Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-16, 20:37   Link #1
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Shounen/adventure series with group battles

Something that has started to annoy me is that recent shounen series are too focused on individual battles, instead of the characters relying on team work and complementing each other abilities. Heck, the whole don't interfere with my very personal one on one battle because that would taint my/my enemy's honor is starting to sicken me....

As such, I'd like to search for series where most of the battles are team battles. Not series where it happens once in a blue moon like Naruto, but series where it happens on a frequent basis, preferably most of the battle are this type. The only example I can recall right now is D.Gray-man outside of the Noah ark arc. Magic Knight Rayearth has some of it, but it's more of a half/half type series. MSLN Striker's has it as well at the start, but it's quickly shafted for individual battles in the later part of the series.

It doesn't necessarily have to be shounen, however grand-scale warfare type series aren't really what I am searching for. Similarly, I would prefer it without mechas.

For a list of what I have already seen, search for the link in my signature.
Old 2008-09-16, 20:48   Link #2
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

it's not shounen at all, but I gotta reccommend Black Lagoon. The fights usually involve guns but are pretty chaotic and by the end every weapon you can think of has been used. Fights are usually the main characters working together to take on any number of foes. There are some individual fights as well - really, there's at least one of every imaginable kind of fight.
Old 2008-09-16, 21:21   Link #3
AceD
See You En' Tee

Tengen Toppa Gurren-lagann

full of group battles, specially towards the climax
Old 2008-09-16, 23:59   Link #4
Saleh
Inactive

You should try out Slayers series (Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, Revolution) as everyone of slayers series has tendency to shift team battle towards the end of series. The series may not have a great plot though. Rental magica, Gundam 00, Code geass also have alot of tactical team battles.

edit - Just read the non-mecha part
Old 2008-09-17, 05:22   Link #5
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voracious Hollow View Post
Tengen Toppa Gurren-lagann

full of group battles, specially towards the climax
all mechs though D :
Old 2008-09-17, 05:44   Link #6
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

One Piece, has moments of individual battles but as the crew has now grown into a very tightly bonded group of companions, group battles are displayed all the time. They even have great names and execution for those group combo attacks. Best display of group battles.

Busou Renkin, for just 26 episodes, it balances duels and group battles very well. But it shines from the excellent and wacky cast, a great romance and one of the best shonen anime endings ever. Highly recommended for being short and sweet, 26 episodes is short compared to most of the shounen genre.

Soul Eater, no battle is done alone, simply because the fights are done by partners, Meister and Weapon. Weapons are also humans, but they have the ability to transform into weapons. And Meisters are people who's souls can resonate with the Weapons, and because of that are able to wield them. There are also true group fights of multiples against multiples. Recommended for great action and comedy.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-09-17, 09:06   Link #7
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
all mechs though D :
yea...was the only proper ''group'' fighting anime i could come up with though ;x well worth watching though pfft
Old 2008-09-17, 10:27   Link #8
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Well, I realized that mechs was the easy answer so I anticipated that since as I said, it isn't really what I'm searching for I have seen Code Geass, and it isn't as much of group battles as a total warfare series, and even then the series is not portrayed from the POV of the battling soldiers but from the POV of the tacticians and strategists.

Just some questions: for Busuo renkin, I read the manga up to the first defeat of Papillion, and found it to be quite lacking for being a manga by the same person that did Kenshin. Is the anime series significantly better?

I think I'll give a chance to Black Lagoon and Soul Eater, Those two have been on my back burner for a while
Old 2008-09-17, 10:56   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, I realized that mechs was the easy answer so I anticipated that since as I said, it isn't really what I'm searching for I have seen Code Geass, and it isn't as much of group battles as a total warfare series, and even then the series is not portrayed from the POV of the battling soldiers but from the POV of the tacticians and strategists.

Just some questions: for Busuo renkin, I read the manga up to the first defeat of Papillion, and found it to be quite lacking for being a manga by the same person that did Kenshin. Is the anime series significantly better?

I think I'll give a chance to Black Lagoon and Soul Eater, Those two have been on my back burner for a while
Oh damn lol, why didn't you continue after the defeat of Papillon?

Its exactly Papillon that made the show so freaking enjoyable lol

He didn't die, he's not a first arc mini-boss, he's going to stay all the way. And no, he's no Team Rocket or upcoming mid-boss. He is the best 'antagonist' you'll ever see for a long time.

The first arc is just the beginning, things will pick up quite amazingly in a short while. With amazing characters like Captain Bravo and the entire organisation of Alchemic Warriors coming up.

Kazuki and Tokiko is going to have a great romance as well. In fact Tokiko is one of my favourite tsunderes, she's amazingly cute when she's deredere lol

Old 2008-09-17, 23:13   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Soul Eater seems very much a team battle effort --- the characters routinely get their asses smacked if they try to do things on their own.

TTGL is a fair choice though it relies too much on sheer willpower by and individual to win.

Toshokan Wars is also very much unit tactics and each member of the team having to execute.

Oddly enough, the 2nd and 3rd seasons of Nanoha were also team-oriented.

I'm pretty on-board with the OP's feelings. Team shows portray a much more believable scenario than what are essentially ego-fantasy one v one battle shows.
Old 2008-09-18, 04:42   Link #11
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
In fact Tokiko is one of my favourite tsunderes, she's amazingly cute when she's deredere lol
COOdere >_>
Old 2008-09-18, 05:09   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm yes I guess she's a coodere, but she threatens Kazuki with Valkyrie Skirt all the time, it seems like a Tsundere act lol

Old 2008-09-18, 13:59   Link #13
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

I haven't seen too much of it, and i didn't particularly like it very much either, but Gash Bell also known as Zatch Bell, seems to have a very multi-person fight feel to it, what little of it i saw.
Old 2008-09-18, 17:19   Link #14
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
I would like to say that there aren't many anime that can be named that will concentrate solely on group battles because mainly they would just concentrate on a one on one fight with other fights surrounding that 1v1.

the best idea I came up with was "power rangers" but that got kicked out of the equation pretty quickly haha ^^
Closed Thread