Notices

Old 2004-10-10, 20:53   Link #161
Fon

Anime Official Site:

http://www.avexmode.jp/animation/yamibou/yamibou.html

The Original Game Official Site

http://www.orbit-soft.com/product/ro...yami_main.html

--------------------

I think Yami is the first anime that describe GL(girl love=lesbian) so clear.It is really fantastic

The process about Hatsuki chasing Hatsumi is some how like fairy tale "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland".The main roles jump from a world to another world,from a scene to another scene.
Fon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 00:02   Link #162
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

I'm pretty confused just from episode 1. All of a sudden the blonde disappears and then there's all this talk about Eve??? WTF.
Old 2004-10-11, 00:19   Link #163
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma
I'm pretty confused just from episode 1. All of a sudden the blonde disappears and then there's all this talk about Eve??? WTF.
It gets worst after that, or better, depending from your point of view. Its very confusing and this may seems episodic series, but in the end there is a story, it just took me a while to figure it out... I enjoyed most of the series and I loved the ending.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 00:32   Link #164
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

So this series requires a rewatch or some reflective thinking to get it? Hm...

I'm not clear on a couple of things that are keeping me from even getting the jist of it...

Spoiler:

2. Who is the blonde that has the hat? Her name is Lilith, but I don't even recall an introduction.

3. And the most important question... WTF is going on? (I don't expect an answer, I suspect I'll find out soon enough)

I only started watching this anme because many people compared it to this autumn's Kannaduki no Miko, and that it was a "timeless classic" (I know that was an exaggeration). But my mind is simply boggled.

EDIT: Nevermind about who Lilith... or Ririsu is, I understand. But now I'm starting to wonder if this series is told in chronological order. Ririsu meets Hazuki in episode 2, acting like they've already met, but then in episode 3 they've met for the first time. I guess the answer is obvious... I need to get some aspirin now... my head hurts.

Last edited by Timeless Enigma; 2004-10-11 at 01:16.
Timeless Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 01:24   Link #165
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
So this series requires a rewatch or some reflective thinking to get it? Hm...

I'm not clear on a couple of things that are keeping me from even getting the jist of it...

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
2. Who is the blonde that has the hat? Her name is Lilith, but I don't even recall an introduction.
Spoiler:

Quote:
3. And the most important question... WTF is going on? (I don't expect an answer, I suspect I'll find out soon enough)

I only started watching this anme because many people compared it to this autumn's Kannaduki no Miko, and that it was a "timeless classic" (I know that was an exaggeration). But my mind is simply boggled.

Keep watching. As things progress you'll start to get the gist of what's going on (I understood it from the first episode right off the bat, actually, but I'm special. )

Spoiler:

*whew*

Personally I loved this series. I hope you get to understnad things better after a second viewing.
Old 2004-10-11, 01:26   Link #166
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
EDIT: Nevermind about who Lilith... or Ririsu is, I understand. But now I'm starting to wonder if this series is told in chronological order. Ririsu meets Hazuki in episode 2, acting like they've already met, but then in episode 3 they've met for the first time. I guess the answer is obvious... I need to get some aspirin now... my head hurts.

Yes, the series jumps around a bit. They only stick to a rough chronological order, but everything else is kinda jumpy.

I guess they're trying to drive home the point that time is a meaningless construct in regards to Yamibou, or something.
Old 2004-10-11, 01:36   Link #167
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Yup, ep3 is where they first meet, there's a fast forward from the first part of ep1 and the night train part of ep1. the chronological order should be Hatsuki in her home in ep1 -> Hatsuki meets Lilith in ep3 -> Hatsuki on night train in ep1, I think. There is also that Hatsuki/Hatsumi episode which the entire episode is a flashback...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 18:10   Link #168
Timeless Enigma
Tsushima Masaki

Well, I've finished this series. I'm scratching my head a lot less now. I don't really think it was well done considering it depended on having the viewer play the game. Kind of like watching a sequel without seeing the prequel.

It was a good series, but without Miyuki's generous explanation starting from the beginning of episode 2, I likely would have stopped watching.

EDIT: What's the deal is Hatsuki's leg being perpetually loosely bandaged? Is that explained in the game?
Old 2004-10-11, 21:52   Link #169
catcat
M.O.M.O ^_^

if i remember correctly, the loose bandages around Hatsuki's leg are the same bandages Hatsumi had around her wrist when Hatsuki cut Hatsumi's wrist in ep 1. i might be wrong though...it's been a while.
catcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-11, 23:12   Link #170
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
There is also that Hatsuki/Hatsumi episode which the entire episode is a flashback...
Woo yeah, where Hatsuki listens in on Eve using the toilet, and then does a (ahem) six minute workout?

Hell yeah! Very clever of the animators to be able to depict such a perversion without making it "ew, yuck!" hentai. I liked that anime.

-k

curious
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-12, 01:49   Link #171
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Wow, it's been so long since I watched this anime and I just watched it because I loved Carnalian's work. It was a memorable anime like a "Alice in Wonderland" kind of story so it's pretty good anime, imo.
Old 2006-09-04, 03:05   Link #172
Bloodseeker

Just downloaded this at random and... damn, the video quality is bugging the hell out of me. I feel like I'm watching it on Youtube or something... or at least like I'm using VirtualDubMod to watch it on DVD. It glitches every time there's more than just a bit of movement. Does Miyuki ever pick up the video quality or at all?

Edit: Wow, this fansub sucks. I found a few grammar errors, went to use VirtualDubMod to take screencaps so that I could gripe about them later, only to have VDM shut down on me every time that I scanned over the episode. WTF?! That's especially bad because this show already has some good screencap material...

Edit #2: That's better. Thanks to a bit of research and some help, I managed to get passed VDM problem. And I haven't noticed any more blaring grammar errors since then, either. Video quality is still meh, though.

I like this show so far. Not great, but it doesn't seem like its going to be six hours of my life that I'm going to want back, either.

Last edited by Bloodseeker; 2006-09-04 at 04:49.
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 02:14   Link #173
Bloodseeker

Just finished it.

The video quality seemed to get better when I wasn't paying attention... or maybe I just got used to it. The fansub was actually alright. I liked that they explained the backstory.

Most of the cast was meh. It wasn't like Lain where I wanted to strangle the whole lot of them, but I didn't really care about them one way or the other. Eve really didn't have much of a character beyond being some generic innocent benevolent divine being. At least she looked cute. Ken-chan wasn't really funny (as hard as he tried) or cute like mascots characters should be. Hatsuki... nothing wrong with her, I just didn't care about her. Gargantua just sucked. He had the stupid Shinji Matou haircut, and those dumb poses and annoying henchmen.

Spoiler:

The only regular Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito (damn that's a long title) that I liked was Ririsu. (looks like she might be known as Lilith in some other fansubs) Meirin (the first foxgirl) should have been a regular too. They were cute. Why would Ririsu have trouble getting a guy again? I'd take someone like her over someone like Eve any day.

The fights in this series were crap (I was hoping that Hatsuki was about to go Samurai Champloo on those samurai and ninjas... that would have made me like her a lot more), but that didn't seem to be a primary focus anyways.

Overall though, I did enjoy this show. Its one of those series that's not particularly action packed, funny (though I did laugh a few times), crazy, dramatic, or deep, nor does it have a particularly strong story (though the backstory is well built and the concepts are good), but it still manages to always be mildly entertaining.

6.8/10
Old 2006-09-05, 03:04   Link #174
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the show was ok, but my gosh do i love the yuri fan service in all the fan creations and game CG's

Last edited by Potatochobit; 2006-09-05 at 03:24.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 03:54   Link #175
tritoch

Hmm.. Think of this series this way..

You have a fairytale book with different stories and different worlds. Our heroine with the sword comes from a particular story in that book. Now what if that girl jumps out of that book and turned a page and jumped in.. what you get? Yami to boushi. Its only confusing since you only get segments of the real story until ofcourse the last 2 episodes where it hits you bad.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 17:29   Link #176
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Wow. Glad to see this topic raise it's head again.

As for the video quality, don't think of the entire show as having bad video quality. In truth it's video quality is nothing short of stunning. The fansubs just crunch it down a lot. Xvid wasn't very well accepted or known at the time it came out. If you can find a raw or garagesub that wasn't compressed poorly, or better yet somehow get a chance to see the DVDs, you'll be amazed. It's visuals can run neck-and-neck with even modern series.

And yeah, Ririsu is awesome. She ranks #1 in many of my perverse-related ":best character" categories, such as "Favourite body" "Coolest costume" "Best witchgirl" and "biggest hat"

Tho I think it's moreso that she'd have trouble finding a guy that'd meet her standards. She seems to be exceptionally opened minded about those things, and those types never get to learn what true love really is. She just confuses it with feelings like dependance and pride.
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-05, 20:43   Link #177
Bloodseeker

Not being able find someone that meets her high standards being the problem would suggest that Ririsu would be the one that's doing the dumping. Ririsu's reaction when she thought that Gargantua had a crush on her and the way that Aaya reacted when she left Gargantua's world suggested that she's usually the one that gets dumped.
Old 2006-09-07, 05:34   Link #178
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs
Vampie Walrus. Big fangs

Well, regarding that, would you want to date a girl who could trap you in a whatsit crystal if you made her made? Or worse yet, just because she felt like it?

Also, some people just take a "flirt for life" policy and live for thrills.

<shrugs>
Dragnfly@Gamefaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 01:00   Link #179
Cyz
"Show it to me"

This anime is confusing. So it's made up of different stories no? But somehow, I can't seem to grasp the main idea. Well, the ending is fine and all but it's somehow open ended IMO.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-18, 01:10   Link #180
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me