AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2011-12-21, 12:20   Link #3981
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post

Back stabbed her and cut off her arm. Lancer didn't have time to react and once Kotomine had her arm... well, Lancer couldn't do anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
He was her mentor or something like that, so it would be easy for him to backstab her, like he does everybody else. It's not like he was like YO LET'S HAVE A DUEL.

For people saying Bazett would've helped Lancer beat Gilgamesh, don't forget Kotomine would've been there too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Bazett's weakness is that she's gullible as heck around people she likes and trusts (she's all serious, ruthless and businesslike, but really really nice and shy underneath who wishes to have friends). Kotomine befriended her years ago (both met and fought together in their missions). She was basically lonely in the world since she decided to leave the village and Kotomine the only friend she made outside, so she trusted him with her life. He invited her into the Holy Grail War he'll moderate.

Lancer was out scouting? Wasn't this happened in the Church and he can't get in, IIRC? Basically, he backsbatted her, removing her arm. Remember if you torn the arm off with the command seals, the magus would feel as if their nervous system hardwires.

In a real fight, Kirei would lose. He wasn't suicidal.

Thanks, all of you! So basically it's a case of, even Fragarach is useless against a sneak attack, and once her arm was gone, she was basically in shock from not only the physical damage but the magic-circuit backlash and all she could do was die (except in HA).
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 12:39   Link #3982
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Illya, without Sakura working as back-up Grail, would collapse immediately after five Servants are killed. If Illya's not the Grail, I doubt she can maintain all those Servants (it's one or the other).
I'm sure there's a way to get this to work.

Quote:
Iskandar being around is the worst situation, because Gilgamesh would go serious and probably murder Caster first to release his WORTHY ENEMY of that woman's control. He can even hold him with Enkidu for a while, as he releases him (and I can't see Iskandar getting along with Medea at all either, so he would be grateful with a fellow king from releasing him from the witch's control. Since she used Rule Breaker and probably destroyed his real Master? Even worse). One Ea shot destabilizes any Reality Marble (because of the anti world stuff), not only that but if he has backup from Bazett's Fragarach, he doesn't need to focus on the battle (it would kill off any other Servant who would try to defend Caster with trumpcards like UBW... It's not like they would pay attention to Bazett with Gil's spamming blades and shooting ea beams around).
You don't need to kill the former master to Rule Break, so there's no need for that. Let's just say Medea buys the servants off of there former masters or something, so that there's no bad blood.

As for Ea, it cannot be spammed in quick sequence from what I understand, it does have some charge time to be able to release Enuma Elish, doesn't it? So the idea was basically, have it be forced on Ionian to destabilize it, leaving Gilgamesh open to be overwhelmed by EMIYA's UBW which would not be affected by Fragaranch (he's not going to be using his strongest attack, unless the definition of strongest attack is very strange for EMIYA since he doesn't have a regular NP) nor would it be destabilized since he's not casting the actual marble but using it to spam weapons. My thought process is that, if Ea can be distracted for just long enough, then EMIYA will have the opportunity to overwhelm Gil with UBW vs. GoB, and get close enough to overwhelm him in melee.

Quote:
Gil is the strongest of the bunch (that we know in FSN Servants, now Nero and her Golden Theater is such a BS Hax that could easily beat down any NP ever, unless, of course she got one of her timely headaches), but he hardly takes stuff seriously (in Ataraxia and against Iskander we see glimpses of this). In Ataraxia, we also see why he's Chaotic Good.
I'm just curious about how the power levels work with him and Herc. I know that Gilgamesh has the oldest legend but Herc is, probably and by today's standards, the most renowned hero in any mythos. He seems underpowered.
Old 2011-12-21, 13:43   Link #3983
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
Thanks, all of you! So basically it's a case of, even Fragarach is useless against a sneak attack, and once her arm was gone, she was basically in shock from not only the physical damage but the magic-circuit backlash and all she could do was die (except in HA).
Yeah. Bazett is usually on her guard up, considering her job. The only exception was Kotomine (and Lancer) because he was her only friend and ally (plus he invited her to damn Holy Grail War). He probably figured out it'll be boring if she finished it in the second day.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Thess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 17:45   Link #3984
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Gilgamesh basically tried all "pleasure" the world could offer, and deemed it to be rotten to the core. That and repleneshing himself with kids souls etc.
Ah, that's right. I guess that must have kept him busy for quite a while. You know, it sounds like it would make one hell of a spin-off series. Gilgamesh and his wingman Kotomine traveling the world and trying out every kind of pleasurable activities. I'd watch it.
Old 2011-12-21, 17:50   Link #3985
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Ah, that's right. I guess that must have kept him busy for quite a while. You know, it sounds like it would make one hell of a spin-off series. Gilgamesh and his wingman Kotomine traveling the world and trying out every kind of pleasurable activities. I'd watch it.
It should be called "Gilgamesh and Kotomine go to jail".
Old 2011-12-21, 18:22   Link #3986
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Kirei & Gil in Harold & Kumar style adventures would be pretty damn hilarious. XD
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 18:26   Link #3987
aldw

One of these days they really should make the route that leads to Hollow Ataraxia, whether as a light novel or something, just to see what was going on...
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 20:25   Link #3988
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
I'm going to ask in here instead of the episode thread for F/Z, where the discussion on Gilgamesh started and then went to me asking about Gil vs. FS/N Archer, so that I talk more openly and ask a better worded question.

To summarize, the question revolves around whether or not Archer would be a natural counter to serious!Gil. I was told that Archer cannot copy Ea, so I'm fine with that, and that rules out Archer's suicide method that he could have used against Saber by tracing Excalibur and suicide-exploding with it. But, now I'm left wondering if Archer can or cannot use Avalon. In the game he uses Rho Aias as his shield, so I am unsure if he can or cannot use Avalon or if it would just have cost him too much mana in his fight with Lancer to be effective. I guess this will basically be a question of which Shirou turns into EMIYA, because only one of the three routes has Shirou lose Avalon, and in all other routes he should be able to perfectly project it because its been bound to him for so long, or that is my understanding at least. Even if he doesn't have Avalon, I was also under the impression that because of how long Shirou and it were merged, that Shirou could trace it perfectly just that it would cost a large amount of mana.

TLDR: Can Archer use Avalon?

If he can... isn't he sort of hax with a proper mage fueling him?
Archer is as much of a counter to Serious Gil as anyone is, really. That just happens not to be very much....

Even Saber with Avalon would likely lose if Gil was truly taking her seriously, and certainly if he knew she possessed it.

Quote:
I'm not sure if Archer would beat Gilgamesh. The only reason Shirou did was because Gilgamesh screwed around. But they can only sustain their UBW barrage for a temporary period of time. All Gilgamesh has to do is keep spamming til they become exhausted.
Yes, but Archer is much stronger than Shirou. Even at only 10% or so of his true power, he was still equal to or better than him.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-21, 20:58   Link #3989
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Lover View Post
Even Saber with Avalon would likely lose if Gil was truly taking her seriously, and certainly if he knew she possessed it.
It's my opinion that the reason Gilgamesh ultimately lost to Saber was because she was trying to kill him whereas he wasn't trying to kill her.
Old 2011-12-23, 03:14   Link #3990
mAc Chaos
King of Heroes

Quote:
Archer is as much of a counter to Serious Gil as anyone is, really. That just happens not to be very much....

Yes, but Archer is much stronger than Shirou. Even at only 10% or so of his true power, he was still equal to or better than him.
If he's that much stronger as far as UBW is concerned, why wouldn't Archer stand a chance against Gilgamesh?
mAc Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 11:35   Link #3991
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
If he's that much stronger as far as UBW is concerned, why wouldn't Archer stand a chance against Gilgamesh?
Because, while he can counter and overpower Gates of Babylon and Enkidu would do next to nothing against him, he has nothing strong enough to stop Ea. Rho Aias might (but I heavily doubt it) be able to deflect it since in HF the four-petal deflected Excalibur (but thats an attack on a completely different level from Enuma Elish), but otherwise he has nothing to use to survive a blast from Ea if serious!Gil uses it off the bat.

If Gil doesn't use it off the bat and allows Archer to overpower him with UBW or to cast UBW in its full, then he'd probably lose much the same was that he lost to Shirou. But that's not serious!Gil. The Fifth Grail was is really mucked up though and the routes have varying power levels to your servants because of all the servant/master switcharoos going on. Rider is pathetic in Fate/UBW, Lancer is handicapped through every single route, Archer doesn't use UBW for some baffling reason in Fate route or just gives up on his goals in HF, Shirou keeps Saber from being good in half of the encounters, Assassin isn't even a real Servant, and on and on.

If you take the servants at their peaks, though, you'd have probably had a lot of strong contenders and a very interesting war.
Old 2011-12-23, 12:41   Link #3992
Shadow5YA

Quote:
If you take the servants at their peaks, though, you'd have probably had a lot of strong contenders and a very interesting war.
Is that even possible in the game? Half the Masters in the game aren't even legitimate magi.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-23, 13:31   Link #3993
Vena
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Is that even possible in the game? Half the Masters in the game aren't even legitimate magi.
That's true, but you still have at least four and maybe you could argue that since Caster is a Magi, then she's a valid summoner. But I was more specifically thinking of the following groups:

Bazett and Lancer
Rin and Archer
Ilya and Berserker
Sakura and Rider
(??)Caster's Original Master and Caster + Assassin

Shirou is technically a magi, albeit a weak one and he can't bring out Saber's true potential...
Old 2011-12-24, 10:30   Link #3994
Aqua Knight

I once read an fanfic where Shirou summoned Archer instead of Saber and they were going to use double UBW or something like that.
Pretty crazy idea (throwing aside Archer's desire to kill Shirou).
Old 2011-12-24, 19:39   Link #3995
Vicious108

Kiritsugu summoning Archer (EMIYA) sounds like it would have an even large potential for an unstoppable duo of badassery though.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 20:30   Link #3996
LostHanyou

Quote:
I'm just curious about how the power levels work with him and Herc. I know that Gilgamesh has the oldest legend but Herc is, probably and by today's standards, the most renowned hero in any mythos. He seems underpowered.
The mythological Heracles is probably much stronger than any servant in the 5th war too, with myth Gilgamesh probably making a distant second place.
LostHanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-24, 23:56   Link #3997
Thess

Now let's get real, guys. If Gilgamesh had taken the war seriously, it would be over in a day. Archer can try all he wants, but he'll never able to stand a chance against a real serious Gil. Unless he's a Counter Guardian and that's not even him, but Alaya's will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Zero has as legitimate magi such as Kiritsugu, Kayneth and Tokiomi.
FSN has Illya, Bazett, Rin, Zouken, and the original Master of Caster (someone from the Clock Tower I think).

Kotomine's on both.

Guess you can combine them in an AU game: Kiritsugu or Illya, Kayneth, Zouken, Tokiomi or Rin, Kotomine, Bazett and Original Master of Caster.

Waver, Shirou, Sakura, Uryuu, Kuzuki, Shinji, Kariya, etc don't quite qualify because they are either terrible/n00b magus, muggle or half/badly-trained (some with great potential like Sakura wasn't given the push Rin got).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"

Last edited by Thess; 2011-12-25 at 00:09.
Old 2011-12-26, 21:30   Link #3998
Cherry_Lover

Sakura would be a reasonable master if she didn't have the worms inside her and if she had any will to fight. And, honestly, neither Rin nor Ilya really count as "legitimate magi", as such (especially if you're claiming that Waver isn't). They lack the personality, experience and knowledge.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-26, 21:37   Link #3999
GDB

I don't think Ilya lacks the knowledge (she can tap into Justica, after all, unless by knowledge you mean range of spells) nor the personality (as long as she has Berserker, and when it doesn't involve Shirou), as shown when she dispatches of Shinji without batting an eye. Experience, yeah she's missing that.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-26, 22:03   Link #4000
Thess

Quote:
Sakura would be a reasonable master if she didn't have the worms inside her and if she had any will to fight. And, honestly, neither Rin nor Ilya really count as "legitimate magi", as such (especially if you're claiming that Waver isn't). They lack the personality, experience and knowledge.
Waver, Rin and Illya are around the same age (two/one year of difference is irrelevant), but Rin has a strong magic crest and being a prodigy as well as having a lot of mana. Waver doesn't (and I like him more as character than I like Rin ). Illya is another special case. Illya and Rin know more about the ritual than Waver too (who just basically jumped the gun). GDB also mentioned the reasons why Illya is dangerous.

Sakura could have had the advantages Rin counted on to be among the group, but sadly I couldn't count her for those reasons you mentioned (the worms and her unwillingness to fight). Had she given an equal upbringing as Rin, then she would be a great Master too. The problem is that she's either crippled by something or too hax (as Dark Sakura).

Tags
fate/stay night, visual novel