AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-01-20, 01:53   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That way you get to paddle anyone who uses the term.

It does get annoying when anyone who *studies* Japanese culture (which may include pop culture, anime, etc) is characterized as a wapanese, weeaboo, whatever. It has a fundamental component of racism to it, the same as if one finds asian women attractive (ooh, he has "yellow fever". bleh).

I think most of us find the social misfits annoying who have latched onto one series (e.g. naruto, whatever) and basically romp around shouting it at the top of their lungs, wearing bandanas, and terrible cosplay (like a five year old but they're 20-something).

But I tend to call them annoying rather than label them.
Old 2013-01-20, 02:03   Link #22
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That way you get to paddle anyone who uses the term.

It does get annoying when anyone who *studies* Japanese culture (which may include pop culture, anime, etc) is characterized as a wapanese, weeaboo, whatever. It has a fundamental component of racism to it, the same as if one finds asian women attractive (ooh, he has "yellow fever". bleh).

I think most of us find the social misfits annoying who have latched onto one series (e.g. naruto, whatever) and basically romp around shouting it at the top of their lungs, wearing bandanas, and terrible cosplay (like a five year old but they're 20-something).

But I tend to call them annoying rather than label them.
Vexx you speak truth. Some people use in a very racist manner to accuse ppl they think are racists.

And I did not recognize you b/c your avatar changed. lol
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 02:03   Link #23
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Wapanese, Weeaboo

I don't care. However, whoever, whatEVA!!!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 02:04   Link #24
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Umm... that's not very nice to brown people?
Well they are using the same kind of fashion many African Americans are wearing, glaringly visible jewelry, large hairstyles, and an inclination towards retro with less gaudy/LSD-induced colours.

The gyaru needed the "dark skin" factor to pull off the style - it is just that their Asiatic facial contours and small size that spells the difference between them and the Afro-American style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Times have changed old man. They don't call it "yellow fever" anymore, they call it "lolicon/shotacon" or "pedophile".

Nonetheless it is still taken out of context. There is nothing wrong with wanting to cuddle a small-sized girl.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 02:14   Link #25
Kyuu
=^^=

No offense...

BUT

All too often -- you white people look silly trying to act Asian.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 02:17   Link #26
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
No offense...

BUT

All too often -- you white people look silly trying to act Asian.
Only white people can be racist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Well they are using the same kind of fashion many African Americans are wearing, glaringly visible jewelry, large hairstyles, and an inclination towards retro with less gaudy/LSD-induced colours.

The gyaru needed the "dark skin" factor to pull off the style - it is just that their Asiatic facial contours and small size that spells the difference between them and the Afro-American style.
I don't knoew what to say to you if u think ppl with brown skin are inferior. It's 2013, get with it.

Quote:
Times have changed old man. They don't call it "yellow fever" anymore, they call it "lolicon/shotacon" or "pedophile".

Nonetheless it is still taken out of context. There is nothing wrong with wanting to cuddle a small-sized girl.
You know he's married to a small Asian woman and you call him pedo?
Old 2013-01-20, 02:39   Link #27
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
You'd make a terrible cosplayer. And that is an insult to all otaku.

Go dress better. You are a shame to all of us.
I guess I just need to dress like this guy. Or this guy.

With some effort, this guy.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 02:58   Link #28
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Only white people can be racist.

I don't knoew what to say to you if u think ppl with brown skin are inferior. It's 2013, get with it.
Calm down, he never said or indicated that. Asians trying to act black is silly and superficial and so is white people trying to act Asian. It's not about what's "inferior" at all. How many of those people who try to imitate the "black" style actually know anything about the associated culture and people beyond a few superficialities? Probably not many. The same holds for people who get called weeaboos.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 03:01   Link #29
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I think people who think their skin is better than the rest is mentally inferior. When I was still an insurance agent, a senior agent said during a talk that with Western countries becoming bankrupt and China having a huge trade surplus, this is "the age of the yellow-skinned man".

Mumbled "bloody racist dog" under my breath and had the other agents on my left and right looking at me. Not much we can do when there are more and more of these people around; genetics 101 - dysgenics.

Quote:
You know he's married to a small Asian woman and you call him pedo?
Not a pedo, but rather an aniki hogosha. An offshoot of the ancient bushido code, the ideology represents the justice of protecting smaller and weaker small-sized/young girls based on the virtues of Rectitude (義) and Benevolence (仁). The "big brother" is the epitome of morality through "the natural gift of strength should be used to protect and comfort the less physically gifted".

Likewise, there are bound to be people who refuse to understand the tenets and rationale behind it. The scientific term of "lolita complex" has been cliched to be synonymous with the offensive "pedophile". Not much difference with regards to how the term "Wapanese" came about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I guess I just need to dress like this guy. Or this guy.

With some effort, this guy.
You might as well do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Calm down, he never said or indicated that. Asians trying to act black is silly and superficial and so is white people trying to act Asian. It's not about what's "inferior" at all. How many of those people who try to imitate the "black" style actually know anything about the associated culture and people beyond a few superficialities? Probably not many. The same holds for people who get called weeaboos.
Although I do find it silly, I do find it interesting that this is how people actually learn about other cultures. I didn't learn about American culture without my interest in guns, neither do I learn about Japanese culture without my interest in anime and manga.

It is some sort of a beginning for a generate interest > learning > understanding process - it has to start somewhere right?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-01-20, 03:03   Link #30
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
No, I thought he said that in his first post.
Quote:
I think people who think their skin is better than the rest is mentally inferior. When I was still an insurance agent, a senior agent said during a talk that with Western countries becoming bankrupt and China having a huge trade surplus, this is "the age of the yellow-skinned man".

Mumbled "bloody racist dog" under my breath and had the other agents on my left and right looking at me. Not much we can do when there are more and more of these people around; genetics 101 - dysgenics.

Not a pedo, but rather an aniki hogosha. An offshoot of the ancient bushido code, the ideology represents the justice of protecting smaller and weaker small-sized/young girls based on the virtues of Rectitude (義) and Benevolence (仁). The "big brother" is the epitome of morality through "the natural gift of strength should be used to protect and comfort the less physically gifted".

Likewise, there are bound to be people who refuse to understand the tenets and rationale behind it. The scientific term of "lolita complex" has been cliched to be synonymous with the offensive "pedophile". Not much difference with regards to how the term "Wapanese" came about.

You might as well do this.
I understand, and that is very cute and sweet. I always saw that as more "mnoe" feeling and not "lolicon" feeling tho. The lolicon is the pedo who likes girls who actually are yung, not old and small Ithinks?
Old 2013-01-20, 03:27   Link #31
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
ehhhhhhhh ...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 03:35   Link #32
Kudryavka

Quote:
I read stories on weebstories about people who "glomp", which I assume means run into someone. They don't realize that actually hurts a lot in real life.
Old 2013-01-20, 03:44   Link #33
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
ehhhhhhhh ...
If you don't mind being a criminal/convict of course.

Quote:
I read stories on weebstories about people who "glomp", which I assume means run into someone. They don't realize that actually hurts a lot in real life.
In one of those particular posts about "hating Germany-san" and referencing Hetalia Axis, I would say it is more of a generation divide than a cultural divide.

My granddad fought in WWII as a resistance fighter - never forgave the Japanese throughout his life and probably is rolling in his grave when his grandson is actually an otaku. What he probably didn't realise that with all his hatred, the soldiers are merely pawns to a game by a bunch of ultranationalist politicians; I don't think we can hate either side for their beliefs since it is their perspective and experience, only thing we can do is to keep our mouth shut and let it be.

Of course, this comic is still fundamentally and morally wrong :

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Old 2013-01-20, 03:53   Link #34
Kudryavka

Quote:
If you don't mind being a criminal/convict of course.

In one of those particular posts about "hating Germany-san" and referencing Hetalia Axis, I would say it is more of a generation divide than a cultural divide.

My granddad fought in WWII as a resistance fighter - never forgave the Japanese throughout his life and probably is rolling in his grave when his grandson is actually an otaku. What he probably didn't realise that with all his hatred, the soldiers are merely pawns to a game by a bunch of ultranationalist politicians; I don't think we can hate either side for their beliefs since it is their perspective and experience, only thing we can do is to keep our mouth shut and let it be.

Of course, this comic is still fundamentally and morally wrong :
I totally agree. A lot of soldiers have to do terrible things in war because of what the higher ups say.

I never got why teen girls love Hetalia so much. Never saw them as the history buff types, I'm getting old and school teaches a lot more nowadays?
Old 2013-01-20, 03:57   Link #35
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to Frailty
to my perspective, they do exist
although our definition of weaboos meaning may differ.

IMO, Weaboos or Wapanese see Japan as the best country out there. Some even claim that they can learn the Japanese language through watching subbed anime. Some claim they're Otakus whilst only watching mainstream anime. The list goes on and on.

it's like an insult to people who spends time and pays money just to study the Japan's language and its culture

I don't really care about them
sometimes, they do annoy me to some extent though

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-20, 04:01   Link #36
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
to my perspective, they do exist
although our definition of weaboos meaning may differ.

IMO, Weaboos or Wapanese see Japan as the best country out there. Some even claim that they can learn the Japanese language through watching subbed anime. Some claim they're Otakus whilst only watching mainstream anime. The list goes on and on.

I don't really care about them
sometimes, they do annoy me to some extent though
I don't like the use of otaku as positive either. In Japan it'd be like proudly calling yourself Adam Lanza.
Old 2013-01-20, 04:08   Link #37
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
I don't like the use of otaku as positive either.
It depends on what kind of otaku you are.,...
Old 2013-01-20, 04:09   Link #38
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
It depends on what kind of otaku you are.,...
Only some otaku kill children? :?
Old 2013-01-20, 04:11   Link #39
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Only some otaku kill children? :?
Woah, ask Saintess Heart, I'm not that kind! I'm innocent!!!!

Any way, Wapanese are none Japanese wanting to be Japanese right? I don't think most otakus are that way. They are more of a hobbyist and a not a Wanna be Japanese.

Oh that reminds me of the song "Going Japanese"...
Old 2013-01-20, 04:13   Link #40
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Woah, ask Saintess Heart, I'm not that kind! I'm innocent!!!!
Me sorry. I was referring to him.

In Japan he's pretty much sole reason why Japanese don't like otaku. I love people who love Japaese pop culture. I just don't like it when they associate themselves with names akin to "Adam Lanza" and "shutin loser Antisocial", in blind belief that otaku is a newly cool word like its counterpart in my country, the "nerd".