AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-07-18, 23:29   Link #1041
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Maybe, but perfect in human standards hardly lives up the Claymores.
Yeah, actually, that is the biggest issue. It's not hair color or facial features... but the fact that they all have to basically tall, slender, boxum models. And even if you can find such a person like that, once they don the Claymore uni they'll look like bad cosplayers. Sigh. I think animation is where Claymores should stay. Or until the CG technology catches up where we can easily and cheaply made CG actresses... it's coming soon... THEN we can talk.
AVPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 16:20   Link #1042
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Yeah, actually, that is the biggest issue. It's not hair color or facial features... but the fact that they all have to basically tall, slender, boxum models. And even if you can find such a person like that, once they don the Claymore uni they'll look like bad cosplayers. Sigh. I think animation is where Claymores should stay. Or until the CG technology catches up where we can easily and cheaply made CG actresses... it's coming soon... THEN we can talk.
am with ya on that one, it would seem like a bunch of bad tall, slender, boxum cosplayers but CG tech just now ain't all bad, when Final Fantasy Spirits was out it was done well enough, just the story and characters were the worst ever. And thats where the problem is, even if it was done as a Hollywood CG feature, its just Hollywoods need to make it well a Hollywood feature thats the problem. Just like if the Halo film ever gets off the ground, if they were to show any part of the Master Chief's face I would be very, very disappointed its these small changes that really piss me off

altho that said Jamie Bell, may be better suited for Raki than a "gay" hobbit

just started this series about a week ago and loving it!
Old 2007-07-23, 17:51   Link #1043
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVPlaya View Post
Let's not be naive. If Claymore was made into live action they would change the uniform, just like the changed the X-men uniform for the movie. Different styles are less appealing in different media.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-25, 17:42   Link #1044
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I having difficulty to imagine the actresses will able to pull those swords convincingly in live action. Average human hand simply can't pull it clean in normal sword draws or even sheathe it back.
Old 2007-07-25, 23:55   Link #1045
4Tran

The financial viability of more Claymore anime.

This seems to fit better here than in the Episode 17 thread where it originated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
And how would you judge its profit? How would you happen to know it?

Sorry for putting it so bluntly, but I think you're full of it. Commercial numbers are well-kept secrets.
So far, Claymore has only released the first couple of DVDs, so it's impossible to tell how well it's doing financially. The only thing we have to go on are the the Japanese TV ratings, and it's been getting a solid 1.9-2.5% rating. For the longest time, the only late-night TV shows that performed better were Death Note and Nodame Cantabile (both of whom also benefit from have successful live-action adaptations).

Next, the commercial numbers for Japanese animation isn't really any sort of secret: as this thread http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=42604 attests, a 26 episode series like Claymore costs about $2,300,000 USD. If the production team reaped $30 USD profit per DVD sold (not unreasonable considering the 6000 yen MSRP), then it would break even after selling 77,000 copies of the DVD, or about 8500 copies per volume (assuming a 9-volume release). As this thread http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=40506 shows, it's not out of the question. It's worth noting that Siegel Clyne pointed out that the correlation between the TV ratings and sales is very weak. The same can be said about the popularity of a show among Western fans and Japanese sales (Negima and Gundam Seed Destiny, sold like hot cakes despite being panned in many places).

The last thing to consider are the peripheral revenue sources like merchandising and increased manga sales. A show like Claymore is also highly coveted by Western anime companies, so it wouldn't be surprising to see it command total licensing fees of around $15-20,000 per episode (for Regions 1, 3, 4, and the different European countries). As it is, based on Claymore's appeal and overall quality, more animation production seems to be quite profitable. However, it's hard to say for sure until the DVD sales figures come in.
Old 2007-07-26, 02:56   Link #1046
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy001_M1A2 View Post
I having difficulty to imagine the actresses will able to pull those swords convincingly in live action. Average human hand simply can't pull it clean in normal sword draws or even sheathe it back.
Actually I've been paying attention to this. It appears that their claymores don't have sheaths. It has a hook between their shoulderblades, not a sheath.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 12:02   Link #1047
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

^ The final few minutes of Episode 17 are probably as close as we'll get to see how a warrior sheaths her claymore. Galatea lifts her sword diagonally above her head to "hook" it to the mantle they all wear.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 13:56   Link #1048
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Hmmmmmmmm, I must be getting old then. So it is a form of sword hook, not a sheathe.

Sidenote, all this talk of LA Claymore makes think of Milla Jovovich as Claire for some reason.
Old 2007-07-26, 14:03   Link #1049
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Hmmmmmmmm, I must be getting old then. So it is a form of sword hook, not a sheathe.

Sidenote, all this talk of LA Claymore makes think of Milla Jovovich as Claire for some reason.
no no no has to be Clare Danes
Old 2007-07-26, 14:03   Link #1050
ItachiGT
Banned

Quote:

NO i think Milla Jovovich would fit in the role of Jeane more somehow.

Don't ask me why i dunno........xD
ItachiGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-31, 22:20   Link #1051
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Anyone watch the special features off the Claymore DVD?

Included are two promos and the OP and ED in creditless form.

The trailers showed some scenes from the first couple Claymore episodes, mainly the first scene at the lake in episode 1. The second promo showed Teresa but I noticed that she was drawn differently back then; her eyes looked rounder and she looked more like she did in the early volumes of the manga.
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 07:57   Link #1052
hamstar
just passing by

hmm i saw the claymore dvd package it looks pretty tempting. Does it include english subs by chance?
hamstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 08:09   Link #1053
Varis
Composed Eccentric

Send a message via AIM to Varis Send a message via Yahoo to Varis
a live action claymore has to be with CGI, no way around it really, not only because of all the monsters but because of how claymores change their own bodies.

Jeane will be hard to do.

I'm also for Milla Jovovich as Claire. Would be perfect.
Varis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 08:34   Link #1054
parrywrinkle

Casting for Theresa would be interesting too.
parrywrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 10:59   Link #1055
shaselai

maybe i missed it but what episode showed Raki with Easly and priscilla? Was it even shown?
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 11:30   Link #1056
Lendial

i dont think thats happened yet
Lendial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 11:58   Link #1057
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Heres my rant, I chose ppl I could think of, not whose suitable for certain roles. Doing that would take to much thinking and I'd rather not strain the auld grey cells

Clare = Clare Danes
Teresa = Charlize Theron
Galatea = Kate Beckinsale
Irene = Kate Blanchett
Ophelia = Gwyneth Paltrow
Flora = Jennifer Love Hewitt
Helen = Keira Knightley
Deneve = Milla Jovovich
Miria = Gillian Anderson
Jean = Scarlett Johansson
Priscilla = Alicia Silverstone
Old 2007-08-07, 20:54   Link #1058
kandidasama
Serial mouse killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Heres my rant, I chose ppl I could think of, not whose suitable for certain roles. Doing that would take to much thinking and I'd rather not strain the auld grey cells

Clare = Clare Danes
Teresa = Charlize Theron
Galatea = Kate Beckinsale
Irene = Kate Blanchett
Ophelia = Gwyneth Paltrow
Flora = Jennifer Love Hewitt
Helen = Keira Knightley
Deneve = Milla Jovovich
Miria = Gillian Anderson
Jean = Scarlett Johansson
Priscilla = Alicia Silverstone

That' s awesome.
kandidasama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 20:38   Link #1059
RoryTate
Circle Researcher

One of the posters in an episode thread asked how non-manga readers thought the anime would end...and that got me thinking...hmm? While it's still difficult to say what episode 26 will do, I was able to put together some ideas for the series as a whole (from an anime-only perspective).

Before I start, a warning that I didn't foresee the "revenge" angle to Claymore at all, so I have a very bad prediction average already. I was confident that the Theresa arc would end with Clare getting seriously injured and having to be turned into a Claymore to live, and then Clare being stuck with the organization while Theresa was off hiding. Clare would be picked by the organization to hunt down her friend, etc etc. I still kinda like that path, not the least of which is because it would mean more Theresa. Oh well, the way it turned out fits much better, because this is the way the writer wrote it (if that makes any sense?).

Anyway, I would categorize Claymore as having three main "conflicts" which I feel drive the storyline.

1. Clare's revenge on Priscilla

The main and most obvious plot, and perhaps the easiest to predict as to its resolution. Clare will continue to grow in strength (as per shounen story devices), and will be able to defeat Priscilla. Note: this may not necessarily be a one-on-one fight, as Claymore (thankfully) often eschews that overused staple and instead values teamwork.

Alternately, some way may be found to "revert" an AO and save Priscilla, but I don't quite see that happening.

2. Dissent within the Claymore organization

This conflict has grown quite interesting as of the current episodes (18 to 19), and shows great potential. The camaraderie between the "Fab Four" is well done in light of this motivation, and I foresee that more Claymores will soon join this quiet rebellion, turning it into a serious, active "mutiny". Battle lines will be drawn, and the organization might very well split into separate and distinct entities. Jeane has already joined in, and I see potential for Galatea as well, along with several or all of the Claymores used as "sacrificial pawns" in the North.

What happens after that as the rogue Claymores fight the org Claymores...I can't even hazard a guess. However, I believe it will be subsumed in the end by the third (and IMO best) conflict.

3. Humanity vs Claymores

No, this is not an actual battle...humanity gets pwned if that were the case. This conflict is actually represented by the character of Raki. While many say Raki connects Clare to her lost humanity, I think he more represents humanity's struggle to accept Claymores. This is an area that showed great promise at the beginning of the story, but has unfortunately taken backstage at the moment. Some important elements include:

- the town that "bans" Claymores, and yet is saved by those they fear when Clare enters in disguise
- Raki's ability to save Clare from awakening (caring for her so strongly that he would give up his life for her)
- Theresa's surprise when, as a rogue Claymore, she defeats a youma -- unasked for -- and is adored by the townspeople in return

I feel (hope?) these show the underlying direction of the series. If I'm on the right track, then Raki will need some ability to help Clare in her quest. It might be some extension of the way he "canceled" the runaway youki when Clare almost awakened. Regardless, some youki-affecting ability would shift the balance of power away from the AOs to the Claymores that side with humanity, and would also play havoc with the internal politics of the org (i.e. rogue Claymores like Theresa and Clare would be nearly impossible to suppress).

And just a warning for all the Raki-haters out there: if you think Raki gets all the girls now, just wait...if he becomes "instant power up" for any Claymore that he supports, he'll become, like, the Hugh Hefner of the Claymore world...I'm already laughing at the thought of what Helen will say. Ha!

Just my thoughts on the direction of the entire series. It's likely off base, but I thought I'd take a bit of time to share my ideas.

P.S. I wonder if anyone else has noticed how closely the Claymore symbols resemble the Greek alphabet at times? For any physics/math majors, the symbols often look familiar. Plus, the names of Claymores 1, 2, and 3 -- Alicia, Beth, and Galatea -- sound much too close to the first three letters of the Greek alphabet -- alpha, beta, gamma -- for that to be mere coincidence.
RoryTate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 21:47   Link #1060
xVxObliVioNxVx
Game Developer
*Artist

Great analysis there RoryTate. Though you did a great job pointing out the three main conflicts, you missed one very important conflict:

4. The War of the Awakened Ones

This is a rather recent conflict in the anime that has arisen. The three Dwellers of Deep have started a war amongst each. The thing about this conflict is that it intervenes itself amongst the 3 main conflicts you listed and pulls them together. Previously, those three conflicts where stand alone conflicts which didn't have much to do with each other. But now thanks to this conflict of the War of the Awakend Ones, it managed to merge all the conflicts together. I know, it sounds quite devastating and how it turns out is anyones guess.
xVxObliVioNxVx is offline   Reply With Quote