AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-06, 13:53   Link #41
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I wanted to try participating this year but I'm kind of lost... what's the difference between Nova and Stella? All I know is that Stella is for veteran/popular characters. Are there two different tournaments?

How do the nominations work? I was under the impression only characters from anime that have aired in the past year would be eligible (like Saimoe), but that is clearly not the case. Is absolutely anybody fine so long as the character is female and from an anime?

Sorry for being such a noob.
Super short summary (what you need to know to nominate):

Stella and Nova are separate. Stella are selected from a pre-filtered list, just pick the ones you want.

Any girl is eligible for Nova as long as she is not in the Stella selections or in the Stella pre-qualified list. Also avoid voting for any on the Nova pre-qualified list as that would be wasting your vote. These lists are all available on the nomination page.

Short summary:

Stella = Girls who have regularly appeared in the regular season (or won the whole thing). (ie The major favorites with long lasting fanbases. eg: Shana, Haruhi, Misaka Mikoto, Mio and the main K-On girls). Stella candidates are predetermined, and so can be selected from the predetermined list.

Nova = Girls new to ISML. They can be new girls from new shows, or they can be girls from older shows that haven't competed in the regular season. Any girls that aren't on the Stella list are Nova contenders.

Right now is the nomination phase. After the nomination comes preliminaries to whittle the nominees down to those that will appear in the regular season (36 each for Nova and Stella). Preliminaries are divided between Nova and Stella contests.

The Regular Season is also divided between Nova and Stella, with each as a separate contest. Round robin. At the end of each round is the Necklace contest between the top finishers in Nova and Stella that round. (Complex mathematics go into this, so it's not as simple as I make is sound, but good enough to start on)

There is then a Nova and Stella winner of the regular season (best record in the round robin).

Then you have the finals. Also divided between Nova and Stella. The top 16 from the regular season face off in single elimination rounds to select the Nova and Stella circlet winners of the year.

Finally you have the combined finals were the top 8 each from the Nova and Stella classes have a single elimination contest to determine the whole winner of the ISML that year. (The Tiara winner).

That was the short version? Yes, yes it was. See here for the detailed version.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2013-01-06, 17:16   Link #42
Dextro
He Without a Title

Thank you for the clarification Sackett, like Kanon I too was considering throwing my vote in the nomination phase but was at a loss as to what girls where eligible.
Old 2013-01-06, 17:45   Link #43
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks for the answer, Sackett. Man, moe is serious business.

Alright, here's mine.

1. Yuuki Mikan To love-ru
2. Kotegawa Yui To love-ru
3. Oe Kanade Chihayafuru
4. Tsunemoru Akane Psycho-pass
5. Sakurada Maon Tamayura
6. Okita Sawa Tari Tari
7. Sakai Wakana Tari Tari
8. Yamada Aoi Working!!

Stella Division Form
Alice Carroll
(ARIA)
Kasugano Sora
(Yosuga no Sora)
Komori Kiri
(Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei)
Sawachika Eri
(School Rumble)
Victorique de Blois
(GOSICK)
Yuno
(Hidamari Sketch)

Deciding for Nova was hard.
Old 2013-01-06, 19:20   Link #44
Team Rocket Elite

From data I've collected on this board and the ISML forums (55 nominators), here are the 84 characters with the most nominations in Nova and the nomination total for every character in Stella:

Spoiler for Nova Top 84:

Spoiler for The Stella 73:

64 Nova characters and 47 Stella characters get in via nominations. 50 Nova characters in my tally had 3 or more nominations leaving 14 spots for the 34 characters with 2 nominations. Exactly 47 Stella characters in my tally had 3 or more nominations.

Unlike last year where it seemed like Homura was running away with the top spot, no one in Nova stands way above the rest. This is probably due to Asuna and Rikka already prequalifying for the preliminaries. I'm still a bit surprised that Inaba Himeko is in first place. I didn't think she looked that good during the seasonal tournaments and I think there are a fair number of characters stronger than she is. Maybe the timing of the lastest Kokoro Connect episodes helped her out. It doesn't seem to have helped Nagase Iori or Kiriyama Yui, though.

A few characters that I think might have some strength (at least at the preliminary level) that don't seem to be getting much support are Nyaruko, Akazawa Izumi and Takanashi Sora. Akazawa probably isn't someone most people would think of when nominating but she seemed to do decently well against Tojou Koneko in a 3 way match. I'm not sure why Nyaruko and Sora aren't getting more support, though. Maybe they are more popular with nominators off the two boards I looked at.

In the Stella division, I expected Kanade to run away with the top spot. However, I think a lot of her fans are passing her up under the assumption that she's a lock to make it so she only reaches 3rd. It turns out that it's Victorique in the top spot with Kuroneko not far behind. Eucliwood and Charlotte round out the top 5. Kawasumi Mai is apparently quite popular here even when I don't go out of my way to rally for her. She's in 6th but I expect her support to be much lower in the official nomination tally.

For the most part the characters that are strong enough to have a shot at making the regular season in Stella are doing well in the nominations. Aragaki Ayase looks a bit low but I'm not sure if she's strong enough to make the regular season cut anymore. Ikaros and Last Order seem to be a bit low as well.

So far no one on my tally has made an illegal nomination for Athena. I'm a bit disappointed in this and I'm tempted to intentionally throw away one of my own nominations in the interest of upholding tradition. >_>
Old 2013-01-06, 20:54   Link #45
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Rocket Elite View Post
I'm still a bit surprised that Inaba Himeko is in first place. I didn't think she looked that good during the seasonal tournaments and I think there are a fair number of characters stronger than she is. Maybe the timing of the lastest Kokoro Connect episodes helped her out. It doesn't seem to have helped Nagase Iori or Kiriyama Yui, though.
The content of the 4 new KC episodes would be more likely improve Inaba the most, while Nagase would gain or lose per person, and Kiriyama should gain just a tiny bit.
MAL
Old 2013-01-07, 01:59   Link #46
Team Rocket Elite

My nominations:

Nova
1. Ayano Keiko (Sword Art Online)
2. Nagase Iori (Kokoro Connect)
3. Nishizono Mio (Little Busters!)
4. Sachi (Sword Art Online)
5. Saigusa Haruka (Little Busters!)
6. Shinozaki Rika (Sword Art Online)
7. Toujou Koneko (Highschool DxD)
8. Tsuyuri Kumin (Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!)

Stella
1. Aragaki Ayase (Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai)
2. Katagiri Yuuhi (Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka)
3. Kawasumi Mai (Kanon)
4. Minase Nayuki (Kanon)
5. Sawatari Makoto (Kanon)
6. Tsuruya (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu)
Old 2013-01-14, 08:28   Link #47
wontaek

We have received record number of nominations this year. Sadly, we have found much more than 20% of any Nova nomination to include names of those who are autoqualified or is in Stella division. These ineligible nominations are of benefit to no one, so we need some inputs as to how to help people nominate those that are eligible and avoid nominating those ineligible. The changes and revisions may include how the nomination page should look alike, how you word the instructions, any gimmicks, applications, tricks, whatever that lets more people know what to do and what not to do. Please help.

For your reference, below is how the form looked in English. I will also add how the traditional Chinese page would look alike
Spoiler for English:

Spoiler for Traditional Chinese:

Please help. These ineligible nominations are of big drain on our resources and also of great pain to those who didn't nominate someone they want in mistake.
Old 2013-01-14, 08:44   Link #48
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
1: Are the invalid nominations primarily Nova prequalified, or Stella?

If they are Nova then I don't think there is anything easy you can do, as the form was as obvious as can be. What do you do about voters who don't read the instructions?

If the main invalid nominations are Stella then I think you have the option of making it more clear by moving the Stella nominations to the top, so that voters will have already voted in Stella before they get to the Nova nomination.

2: There is the harder option of putting some code on the page so that nominations that include prequalified or Stella girls are immediately rejected and go to a failed nomination page that asks the user to input someone else for that slot.

3: I think part of this is just the headache of changing the format. Give it a couple years and it will improve.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2013-01-14, 20:18   Link #49
broken270
Defying gravity

Maybe if Stella was the first thing we nominated and Nova next after, voters would know who not to nominate when writing for Nova. But, like Scakett said, you cannot help it if people do not read the instructions when it is written out as the first thing we see before nominating anything.

As far as the results go, to my surprise, Shinka is first in the list after Suguha, Rin, and Kud. Maybe those exhibition matches did not show the true strength that she has. The Top 16 of Nova look really good, and I hope to see most, if not, all of them, in this year's competition.
Old 2013-01-14, 22:16   Link #50
Sphire

First, results:

Seeing Saki get a couple of characters into Nova prelim is weird. Probably meaning those from 30 below have very little chance of going through. Which means the Tari Tari girls aren't in a good position. Morgiana ended up higher than I expected though. Good. Color me sad though that Shiina Minatsu and other SeiZon girls didn't make it in. Bad timing given the series is getting a proper airing now. Biggest heartbreak is seeing no Yoshida Yuki at all. Not even in the top 158. Sad. Especially after all those exhibitions last year.

As for Stella, I can't be happier!

Thank you ISML! One last romp for School Rumble. All my votes got in.

Second, nom process:
I can't think of anything that would make the process easier. Having a checker is one thing, but that would need some intuition on misspellings. And just might confuse people.

You could scrap auto-qualifiers all together. That way there's no real need to deal with those voting for them. Or maybe reduce them more. Like only 8 Nova auto-quali and less Stella too.

The nom page was good enough. If people aren't bothered enough to read the instructions, I have no idea what you can do. Maybe putting all auto-qualifiers in one slot (and don't hide them) could help. But really, the problem lies with the people.
Old 2013-01-14, 22:27   Link #51
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And Hitotsubashi Yurie is still on the bottom.
Old 2013-01-14, 23:32   Link #52
aly_angelflight

Out of all of my nominations, 5/8 Nova and 6/6 Stella nominations moved on to the preliminaries. The remaining 3 Nova appeared in the "honorable mention list".

...but you can tell just by the huge vote count differences between Stella and Nova that the whole invalid ballot thing was getting really out of hand.

Last edited by aly_angelflight; 2013-01-15 at 00:14. Reason: Oops, wrong number.
Old 2013-01-14, 23:43   Link #53
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aly_angelflight View Post
Out of all of my nominations, 5/8 Nova and 5/5 Stella nominations moved on to the preliminaries. The remaining 3 Nova appeared in the "honorable mention list".

...but you can tell just by the huge vote count differences between Stella and Nova that the whole invalid ballot thing was getting really out of hand.
Vote count difference is because there is a much larger number of girls to vote for in one than the other .
MAL
Old 2013-01-14, 23:44   Link #54
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I think all my Stella made it. Only one of my Nova made the main group. Two made the secondary list and the rest are nowhere to be seen.
Old 2013-01-15, 01:09   Link #55
aly_angelflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
Vote count difference is because there is a much larger number of girls to vote for in one than the other .
Going by the assumption that everyone nominated the maximum number of girls in whichever division they were voting in and ignoring the unknown number of under-30's in Nova, 7747 people voted in Stella while 1800 people voted in Nova. That's how ridiculous the vote count difference is.
Old 2013-01-15, 01:56   Link #56
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Those under 30s can count for a lot.
Old 2013-01-15, 02:03   Link #57
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Also the mountain of ineligible votes (either characters without enough screen time, or not in anime at all....or are already in the contest and don't need to be nominated).

Or I suppose they could have write in voted for someone from Stella in the Nova area.
Old 2013-01-15, 08:29   Link #58
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Not to mention a lot more people will vote when they only have to click a checkbox compared to having to fill out a form.

Old 2013-01-16, 01:27   Link #59
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well that didn't go too badly. I figure the fact that I got any Nova picks in was a decent success .
Old 2013-01-16, 07:43   Link #60
HasuMasu
*Artist

Bummer Ruka didn't get in, but I'm kinda glad 35 other people nominated her.
Closed Thread

Tags
isml, saimoe