AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-10, 18:37   Link #2881
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
C'mon guys, he's playing for the Story.
If he wanted to be a competitive player he would get CSEX.
Old 2013-01-10, 19:00   Link #2882
hyl
reading #hikaributts

If he wanted to play for the story and play online ompetitively then he would have gotten extend. Because extend has all the story from ct summarized plus it's own story mode and the online is still not dead on both consoles
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 19:36   Link #2883
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
That's... terrible advice to give. You're encouraging bad habits by telling him to D spam with Noel. That's like telling people to do flowchart Ken with Shoryukens all day.
But it works at a casual level. You might hate flowchart Ken, but it works. It's the same as playing waiting-Guile. Not everyone wants to blow hundred of hours to learn hard to use characters like Arakune or Valk.

Besides, D spam for Noel only worked in BBCT, so might as well enjoy it while you have the chance to.
Old 2013-01-10, 21:08   Link #2884
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
But it works at a casual level. You might hate flowchart Ken, but it works. It's the same as playing waiting-Guile. Not everyone wants to blow hundred of hours to learn hard to use characters like Arakune or Valk.

Besides, D spam for Noel only worked in BBCT, so might as well enjoy it while you have the chance to.
That's a fallacy. Why can't someone learn to play an easy character like Ragna or Jin properly?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 21:24   Link #2885
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
That's a fallacy. Why can't someone learn to play an easy character like Ragna or Jin properly?
Noel is cuter.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 22:51   Link #2886
Rias

Quote:
Never said they can't. I even suggested Ragna and Jin in my original post. All I suggested was that those characters are easy to use, and works well in a casual level.
Old 2013-01-11, 03:32   Link #2887
Velsy

Thank you for the helpful advice input.

Yes, I never intended to play this game competitive, yet alone my PS3 isnt even connected to an internet. Not that I would be any good or anything :s. I only realized what typed of fighting game it was when I started reading the manual. Its probably not my ideal type of genre. But it got recommended by a trusted friend, so I am kinda aleast expecting it to have some story to it(as he knows I do like to play games that have story/light novel like parts to them, say like I've been into Disgaea as of late).

I am to assume, that its one big story but depending on the character you play, you see it though different perceptions ? Sorta hope its not just 1 arcade fight after another tho <.<
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 03:45   Link #2888
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
I am to assume, that its one big story but depending on the character you play, you see it though different perceptions ? Sorta hope its not just 1 arcade fight after another tho <.<
No, that would be arcade mode. The story mode naturally has fights considering it's a fighting game, but there are lengthy event scenes in-between that are all in the style reminiscent of a visual novel. And yes, depending on the character you pick, it tells the story from their point of view. Each character also has multiple endings but only one of them is the "true" ending for each.

Really though, you should have just bought Continuum Shift Extend. It includes the Calamity Trigger story and everything else up to this point, so by buying an older outdated version of the game like you have, you're just going to end up paying more in the end for the whole thing when you didn't have to in the first place.
Old 2013-01-11, 10:05   Link #2889
Velsy

I wasnt aware of that. I knew there was 3 different titles, but when I asked, I was told I should get the first one :/

Going to load up the ps3 now and make a start. See how I go ^_^
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 10:12   Link #2890
LROlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
I wasnt aware of that. I knew there was 3 different titles, but when I asked, I was told I should get the first one :/
It doesn't hurt to play the first for story. The one in Extend is only a summary basically and while it contains most some is lost. Also only CT have the first Teach Me segment which teaches what the different words (such as "library" and "Grimoire") means.
And also make sure to get through the arcade mode, there is some information there which isn't in the story mode.
LROlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 10:41   Link #2891
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
General consensus does have Tao, Hazama, Hakuman, Litchi, and Jin at the top, with Jin being the "weakest" of the top tier.

On the other hand, Izayoi, Amane, Makoto are frequent bottom tier characters on most lists.

The middle ones are always the topic of discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
so Izayoi's low tier huh?
There are no low tier characters actually. Only good (middle) and better (everything from high to top). In any case this list going to be high violate in almost every group with likely exception of the top. Even when we get much more accurate list a couple months from now there probably little change there.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 11:03   Link #2892
Rias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
There are no low tier characters actually. Only good (middle) and better (everything from high to top). In any case this list going to be high violate in almost every group with likely exception of the top. Even when we get much more accurate list a couple months from now there probably little change there.
Like I said, general consensus. It's taken from the BB BBS character thread, I quickly skimmed through the 3 most recent threads. Most who includes a C rank would include those 3 at the bottom. You almost never see them not at B rank, for those who only go down to B.
Old 2013-01-11, 11:17   Link #2893
Iron Maw
Banned

I see, the list implied that "middle" (B rank) was the lowest for any character at the present.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 17:04   Link #2894
Asuras
Dictadere~!

How do these tier things even work? I'd always thought any character can kick ass if the player is good enough. Is it just based on the percentage of wins for each character against all other characters no matter the player behind the controller? Tiers seem silly.
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 17:15   Link #2895
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
How do these tier things even work? I'd always thought any character can kick ass if the player is good enough. Is it just based on the percentage of wins for each character against all other characters no matter the player behind the controller? Tiers seem silly.
Depends, it's probably shows how often a certain character wins and it an indication of how many bad matchups that character has.
Like Tager has in every version a huge ammount of bad matchups. Not saying that he can't "kick ass" but he needs to work much harder to win than others.

Also i still think it's too early to make such a list, because i am sure that some gimmicks, tactics are still not discovered during these 2-3 months and characters like nu, mu and izayoi were released even later
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 17:59   Link #2896
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Tiers are supposed to be an extensive evaluation of a character's ability based on the advantages and disadvantages of their moveset as well as how they match up against other characters.

A character in the "top" tier would typically be a character with the most favorable matchups and the least number of disadvantageous matchups, while the opposite would hold true for someone in the bottom tier.

Player skill is not factored in, because the point of a tier list is to evaluate a character's potential, and because in tier list discussions, player skill is always assumed to be constant, where the player is competent enough to know how their character works, not just mechanically with combo execution, but strategically with approaches, zoning, spacing, etc as well.
Old 2013-01-13, 16:13   Link #2897
Shadow5YA

Of course not, but that does not mean they don't exist. Characters are not equal, and no game is perfectly balanced.
Old 2013-01-13, 20:20   Link #2898
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
That's not what he really means.

Currently, GG+R (the newer game) has different Tier Lists depending on the region.
i.e: Kazunoko is a strong Kliff player, from the east. That character is considered S-Tier there. However in West, there's not a strong Kliff player like Kazunoko and he's considered B-Tier.
Old 2013-01-13, 23:26   Link #2899
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

OT:
woah, I never knew Kazunoko switched to Kliff, he was so strong with his HOS during the GGXXAC+ days

@Tier topic

I've always thought that tier lists depends on the number of the character's users. Kinda like a popularity list, but one that includes Match-up ratios as basis.

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-13, 23:32   Link #2900
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Whatever misgivings or definitions you may or may not have for tier lists, it's always good remember the one single truth about them: they only matter in competitive play and do not exist in casual play.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3ds, arc system works, arcade, fighting, ps vita, ps3, psp, windows, xbox360