AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-13, 10:45   Link #941
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Daisuki-chan, check your inbox later today. Also; a quick aside. Whenever I say that a change is "major," I'm referencing the effect it has on future events instead of the immediacy of the action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbwk View Post
And yes I totally agree with someone who saids that the comparison are biased toward the manga.
I completely agree with this statement myself. The comparisons are using the manga as a benchmark. If the animated adaptations deviate, unless the spirit of the scene is preserved, then I typically criticize regardless of who made it.

Anyways, this episode was good. I think that Mike's lurch from the shadows could have been done better, but the director managed to capture Gon's fear perfectly. Next week should cover chapter 41 and a bit of chapter 42. Chapter 41 is one of my all-time favorite chapters in HxH, so I hope that it's done justice.

Last edited by Toto y Moi; 2012-03-13 at 11:32.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-13, 18:21   Link #942
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

original story movie announced
Old 2012-03-14, 03:20   Link #943
Daisuki-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto y Moi View Post
Daisuki-chan, check your inbox later today. Also; a quick aside. Whenever I say that a change is "major," I'm referencing the effect it has on future events instead of the immediacy of the action.
Like I've said, people may each decide for themselves how major (or minor) something is (i.e. the intensity), including in a polarity counter to yours (e.g. positive about a change you're negative about), and nothing you try will ever make your opinion more valid than theirs (regarding a change). Do you not wholeheartedly agree with this? I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
I wonder when during the story they'll set the movie. Maybe it'll finally cover Kaito. ;p
Daisuki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 03:52   Link #944
Azuma Denton
~AD~

And followed by the hiatus news...
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ted-run-to-end
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 16:46   Link #945
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuki-chan View Post
I wonder when during the story they'll set the movie. Maybe it'll finally cover Kaito. ;p
The movie will be 5 minutes long?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-14, 18:27   Link #946
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

new op & ed on april 15
Old 2012-03-14, 23:00   Link #947
Daisuki-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
The movie will be 5 minutes long?
Don't get my hopes up. ;p
Old 2012-03-15, 16:10   Link #948
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

The thing about Kite is that he really doesn't get that important until much later. Yes he was supposed to appear near the beginning of the story. But only to suddenly appear and then tell Gon about his dad before buggering off somewhere again.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a pretty cool character. But I don't think skipping over that tiny bit does a lot of damage.
Old 2012-03-15, 19:27   Link #949
Daisuki-chan

He's very important to Gon, and now he'll just be (ambitiously assuming ideal conditions) a character (in this sentence's beginning's sense) added in a flashback, which never works as well. You can't retroactively give Gon motivations, information, etc. and expect everyone to feel like it's really meaningful. Of course if you just don't care because you already know about him from the manga and/or old anime that's fine, but I didn't personally wave away Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood's rushed first quarter because I had already seen Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) before... I like to consider things more by themselves, unless they're sequels or similar, but that's no different from any normal production in a serial story. Anyway, that's just me.
Old 2012-03-15, 19:48   Link #950
Toto y Moi
Amor Fati

Quote:
He's very important to Gon, and now he'll just be (ambitiously assuming ideal conditions) a character (in this sentence's beginning's sense) added in a flashback, which never works as well. You can't retroactively give Gon motivations, information, etc. and expect everyone to feel like it's really meaningful.
But Kite IS a character added in a flashback. It's not like the story starts out with Gon's past.
Toto y Moi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 22:43   Link #951
Daisuki-chan

That's great but he was added far before he "needed" to be (for better effect), and where he was added let us know things that the new anime must not care particularly much about.
Old 2012-03-17, 06:21   Link #952
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
He's very important to Gon, and now he'll just be (ambitiously assuming ideal conditions) a character (in this sentence's beginning's sense) added in a flashback, which never works as well. You can't retroactively give Gon motivations, information, etc. and expect everyone to feel like it's really meaningful. Of course if you just don't care because you already know about him from the manga and/or old anime that's fine, but I didn't personally wave away Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood's rushed first quarter because I had already seen Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) before... I like to consider things more by themselves, unless they're sequels or similar, but that's no different from any normal production in a serial story. Anyway, that's just me.
He wants to become a hunter because he wants to meet his dad. That's all the motivation he needs.
Old 2012-03-17, 20:29   Link #953
Daisuki-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
He wants to become a hunter because he wants to meet his dad. That's all the motivation he needs.
If you're satisfied, fine. But Kaito gave him more than that, emotionally and materially, and what you mentioned still won't make him fit well as important to Gon later, as flashbacks (and I don't mean recaps) that retcon feelings into existence aren't as effective to me. Having a flashback (or achronological storytelling) be a major part of the first chapter isn't a bad thing to me in this case because it was clearly alongside Gon, who was just being introduced, starting out and why (first chapter!), rather than something hacked on later, as it will have to be in this adaptation.

Last edited by Daisuki-chan; 2012-03-17 at 20:40. Reason: Clarification
Old 2012-03-17, 20:36   Link #954
Exophase

I for one think that leaving out Kaito, in the manga, would have seriously impacted my reaction to later plot events and understanding of Gon's character. Unfortunately, since we're not allowed to discuss spoilers even in spoiler tags I can't really try to make my case. All I can really say is that if the audience had no idea who Kaito was things would feel very different for a number of reasons, and any attempt to flashback to include it then would feel forced and unnatural.

What I would be interested in is a real justification for why he was cut. Because I always assumed it indicated that they had no intention of actually making enough anime for it to be relevant.
Exophase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 23:22   Link #955
Funkatron
Highly irregular

So, Killua's Mom is a real bitch. Anyone know her seiyu? I want to say maybe Hisakawa Aya (Cure Moonlighto ). Also I hope that girl survived a shot to the hea... who am I kidding, she's dead. This is Hunter X Hunter, where a death toll is the norm.

RIP cool girl
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 23:56   Link #956
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exophase View Post
I for one think that leaving out Kaito, in the manga, would have seriously impacted my reaction to later plot events and understanding of Gon's character. Unfortunately, since we're not allowed to discuss spoilers even in spoiler tags I can't really try to make my case. All I can really say is that if the audience had no idea who Kaito was things would feel very different for a number of reasons, and any attempt to flashback to include it then would feel forced and unnatural.
You're absolutely right. Even if they bother to include Kite at this point, so many mentions of him were cut that the damage is done already.

Btw, for some reason the new anime forgot that Kurapika changed his outfit.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 00:49   Link #957
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

good foreshadowing there with the zoldyck silluethes but theres one more i dont remember seeing in the manga¿ a greatgrandmother?, im glad they dint drag things so much, the episode was well done, and this migth sound stupid but the way thsy animated kalluto kimono when he was walking in the dungeon was quite amazing.and the next episode preview, was that namiko noto saying oniichan? also its good to see dark schnei... ehr i mean silva animated again.
Old 2012-03-18, 03:33   Link #958
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
If you're satisfied, fine. But Kaito gave him more than that, emotionally and materially, and what you mentioned still won't make him fit well as important to Gon later, as flashbacks (and I don't mean recaps) that retcon feelings into existence aren't as effective to me. Having a flashback (or achronological storytelling) be a major part of the first chapter isn't a bad thing to me in this case because it was clearly alongside Gon, who was just being introduced, starting out and why (first chapter!), rather than something hacked on later, as it will have to be in this adaptation.
Maybe you'll be more convincing if you're less cryptic about it.

"Kite gave him more than that"?

Like what exactly? What else did he do other than spill the beans about Gon's dad. Where else did he appear other than the first 10 minutes of the original anime?
Old 2012-03-18, 04:36   Link #959
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This seemed to be different from the manga. There wasn't really a whole dedicated training scene and I thought each of them was able to open up the door on their own (Gon was even jumping around in his little vest to the amazement of Kurapika).

Not bad, but still it made it feel very drawn out in anime form.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-18, 05:07   Link #960
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

actually it would have been better if they had nerfed killua too, after all possesing that stranght get contradictory later in the manga,also the trining part seems to be only to shown gon's personality.

Tags
action, shounen