Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-23, 00:30   Link #5201
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Funny now that you've mentioned this... we've all seen destruction depicted in anime more powerful than any present (or possibly future) nuclear weapons can ever accomplish. Annihilation of galaxies, ripping dimensions, collapsing of entire universes or multiple universes are A-OK, but no nuclear bombs... nope...
Science fictional technology is not under Japan's jurisdiction
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 00:49   Link #5202
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Funny now that you've mentioned this... we've all seen destruction depicted in anime more powerful than any present (or possibly future) nuclear weapons can ever accomplish. Annihilation of galaxies, ripping dimensions, collapsing of entire universes or multiple universes are A-OK, but no nuclear bombs... nope...

- Tak
Check out Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei. There be a damned nuke in that one (actually clean nuke, straight E=MC^2, no plutonium needed)

Images
Boom!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

That said, if we're talking about weapons of mass destruction:

Old 2013-03-23, 02:46   Link #5203
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Science fictional technology is not under Japan's jurisdiction
I think Tak's point is that Japan seems to be fine with depicting wide-scale destruction by any other means, including sci-fi devices more devastating than anything available to mankind at this time. And yet they try to skirt around the issue of nuclear weapons and sometimes even take steps to prevent calling them as such (ex. Macross' Reaction Warheads).

The attitude has loosened up in a while (Gundam SEED being the last mainstream example I know that uses the term nuclear energy and has actual nuclear weapons). Still, between using "Nuclear weapons" and another sci-fi weapon that acts the same but has a different name, for some reason they choose the latter.

And now for something completely different...

The Sunkus-K convenience stores in Mito are selling a Yukari special Katsu-Curry set today it seems:

*me totally wants it*

And among other things, the official site is showing off some more merchandise, including this most totally sweet cap:

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2013-03-23 at 03:13.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 04:08   Link #5204
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The hardest thing...would be to get Sensha-do to actually happen. And I don't mean an e-Sports scene for World of Tanks or something similar (though if done like Girls und Panzers that might be amusing as well). Actual replica tanks in mock, but yet real combat would be something to behiold.

Though having railcar carried flat screen monitors the size of Leopold would also be a awesome.

(Only a few days left to the finale. Will there be more later? Or will this be the ending?)
Old 2013-03-23, 05:55   Link #5205
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

So this sign was spotted at Oarai recently:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon
Even local construction firms have notice saying something along the line of "damaged due to senshado match. making claim from senshado association."
And in related news, the final episode of GuP was just shown in theaters in Oarai today, which means the next couple of days is gonna be rife with SPOILERS. You have been warned.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2013-03-23, 06:04   Link #5206
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

That's a pretty classy move, showing the eps in the town that the anime put on the map. Looks like this is a good year for Ooarai and the JGSDF?

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 06:14   Link #5207
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The hardest thing...would be to get Sensha-do to actually happen. And I don't mean an e-Sports scene for World of Tanks or something similar (though if done like Girls und Panzers that might be amusing as well). Actual replica tanks in mock, but yet real combat would be something to behiold.

Though having railcar carried flat screen monitors the size of Leopold would also be a awesome.

(Only a few days left to the finale. Will there be more later? Or will this be the ending?)
Even if we invent that "carbon", we won't be able to have as much fun as they can. Modern safety sensibilities worldwide won't allow it. I think they won't even allow for live-shooting, and how much less fun it'll be without the explosions!

As for the finale, I pray for Oarai's victory. I think the author is going down that route but they like any others can pull a bait-and-switch so I have to pray for them. That's all.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 06:20   Link #5208
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The fact that they played up the Black Forest weaknesses this episode is clearly a setup for an Oarai victory.

Not because Oarai is better than they appear, but because Black Forest is worse than they look. Black Forest will lose because they have exploitable weaknesses caused by the mechanical and inflexible plans of Nishizumi style. This is not about tanks, but combat doctrines. Miho needs to prove her own path can stand on its own even when faced against the power of her family.
Old 2013-03-23, 06:32   Link #5209
arkhangelsk

I'll say they have been putting in the preparation throughout the entire store to allow themselves to plausibly depict Black Forest being their Ep11 state (instead of being a sharp team worthy of the name Champion), and yes, it enables the finale to plausibly show an Oarai victory on both technical and literary levels.

I congratulate the author and team on being so throughout - with usual shows I'll likely be inclined to side with those who say newbie team Oarai shouldn't be allowed to win.

Still, the author does leave enough elements that he can technically pull a 180. Oh I'm sure even if they do it'll be awesome, but I hadn't felt such monochromatic feelings that a particular team has to lose for a long time.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 07:08   Link #5210
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Images
I Believe I Can Fly
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2013-03-23, 09:04   Link #5211
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
I think Tak's point is that Japan seems to be fine with depicting wide-scale destruction by any other means, including sci-fi devices more devastating than anything available to mankind at this time. And yet they try to skirt around the issue of nuclear weapons and sometimes even take steps to prevent calling them as such (ex. Macross' Reaction Warheads).

The attitude has loosened up in a while (Gundam SEED being the last mainstream example I know that uses the term nuclear energy and has actual nuclear weapons). Still, between using "Nuclear weapons" and another sci-fi weapon that acts the same but has a different name, for some reason they choose the latter.
Well, that's the point I was making. Once they put the word "nuclear" in anything, the Japanese government will be making a fuss, while any science fiction terms will be passed over. That's why they went with the latter.
Old 2013-03-23, 09:18   Link #5212
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Well, that's the point I was making. Once they put the word "nuclear" in anything, the Japanese government will be making a fuss, while any science fiction terms will be passed over. That's why they went with the latter.
Things get tricky since the tsunami. Even the beloved Doraemon had its nuclear powersource struck out and now retroactively he just has a nameless powerplant.

Japan always had a bipolar attitude with nuclear energy. Frankly the country NEED the fission powerplants to keep the nation running as they can't afford shipping in fossil fuels. I will cheer if one day we no longer need fission, but not more or less than cheering for the day we no longer need to burn coal.

Renewables are not there yet. Japan knows the country need fission, the population just likes to pretend they don't.
Old 2013-03-23, 10:33   Link #5213
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
And yet they try to skirt around the issue of nuclear weapons and sometimes even take steps to prevent calling them as such (ex. Macross' Reaction Warheads).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui04 View Post
Well Macross had them go by another name And once the Zentraedi found they had those, they considered them a real threat.
That had been a misunderstanding for a while by fans, since it was unclear. That is until the time of Macross 7, Kawamori stated those to be anti-matter weapons. The way they work can be found in the novels for Macross Frontier, where matter interact with anti-matter introduced from fold space... and well, you get a mini super-nova in the process. Of course, thats nothing compared to dimension bombs.

Besides, nuclear weapons actually do not work/explode in outer space. NASA tested that a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Renewables are not there yet. Japan knows the country need fission, the population just likes to pretend they don't.
Eh, we have people like those around the world... they will eventually cool-down, though. Hopefully.

Protests are a way to vent one's frustration. I say let them do that. Its a good, healthy outlet.

Quote:
Not because Oarai is better than they appear, but because Black Forest is worse than they look. Black Forest will lose because they have exploitable weaknesses caused by the mechanical and inflexible plans of Nishizumi style. This is not about tanks, but combat doctrines. Miho needs to prove her own path can stand on its own even when faced against the power of her family.
If the opponent was a complete douche, I would have cheered for Oorai's victory. But Maho isn't a douche...

- Tak (Conflicted thoughts!!)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2013-03-23 at 10:47.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 10:41   Link #5214
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
The fact that they played up the Black Forest weaknesses this episode is clearly a setup for an Oarai victory.

Maybe, maybe not. I think things can swing either way.
Old 2013-03-23, 12:40   Link #5215
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. I think things can swing either way.
Then Oarai is already better off. We are talking about a team that suffers both a quality AND quantity disadvantage in their hardware. The very fact that you are willing to give them equal odds despite that, is telling on how weak Black Forest actually is as a team.
Old 2013-03-23, 12:43   Link #5216
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Then Oarai is already better off. We are talking about a team that suffers both a quality AND quantity disadvantage in their hardware. The very fact that you are willing to give them equal odds despite that, is telling on how weak Black Forest actually is as a team.
More like this is a story, not "reality". If this was "reality" I would bet on Kuromorimine.

Also, I rather not deal with anti-Kuromorimine discussions (given the large perception differences between those who know their panzers and those that don't), but I will be laughing at the rage that will certainly explode if Kuromorimine wins.
Old 2013-03-23, 12:55   Link #5217
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
More like this is a story, not "reality". If this was "reality" I would bet on Kuromorimine.
When you say "reality", I assume you mean disregarding the sub-par performance of the Blackforest crews?

Frankly when I first saw the end of ep 10, I had assumed that the people crewing those impressive line of German heavy tanks would be as skilled as Maho was. But after ep 11 we see that they aren't much better than any other opposition team in the show so far.

On the other hand, Miho's crew improved battle after battle.

In "Reality", assuming the crew compositions are the same as the anime and not using actual soldiers, I would still give Blackforest 50% odds. Having a better crew matters.
Old 2013-03-23, 12:58   Link #5218
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

One wonders if other schools have funding problems as well and only field a limited number of tanks.

While I would think most of the schools in the tournament probably can field ten tanks, I am not so sure they can field 15 or 20 tanks. The reasoning would be that the board of education is looking for more participants, and it is not entirely unreasonable to assume that Ooarai is not the only school that doesn't have much in the way of a Senshado team. (also how was the structure of the tournament done without Ooarai since that would leave 15 schools)

Some schools might have as much as Ooarai did at the start, but one would assume they would have spent enough to field the full ten for the openning rounds. However they probably would not have the extra five to ten tanks for the semifinals and finals if the schools didn't think they could realistically advance that far.

A school like Anzio was fielding seven tanks and SPGs with three tankettes. If they had beat Ooarai to get to the Semifinals to face Pravda, just what would they have been able to do? What five tanks could they have added, or did they even have five tanks to add?

Somehow I can see some schools having ten tanks for the tournament with five ready for the Semifinals, but not having any or many tanks for the finals, as 15 on 20 isn't really that bad of odds in a eliminate the flag tank match. While you can't afford an attrition fight, you can afford a breakthrough fight to get to their flag tank.

Schools like Black Forest Peak (THE senshado school), Saunders (the rich school), and probably Pravda and St. Glorianna, would be able to field 20 tanks without too much of a problem. But what of the other schools that aren't representing the major powers of the Second World War (that had large tank arms)?
Old 2013-03-23, 13:04   Link #5219
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Yeah, you can have as much superior tech and equipment as you want, but if you don't have a good, trained (and experienced can help too) crew to man that equipment, than unless the tech is just THAT vastly superior, then it won't make as great a difference against slightly inferior tech, but with a well-trained, experienced crew manning it.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-23, 13:04   Link #5220
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Schools like Black Forest Peak (THE senshado school), Saunders (the rich school), and probably Pravda and St. Glorianna, would be able to field 20 tanks without too much of a problem. But what of the other schools that aren't representing the major powers of the Second World War (that had large tank arms)?
That's why I believe there are sponsorship deals relating to "themed" senshado schools.

The Koala school, for example, might have shitty tanks but gets funding from Australian exporting companies who use them for advertising.

It is my personally fanon that Oarai went broke because they didn't have a theme, and as such didn't get a sponsor.

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks