AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2004-08-30, 17:00   Link #1
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Phantom Brave

Woot! Tomorrow is the release date for Nippon Ichi's brand new strategy RPG Phantom Brave! For anybody who isn't familar with it heres a link to a review from gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/phan...ve/review.html

It doesn't look to be as good as Disgaea and the reviews i've seen it getting have been average to good not great or exellent. But that doesn't bother me too much, since i'm a hardcore strategy rpg nut. Anyways I'm looking forward to getting it how bout you guys.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-30, 17:06   Link #2
Yuiichi
Retired.

Forgive me for saying this, but those screenshots make it look like it should be on the GBA, not the PS2. Not saying anything about gameplay, since i haven't played it. Gamespot gave it a pretty good rating too... 7.5 is fair.
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-30, 17:12   Link #3
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Well all of Nippon Ichi's PS2 games have come nowhere close to using the full potential of the PS2's graphics. But the graphics of this game are supposed to be an improvement over their last two games.
Old 2004-08-30, 17:15   Link #4
Yuiichi
Retired.

So what they do is slack on the graphics but make up for that in gameplay? Thats what i would think they would do... make a bigger game for the lack of good and stunning graphics, therefore you do get your moneys worth from buying the game. I must admit, i'm not a big strategy RPG fan.. and you can thank that on FF:T advance... the stupid battles take way too long.
Yuiichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-30, 23:35   Link #5
AnAlPedoFileMan
hey there lil girlie

then dont go near this game then Yuiichi... anyways 2 days left till the release date and im itching for my soundtrack... oh yeah must go out and preorder Shin MegaTen: Nocturne...
AnAlPedoFileMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-31, 04:33   Link #6
odin

Disgaea is one of my favorite games.. hope this one is even better.
odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-31, 20:01   Link #7
Takuto

Can't wait for this either. I've played La Pucelle Tactics almost to death and I'm looking for something new..

I don't think the graphics matter as much, the graphical anime-esque look suits all of Nippon Ichi's games fine IMO.

Granted, it may not be as good as Disgaea, it would have alot to live up to if it were to better it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it, nonethless. Nippon have never failed to deliever for me.
Takuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-31, 21:51   Link #8
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Darn, I just checked EB, and not shipped yet. Gona check again tomorrow. ^^

Edit: on a side note I saw Halo 2 empty case preview, It looks really nice, it's metallic. I don't play the game but I might actually buy it when it get cheaper just for the metal case. ^^

Last edited by Secca; 2004-08-31 at 22:04.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 15:06   Link #9
odin

IGN gave Phantom Brave a solid 8.6 and editor's choice. Good enough for me!
odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 17:58   Link #10
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Just got it, haven't try it yet got to wait to get home first. ^^

It was funny how the EB guys were insisting that I buy the official strategy guide also. I was like, no I don't need strategy guide. ^^ But he keep insisting so I check it out, and it turn out it's really small, have alot of information in there, it's really nice to look at also. And it is published by Nippon Ichi Software themself so I bought it. ^^
Old 2004-09-01, 18:19   Link #11
Soulfang
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
Just got it, haven't try it yet got to wait to get home first. ^^

It was funny how the EB guys were insisting that I buy the official strategy guide also. I was like, no I don't need strategy guide. ^^ But he keep insisting so I check it out, and it turn out it's really small, have alot of information in there, it's really nice to look at also. And it is published by Nippon Ichi Software themself so I bought it. ^^
Actually the guide's by DoubleJump. They also did the guide to Disgaea.
Soulfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 00:00   Link #12
AnAlPedoFileMan
hey there lil girlie

argh there is nothing to express my anger for not having Phantom Brave today... god, i hate it when games are shipped freaking late. everyone else is playing their Star Ocean 3 or Street Fighter Anniversary Collection(damm this sucka play smoothly). must supress jealousy...

fathers hide ur daughters cuz im no in a good mood!!
Old 2004-09-02, 01:56   Link #13
Tommy
Mr. Prince

I picked mine up today on my lunch break. Can't wait to play it,
Old 2004-09-02, 03:23   Link #14
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuiichi
Forgive me for saying this, but those screenshots make it look like it should be on the GBA, not the PS2.
Forgive me as well, for I actually prefer these cute pixel 2d sprites over most of the daunting American 3d graphics...ESPECIALLY for a SRPG.

I just picked up my pre-ordered Special Edition today at EB, and since the backcover said "Special Edition," I assumed the mini-artbook and soundtrack are both inside...but noooo, only the soundtrack is! Grrr, I'll have to go by EB tomorrow and demand for the mini-artbook. Don't make the same mistake I have; demand your mini-artbook on the spot if yours is a "Special Edition!" (there's a stamp that says that above the bottle on the backcover)

Okay, I hate to sound whiny and grumpy while some others are still looking forward to the game, but is anyone else absolutely astounished by how detailed and thorough the instruction manual is? Good thing I actually bought the DoubleJump Strategy Guide, or else I'd have to wait for a decent FAQ to come out before I have a good idea of what I'm doing and not spend hours "exploring" aka wasting my time. For games as dynamic and expansive as Nippon Ichi's, you'd think the manuals would give you plenty of information and data...but geee, a grand total of 15 pages...and here I thought the Disgaea manual was concise.

And yes, Phantom Brave is so so fun! Go get it now!
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-02, 05:41   Link #15
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulfang
Actually the guide's by DoubleJump. They also did the guide to Disgaea.
Oh lol ooops I tought it was Nippon Ichi cause of their logo in the front cover. ^^

I'm playing it now, the battle system kinda strange, but not too hard. ^^

It's kinda hilarious you can pick up stuffs on the ground and use it as a weapon, including your own friends and swing it around. XD
Old 2004-09-02, 18:10   Link #16
sarcasteak
WAHA~

When I first started playing, I didn't know you were supposed to use the Unknown Phantom as default jumping victim (since he'll revive on his own I think), so my Ash kept jumping on Marona because she was so soft and bouncy...and then...she died. Yes, the main character died before she even entered her first battle! XD
Later when I was trying to get the Bottle Mail, my Ash kept landing on her when he was jumping off the tall tree...and she died again. I wasn't surprised, but then I realized that Ash levelled up...what the?! Is ally-killing encouraged on this island?! XD

So now, I find it almost a necessity to strand Marona via AI abuse...I've accidentally killed her four times already. >_<

Edit: Okay, apparently you get a dark point for killing allies; I'm not so sure what exactly how it penalizes the character...but it can't be a good thing.

Last edited by sarcasteak; 2004-09-02 at 19:10.
Old 2004-09-02, 18:47   Link #17
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Lol XD

That bottle mail was quite tricky, it took me a while to get everyone on top of the tree next to Marona's house. And then I slip few time swhen making the stack and everyone fell off the trees, some landed of the roofs.
Old 2004-09-03, 01:20   Link #18
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Secca, did you understand how the stacking-item bonus work? I've already stacked five rocks atop that tall tree (and jumped on top of the stack, of course), yet nothing happened...
Old 2004-09-03, 03:35   Link #19
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Secca, did you understand how the stacking-item bonus work? I've already stacked five rocks atop that tall tree (and jumped on top of the stack, of course), yet nothing happened...
I haven't try further after the bottlemail yet, but I think we're suposed to stack as many stuffs as possible. How high can you go? ^^
Old 2004-09-03, 17:22   Link #20
AnAlPedoFileMan
hey there lil girlie

the trick is to stack 48 ppl on the top of ur house, then if possible try to stack marona...n good luck thou