AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2011-04-25, 13:20   Link #81
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Nintendo confirms it's real: http://kotaku.com/#!5795241/nintendo...-wii-successor

It'll be out sometime in 2012 (after March since it's the end of Nintendo's fiscal year) and will be officially unveiled at E3 this year.

I'm certainly expecting the big N to blow Sony and Microsoft out of the water again this year. =P
Old 2011-04-25, 13:42   Link #82
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Kinda disappointed that it's coming out after April, who buys consoles after April but before December? Feels like they're totally missing out here.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 13:49   Link #83
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

^ no one buying video game at april :P

the idea behind wii2 seem like 4 DS playing together.

something like this

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 17:45   Link #84
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

has there been a new Wii yet? i still have the one i got when it first released.
Old 2011-04-25, 22:06   Link #85
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

I heard it is going to be HD or whatever that was, but I hope that it will still support SD. It's not like everyone has a HDTV, after all.
Like me.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 22:50   Link #86
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
I heard it is going to be HD or whatever that was, but I hope that it will still support SD. It's not like everyone has a HDTV, after all.
Like me.
Oh, it will, I'm sure. PS3 and XBox 360 support SD.

Nintendo confirms that they will sell a new system in 2012. It will be playable at E3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/wii-successor-2012/

New details. They are rumors, but they are from a site that first reported the codename of the project is Project Cafe, and were right about the screen on the controller.

Quote:
-Tentative release date of June 2012.
-Controller screen resolution of 800x500.
-Can play games, watch movies, and more without turning on the TV by just streaming them to the controllers. Can stream to multiple controllers at once.
-Each controller acts as a terminal, with the console doing all of the calculations to reduce latency, controller cost, and bandwidth requirements.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2011-04-26 at 00:19.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-26, 08:47   Link #87
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
-Can play games, watch movies, and more without turning on the TV by just streaming them to the controllers. Can stream to multiple controllers at once.
Don't know why but I feel theres a odd mix of "Oh Hell thats pretty cool!" and "Wth, whats the point in that?!" involved here somehwere.

Pretty interesting concept they got going but is it really worth playing games and watching vids on your controller without turning on the TV.
Kinda makes getting the console pointless to a degree but I can understand people will do it anyway.

Should be interesting to see what this thing is really capable of.
Old 2011-04-26, 10:23   Link #88
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Are you saying some of it sounds too good to be true?
No, a lot of things sound silly and like things Nintendo wouldn't do, like the high price tag.
Quote:
New details. They are rumors, but they are from a site that first reported the codename of the project is Project Cafe, and were right about the screen on the controller.
What do you mean, "were right"? Nothing has been confirmed yet except for the Wii's successor's existence.
Old 2011-04-26, 11:04   Link #89
ZeroForever

honestly it sounds like what i do via virtualization by running my pc through my itouch or android phone or remotely running ps3 games through my psp (possible for some games)

the tech has existed for some time but 100-200 dollar controllers would be yeah... should be interesting but I'll wait for more details.
Old 2011-04-26, 14:08   Link #90
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
No, a lot of things sound silly and like things Nintendo wouldn't do, like the high price tag.

What do you mean, "were right"? Nothing has been confirmed yet except for the Wii's successor's existence.
It has been confirmed that Project Cafe is the official codename. Also, the screen on the controller is probably true because many different sources have said the controllers will have screens.
Old 2011-04-26, 15:17   Link #91
Ermes Marana

The difference between this and the Dreamcast is that the Wii is way more popular than the Saturn.

Nintendo can get off to a big lead by coming out first, which the Dreamcast couldn't because they weren't as popular even before it came out.

The interesting thing to me, is that technology has improved so much since the PS3 and 360, but no games use it. DX10 and DX11 have come out since then, but nobody uses them. The reason for this is Windows XP staying popular so long (preventing advanced computer games) and the PS3 and 360 lasting so long (preventing advanced console games).

If Nintendo comes out with something that can use DX10 and DX11 type features, it can really blow the PS3 and 360 away and make them look ancient.
Ermes Marana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-27, 08:58   Link #92
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermes Marana View Post
The difference between this and the Dreamcast is that the Wii is way more popular than the Saturn.

Nintendo can get off to a big lead by coming out first, which the Dreamcast couldn't because they weren't as popular even before it came out.

The interesting thing to me, is that technology has improved so much since the PS3 and 360, but no games use it. DX10 and DX11 have come out since then, but nobody uses them. The reason for this is Windows XP staying popular so long (preventing advanced computer games) and the PS3 and 360 lasting so long (preventing advanced console games).

If Nintendo comes out with something that can use DX10 and DX11 type features, it can really blow the PS3 and 360 away and make them look ancient.
I think it is rather clever, if that's why Nintendo did this, to release a new console in between their competitor's product cycle. I don't expect the next Sony or Microsoft Console to come out for at least 3-4 years. This means Nintendo will never have to directly compete with anyone in terms of hardware or 3rd party developers. For the first few years of the new Nintendo console, they would have the most advanced hardware. And when the competing consoles come out, Nintendo would put in a price cut and have a far larger game library. I think Nintendo wants to avoid facing both Sony and Microsoft head-on, but instead dodge them strategically so that the competitors will fight each other instead.

Note that it means Nintendo would never get to "win" the console war. Doing it this way actually means they couldn't ever corner the market as it would never be a clear cut choice which console to own. But by not trying to win outright, it prevents them from ever losing. On the other hand, I expect Sony and Microsoft to beat up each other up by matching each other's hardware release schedule, generating fanboy wars for ever more.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2011-04-27 at 09:10.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 15:05   Link #93
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Another rumor: Rumored list of major publishers on board for N6 support.

http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/wii...ers-for-wii-2/

Would be nice if true. Some major names on board there!
Old 2011-04-29, 15:46   Link #94
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Not too sure about the monitor on the controller... for most games I would like to focus on the TV rather than a tiny little screen. The controller shouldn't be something you constantly look at (who actually hold their controllers in front of their face anymore?)

The new console feels more suitable if it is labeled as the next generation of DS.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-29, 22:09   Link #95
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I think it is rather clever, if that's why Nintendo did this, to release a new console in between their competitor's product cycle. I don't expect the next Sony or Microsoft Console to come out for at least 3-4 years. This means Nintendo will never have to directly compete with anyone in terms of hardware or 3rd party developers. For the first few years of the new Nintendo console, they would have the most advanced hardware. And when the competing consoles come out, Nintendo would put in a price cut and have a far larger game library. I think Nintendo wants to avoid facing both Sony and Microsoft head-on, but instead dodge them strategically so that the competitors will fight each other instead.

Note that it means Nintendo would never get to "win" the console war. Doing it this way actually means they couldn't ever corner the market as it would never be a clear cut choice which console to own. But by not trying to win outright, it prevents them from ever losing. On the other hand, I expect Sony and Microsoft to beat up each other up by matching each other's hardware release schedule, generating fanboy wars for ever more.
Not sure if they need to dodge them though. Seems like Nintendo has been more up for giving a different experience from it's competitors and so avoiding going up against them anyways.

Oh well might end up picking it up since I only just borrowed a friend's Wii.
Old 2011-04-30, 02:46   Link #96
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Not too sure about the monitor on the controller... for most games I would like to focus on the TV rather than a tiny little screen. The controller shouldn't be something you constantly look at (who actually hold their controllers in front of their face anymore?)

The new console feels more suitable if it is labeled as the next generation of DS.
Well if it is a 6in screen, it is rather big, think amazon's kindle. It really depends what devs would put on to the screen, but if it is good designed i don't think most people will have trouble with it. I mean much more is going on in operating a vehicle. Obviously this means that devs have to learn how to design things displayed on the screen by using principles of shape recognition, and i reckon a lot of devs will suck at this.
But then again we still don't know what the screen can be used for.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 04:14   Link #97
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Well if it is a 6in screen, it is rather big, think amazon's kindle. It really depends what devs would put on to the screen, but if it is good designed i don't think most people will have trouble with it. I mean much more is going on in operating a vehicle. Obviously this means that devs have to learn how to design things displayed on the screen by using principles of shape recognition, and i reckon a lot of devs will suck at this.
But then again we still don't know what the screen can be used for.
I know an obvious use for a screen on a controller; it can be used to display player stats, items, health, equipment, and any other thing that doesn't need HD display. This is what the DS uses its dual screens for. The idea being that you have one screen dedicated to pretty graphics, and the other for the functional gameplay stuff.

I don't actually believe there would be a screen on the controller. But if it exists, that's what I think they would be used for.
Old 2011-04-30, 16:56   Link #98
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I know an obvious use for a screen on a controller; it can be used to display player stats, items, health, equipment, and any other thing that doesn't need HD display. This is what the DS uses its dual screens for. The idea being that you have one screen dedicated to pretty graphics, and the other for the functional gameplay stuff.

I don't actually believe there would be a screen on the controller. But if it exists, that's what I think they would be used for.
Thing with the DS tho is the 2 screens are right next to each other, you rarely or if at all have to move your head up and down.
It's a whole different matter when you have to look up and down from your tv every time you want to use your invent or simply check something.
Anyone could tell that would be rather annoying.

Still, too early to really say whether or not it will work well but can't deny that I have doubts about it all.
Old 2011-04-30, 22:43   Link #99
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Thing with the DS tho is the 2 screens are right next to each other, you rarely or if at all have to move your head up and down.
It's a whole different matter when you have to look up and down from your tv every time you want to use your invent or simply check something.
Anyone could tell that would be rather annoying.

Still, too early to really say whether or not it will work well but can't deny that I have doubts about it all.
It just depends on the type of game you play. If you play something that is all about reflex and quick fingers, looking down on your controller once in a while would generally get you killed.

But the games I play generally are more slow paced. So I wouldn't mind stopping to fiddle with my inventory screen.
Old 2011-05-01, 00:26   Link #100
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Even in a "slow"/turn base game having to look up and down feels awkward. Do i really want to take my eyes off the TV? (I suppose getting your eyes to move is good for your eye health?)

Of course you can use it to display private data for multiplayer.

I suppose it will be the developer's job to utilize the extra screen properly. Though cross platform game might not really have the option to make the controller screen a core part of their games.

Developers might just put non-crucial info onto that screen just for the sake of filling it up with something.

Weight will also be an issue.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nintendo