AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-08-27, 19:47   Link #1
EscapeReality

If your life was an anime

Not sure if a topic like this has already been made and if this is in the right category:

I have a pretty dull life - reading textbooks, studying, doing homework, volunteering, sleeping. In fact, I watch anime to escape the pedestrian-ness of reality. Sometimes, I yearn how every day in anime life is always somehow interesting and provocative (in the most non-perverted way possible), even though most of the anime I watch is very realistic and can absolutely occur in real life (at least certain scenes). It's the witty dialogue and the cleverly unfolding social situations that produce the sparkling aura anime episodes give, as well as the genuine and intense emotions displayed by the characters that I find rare in reality. If a producer could take the most interesting or powerful aspects of your life and somehow derive an anime off of it, how would it compare to the average realistic slice-of-life anime (referring to those shows that are completely realistic, no magic or whatever)? I know that anime is staged and is artificially modified to be interesting, through the manipulation of the responses of the characters and such, but I'm just curious.

Don't say that someone should make an anime from your watching anime.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 19:58   Link #2
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeReality View Post
Don't say that someone should make an anime from your watching anime.
But we already have Oreimo season one.

But anyway, I had chuunibyou when I was younger and there's already an anime named after the condition. I know what the director will take from my life to animate anyway.

Not going to talk about the quality of a me-based series for obvious reasons.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 20:22   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

My two years of Army life would be the most awesome comedy SoL evar !
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 20:43   Link #4
EscapeReality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
But we already have Oreimo season one.

But anyway, I had chuunibyou when I was younger and there's already an anime named after the condition. I know what the director will take from my life to animate anyway.

Not going to talk about the quality of a me-based series for obvious reasons.
Chuunibyous are diverse enough that I'm pretty sure many interesting animes can be made from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
My two years of Army life would be the most awesome comedy SoL evar !
I didn't know that army life could be comedical. I have to see that one.
EscapeReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 21:02   Link #5
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Yo, I survived and spent more than a few years of my life near/in the ghetto, that's gotta make an awesome anime

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 21:14   Link #6
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Chuunibyous are diverse enough that I'm pretty sure many interesting animes can be made from them.
I'm saying the only thing from my life worth animating is my chuunibyou. But yes, anyone who's gone through that can provide material for a variety of delusions.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-27, 21:49   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I want it about my parents, how they meet and faced difficulties. Lost of drama with some funny moments. May include episodes of what happen during the insurgencies of the 70s, some land adventure etc.

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-08-28 at 00:29.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 00:00   Link #8
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Well, my life is just like how this thread creator is... But somehow, I still love it. My family, friends, my books... They are not perfect, but beautiful nonetherless. You might say that when you are 7, everything like that. Maybe... But that is why I love it! Life is like a flower making from gemstone: Each time you look at it, it just doesn't stay the same. Unlike Anime.

Maybe this would be a good fact in the "Life" and "Thinking about Death" threads.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 00:21   Link #9
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Forget my life, I wanna see a story of my grandfather's.
He apparently dodged the Japanese Imperial Army drafts and ran across Asia as a merchant, setting trade routes. He snagged a daughter of a wealthy merchant while on the adventure, who became our grandma.
Old 2013-08-28, 01:04   Link #10
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Forget my life, I wanna see a story of my grandfather's.
He apparently dodged the Japanese Imperial Army drafts and ran across Asia as a merchant, setting trade routes. He snagged a daughter of a wealthy merchant while on the adventure, who became our grandma.
Spice and Wolf?
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-28, 02:16   Link #11
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
If a producer could take the most interesting or powerful aspects of your life and somehow derive an anime off of it, how would it compare to the average realistic slice-of-life anime (referring to those shows that are completely realistic, no magic or whatever)?
I never believed for a single second second that any of the life depictions in the several movies that I've seen weren't at least partially overdramatized to make them more interesting.

Whether it's "The aviator" or "A beautiful mind" and so on, I always assume that reality was duller than that.

Now anime depicting the life of real people are absolutely rare, they aren't really focused on being realistic to begin with. So when you consider that even movies embellish the truth, there's no reason to think an anime would be faithful, and if it was, it simply wouldn't work, and the people that did it should just try another job.

Could a good director and writer make something interesting and fun out of my life? Sure they could, but that would depend on them and not really on me and my story.
I'm a firm believer that execution matters a lot more than the plot anyway.

And I'll end with a Hitchcock quote: "Drama is life with the dull parts left out."

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-31, 09:50   Link #12
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I never believed for a single second second that any of the life depictions in the several movies that I've seen weren't at least partially overdramatized to make them more interesting.
And I'll end with a Hitchcock quote: "Drama is life with the dull parts left out."
Even if interactions aren't overly dramatized (something that simply adding music accomplishes), films and television series tend to only be highlights. You don't see things like eating, travel time, or simply idling, unless there's something special about it in relation to the scene before or after it. When you live it, though, it's one continuous scene and as a result the significance isn't always clear (if there's even any significance at all).

People interested in this topic may be interested in the "1 second a day" project (and application). For iOS users, it's a 99 cent application called 1 Second Everyday. I don't know if there's an Android version; you can do it manually as long as you have some way to record video and then edit it. The idea is that you take a video of something each and every day, and then trim it down to one second in length. You then combine all of your one-second clips from day to day into a film. (If you're doing this manually then you can increase the length of the clip, of course, but the idea is to have a clip that is just long enough to give some context and perhaps to jog your memories, but short enough that you won't get bored or mired in one particular clip.)

By taking a variety of video clips from your life and piecing them together, my guess is that you'll feel that your life is more interesting than you initially thought. So long as you're not taking videos of the exact same thing over and over, my guess is that even clips of "boring normality" would seem significant in some form. It is, after all, your life.