AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2014-06-14, 04:25   Link #81
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Because it feels like most JRpg lovers are so heavily biased against English VAs and simply claim them instant-fail based on a handful of "bad experience" with it. If people are exposed to that VActing for 99% of their games, then the bias and expectations is pre-set and leads to disappointment when the different non-JP voices are shown. Thus, they praise JP VA beyond heaven and turning "LALALALA JP = God! Can't hear your arguemnt LALALALA." Not here on this forum and I'm not saying the source VA is bad. JP voice acting *is* good, be it due to the language difference, inntonation, more passion of the actors or whatever, but as in every language there are exceptions that can make your ears bleed *coughTotA'sJPAnisecough*.
Because I want to play the game in its original language? Like how I don't like TLOU's JP VA, or Gear of Wars' JP VA. The reason you think JRPG lovers are biased toward Japanese audio because they are the one who are screwed the most when it come to localized JRPG. Almost for a whole generation people could get the dub in every JRPG they play, but only half of them have dual voice option. That make people who love JP voice be left out. Of course you will have people complain about it. Now the table is turned, and the same thing applied here, just opposite to what happened in the past. People who want dub started to complain.

It's just 2 sides of the same coin. Don't try to turn the blame and make the other side look bad. You have to look at the culture as a whole. Asia people tend to have higher pitch in their voice expression, and are familiar with Japanese voice while feel the English lack emotion, and vice versa. Then you have people who shoot everyone down when the dual voice option brought up, saying "just deal with the dub", "weaboo", etc.

Heck, I don't even mind paying extra to buy JP voice pack if they feel like they have to charge more. Just give it option.
Old 2014-06-14, 06:52   Link #82
Dextro
He Without a Title

Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Because I want to play the game in its original language? Like how I don't like TLOU's JP VA, or Gear of Wars' JP VA. The reason you think JRPG lovers are biased toward Japanese audio because they are the one who are screwed the most when it come to localized JRPG. Almost for a whole generation people could get the dub in every JRPG they play, but only half of them have dual voice option. That make people who love JP voice be left out. Of course you will have people complain about it. Now the table is turned, and the same thing applied here, just opposite to what happened in the past. People who want dub started to complain.

It's just 2 sides of the same coin. Don't try to turn the blame and make the other side look bad. You have to look at the culture as a whole. Asia people tend to have higher pitch in their voice expression, and are familiar with Japanese voice while feel the English lack emotion, and vice versa. Then you have people who shoot everyone down when the dual voice option brought up, saying "just deal with the dub", "weaboo", etc.

Heck, I don't even mind paying extra to buy JP voice pack if they feel like they have to charge more. Just give it option.
I'm one of the "I just want subs thanks" club and yes, I've been burned to hell and back with crappy dubs (I still can't stand some of the VA choices for Persona 4 for instance).

The thing for me is this: I would play the game fully in Japanese if I could but sadly I'm not proficient enough in the language yet so the best I can hope for is a sub-only release. I massively prefer subbed movies and shows to dubbed ones so it's only natural that the same preference applies to games as well. Living in a country where dubs were hardly cost-effective tended to make me more comfortable with subs than dubs as well.

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 06:56   Link #83
Chaos2Frozen
:)

I'm actually okay with Tales dubs, or at least the ones I've played through don't seem that offensive (Vesperia, Grace, Xillia) - They were just unfortunate to be compared against the Juggernauts of the Seiyuu world.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 07:00   Link #84
Klashikari
Swords•Maidens Maniac
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to Klashikari
Regardless if a VA is good enough or not, my huge issues with dubbing in general (regardless of the language) is that they are pretty much mismatched with the said characters.
Similarly to anime dubbing, voice actors are often picked up due to voices being "more or less fitting" according to the sound director without really much insight of the actual character and voice actor specifics.

Some exceptions exist, but in general sense, a lot of characters get the short end of a stick because of the dubbing. For example: ToS' colette sounds completely different to me when I compare JP and US (the fact it is Mizuki doesn't matter to the slightest here). The former sounds like a benevolent albeit awkward and clumsy girl, whereas the latter sounds like a pushy and annoying girl altogether.

Furthermore, dubbing also involve shortened text, since Japanese, be it spoken or written, can convey way more stuff than English, due to how grammar works with the former. Because of this and lipsynch, you have to condense speeches in english in order to wrap everything. Which means that you often have subtle points skipped altogether in english.
More often than not, the dubbed character also "gains" quirks that aren't supposed to be there to begin with.

This is also true for most media dubbed in another language as implied by Duo Maxwell: original voice actors are often picked by the actual staff behind the game/anime/movie, whereas dubbing VA are chosen by someone being responsible for the localization. In general sense, the original language VA will always have the edge against any dub VA due to this specific point, with very rare exceptions around.

That's why the argument that "if you are exposed to jp VA all the time, you get too much expectations" is totally baseless, because you don't need any specific habit to spot the obvious problems of dubbing. For instance, I wasn't really in anime whatsoever when ToS was released on GC, and I spotted immediately how derpy and unfitting Colette and Genius voices sounded back then, and that's during the period where JP audio track were nearly inexistent in video games.

Good dubs exist in video games (and to some extent, Anime), but these are the exceptions, arguably not the norm.
If people blame others for being too "weeaboo", the fallacy can be inverted and we can claim people are too lazy to read subs.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2014-06-14 at 07:14.
Klashikari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-14, 11:18   Link #85
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Regardless if a VA is good enough or not, my huge issues with dubbing in general (regardless of the language) is that they are pretty much mismatched with the said characters.
Similarly to anime dubbing, voice actors are often picked up due to voices being "more or less fitting" according to the sound director without really much insight of the actual character and voice actor specifics.

Some exceptions exist, but in general sense, a lot of characters get the short end of a stick because of the dubbing. For example: ToS' colette sounds completely different to me when I compare JP and US (the fact it is Mizuki doesn't matter to the slightest here). The former sounds like a benevolent albeit awkward and clumsy girl, whereas the latter sounds like a pushy and annoying girl altogether.
Huh, I've never had that reaction to Heather Hogan's Colette. I've always felt she and both Symphonia casts captures the character well enough, even after hearing the original cast in the Symphonia OVA's .

I like to think that I'm someone who doesn't really prefer subs over dubs or even the other way around. I usually always try and give both sides of a work a fair shot and whether I prefer one over another is more a case-by-case basis. I guess this also leads me to be a little more lenient on dubs than most people.

I've heard a lot of Tales dubs and I think generally they're pretty good and serviceable dubs, and I still think that even after getting introduced to the JP VA's through stuff like the Abyss anime and the Vesperia movie. While I'm fine with just having the Japanese cast of Hearts for R, I was actually anticipating seeing a dub for Hearts...
Old 2014-06-14, 11:46   Link #86
Shadow5YA

Heather Hogan's Colette sounds fine to me. I hear a ditzy blonde, and that's exactly what she is. I wouldn't blame the voice actor in the case if you personally think a dumb blonde has a negative connotation.
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-02, 09:38   Link #87
Chaos2Frozen
:)

Tales of Hearts R European release date set

Quote:
Tales of Hearts R will launch for PS Vita in Europe on November 14, Bandai Namco announced at Japan Expo in France.

The RPG remake will feature English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish subtitles with Japanese voice-overs.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote