AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 24 (FINAL) Rating
Perfect 10 210 67.09%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 61 19.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 9.58%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 2.24%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.32%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.32%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.32%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 0.64%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-16, 12:53   Link #41
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Beautiful. Every character had a telling cameo. Kaga-Kona were so great together. Patty (Sasaki Nozomi) had her time in the sun. Konata dressed as Yuki the witch was an image for the ages. I liked Aaya doing Minorin, too. And the Minami-Yutaka dress-up was great, as well.

The credits say this episode was actually written by the mangaka, Yoshimitsu Kagami. First episode he's written. It seemed to be something new, not from the manga (is that so, manga-readers?), and perhaps they wanted to make sure it didn't stray from the spirit of Lucky Star, while still wrapping up and getting Motteke Sailor Fuku in it. It was directed by Ishidate Taichi, who has directed many eps of this, Kanon, and Haruhi. And he also did the storyboard -- along with the overall director, Takemoto Yasuhiro.

I have no problem doing without an OP: they did the OP later, with the new animation -- some good new things, along with re-use of bits from the original (with a new background). Maybe my only problem was the ED: I know it was unrealistic, but I was getting my hopes up for a live Motteke from the cast. This was a decent song from Shiraishi, with a good feeling in the visuals, but nothing special. At first, I was disappointed in the actual ending, when we see the light of the curtains opening. More, I want more! But the feeling gradually sinks in: of endings, and of beginnings. Sasuga Yoshimitsu-sensei.

When this series started, I was just pleased it was pretty good. Now by the end, I realize that it was very good indeed. Not a little side-show for Kyoto Animation, but a major work.

EDIT: I think that what Patty bribes Konata with is a ticket to a Hirano Aya handshake session.

EDIT2: If there's enough money to be made, I guess it could happen, but I don't see a second season. Since the main four are about to graduate, is there enough in the manga to do a season based around Yutaka-Minami-Patty-Hiyorin?

By the way, thanks to moyism for everything, and particularly for being so quick this week. With something or other.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-09-16 at 13:32.
Old 2007-09-16, 12:58   Link #42
Moridin

Soooooooo.. Im left sitting here in my chair, feeling both satisfied and a little "lonely". Dont want it to be over!
I liked this episode, but im going to wait to vote on it until I have seen the subed version. Some series I understand well without subs, but Lucky star is way above my level of japanese understandigt hehe.
I thought that it fellt like Lucky star all the way through, exept a very small part when they had a new song, but otherwise it fellt like this anime usualy feels... But I realy think it would have been better if they didnt do it like that. Instead of ending it where they do, I would have wanted to keep seeing what was about to happen, and they should have used some slow, mildly depressing song and changed the pacing and used close-upps and such. I think it would have been very dramatic if they did it that way. I realize that a lot of people surely wants a happy and smiling end for this anime, but I dont. After all, this is sort of a sad moment, cus now we have to say godbye to all those lovely characters.

this is just mu preliminary thoughts about this episode, I might change my mind after seeing the subed version.
Old 2007-09-16, 12:59   Link #43
Rembr

The ending scene wasn't unexpected. And the sendoff was rather fitting.
There were nothing concrete for season 2 foreshadow. Only argument that could be made for it is introduction of few more minor characters. Overall, though, the episode had an ending vibe.

It was a fun ride. The well-rounded yet explosive character expression as well as exploration of contemporary Japanese culture (otaku and normal), backed up by Kyoani execution of details and new ideas definitely made this a breath of fresh air, with hint of nostalgia. The fact that this was an experimental piece probably made them try a lot of new things, and judging from the reception, it worked really well.
Despite not being able to get 100% of the content, it's good to see that this show had a good reception over here, too.

If anyone wants a quick translation of certain scenes, lmk. I will post explanations here.
Old 2007-09-16, 13:11   Link #44
Fat Cat Lim

Spoiler for Brief summary of the final episode:

Nice to see everyone in the show get a speaking part (except for Minami's mother) and even Akira makes an official appearance! Not exactly an epic episode but it's nice to see them perform
Spoiler for Episode 24:
without having to buy the DVD, lol.

What was the announcement at the end of the episode anyway?
Old 2007-09-16, 13:15   Link #45
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm waiting for the episode itself, but I peeked around the Internet and saw the "Motteke!" dance.

"Cute" is not nearly descriptive enough.
Old 2007-09-16, 13:32   Link #46
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
So I guess we will be seeing the cheerleading sequence in its full entireity on youtube after this wwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I'm waiting for the episode itself, but I peeked around the Internet and saw the "Motteke!" dance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by takumi2k4 View Post
But, great episode though. I for one await to see the mass videos on Youtube tomorrow.
There's already one
Old 2007-09-16, 13:48   Link #47
Keruri
Like a falling star

I really hope it's not bad that I'm crying. Lucky Starrr. I'm going to miss you. *cling*

I also really hope that it's not bad that I've already learned the "new" dance. All the way through. I'm THAT obsessed.

Thank GOD that I decided to make the cheerleading uniform! It's halfway finished; this is even more of a motivation to finish it.

EDIT- After rewatching, I took a few notes.
Spoiler for Episode 24:

Last edited by Keruri; 2007-09-16 at 14:40.
Old 2007-09-16, 14:32   Link #48
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Cat Lim View Post
What was the announcement at the end of the episode anyway?

An announcement for Magical Rental starting october 7th, apparently on the same timeslot as Lucky Star (not 100% shure.. might have misread).
If that's the case.. wonder what they're broadcasting on that slot the next two weeks..
Old 2007-09-16, 14:49   Link #49
htsuji

Really good finale!
A few second after I started watching the episode 24, I was sure KyoAni would show us something different from usual because the staff list appeared on the screen even though the opening song and movie didn't started yet.

Anyway, I love this anime. Maybe I would be even happier if I have a sequel. But I'm already happy.
Old 2007-09-16, 14:54   Link #50
Steg

I'm pleasantly surprised that the show didn't end with the original four girls graduating from high school. If you think about it this leaves a much bigger window of opportunity for a second season (or maybe some kind of extension of the first somehow?), especially since the show didn't even cover all the manga (which is still being written anyway).
Basically, I just don't want this show to end, ever. This was a pretty bittersweet episode, even with all the hope for a second season. Still, great episode of a great show that I'm very sad to see ending.
Old 2007-09-16, 15:19   Link #51
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
About what I would expect in the end, nothing lost nothing gained and a little predictable that the ending would be them dancing (think about who's doing the show for a second), but the right thing for the series.

The series was a mixed bag for me overall. I don't see the epic masterpiece others do, but I see a show that has fun with itself (sometimes at the expense of the viewers) and a solid ride the most of the way through (with a couple speed bumps here and there). I wouldn't expect any less in my light entertainment anime, but I still think they could have done a lot more with the characters and that time management was a bit shaky for the series. Lucky Channel was not my cup of tea, that could have gone and they could have used the time to give some of the more tertiary characters a bit more time.

So to sum the series, up another good adaptation from Kyoto Animation for what the series is, but it could have been a lot more with a little better use of it's time (production troubles and directoral changes aside).
Old 2007-09-16, 15:27   Link #52
Woland
Latin Rascal

Very fitting and pleasant end episode. Perfect for a series like Lucky Stars, a nice mood and a bittersweet undertone, but I would have avoided the ending song by Shiraishi this time. It's like he spoiled a bit the episode (and well I grown a bit tired of this kind of ending lately) while the curtain scenes was just too right IMHO.

Last chapter (for now?) of the Aya Hirano show

Spoiler for where is the guitar?:

A great performance overall for her (and I was so perplexed at the beginning when the cast was announced )

Last edited by Woland; 2007-09-16 at 16:16.
Old 2007-09-16, 15:36   Link #53
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Simple plot for the final episode: Patty proposes to get a few of her friends to do a special dance for the school cultural festival.

First, she recruits Yutaka, who is eager to show she can do something, and once she joins, Minami-chan and Hiyorin had no choice but to tag along as well.

Next, she bribes Kona-chan with Haruhi concert tickets.

Kona-chan easily convinces Tsukasa-chan to join using her charm, though Kona-chan had to use the good ol' "guilt trip" strategy to trick Kagamin to join.

(Kona-chan: Yu-chan's working hard on it, but it's such a pity we won't be able to find enough people......
Kagamin: OK ALREADY! I'm in then! )

Kona-chan recruits Mi-wiki, who agrees right away, though she is oblivious to Kona-chan's ulterior motive in recruiting her (cough*big "assets"*cough).

Kagamin later gets incensed when she finds out Patty still hasn't completely decided to actually organize the dance, since Patty didn't expect this many people would sign up (She had originally wanted to do "Hare Hare Yukai". )

Patty pulled the final straw in Kagamin by saying "I can't understand your complicated Japanese". LOL Resulting in Kagamin going in a passionate outburst.

To which Kona-chan comments: So Kagamin is actually the most passionate in doing this dance huh?
Kagamin (blushes): S...SHUT UP!

Tsukasa-chan should consider using balsamic vinegar for her fortune telling.

We see Misao and Ayano sign up for the dance as well.

We next find out what activity Yu-chan's class is having: Doing a Takarazuka Revue themed cafe. The brainchild of none other than Hiyorin, who has already arranged for Minami-chan and Yu-chan to be the lead waitresses, for obvious reasons.

(Please refer to this wiki for more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takarazuka_Revue Note the cafe is called "Kaze Gumi" (Wind Troup), which isn't in the original Takarazuka troupes, obviously created by Hiyorin herself. )

The first part of part 2 deals with the girls telling their families about the dance. (Soujirou gets fired up and prepares his camera, as expected. )

Kona-chan and Misao-chan teases Kagamin for being so fired up in training the girls for the dance. Another +10 dere points for Kagamin.

Minor characters Miyazawa Hinata and Hikage make another cameo, since it is the last episode after all. They original came to see their friend's rehearsal, but were told only students were allowed to watch the rehearsal. In other words, Hinata came one day too early, much to Hikage's chagrin, since they're always low on money, due to Hinata's otaku habits. (More on their friend below)

Kona-chan shows off her "fortune telling" attire: Nagato Yuki's famed witch costume. (OMFG) She (Hirano Aya) even imitates Nagato's (Chihara Minori's) monotonic recital of the results.

You have to see Minami-chan and Yu-chan's costume to understand what's so yuri-licious about them. Words are inadequate here.

But that's not the funny thing, the funny thing is Kagamin let slip her fondness for yuri when she said "What a great match". Stunning both Minami-chan and Yu-chan.

Finally, the friend Hinata and Hikage were talking about: AKIRA-SAMA!!! FINALLY in the main show itself! She was given a chance to perform by Sakuraba-sensei, who's also making a cameo appearance here. Sakuraba-sensei is assisted by none other than Shiraishi, who pulls a polite face.

However, when Sakuraba-sensei turns her back away, Akira-sama and Shiraishi quickly show their intense dislike for each other, but decide to tolerate it since it's the last episode. Akira-sama gets to sing "Misoji Misaki", for only one second. Shiraishi explains that there isn't much time anyway. Akira-sama was unsurprisingly furious. lol

And Shiraishi's reason becomes obvious right away When we finally see the dance itself. As everyone has noticed, Kyo-Ani has performed the entire dance sequence without having to resort to a DVD version. The whole episode has built up to this, and it was definitely worth the wait.

The second last scene has the girls reminiscing on how fun the rehearsal was, but with the BGM, you can't help but feel they were talking about the past 24 eps as a whole as well.

Finally, on the festival day itself, the girls prepare to come out of the curtains to face the crowd. As expected, they were all feeling extremely nervous. Fear not, for help has arrived from the most unexpected source: Host Shiraishi's mobile phone has gone off, revealing the silly dialtone of "Mi-Mi-Mirakuru Minoru-run".

This has the instance effect of relaxing everyone's nerves. (Remember to pay attention to how even a quiet girl like Minori-chan laughs. ) And so, they step onto the stage as the curtains raise to great applause.

No Lucky Channel, since Akira-sama has finally got her wish and appeared on the main show. So last eps Lucky Channel was probably the final one (though technically, it should be LC 21 that's the last, before Shiraishi smashed the studio to smithereens. )

The final ED was equally silly and idiotic, true to the spirit of the nonsensical Shiraishi EDs.

Such a long post, probably my last long post for Lucky Star. LS is one of those shows that have me staying up in the middle of the night just to write these long posts, so this has got to be a very fun show to watch, if not a good show. Kyo-Ani, you have defied the critics and done it again.

Now bring on CLANNAD.
Old 2007-09-16, 15:55   Link #54
Seska

I just wanna say, that i enjoyed the trip of Lucky Star. In the first i heaved my problems, but then i began to enjoy it (Mmm reminds me of my Simoun days ).

I am curious what next Anime this Studio will bring out.Oh, and Kaoru Chujo, your Homepage is a great one. I like it...
Old 2007-09-16, 15:55   Link #55
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?

I dont know the slightest thing about clannad.. and yet i am anticipating watching it...

goddam you kyoani.
Old 2007-09-16, 18:25   Link #56
Konata-chan
Wannabe Konata Izumi

Send a message via AIM to Konata-chan Send a message via MSN to Konata-chan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
We next find out what activity Yu-chan's class is having: Doing a Takarazuka Revue themed cafe. The brainchild of none other than Hiyorin, who has already arranged for Minami-chan and Yu-chan to be the lead waitresses, for obvious reasons.

(Please refer to this wiki for more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takarazuka_Revue Note the cafe is called "Kaze Gumi" (Wind Troup), which isn't in the original Takarazuka troupes, obviously created by Hiyorin herself. )

You have to see Minami-chan and Yu-chan's costume to understand what's so yuri-licious about them. Words are inadequate here.

But that's not the funny thing, the funny thing is Kagamin let slip her fondness for yuri when she said "What a great match". Stunning both Minami-chan and Yu-chan.
Takarazuka Revue?! I love the Revue and especially their "yuri undertones". Yutaka/Minami would so play the role of the otokoyaku/musumeyaku even more than Konata/Kagami.

Props to the episode 24 dance! Here's hoping it gets honors on Youtube.
Old 2007-09-16, 18:41   Link #57
htsuji

I forgot to write one thing here.

I know many of you (including myself) have been annoyed with Shiraishi's ending songs for a long time. But at least, the title they chose as the episode 24's concluding song was really a pleasant surprise to me.

Sure. The school festival is over.
Old 2007-09-16, 18:52   Link #58
QBnoYouko
Twilight Breaker

Send a message via MSN to QBnoYouko
Ah, what a great ending. I expect over a gajillion dance parody videos on YouTube by the end of the week.

And it seems I was about right, more detailed background characters (though not all).

The end was rather ambiguous though, wasn't it? Makes me wonder if KyoAni even plans on something more in store for LS.
Old 2007-09-16, 18:53   Link #59
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konata-chan View Post
Props to the episode 24 dance! Here's hoping it gets honors on Youtube.
Is it bad that I've already re-watched the dance scene several times in a row? In any case the final episode and the series over all is pretty awesome. So the sooner it gets licensed the sooner I can prepare for the task of collecting it. It definitely deserves higher priority. Especially if licensed by a decent company or well in this case I should say especially if Kadokawa partners with a decent company. Either way the waiting game begins for me.

As for the subject of dubbing brought up earlier. I'm confident it's possible to do a decent job with the dub so long as real effort is put into the dub. Which is the gen If I find the dub to be at least good enough then I will likely stick with it for the initial watch of the DVD version. After all I'd have already watched it in Japanese by way of raws and fansubs. If the dub is not good enough for me then I'll just be like "Ah well" and stick with the subbed version. Granted before any of this can happen the series needs to be well dubbed first.
Old 2007-09-16, 21:23   Link #60
krln99

I was the first one who called a "song and dance" at the end of the series:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=54408

I had a feeling it was gonna be the intro when they skipped it in the beginning and once Patty was talking about a cheerleading dance it was a foregone conclusion. But even though we knew what was coming it was interesting how we got there. It also placates those hardcore L*S fans who thought the intro was "out of character" KyoAni loli fanservice. Essentially, the series has come full circle. A second series or SP would be nice but even if this is the end I'm happy. This was a delightful little series about "nothing" in a sea of sci-fi, melodrama, and mecha anime.

Last edited by krln99; 2007-09-16 at 21:58.
Closed Thread