AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-01-10, 01:46   Link #61
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

reminds me of the Fut Alt ending .... I've been a long time fan of stop-motion animation ("Claymation" is a trademarked term) work.

Mostly I find them just interesting recreations of the animated characters. The ED for this one seems a bit bland plotwise I guess (thinks of the H&C lunacy or the FutAlt work which progressed as the episodes released and sort of told a story).

This is starting to sound a bit like interrogation ... what does *Lunacy* think about his/her two questions????

@wavedash: I think Hirano was trying for a wistful reading of the "I'm not special" monolog from SHnY. I agree she didn't *quite* get the really depressing wistful that might have served the scene better.... one of the cases where her experience may not have served her well.
Old 2007-01-10, 02:29   Link #62
Lunacy

I truly do apologise if my questions seemed a bit like an interrogation. Lol.. Its just that you guys are full of information and knowledge, so I am just curious, thats all. Otherwise, I just love hearing other peoples opnions and hope to learn something.

About Manabi not having a traditional director: I think, its highly unusual and I question why they decided to do that. Otherwise, its sort of a fresh way of production and maybe something unique will blossom.

As for the claymation ending, I also think that its a little bland compared to Futakoi and Coyote Ragtime. Or maybe I just don't appreciate stop-motion enough, but I think something is missing; perhaps some sort of a plot.
Lunacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 02:39   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The big risk is a discontinuity of characterization and plot... it'll require the actors to be much more assertive about their characters than I think any of them are used to (kind of like television shows like MASH had multiple directors - but the actors really knew how their characters would react in situations).

The real danger is that there's no one to push back against "executives and their focus group studies and polls"...
Old 2007-01-10, 02:42   Link #64
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
Well, I think it's probably cos they want everybody's ideas. Usually something creative comes out of stuff like that. Hopefully all goes well with Manabi cos I'm really liking it even after just one ep xD; I even drew fanart! D:

Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 05:59   Link #65
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh View Post
And am I really alone in
Spoiler:
Spoiler for response:

Watched episode 1:

Spoiler for minor comment on episode 1:

With this said ... Cuteness Overload ^_^

MOVED

I tried to cover all the characters, for how it was possible

Last edited by Pellissier; 2007-01-20 at 14:01. Reason: Cuteness Overload moved few pages ahead
Pellissier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 10:10   Link #66
JediNight
キズランダム

Fairly inclusive summary for Ep1 I wrote up for those that watched the raw, but don't know Japanese:

Spoiler for Full synopsis of Ep1 for the Japanese-impaired:

Last edited by JediNight; 2007-01-10 at 10:10. Reason: Massugu, GO!
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 14:58   Link #67
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacy View Post
What do you guys think of the claymation ending?
All I can say to that would be

(kingu kingu kingu geinaa kingu ingu geinaa ···)
hitori dake dewa iyada omaedake demo muri da
ai to yuuki wa kotoba shinjirerereba chikara
hitori dake dewa iyada omae dake demo muri da
ai to yuuki wa kotoba kanjirarereba chikara

Oh and I swear the people were doing the Sieg Heil to Aya Hirano in the audience there. It sounded like they were going "Heil, Heil, Heil, Heil". I would cry to if I got the Hitler reception.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 16:15   Link #68
Zhemos

I'll take this avatar if you don't mind. :P

Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 16:53   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post

Oh and I swear the people were doing the Sieg Heil to Aya Hirano in the audience there. It sounded like they were going "Heil, Heil, Heil, Heil". I would cry to if I got the Hitler reception.
If you see very many of these "live idol/fan" comingles.... that's a pretty typical thing with the synchronized lightsticks (I think they were chanting "Hai!"). Personally, I find otaku behavior at these things highly organized and pretty weird since its that whole "in a group" cultural thing. Actually, I was kind of impressed with the individual cries of support for her as she was tearing up ("Gambatte...!" et cetera). That required some guts

Close up meetings are even stranger because you can feel the whole "We're in the presence of a goddess" atmosphere - integrated mix of terror and worship. The *worst* thing in their minds is displeasing their goddess, either individually or in concert. It is just... very strange - both amazing and kind of sad at the same time.

The voice actresses are caught in a weird limbo because some of them aren't really prepared for how this affects their personal life. Hirano definitely wanted to be famous... but I don't think she was prepared for the intensity of what that might mean.
Old 2007-01-11, 16:15   Link #70
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedash View Post
Off topic: I lean more towards Kaoshin in my opinion of Hirano Aya. I don't think she's especially talented at anything other than different voice registers and a never-ending well of energy, which served her well as Haruhi. For example, in ep 11 of SHnY, Haruhi tells Kyon about the time she realized she was only one of many unremarkable persons in Japan. Listening to Aya in that section quickly made me lose interest, as she speaks in deadpan without emotion. Certainly we all have our different opinions on how much feeling should be in a given scene, but to me, that part required a depth of worldweary angst and depression that Aya was simply unable to convey....
Good points, even though I don't agree that she didn't convey those feelings. Like you say, we all have different opinions on how much feeling should be in a given scene. For me, actors of all kinds often put too much feeling into things, which actually reduces the feeling I receive. It's often said that movie acting involves reducing your expression to an absolute minimum, because the camera is right in your face and makes things seem overblown. That's less true of voice-acting, of course, where some styles involve definite overacting for effect. But I personally also like the flatter style Aaya often uses.

I read a piece in which she said (if I understood her correctly) that when she started doing Layla in NANA, she really didn't know how to do it, so she just did it straight. That works for me, even though there are parts of NANA where I think she misfires.

I'd like to add some quotes from Aaya I just read. She said that each new role is like a chance to create a new her. She supposedly has liked the existentialist philosopher Sartre since early high school, and she quoted the French philosopher Bergson to the effect that to exist is to continually create yourself. Who knows how deeply she appreciates that stuff, but it's interesting that she makes it part of her presentation, anyway.

In her blog yesterday, she had pics of herself getting her hair dyed a slightly redder shade. She looks a bit like a drowned rat, lol. There's no question that she is an idol seiyuu as much as an actress seiyuu, but I think that she has gotten much more interesting in the past year and has great possibilities for further growth. And the empty sadness which that energetic voice seems able to convey continues to fascinate me. But I have always liked unusual, even amateur, seiyuus, so everybody's mileage can certainly vary.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-01-11 at 17:05.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-12, 17:22   Link #71
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well this series has been blogged on that most humorous of Anime blogs the lolitron. Looks more like a lolicon series than anything else to me. I could somewhat enjoy. The humour also seems more prevelant from the screencaps than the moe (don't like series that get by on moe alone).
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 12:45   Link #72
eggplant
Eggplant

Saw episode 2.
Spoiler for Episode 2:

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 13:27   Link #73
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
It's my impression, that like a lot of shows these days, most of it is innocent moe fun. But from what I've seen they throw in a bit of the fanservice camera angles that give it a slight "eww..." feeling in the head if you think about what age the characters are.
I agree completely. It's so confusing. Especially when the show's theme directly contradicts fanservice. I really liked Strawberry Marshmallow but I honestly couldn't justify the bath house episode.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 14:07   Link #74
hi no ken Jebus

That was a very good second episode almost made me have hope in ufotable once again

Spoiler for ep 2:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 15:56   Link #75
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Big scan, chibi fan art
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 16:14   Link #76
cyth
Banned

I cried watching the second episode. This is just too good. Why is there no fansub yet?

Spoiler for episode 02:

Last edited by cyth; 2007-01-14 at 16:27.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 16:37   Link #77
stevency
To kill or be killed?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
I cried watching the second episode. This is just too good. Why is there no fansub yet?

Spoiler for episode 02:
Spoiler:

↑ tried to be tsudere

Last edited by stevency; 2007-01-14 at 17:25.
stevency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 16:53   Link #78
Jinsoo
KAGEYAMA!!!
*Artist

Send a message via AIM to Jinsoo Send a message via MSN to Jinsoo
MASSUGU OSHI-

Spoiler:
Jinsoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-14, 17:19   Link #79
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I. am. sold. Episode 2 was Wonderful with a capital wubble-you. I just finished watching it and there are tears in my eyes, too.

The scene in the store was just beautifully animated and timed to the music. Mei's little smile -- her first -- was perfect. There's more to the show than just cuteness, but it is about as cute as it is humanly possible to be.

The voice acting is good all-round. I am, of course, particularly riveted by the work of Horie Yui (Manabi) and Hirano Aya (Mei), but I was also touched by both Nonaka Ai (Mika) and Inoue Marina (Mutsuki). (Inoue-san is also doing a nice job as the star in the very different show Getsumento Heiki Mina).

The OP animation is outstanding, and had strong reminders of Ichigo Mashimaro not just in the industrial-strength cuteness but in the scenes of the descending road and of the bike in the shed. I saw hints that the staff had watched the OP to Negima!? and learned something, too, particularly in angles, framing, camera movement, and pacing.

By the way, I think I mentioned elsewhere that Aaya said about doing Mei that she found doing tsundere a challenge, especially judging just how far to take Mei's tsun side. I don't know that she's found the sweet spot yet, but she's certainly helping create an interesting character. And the animation of Mei is really great.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-01-14 at 17:30.
Old 2007-01-14, 18:59   Link #80
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Here is a page showing pictures of characters and seiyuus for this show.

Tags
comedy, drama, school life, seinen, ufotable