2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-12, 20:05   Link #21
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Thought it was weird that Tomitake, the photographer, had to ask where the shrine was. In the previous arcs he was said to come a couple of times a year for the last several years to photograph the wildlife. You'd think if he's been there so often he'd know where the shrine was.
Yes, it's totally weird. I think this was a ploy to get Keiichi's attention and a reason to talk about the murders and the curse. He is the one who brings up this topic in every arc, that has to mean something. It makes no sense to ask where the shrine is when he has visited the place numerous times and his friend Takano lives there.

This chapter is indeed different than the previous ones which is good. Oishi's methods of getting information sure are not too kind, why didn't he question Keiichi in the same way in the other chapters when he was a lot more involved in the events, though?

Quote:
The scene with Keiichi talking to Mion was also very tense, like Valdra said, I was expecting her to go into some sort of "demon" mode.
I didn't really expect "demon" mode but her reaction was surprisingly subdued. You'd expect her to be more outraged when her friend accuses her of murder and urges her to help kill even more people.

Old 2006-06-12, 21:48   Link #22
Nork22

I can see arguements from game players watching the show how much of the emotional impact the anime has left out, but as an anime watcher first before I started reading things missing out from the games/manga, the scene at the end was both sad and distressing and you can certainly feel quite a lot of Satoko's bottle up emotion going thru.

Broke my heart as she went "I'm sorry, I'm sorry...."
Old 2006-06-13, 00:04   Link #23
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

As another anime-only watcher, I feel compelled to come in and defend the episode as well. Many of the things that were mentioned to be left out, can be easiliy deduced from both what was animated and the tips we are given. Granted, the last scene could have used a little more work, but that doesn't deserve all the bashing it is receiving All in all, I feel this chapter managed to convey the story and the main elements/emotions we need to go on with the story.
Old 2006-06-13, 00:58   Link #24
keke

I was really surprised by this chapter, mostly by Oishi. Oishi always seemed like the nicest guy in the whole series, but suddenly he's so different in this chapter.

Also, Keichi surprised me when we suddenly went to Mion and asked her to have a guy whacked. But I guess he was so desperate that he was willing to follow a lead a stranger gave him and put himself in a very awkward position with his friend.
Old 2006-06-13, 01:12   Link #25
choia

I thought this episode was fine until the Satoko breakdown. That really needed a retake; Mika Kanai's crying wasn't very convincing.

Anyhow, one thing I've noticed about Tatarigoroshi-hen is how Keiichi has become a Hinamizawa-insider. He learns about Onikakushi and Satoshi early on because Mion and Rena fill him in, so he's no longer as paranoid. But as a side effect, Ooishi suddenly turns into an outsider who pushes people around, a complete 180 degree turn from the Ooishi of Onikakushi-hen.

Satoko's uncle is another outsider, and this time Keiichi is actually trying to invoke the Oyashiro curse to get rid of him. I can definitely sense the desperation in Satoko's friends, a desperation that would drive them to extreme acts.

Maybe Keiichi should've asked Shion for a Sonozaki beatdown instead
Old 2006-06-13, 01:26   Link #26
Beyond the Shave

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-13, 02:38   Link #27
Freakman

Nevermind.

Last edited by Freakman; 2006-06-13 at 07:07.
Old 2006-06-13, 03:35   Link #28
Midrange
Betwixt tweet and woof

Totally random wholly unsupported theory:
Spoiler for spoilers zomf:

Also, I thought Mion's little "I'm just Sonozaki Mion" line really seemed to fuel the suspicion that
Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-13, 05:54   Link #29
Amaranthine

I understand the complaints game players have about this episode, but I find that in some ways the pace of the anime adds to the effect. The constant deluge of new facts kept the tension very high during this episode, IMO. I would agree that there was a lack of tension/impact during the lunch scene though. But I'm still giving this episode 9/10.

And a lot of the reason for that is because I really felt for Satoko. I'd guessed that her situation was going to be something like that, because of little things I've seen said in various places. But... seeing it is quite different to just assuming that's what's wrong with her. Poor Satoko. :'(

This episode also made me think a lot, although I think I need to wait for the next one (or rewatch this one a time or two) before I can conclusively tie it in to anything else. (I'm agreed with Beyond the Shave here. I don't want to post a load of crap and look like an idiot. >_>) It is particularly interesting to know (thanks to the TIPS that have kindly been translated ^^) that the body at the beginning of episode 9 was the mistress of Houjou Teppei, a.k.a. Satoko's uncle. I suppose with a huge intuitive leap it would be possible to figure that out from the information given in the episode, but it doesn't seem very likely. So... interesting it may be, but not necessarily too important. I now predict either the next episode or a game player coming along and making me eat my words. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by choia
Anyhow, one thing I've noticed about Tatarigoroshi-hen is how Keiichi has become a Hinamizawa-insider. He learns about Onikakushi and Satoshi early on because Mion and Rena fill him in, so he's no longer as paranoid. But as a side effect, Ooishi suddenly turns into an outsider who pushes people around, a complete 180 degree turn from the Ooishi of Onikakushi-hen.
That's _exactly_ what I was thinking. I have to wonder now, what is Ooishi really like? How much of his friendliness in Onikakushi-hen was just Keiichi's perception of him, as the only person on his side, and how much of his hostility now is due to the perception of him as an outsider?

One last thing. Takano is still creepy. I think it's her eyes... she just makes me shiver.
Old 2006-06-13, 06:28   Link #30
AzureFlux
faito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakman
Beyond the Shave : it was Satoko's parents that died in the accident 4 years ago.
The one that died in the accident is her step-father, along with her mother who remarried some time back ago.
Old 2006-06-13, 07:07   Link #31
Freakman

まいったな。
My bad, guess I missed that ^.^
Old 2006-06-13, 08:24   Link #32
Morgri

I've never seen the manga or played the game, but most of the posters defending it our right. It didn't take Keiichi to cry to figure out that he was emotionaly stricken by what was happening to Satoko. In fact, most of the episode seemed to be about him trying to help her. Eitherway, I think I know what this
Spoiler:
you are talking about may be. I don't want to speculate, though.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-13, 09:34   Link #33
Deku Kirby

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-13, 10:01   Link #34
Beyond the Shave

Spoiler:
Old 2006-06-13, 10:09   Link #35
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Spoiler:

I also defend this episode. Getting too emotional would just prevent us from seeing the clues. Powerlessness and sadness over Satako's situation is the best route.

Spoiler:

(I guess my next post got deleted because it was a double post, so I added it here. Anyway, now it doesn't look like Amaranthine answered a question out of thin air. So sorry about that. )

That body in ep. 9 really bugs me.

Spoiler:

Last edited by orion; 2006-06-13 at 16:01.
Old 2006-06-13, 14:04   Link #36
Amaranthine

I'm not sure it can be, because of this (from one of Sushi-Y's immensely helpful/interesting summaries):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
I want to make one thing clear first: unlike the "shocking death preview scenes" shown at the beginning of the other two chapters, this scene happened in real time. That is, this scene (where two residents discovered a dead body inside a garbage bag) actually did occur at the beginning of Tatarigoroshi-hen.
Unless... the dead are walking like they apparently were in the last chapter. o_o But if you carry on reading Sushi-Y's post, he says it's not an important scene, at least for the anime. The hair looks too long for it to be Teppei as well...
Old 2006-06-13, 14:29   Link #37
dopelfish
I WILL EAT YOU

Hi!

I've, as many, joined this forum for Higurashi! I'm from Poland, so please keep in mind that my english is not perfect, kay? ;p

Now it's time to post what I've noticed:

Spoiler:

Note that I hadn't readed TIPS for this episode yet, so I could miss something important.
Old 2006-06-13, 14:59   Link #38
MarmoO

Quote:
Hi!

I've, as many, joined this forum for Higurashi! I'm from Poland, so please keep in mind that my english is not perfect, kay? ;p

Now it's time to post what I've noticed:

Spoiler:

Note that I hadn't readed TIPS for this episode yet, so I could miss something important.
No offence, but I think you should watch this episode once again, because your question doesn't make any sense (at least for me). Satoko's case here is completely different from Keichi's in first arc (firstly - she is not delusional about her abuse, if you saw 10th episode you can easily tell). And if you don't feel strong enough with your English try to use Word with spell-check or something similar.

One thing which completely took my attention when I watched subbed version: Takano, her behavior, especially what she said: "you still don't remember me". For me she looks like a kind who would, like a cat play with her victim, throwing her "clues" which he don't have any chance to understand... But still, if something similar to Groundhog Day's idea is pulled here, it would be somehow dissappointing (IMO).

Last edited by MarmoO; 2006-06-13 at 15:10.
Old 2006-06-13, 15:17   Link #39
AzureFlux
faito

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarmoO
No offence, but I think you should watch this episode once again, because your question doesn't make any sense (at least for me). Satoko's case here is completely different from Keichi's in first arc (firstly - she is not delusional about her abuse, if you saw 10th episode you can easily tell). And if you don't feel strong enough with your English try to use Word with spell-check or something similar.
Just because Satoko didn't go around swinging a bat does not rule out the possibility of her becoming delusional. From this episode you can easily tell that she isn't exactly in the right state of mind. The more important question is, what REALLY caused Satoko to act in this manner?
Old 2006-06-13, 15:24   Link #40
rogueblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureFlux
Just because Satoko didn't go around swinging a bat does not rule out the possibility of her becoming delusional. From this episode you can easily tell that she isn't exactly in the right state of mind. The more important question is, what REALLY caused Satoko to act in this manner?
I would have assumed it was being beaten by her uncle, but i may be wrong.
Closed Thread