AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-01-22, 21:08   Link #21
SlugZilla
woofles

I'll take the cheaper format any day(which is HD-DVD). I think the difference will be clear in a few years when they become affordable for consumers, the price will be the biggest draw. HD-DVD does use the blue laser technology too.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 22:22   Link #22
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

I love the people who think DVD is good enough. I can only assume that people who say this do not, in fact, have eyes.
Old 2007-01-22, 23:35   Link #23
Ewok

Send a message via MSN to Ewok
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3psi View Post
Can someone please explain how the wavelength thingy works with blu-ray vs. dvd laser and why it's better?
This is the year 2007, where are the hologram movie disks that get directly uploaded into your cerberal cortex. On second thought, I bet people would die from massive brain hemorrhages from movies like gigli and gliter.
My bad, thw wavelength is the same. The aperature is different, so the laser can "focus" better and put more data in a smaller area meaning Bluray has more storage than HDDVD. Also the speed is higher on Bluray (54Mbps vs 36.55Mbps). Not to mention that Bluray has deals with more studios for content ((Warner, Paramount, Fox, Disney, Sony, MGM and Lionsgate will release their films on Bluray, Warner, Paramount and Universal on HDDVD) as well as more companies supporting and making Bluray players and recorders, such as Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp, JVC, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, TDK, Thomson, LG, Apple, HP and Dell.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-23, 10:01   Link #24
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Pressed disks only have a 10 year expected shelf life, possibly 20 if you took REALLY good care of them. Again, easily provable by a google search.
I call bullshit on this. Assuming you don't store them extraordinarily hot or cold environments (or environments that change between those extremes regularly), pressed optical media has a shelf life MUCH longer than 20 years. Or, I suppose you mean if you "don't treat them like shit." "REALLY good care" suggests gloves and a clean room. If you just hold a CD by the edges and center and put it back in its jewel case like you ought and don't throw it around like a complete piece of shit (or slide it against other things, etc.) a pressed CD will last much longer than 20 years. It certainly won't just degrade by sitting in its jewel case for that long.
Old 2007-01-23, 21:38   Link #25
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Right now Blu Ray Burners are tad expensive so I prefer HD DVD . Once the prices drop I am going for Blu Ray till then I dont mind waiting did the same thing for dvd burner too ..
Old 2007-01-23, 22:36   Link #26
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the xbox HD DVD add on is a joke. you can just buy a stand alone player, its not like it will be used for anything else really.

but as for the topic, i still use regular DVDs untill anime companies stop being cheap and put more than 3 or 4 episodes on 1 DVD. when they release blu ray with 8 episodes on 1 disc, then i will change format. its not like their is a quality improvement in anime right now, its pretty much the same on DVD or bluray. look at the Air box set for example, disappointing? i think so.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-24, 02:19   Link #27
LSD-25
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
I call bullshit on this. Assuming you don't store them extraordinarily hot or cold environments (or environments that change between those extremes regularly), pressed optical media has a shelf life MUCH longer than 20 years. Or, I suppose you mean if you "don't treat them like shit." "REALLY good care" suggests gloves and a clean room. If you just hold a CD by the edges and center and put it back in its jewel case like you ought and don't throw it around like a complete piece of shit (or slide it against other things, etc.) a pressed CD will last much longer than 20 years. It certainly won't just degrade by sitting in its jewel case for that long.
I still have old Mega-CD and Neo-Geo CD games laying around and all of them play perfectly. I've backed them up *just in case* and play the back-ups when possible (saves wear on the media and my old hardware).

The problem with these newer formats is the layers. One scratch will cost you far more data these days then it did back when all we had were CDs.

I'm not saying your stuff will last forever, or even a life time... But if you take care of it 20, 30, maybe 40 years is not out of the question. Hell could be longer then that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
I love the people who think DVD is good enough. I can only assume that people who say this do not, in fact, have eyes.
A lot of us still don't own HDTVs. So buying anything released on a next-gen format is not really much use to us unless we're building a collection for when we upgrade.
LSD-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-24, 03:51   Link #28
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Lord Raiden's post was full of misinformation and nonsense.

Optical disk life expectancy - 20-100 years, according to NIST, and 100+ years according to manufacturers.
http://www.gcn.com/print/23_5/25166-1.html?topic=news

The primary decay mechanism in pressed disks is aluminum decay caused by high humidity and damaged disks. So, undamaged disks in non-tropical areas should have the higher life-expectancy. As for burnt disks... don't use RW's for archiving. Burn-once versions have at least the same expectancy as pressed disks. So - from where did you pull your claimed '2-5 years'? I have never even heard of an optical disk failing from age.

However... let's enter the real world for a second. 100 DVDRs = 470GB = $26 last time I bought them... but say $40-$50 typically, for $0.10/GB. Flash memory, at Newegg: Around $10/GB, or 100x as expensive. Is there any real question about which people will use for archiving large amounts of data? Or for profit-oriented companies, which they will use for distribution of bulk data? Raiden, your claims and ideas are laughable.

Flash is typically rated at 100,000 - 1,000,000 write/erase cycles, not 100,000,000. And as for shelf life... it was difficult, but I found it! Flash, when rated, is generally rated for a 10-year data retention span.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=331306

P.S. About the 10 years number, it seems contradicted in other places, so don't rely on it. Perhaps Flash will typically last much longer, but manufacturers don't seem to claim that, whereas they do with disks.

Last edited by Saber Cherry; 2007-01-24 at 04:29. Reason: Found info
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-24, 04:12   Link #29
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Saber, flash can last from 1 million programming cycles to a couple millions.
I am not going to deny that optical media at this time is cheaper, but when it comes to storage, there's also space concerns, performance factors. The rapid pace of developments of solid state drives using flash as of late, the future of optical disc storage is in doubt.

The largest flash drives today can reach 150Gigabytes, although the cost to having this unit is... a grand at least. It won't be taking over anytime soon of course, but SSD is becoming the way that systems will be heading. Flash are beginning to be used as another kind of cache in systems to alleviate the bottleneck, and their use as portable storage makes further development very much an expected turn of event. I wouldn't be surprised that within a year, SSD will become performance machines' standard part... with mainstream adoption happening soon after.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-24, 04:15   Link #30
olivia

I STRONGLY CHOSEN FOR BLUERAY TECHNOLOGY. WHICH WAS ONE OF THE MODERN TECHNIQUE.

software
HelpDeskManagement
CallCenterSoftware
quick-slim-diet-pill.info
olivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-24, 19:17   Link #31
Takeru
Jag äter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru
Blu-Ray. I mean, come on. Who doesn't love 50GB worth of raw space? HD-DVD single layer only has 30GB. I mean, I would pay big bucks for a disc that holds 10GB more than my laptops entire HardDisk space!
Old 2007-02-07, 02:28   Link #32
Hentai Guy
REdiculous (see profile)

Location: I live in a freakin' desert...not even a cool desert with cacti and stuff...just a whole lot o' nada
If I had to choose? I don't know I've never had an HDTV so the point is fairly moot to me...besides, personally I think the CD type of technology is flawed. I don't like media that's so easily damaged. Yeah, it's cheap to produce, but that's all it really has going for it...
Hentai Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 03:15   Link #33
whitewater_81
...sigh...

Send a message via MSN to whitewater_81 Send a message via Yahoo to whitewater_81
hmmmmmm.......i have an xbox 360....and an HD-DVD add on......soooo...

i'll go with HD-DVD!
Old 2007-02-07, 08:58   Link #34
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

In the end there are exclusive titles to each format, so the best bet is to have the ability to play both. I'll have HD-DVD playback via my 360 soon, but I'd imagine I'll get a stand-alone combo player once there's one that supports HDMI 1.3 and all the necessary audio codecs for each disk. Maybe that LG one, if it gets good reviews.
Old 2007-02-07, 09:37   Link #35
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I don't like Blu Ray's regions.
Japan and America share their region but Europe got a different one? Bleh, that sucks.

Either way, I hope there will be a definite "winner" among the two formats. Two coexisting standards just create problems.
Old 2007-02-07, 12:56   Link #36
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Much as I hate more restrictions, now that the basic encryption for both has been sidestepped, the extra security features of Blu-Ray will make it more attractive to studios. HD-DVD may die pretty quickly. We'll see.

In either case, AIR will be on Blu-Ray.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-07, 16:11   Link #37
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
Well so far there's no anime on HD-DVD (yet), only on Blu-Ray. So my vote is placed on Blu-Ray.
I just watched my first Blu-Ray movie (on my PS3) last night and I can definatly say the quality is amazing. Anyone who says that there's "no reason" for Blu-Ray or HD-DVD should go compare either format to a regular DVD on an HDTV.
To the people who say that "physical media is going the way of the dinosaur" sorry but you're wrong. 1. The majority of the US still doesn't have broadband. 2. The majority of the US still has only a basic understanding of how to use computers. 3. Full 1080p media files are huge, and full 7.1 audio adds even more. Even those of us who do have broadband will have to wait a long time before the files are downloaded. Most people would prefer to just go out and buy a hardcopy since it's faster. 4. Storage. Most people who buy a movie want to watch at least twice, but keeping huge video files on hard drives will be a pain, even with the cost of hard drives as low as it is now.
Old 2007-02-08, 08:28   Link #38
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
But the PS3 games are on Blue Laser Media. Those type of formats are there to expand the space of storing things.
I was quite impressed with the amount of content SquareEnix stuffed into the single DVD for Final Fantasy XII -- huge maps, cut scenes, and amazing graphics for a PS/2. I'd been used to RPGs coming on two DVDs these days (e.g., Shadow Hearts 2/3) so I was a bit surprised when I opened the box for FF XII. Once I started playing the game my surprise turned to awe.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote