AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2011-11-18, 04:20   Link #1
Axmann

Bright areas on edges of letterboxes [Death Note box set]

I love Death Note, and am glad to own the series on DVD, but something has been bothering me when watching it.

There are marked areas of brightness that occur near the top and bottom of the screen where the letterboxes and the picture meet.

The thing is that I've never had this issue before. I doubt it's a CD error, because I've tried multiple discs from both of the box sets (1 and 2).

My question is: is this the fault of my TV, or simply poor encoding? Is there a problem with my box sets?
Old 2011-11-19, 08:36   Link #2
namaiki

Could you post a screenshot or photo?
Old 2011-11-20, 14:42   Link #3
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I've seen what you describe on screens, but never on encodes. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's your screen.

Here's how you can test it: play the DVD on your computer. Do you still see the issue? If not, it's definitely your screen. If you're still seeing the issue, take a screenshot and post it online for other people to view. If nobody else can see it, then your computer screen is showing the same issues. If everyone else can see it, then there's something with the video source.
Old 2011-12-02, 04:34   Link #4
Axmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I've seen what you describe on screens, but never on encodes. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's your screen.

Here's how you can test it: play the DVD on your computer. Do you still see the issue? If not, it's definitely your screen. If you're still seeing the issue, take a screenshot and post it online for other people to view. If nobody else can see it, then your computer screen is showing the same issues. If everyone else can see it, then there's something with the video source.
When watching it on a widescreen (such as my computer monitor), I don't experience the issue. The issue also isn't as noticable on other TVs.

I've noticed something interesting, though. When watching "Re-Light: Visions of a God" and "Re-Light: L's Successors", when it shows screencaps from the show included in new footage taken for the videos, you can see the issue there as well. I'll post a screenshot to show you what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/IYaHo.jpg

As you can see, the effect is very pronounced there, and is almost exactly the same as what I'm seeing on my TV.
Old 2011-12-02, 04:36   Link #5
Axmann

Thought I'd come back and add something: I'm seeing the effect now on "Death Note L: Change the World", which is from a completely different source, and I'm seeing it on my computer screen.
Old 2011-12-03, 15:43   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axmann View Post
When watching it on a widescreen (such as my computer monitor), I don't experience the issue. The issue also isn't as noticable on other TVs.

I've noticed something interesting, though. When watching "Re-Light: Visions of a God" and "Re-Light: L's Successors", when it shows screencaps from the show included in new footage taken for the videos, you can see the issue there as well. I'll post a screenshot to show you what I mean:

http://i.imgur.com/IYaHo.jpg

As you can see, the effect is very pronounced there, and is almost exactly the same as what I'm seeing on my TV.
I don't see anything where the red arrow is directly pointing. You're not talking about the light borders surrounding each clip, are you? If you are, I'd imagine that those are just visual effects.
Old 2011-12-03, 22:16   Link #7
Desbreko
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Desbreko
Those bright borders are from edge enhancement filtering, namely sharpening, done by the DVD authoring studio. (Unless something in your playback setup is doing edge enhancement.) You can see the same white outlines, also called halos, around dark edges within the picture, too. It's just most pronounced around the border.
Old 2011-12-05, 01:33   Link #8
Axmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desbreko View Post
Those bright borders are from edge enhancement filtering, namely sharpening, done by the DVD authoring studio. (Unless something in your playback setup is doing edge enhancement.) You can see the same white outlines, also called halos, around dark edges within the picture, too. It's just most pronounced around the border.
So there's nothing "wrong" with my box sets, per se?

Also, I've noticed that a couple MKV files I've downloaded of Death Note have this haloing effect as well. The only Death Note release I have found that has this fixed is Arigatou's.

Another screenshot of the effect: http://i.imgur.com/YuPKi.jpg