged your poperty or killed your loved ones...because it's all water and looks the same to you. Probably you'd even start to forget after a while how exactly the flood was and how it happened...unless those people were close to you you'd probably even forget who exactly died.

I think it is more like this.
Old 2012-03-09, 11:08   Link #133
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warita View Post

It is indeed a bit too much of a coincidence, that people connected to the investigation keep dying. The car sick dude because he went outside Yomiyama to find the student from 1983 and now the two girls who found out about the investigation right before the Sakakibara team went into the classroom to look for the evidence left behind. I am just surprised the team as such is still intact except the car sick dude, but he was a redshirt anyways. I bet this will change the next episode, when the shy boy who received the tape will die. I see that coming clearly.... poor thing, I kindo like him.
See there's the thing... If the thing really is a thinking conscious thing and didn't want people to get too close, what good would killing random bystanders such as Carsick Guy and Energetic Girl do? It should just kill Sakakibara and Mei. And Hot Countermeasures Girl just to be sure.

I just think there's either a random factor involved, a complicated formula, or perhaps both. It doesn't choose or discriminate. The choice of victim and time to "strike" all seem to adhere to a set of unknown rules. Cause of death seems to be completely reliant on current conditions, which is what led me to my earlier assumption that there is no manual interference of any kind, but rather, giving the 'victim' really, REALLY bad luck.
Old 2012-03-09, 18:26   Link #134
PreSage
Strangely dependable...

I don't think the curse is actually consciously thinking but I do believe that there are "security features" (for lack of a better description) in place to protect the curse. For example, like erasing people's memories and altering them so that they can't resolve, prevent, or prohibit the curse from happening. So I do think that the deeper the students pry into the curse for a solution, the curse may counter with one of its "security features" like perhaps increasing the number and frequency of death (and just statistical probability, an increase in death will more likely lead to the death of those actively investigating the curse).

[/TH][/TR][/table]
Old 2012-03-10, 03:22   Link #135
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

What good does increasing the death toll do? If anything it will make those investigating want to work faster to resolve it sooner.

Besides, this is of course assuming the phenomenon (also assuming for a second that it is sentient) does not want to be found out about.
Old 2012-03-10, 11:08   Link #136
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
What good does increasing the death toll do? If anything it will make those investigating want to work faster to resolve it sooner.
This is partially why I believe it was the phenomenon that caused Teshigawara to take the cassette out of the player while it was still running -- it was a possible alternative to killing all four of them on the spot. There were many ways to stop them from hearing the most important part of Matsunaga's recording, and the phenomenon "chose" a very simple one rather than a very lethal one.
Old 2012-03-10, 12:59   Link #137
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

If the phenomenon really WAS sentient it would've killed them a LONG time ago.

Unless the phenomenon is sentient and also retarded.

Or worse than retarded: Maybe it hasn't even read the evil overlord's checklist.
Old 2012-03-10, 13:28   Link #138
Hakuromatsu

Quote:
If the phenomenon really WAS sentient it would've killed them a LONG time ago.
I also don't think that it's sentient; Chibiki's "force of nature" is a clearer definition. But that doesn't mean that it can't do things that a sentient being would do, as though the phenomenon is a script programmed by some divine entity (I think I saw that analogy already, but I can't remember if it was on AS or not). We already know that the phenomenon is complex and has specific rules, and it's "intelligent" enough (or was "programmed" to be intelligent enough) to know in advance that Nakao was going to discuss the phenomenon with Matsunaga outside of Yomiyama and act accordingly.
Old 2012-03-10, 18:36   Link #139
NoemiChan
Banned

Does the curse make the victims do things that may result to their death or is it the curse that makes "the setting to be appropriate for an accident to occur that well result to their death?
Old 2012-03-10, 21:18   Link #140
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Both.

Damn 10char limit.
Closed Thread