AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-18, 23:55   Link #661
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Pre-christian europe had the effective equivalent of shrines or sacred spaces. An Altar is one possibility - sometimes it was a special grove of trees or special waterfall. They're just words for a space defined as sacred or special in some way. "Shrine" is actually an english word just applied to the japanese concept (jinja) -- in Europe, shrines are usually small locations or simple built up places. Stonehenge might be considered a very large but useful shrine to the sky spirits (maybe...).
Sacrifices consisted of sharing food, valuables, or some ritual with the spirit to be appeased, cajoled, or mollified.
Animist-paganism is interestingly consistent world-wide even though the details might vary. There are people who study the parallels between Shinto and Keltic beliefs for example. I'm also considering that even though this series is *set* in a feudal european-like world, its written by someone with japanese sensibilities and who may have a "message" encapsulated in the story.

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-01-19 at 00:06.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 23:57   Link #662
Traece
:cool:

I didn't expect Spice and Wolf's infinitely beautiful and sadistically charming Horo to spread throughout the board's avatars and signatures... I was wrong(but that's not surprising). She's great, and so is Lawrence. In a way I think they make a perfect couple since Lawrence has had the experience he's had. Another romance rule: If the main character has had a bad experience with something related to the other character(thus giving that character a plausible reason to fear or be nervous around the other character) then they are a good match! Of course a few months of travel and Horo's lack of decency are going to have an effect. In short... There are two women in his life, and my money is on the wolf!
Old 2008-01-18, 23:58   Link #663
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I know that Vexx, but they way you worded it, sounded like you were talking about a Asian Shrine.

While it is written by a japanese author, it still is set in Europe. I would hope they wouldn't integrate the two.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 00:22   Link #664
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Agree with that sentiment.. .though there's a lot more parallel in Shinto and european pre-christian beliefs than one might think (or Native American practices for that matter).
Though european belief-structures seem a little darker to the typical modern eye
Old 2008-01-19, 00:34   Link #665
JediNight
キズランダム

I think with the Horo thing: She wasn't bound to the wheat until after making the pact with the villagers. I mean, they don't grow wheat up in cold mountainous regions like she is presumably from. So I can't see her being "chained to the wheat" from birth.

So now she is still bound to be near wheat, but as long as Lawrence has some with him, she can go anywhere else. I wonder if she can somehow unbind the pact by going back to her homeland.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 01:13   Link #666
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
I didn't expect Spice and Wolf's infinitely beautiful and sadistically charming Horo to spread throughout the board's avatars and signatures...
As one of the instigators of this () I'm happy to see that Horo's personality is the main draw, not just her looks (though seeing her naked doesn't hurt! ); kinda reminds me of when Haruhi swept through the forum two years ago...

CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 01:20   Link #667
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I think with the Horo thing: She wasn't bound to the wheat until after making the pact with the villagers. I mean, they don't grow wheat up in cold mountainous regions like she is presumably from. So I can't see her being "chained to the wheat" from birth.

So now she is still bound to be near wheat, but as long as Lawrence has some with him, she can go anywhere else. I wonder if she can somehow unbind the pact by going back to her homeland.
Pretty curious about how one gets out of such a thing. Maybe it requires the villagers to completely stop with their festivities. Thus breaking their promise totally and making it null and void. Or maybe if Horo is gone long enough she can no longer dwell inside their wheat so that will cancel it after a while.
Old 2008-01-19, 01:30   Link #668
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Gah, I really loved this most recent episode.

However, I'm still seriously worried about the wheat in that little pouch. Does this mean Horo is going to have avoid fire like the Scarecrow? I still get a bad vibe when i think about it. I haven't read the manga so i wouldn't know either way.
Old 2008-01-19, 01:56   Link #669
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
Gah, I really loved this most recent episode.

However, I'm still seriously worried about the wheat in that little pouch. Does this mean Horo is going to have avoid fire like the Scarecrow? I still get a bad vibe when i think about it. I haven't read the manga so i wouldn't know either way.
Pretty sure that little pouch doesn't really come "under fire" (haha, oh wow, bad pun) anytime soon in the novels, if ever. It's just part of Horo's character design and an easy way to explain why she can still hang around after Lawrence gets rid of the wheat in his cart. Also, it was Lawrence's first gift to Horo. I think he placed some sentimental value on it and he looked disappointed for a moment when Horo so quickly tossed it aside.
Old 2008-01-19, 02:41   Link #670
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, he went to a lot of trouble to have the bag made and stuff.... but like some of the women in my life -- Horo is all about the food
Old 2008-01-19, 02:51   Link #671
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Lawrence just learned a valuable lesson. If your going to give something important to Horo make sure food is not in the same vicinity . Tasty food beats bag of wheat any day of the week it seems.
Old 2008-01-19, 06:44   Link #672
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Two episodes and 34 pages... why do I feel late to the party?
I'd been wondering who this absurdly cute nekomimi in everyone's avatars sigs could be (apparently it's actually a wolf, but that matters not ), then I took this up on a vague recommendation and there she was. In fact, Horo is so unbelievably awesome I may have to go against my anti-bandwagon policy and trade in Fuuko.

Anyone else getting a bit of a Beowulf vibe? Thematically rather than literary, of course.
That pouch of wheat really gives me the uh-oh feeling...
Hmm... Horo became a god by eating people? If that turns out to be the case, it'd make for a wonderful gray-area and some darn good drama.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 08:18   Link #673
FRS
Lurker on the threshold

It's a lovely serie, i really like the interaction between Lawrence and Horo.
FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 08:35   Link #674
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
I know that Vexx, but they way you worded it, sounded like you were talking about a Asian Shrine.

While it is written by a japanese author, it still is set in Europe. I would hope they wouldn't integrate the two.
Hmm, I must have missed the part where they mentioned anything real world. Sure, the setting is styled after European life in the earlier ages but the world so far is entirely fantasy.....unless I missed some info somewhere saying otherwise.
Old 2008-01-19, 08:44   Link #675
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Hmm... Horo became a god by eating people? If that turns out to be the case, it'd make for a wonderful gray-area and some darn good drama.
It's only a theory. We have no proof at all.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 08:56   Link #676
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Well, even if that were to be the case, it doesn't mean that horo is bad in anyway. Animals need to eat so we can't blame her for basic instincts. But don't forget she was born in the north...need to find out how she came to the south first!
The pouch of wheat seems too obvious to be a plot twist for me. Lawrence should get reserve wheat just in case

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 10:40   Link #677
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Well it is up in the air exactly how Horo came to be who she is. Have some theories but still uncertain in that regard. At least seems a safe bet that she did have to attack humans at some point. Probably because they came into the forest and the wolves reacted. Its the risk people take going into places like the ocean and getting attacked by sharks.

Big thing should be why she decided to take a southern road trip. People don't normally just leave their home for little reason.
Old 2008-01-19, 13:39   Link #678
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
It's only a theory. We have no proof at all.
Yes, I'm aware of that
Simply rolling the thought around in my head~.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 14:29   Link #679
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Hmm, I must have missed the part where they mentioned anything real world. Sure, the setting is styled after European life in the earlier ages but the world so far is entirely fantasy.....unless I missed some info somewhere saying otherwise.
There is a difference between the words based and set.

I never said it was set in our medieval Europe, just based off of it.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 15:27   Link #680
stjeppe

i really like this series, i enjoy watching it, lawrence and horo are interesting characters with lots more mystery around both of em...
i wouldn't mind romance but for now i'm fine with how its progressing, more like feeling around..(figure of speech)
ep2 was great with some background from lawrence (bad wolf experiences??) and horo.
i'll definetely keep watching this.
stjeppe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen