AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2012-09-21, 14:54   Link #7701
battle22

Hey Minna, I downloaded Onscritper for Android, I managed to get Umi to work , But there are a little text errors. I think the Android Onscritper cannot recognize some commands in the updated scripts which Umineko episode 8 Uses, Such as `@` and `/ , It does not work. I managed to get everything else to work , SFX, Voices , BGM, Has Anyone else tried porting Umineko into Android? I really want to play it on The tablet XD
Old 2012-09-21, 17:21   Link #7702
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

That's odd. Are you sure it's an ONScripter port and not a NScripter port? I don't have any Android knowledge, but that seems the most logical reason for ` tags not working
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-22, 01:45   Link #7703
battle22

Ahh, I think it was NScripter, Sorry , But Saikoroshi works, I can't get umineko to work(TEXT)
Old 2012-09-26, 07:05   Link #7704
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

I haven't followed Umineko for quite some time (it's quite surprising for me to see how some threads are still active) so I don't know the latest news about this game. I want to ask about Our Confession... has it been fully translated yet?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 11:47   Link #7705
Drifloon

No, but Wanderer is in the process of translating it and posting it in the Spoilers, Theories and Speculations thread.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-26, 16:01   Link #7706
maximilianjenus
[E]

REmind him to post it back there once he's done, I stopped checking on umineko fan theories since the author theory was generally accepted as well as all that stuff about a rokkenjima prime.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-07, 14:34   Link #7707
Drifloon

Okay, I'm really at my wit's end here so I'm going to have to ask you guys about this, even though you probably don't know the answer any more than I do. (I'm posting it in this thread since it seems to be the closest thing to a general help thread for technical issues with the game.)

Recently, for about two months or so, Umineko has been crashing randomly on the music box for me. As far as I can tell, it isn't tied to any particular songs, it just crashes occasionally. In addition, the opening movies for both the first half and Chiru crash the game when they are played. All three times that I have read through the series before now, the opening movies have played fine, and I can't think of any significant changes to my computer since then, so I have no idea why they don't work any more. Regardless, I can get around this by just removing the umineko_op files so that they no longer play.

But this is not the only problem. Umineko also freezes at various specific points, and only those specific points. These points always seem to correspond to a BGM change, too, but I can't see how they can be tied to the specific BGM because the music box crashes seem to happen regardless of the BGM that is being played. It seems to be some kind of issue with the BGM playing command itself, but I have no idea why. An example of a point where it always crashes is during the EP8 chapter 'Siege of the Fleet', when Beatrice tells Erika that she's tired, Erika seems surprised and Beatrice is about to elaborate. Again, I have never had this problem in any of my three previous playthroughs of Episode 8, but now it is literally impossible for me to play this chapter beyond that point.

This isn't only happening in Umineko, either. I'm having the same problem with Kinjo's fangame, which I have also played previously without any problems. The first two episodes were fine this time, but in the third game, I had a crash when Ange was looking for a detective. I managed to fix this by getting a text dump of the nscript.dat file and editing out the BGM playing command, which confirms that the crashes are directly related to a change in BGM. However, right after that, I had another crash after Erika appeared. After editing out THAT BGM command, I got another one as soon as the gameboard started, and after editing out the BGM command there, I got another crash when Erika meets Maria outside the guesthouse. Replaying parts from the first two episodes works fine, so I'm not sure why certain BGM changes crash the game without fail, while others don't. Either way, the fact that it is happening in both Umineko and the fangame shows that it's a problem with nscripter rather than Umineko itself, but I don't understand how this problem could not have been present before, but suddenly is now.

Does anyone have any idea how I could stop these crashes from happening? My system language is Japanese, I've tried running both games through AppLocale, and I've tried freeing up two additional gigabytes of memory in case that was the issue; nothing has worked. I've played Umineko so much before now and had no problems, so why is this suddenly an issue?
Old 2012-10-07, 17:43   Link #7708
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

That's strange. Maybe try re-installing the game and seeing if it starts working?

If you could set up an "ons.cfg" file as described here, containing the text "debug", it may provide an idea on what the problem is.
Old 2012-10-08, 01:40   Link #7709
Drifloon

It does it on both EP1-4 and EP5-8, so I don't think that reinstalling either of them would fix it.

The file is only supposed to contain the word 'debug'? Because I did that and nothing happened when I made it crash again. I put it in the file with the nscript.dat and the exe to run the game, and I made sure it was a CFG file rather than a TXT one.

For reference, this is what it looks like when it crashes.

Obviously, it doesn't respond however long I wait for it.
Old 2012-10-08, 03:32   Link #7710
Drifloon

Hm, now this is odd. Apparently someone else that I know just experienced a very similar crash during Episode 5, on the chapter 'Ten Wedges to Pierce Witches'. It happened right after the line, "Erika grinned at Natsuhi with a smile more demonic than a real demon's." To see whether it was the same thing or not, I tried playing the same scene myself, and sure enough, it crashed at the exact same point. So it seems that it isn't just me who's having this problem. Which makes it even more odd that I haven't been able to find anything online about this.
Old 2012-10-08, 22:05   Link #7711
SeagullCrazy
Endless Witch-Doctor

At that point in 'Ten Wedges', the bgm that should be playing is "トーテンブルーメ", right?
The bgm that plays once Ange finds her detective in my fangame is "名探偵は知っている" (and also plays when meeting Maria shortly after).
And the bgm that plays when Erika arrives on the island is "少女たちの魔女狩り".

So I'm thinking the problem is with BGM files that have Japanese names.
I don't know why you're having trouble playing them, however.

Also, the one thing that doesn't follow this pattern is when "02_lie-alaiaa_mst" plays during that scene in EP8.
Makes me wonder what's going on. If it's because of certain characters in the filename, is the "-" or "_" a problem?

Last edited by SeagullCrazy; 2012-10-08 at 22:21.
SeagullCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 02:22   Link #7712
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

If it's a problem with the Japanese filenames, it could be to do with a problem with the encoding. This can occur if you install the game using the Japanese installer; Witch Hunt's installer should extract the files with the correct filenames intact.
Old 2012-10-09, 08:45   Link #7713
Drifloon

I'm pretty sure that I did use Witch-Hunt's installer, and I can play the BGM with Japanese names fine in the music box most of the time...The fact that one of the songs doesn't have a Japanese title makes it seem like this isn't the issue, but I don't know.

The weirdest thing is how it never used to do this before. I have to assume that there's something I've downloaded recently that's making it crash for some reason. Maybe some kind of automatic update or something? I really don't know.

EDIT: Hm, I think I might have found the answer to this...but I still don't understand WHY this is the answer. The problem seems to be caused by a program called Virtual Midi Synth; uninstalling it seems to fix the crashes (at least for me; I'll see whether it works for my friend too). But I don't see why a program that enhances .midi playback would interfere with .ogg files...And we're both into RPG Maker, so we use .midis a lot, which means that uninstalling said program isn't really an ideal solution. Does anyone have any idea why such a program would cause this, and whether there's a way of fixing it that doesn't involve uninstalling it?

Last edited by Drifloon; 2012-10-09 at 08:58.
Old 2012-10-09, 18:11   Link #7714
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

maybe it creates a conflict with the directsound dll? That seems pretty strange, but I don't really know what else that could be...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-10, 05:03   Link #7715

If uninstalling Virtual Midi Synth solves it, that is definitely the prime suspect in this case. It looks like it's doing some things to your directsound system that ONS/SDL doesn't agree with. The first step would probably be to contact the author of VMS and tell them that his driver inteferes with SDL-based directsound playback (specifically of .ogg files in this case).

An interesting thing you could try is to convert the ogg files to mp3 and edit 0.txt to use mp3 files instead. If that still crashes, the VMS driver problem isn't specific to ogg playback. This would be valuable information for CoolSoft. (And if it stops crashing that's good too.) If you can find a freeware ONS game that displays the same crashes when used on the latest ONS build, that would be very valuable to them as well.
Message is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 18:19   Link #7716
Ryuudou

Has anymore of Our Confessions been translated since LyricalAura's post in February? Is so where can I read it? Thanks.
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-16, 18:40   Link #7717
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Some member whose username I can't remeber is translating it and posting the parts in the Theories thread.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-18, 17:59   Link #7718
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Witch Hunt said they'd also be translating it, but I don't know how that's going considering they have Rose Guns Days to work on…
Old 2012-10-19, 02:54   Link #7719
Captain Bluebeard
Detective, Witch, Pirate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuudou View Post
Has anymore of Our Confessions been translated since LyricalAura's post in February? Is so where can I read it? Thanks.
Wanderer has posted a translation (I don't remember how far it goes) in the spoilers thread. Only bad thing is, it's in bits so you'll have to skim through several pages to read the whole thing.

It's tough to be blue...
Captain Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-19, 17:27   Link #7720
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Everything from Our Confessions translated so far
(Not by me)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cwxwr6

Tags
translation