AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-05, 00:23   Link #921
kagato3

one to the manga omake says all her abilities drop 100% when not in her coat.

Not quite sure I like how much they have soften the Huruna/Toujurou dynamic.
Spoiler for manga comparison to what has happened so far:
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 00:28   Link #922
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Ooh this episode I liked a lot. Emotionless machines gaining emotions and now having to deal with such emotions.

One does have to wonder why the little kid have those kind of large sized clothes when it's only her in the whole house? Makie likes to play dress with the maids?
Old 2013-11-05, 00:36   Link #923
dark998

Great episode and really important part of the story because it humanizes the mental models a ton, especially Haruna. Fortunately there was more than enough time for some nice comedy, fanservice and the origin of the Design Child project too.

Action took a backseat this week other than the Takao bit but that's good, these developments couldn't be skipped or reduced in any way.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 02:07   Link #924
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I didn't think I liked this show, but watching eps 3-5 has convinced me otherwise. It's a strange way of getting a bunch of cute girls to star in your story, but it works. The image of Iona sitting there like a little child with her legs so pliably folded back, impassively running the ship, is strangely mythical.

I liked it in ep5 that the humans played second-fiddle, and the mental models and another artificial being were the main subject. Come to think of it, the mental models have been at centre stage the whole way through.

Why is it so easy to identify with artificial beings? Has our integration with computers, phones, etc., carried us further in that direction ourselves? This humanization of artificial beings, and their confusion over human feelings, goes right back to Mary Shelley's original Frankenstein, two hundred years ago. But maybe we are further along on that road now.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 04:42   Link #925
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
That gyafun from my flagship... :3 :3 :3
Hyuuga may own Takao in the firepower department, but The Flagship of our Hearts will always be hilariously adorable

I do like the changes they made from the manga, especially the way Kirishima exposed herself, way more gut-busting than the manga version

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 04:50   Link #926
Enternal

Just dropping this:
http://imgur.com/a/vhiIX
Thanks to people on twitter!

EDIT: This series is ridiculous. Initially I did not get why people like Takao so much. Watched the episodes and started liking her. However the show made me interested in the manga. Now I can CLEARLY see why. Too adorable and also the extra manga materials add more to it. Also, there's a translated drama CD released on that net that you can listen too and it's pretty nice as well. Just to note but I'm really surprised about Iona. She seems all quiet but her inner dialogue shows she's quite human like.

Also, I never expected Haruna to be the type to actually have any sort of taste in underwear. Thought she did not really care considering she had a giant overcoat on her after all. Lol! Eitherway, Haruna and Kirishima are really cute now. Kirishima is still cute in that bear form!

Last edited by Enternal; 2013-11-05 at 05:03.
Enternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 04:51   Link #927
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Any laser powerful enough to be used as a weapon would not be affected in any significant way by the water. At that level of power the diffusion properties of water would cease to be notable. Technically yes, the water would still have some effect, but it would take a computer to measure it, and would be less than negligible at the ranges they fight at. Of course, the question of whether or not the author knows enough to realize that is still up in the air.

They would be better off if they were using blue-green lasers rather than red ones, but they're still powerful enough that the water simply isn't going to count as an obstacle.
I thought abut that and while you are possibly right, I belive manga physics was very possibly influenced by fact that Arc performence almost whole previous career was centered in Gundam franchise where beam weapon under water are pretty much big no-no. Also everyone who played SRW games know that beam weapon under water are pretty much useless and while it might be different in RL it's pretty common genre staple (one have to wonder why noone made amends if there is no basis for it though.)

And Arpeggio is mecha too. Sort of.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 05:56   Link #928
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Tokyo Anime News article on Arpeggio

I don't read Japanese, but I heard that this article apparently explains that the anime first started production in 2011, which is apparently why there are so many changes from the manga.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 06:01   Link #929
Znail

The problem with lasers under water is that while water diffusion may not be that high, so will the bleed off heat turn the water into steam and steam have rather high diffusion.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 07:47   Link #930
DLRevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
The problem with lasers under water is that while water diffusion may not be that high, so will the bleed off heat turn the water into steam and steam have rather high diffusion.
But not a laser that has an energy quotient so high it could melt steel in a timely manner. In other words, a ship-to-ship rated laser weapon. While the energy absorption index of water is definitely higher than air, this is per unit volume of water. The effect would be negligible at short ranges under, say, 100-200m. Granted, that would probably mean they're short-range and that's the drawback of diving surface Fog vessels. But we were also talking about it in a general sci-fi sense.

In any case, we've seen Kirishima fire her beam weapons into water already, and Iona fires them underwater in the OP. Whatever they are, laser or other particle or beam weapons, it doesn't seem to factor in here. Could even be a downsized graviton cannon. I doubt the studio put this much thought into it, so that's as far as it goes for the anime. The manga is another matter...
DLRevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 07:47   Link #931
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post

Why is it so easy to identify with artificial beings? Has our integration with computers, phones, etc., carried us further in that direction ourselves? This humanization of artificial beings, and their confusion over human feelings, goes right back to Mary Shelley's original Frankenstein, two hundred years ago. But maybe we are further along on that road now.
Another reason may also be that, every now and then, all of us feel that we are on the 'outside' to some degree, that we are not like everyone else, even if just for a little while. The situations where this happen are many and varied but the emotion would be the same. We may be living in a new place, have a lack of relationships, not fitting in, many different reasons for a person not to feel as if there is anyone akin to them, or fit in, or be cared about, whatever. A person watching the artificial beings struggling as they are coming to grips with the reality of emotion, and emotional needs, can give the viewer the sense of "I've been there, too". All this could be another reason that people identify with artificial beings.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 08:16   Link #932
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 08:35   Link #933
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

This episode had a couple of pretty funny moments. Quite a big change from the seriousness of the opening episodes. Haruna's slowly growing on me with her hilarious moments, especially when her personality did a 180 after putting on a coat. Takao's appearance was clearly intended to be a gag scene too.

Here's the part where we get to see that Mental Models are slowly, but surely developing human emotions. Haruna and Kirishima's defeat probably worked to further humanise their emotions and may have given them a sense of independence to do what they felt was right in their minds.

The end card this week had Kongou from KanColle and Kongou from this series. A real contrast in personalities. One is just lazy and aloof and the other's full of BURNING LOVE! Makes for a fun picture.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 08:58   Link #934
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

I have noticed in this episode Makie was cuddling Haruna while sleeping. She remarked "Haruna is so warm and soft". This made me wonder, what are the internal structures of a mental model like, do they actually emit body temperature similar to humans, who would food go into their system processed?

I think now it's legal to post it
Spoiler for just in case...:
Tim yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 09:07   Link #935
Ickarium

This is answered in the Manga. I'll find the Manga thread and answer it there.

Or not, no Manga thread that I can find. I'll PM so as to not break board rules.
Old 2013-11-05, 09:23   Link #936
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=106111

menga thread in case anybody miss it

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 10:42   Link #937
synx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRevan View Post
But not a laser that has an energy quotient so high it could melt steel in a timely manner. In other words, a ship-to-ship rated laser weapon. While the energy absorption index of water is definitely higher than air, this is per unit volume of water. The effect would be negligible at short ranges under, say, 100-200m. Granted, that would probably mean they're short-range and that's the drawback of diving surface Fog vessels. But we were also talking about it in a general sci-fi sense.

In any case, we've seen Kirishima fire her beam weapons into water already, and Iona fires them underwater in the OP. Whatever they are, laser or other particle or beam weapons, it doesn't seem to factor in here. Could even be a downsized graviton cannon. I doubt the studio put this much thought into it, so that's as far as it goes for the anime. The manga is another matter...
On the other hand, there is a rather.... large amount of empty space in the cannons. Perhaps the water interferes with the amplification process?
synx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 12:33   Link #938
DLRevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by synx View Post
On the other hand, there is a rather.... large amount of empty space in the cannons. Perhaps the water interferes with the amplification process?
All the more likely they're a graviton weapon, since those things have so much empty space in them :/

A laser wouldn't have empty space unless its a vacuum or a sealed gas chamber. Regular atmosphere would interfere with the amplification process, not just water.
DLRevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-05, 16:42   Link #939
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
LOL. That should happen in a ova!
Old 2013-11-05, 21:47   Link #940
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm glad to see this series is getting the popularity it deserves.

Endless "Shazzam!" Soul

Tags
action-adventure, alternate history, battleships, cgi, military science fiction