AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-29, 18:03   Link #1
kitten320

Something exciting that will make want more

Lately I can't find anything that would keep me on the edge of my sit. Shows that I would usually rate 8 are now being rated at 6 and lower. Just going by my MAL you can see the difference. My average mark used to be 8.2 but now it is 7.6. I'm sure that soon it will drop even more.

I want a show that will draw me in and will keep me on the edge of my sit. The genres that made me feel like that so far were mostly mysteries and dramas.

You can take a look at my MAL list for reference. What I know for sure is that Gurren Lagan was not exciting same as DTB. Most of charas were simply plain, boring and 2D. Biggest part of the cast in TTGL were retarded idiots on top of it while most of DTB charas were exactly the same, boring and uninteresting with same face expression 24/7.
Also the amount and volume of your scream doesn't make you badass, it makes the character look dumb.

I want characters to have personality and to know more than just two sentences. I want them to be believable and not from some retarded mad house, at least not majority of them. Reborn is another show with good example of how characters shouldn't act. Especially in the first 50 episodes!

I like dark themed shows but I'm up for something lighthearted as long as it has an interesting and engaging plot as well as characters.

Hope there is still something good out there

P.S. Everything that I rated 9 and 10, I consider to be good. Though 07-ghost was watched ages ago by me, duno how I would rate it now.
Shows rated as 8 are decent for the majority and had some interesting moments which I would re-watch. Everything below 8 is not what I'm looking for.

P.S.S. Thought I would point out that I really liked Spider arc in Hunter x Hunter. Series over all are fine but nothing too outstanding but that arc really stood out for me. Loved the relation between the gang members, drama and over all idea.
Old 2012-04-29, 18:08   Link #2
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

I see you have Kure-Nai on your planned to watch list. You might want to give that a try.

The anime and manga is rather dark and the fighting scenes there is different, in a good way, compared to other fighting manga in my opinion. The series has also spanned 2 OVAs that are much more lighthearted and humorous than the series, to balance the dark tone of the anime :3
Old 2012-04-29, 18:14   Link #3
kitten320

Cool, have marked that one for my next watch.
Old 2012-04-29, 18:17   Link #4
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
How about these:

Kara no Kyoukai: The Garden of Sinners - It's about an amnesiac girl who gets involved in twisted occult mysteries that are linked to her and the power that she possesses.

Denpa Teki na Kanojo - It's about a delinquent named Juu Juuzawa who's always alone and doesn't like to be bothered. He encounters a strange girl named Ame Tachibana who claims to be his "knight" from a distant past. This series is created by the author of Kure-nai.

Bear in mind that these are OAV's but they're really amazing.
Old 2012-04-29, 18:21   Link #5
JRendell
Manga Addict

There's a few in your Plan to Watch that stand out to me too;

Black Lagoon
Eureka Seven
Macross Frontier
Break Blade

You've got quite a few decent shows hidden away there.
Old 2012-04-29, 18:25   Link #6
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I saw that Blood+ is on your planning list. Blood+ is a real gem. You won't regret watching it.

The same goes to Gunslinger Girl, Madlax, Noir, Slam Dunk, Rurouni Kenshin. The plot for these animes are rather heavy and compelling, with the exception of Slam Dunk but plenty of drama nevertheless plus some comedy.

Heck, you actually have a number of good animes on your planning list.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-04-29, 18:32   Link #7
ranran
daydreaming 24/7
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
I saw that Blood+ is on your planning list. Blood+ is a real gem. You won't regret watching it.

The same goes to Gunslinger Girl, Madlax, Noir, Slam Dunk, Rurouni Kenshin. The plot for these animes are rather heavy and compelling, with the exception of Slam Dunk but plenty of drama nevertheless plus some comedy.

Heck, you actually have a number of good animes on your planning list.
I second this, especially Slam Dunk. A basketball anime might sound boring, but this-- this anime is an exception. If you hadn't read the manga, you'll be kept on the edge of your seat every cliffhanger episodes
Old 2012-04-29, 18:50   Link #8
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranran View Post
I second this, especially Slam Dunk. A basketball anime might sound boring, but this-- this anime is an exception. If you hadn't read the manga, you'll be kept on the edge of your seat every cliffhanger episodes
When I watched it on AXN, I used to be so nervous about the outcome of the matches because the episodes always end on a cliffhanger. Oh, the good old days of slam dunk.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-04-29, 19:09   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll suggest moving Hikaru no Go up your list if you're looking for a series that will hold your attention from one episode to the next. I know it might be hard to imagine that a show about a board game could be that compelling, but I think you should give it a try. Many of the tournament-based episodes end on cliff-hangers; I often found myself staying up into the wee hours of the morning while watching this show. I suggested Hikaru to Guardian Enzo about a year ago when he was looking for something along similar lines as you. Now he has a Hikaru image in his signature!

You might want to bump Noein up, too. Unfortunately the only legally streamed version has an atrocious dub. Twelve Kingdoms is a rather obvious omission from all your lists; it would qualify as well. And, I'll second Kurenai.
Old 2012-04-29, 19:23   Link #10
kitten320

My plan to watch list is so huge that it is hard to get around it. Thanks for all the suggestions, I have highlighted them and will give them a shot as soon as I'm done with my current watch list.