AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-07, 12:22   Link #14641
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
290 is a lot for someone that didn't kill anyone.
It only sounds extreme because it is a total sum of each count he was found guilty of. Trust me, they didn't just say "you're guilty of child molesting!" and literally throw the book at him (would have been awesome if they did, but....). In legalese, he probably had multiple counts of stuff like intent to distribute, assault, molestation, attempted rape, etc. and was found guilty of most of them.

The most likely outcome for him is that he'll either die in prison, or get out at some point but under permanent house arrest. If he does make it out of prison safely, he'll be lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
He's the kind of jackass that makes it hard for me to even feel comfortable smiling at a younger person or gods-forbid give someone young a hug.
He's the kind of jackass that actually deserves everything he got and more. The kind of jackass that attorneys should be going after, not people who import books and comics based on completely fictional people and have never actually hurt anyone.

But yeah....I know exactly what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Given so much talk about default, it will be nice if some one with the expertise to provide some past precedence and insights on the consequence of a default.
The biggest immediate issue with default is economic confidence. The value of the currency drops, credit is more difficult to issue and acquire, world markets will tumble from uncertainty, etc. From there it just gets worse.

Believe me when I say that if America enters into another Depression (and it is rapidly going that way, just read a few posts back and see the list Saintessheart posted for big reasons why), it will drag the rest of the world down with it. Don't count on countries like China to buffer the collapse; China has its own problems with market bubbles and such.

As painful as it sounds a Depression may actually be a good thing. It will force people to finally hold government accountable and with a crashed economy very few rich people or companies will be left to keep their influence. If the Federal Reserve survives I'd be shocked.

The only thing you can doubly sure of at this point is that the Founding Fathers and FDR are rolling in their graves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
Jet Industry furious @ 0bama

...0bama is repeating the same mistake he did with Las Vegas hotel & tourism industry (not just once... but twice!)
This is just whining, honestly. Yes, Obama picks examples like this for political reasons, but only because it is easy to do so. Private jets are a symbol of wealth, luxury, and status, just like yachts and mansions are. It makes them easy targets.

If you've got the money to buy/use them, you're likely unconcerned about how people will think of you. You're in pretty exclusive company at that point.
Old 2011-07-07, 12:34   Link #14642
Sides

Quote:
Moving to *real* news, we'll suffer one less crap-ass tabloid for a bit as Murdoch shuts down the "News of the World" tabloid after the outrage it generated. The newspaper was caught hacking the phones of bombing victims and a murder case (possibly destroying evidence in the case of the latter by deleting voice mails).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

Now do I believe Murdoch grew a heart like the Grinch? Nope, he's just sending the assets scurrying into the shadows and it will reformulate under a new "brand". The only regret is over being caught...
What a joke instead to fire rebecca brooks, he decide to close down the news of the world.
Old 2011-07-07, 12:34   Link #14643
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Quote:
Regarding the "jet industry" fluff piece, about The Daily Caller:
Another mouthpiece that constructs a narrative that confirms world views and manipulates them.

Moving to *real* news, we'll suffer one less crap-ass tabloid for a bit as Murdoch shuts down the "News of the World" tabloid after the outrage it generated. The newspaper was caught hacking the phones of bombing victims and a murder case (possibly destroying evidence in the case of the latter by deleting voice mails).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

Now do I believe Murdoch grew a heart like the Grinch? Nope, he's just sending the assets scurrying into the shadows and it will reformulate under a new "brand". The only regret is over being caught...
It was sick what that newspaper did. I'd say they're also closing down because their actions are a direct insult to the values of their readership, and they'll lose all their sales. Hopefully they'll be taken to court and convicted.
Old 2011-07-07, 12:49   Link #14644
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Hopefully they'll be taken to court and convicted.
Murdoch's Empire is so powerful, that even the PM is afraid of them. I reckon only people from the lower ranks will be sacrificed, aka paid to go to jail by them.
Old 2011-07-07, 12:55   Link #14645
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It only sounds extreme because it is a total sum of each count he was found guilty of. Trust me, they didn't just say "you're guilty of child molesting!" and literally throw the book at him (would have been awesome if they did, but....). In legalese, he probably had multiple counts of stuff like intent to distribute, assault, molestation, attempted rape, etc. and was found guilty of most of them.

The most likely outcome for him is that he'll either die in prison, or get out at some point but under permanent house arrest. If he does make it out of prison safely, he'll be lucky.
Yeah... Anyway he should have done all that in Portugal. He would have walked free or gotten just a few years (we do have a 25 year max for imprisonment).
Same type of crime and biggest in Portugal took 10 years to resolve (Casa pia). I don't think most of them are in jail yet. They are appealing.
Old 2011-07-07, 13:22   Link #14646
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Murdoch's Empire is so powerful, that even the PM is afraid of them. I reckon only people from the lower ranks will be sacrificed, aka paid to go to jail by them.
Still better than having him being the actual prime minister and immune to law, like in Italy.
Those media guys are a real threat to democracy.
Old 2011-07-07, 13:38   Link #14647
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Still better than having him being the actual prime minister and immune to law, like in Italy.
Those media guys are a real threat to democracy.
Which is kind of ironic, as free media is supposed to be a important for democracy.
Old 2011-07-07, 13:52   Link #14648
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If the free media was actually free and reporting instead of being a political mouthpiece and/or attempting to controlling the population.

When it was the news as oppose to sensationalism....then it helped democracy. Now? It doesn't help as much anymore.
Old 2011-07-07, 14:10   Link #14649
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

The News were supposed to make the politicians that we were wary of, more transparent. Now we're just as wary of the news as we are of the politicians.
Old 2011-07-07, 14:11   Link #14650
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Given so much talk about default, it will be nice if some one with the expertise to provide some past precedence and insights on the consequence of a default.
In case of a default by the US, domestic and foreign financial institutions like banks, insurance companies, pensionfunds, trusts etc. that have invested in US debt would fall in to financial trouble. That would risk contaminating the world's financial system again, much like what happened with the subprime mortgage crisis. This crisis could spill over to the real world by making it hard for firms to get loans/credits needed for normal operation causing recessions in many countries.

Also, due to investors losing confidence, the US credit rating would take a plunge, making it far more expensive for the government to refinance debt that is reaching maturity (which happens reguarly and is a normal process). Interest payments on the current debt would increase and take up a far larger part of the country's future budgets, severely lowering available funds for social security, medicaid/care and defense.

These consequences are so serious that a default will never be allowed. Currently it's a game of chicken between the administration and the republicans and who ever gives in first will have to make political concessions. If time starts to run out, pressure by corporations, the financial sector and other governments will become so high that both sides will have to play ball.

I'm curious what would happen if the treasury is forced to borrow without permission from congress. I'm sure it lead to some kind of constitutional crisis, but as an economist I don't know enough about legal matters to make a guess.
Old 2011-07-07, 14:12   Link #14651
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Now it an instrument of promoting further divides. Is it possible that the general populace can ever truly tell what is real or a lie anyways?
Old 2011-07-07, 14:16   Link #14652
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post

These consequences are so serious that a default will never be allowed. Currently it's a game of chicken between the administration and the republicans and who ever gives in first will have to make political concessions. If time starts to run out, pressure by corporations, the financial sector and other governments will become so high that both sides will have to play ball.
you have plenty of people in the tea party willing to ride that over the cliff.
Old 2011-07-07, 14:50   Link #14653
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
I'm curious what would happen if the treasury is forced to borrow without permission from congress. I'm sure it lead to some kind of constitutional crisis, but as an economist I don't know enough about legal matters to make a guess.
I might be wrong on this, but hasn't the Treasury already done some number juggling to extend the date to August? I recall Geitner warning about something to that effect, but I'm not sure.
Old 2011-07-07, 14:59   Link #14654
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
I might be wrong on this, but hasn't the Treasury already done some number juggling to extend the date to August? I recall Geitner warning about something to that effect, but I'm not sure.
he did, Geithner said he already use trick in the book to extend the date. However some libertarian/conservative economist are saying the government can extend the deadline further by selling the National Highway system, gold in fort Knox., national parks and other assets.
Old 2011-07-07, 15:34   Link #14655
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
he did, Geithner said he already use trick in the book to extend the date. However some libertarian/conservative economist are saying the government can extend the deadline further by selling the National Highway system, gold in fort Knox., national parks and other assets.
I suppose it might be interesting to point out that at least TWO major "privatized roadways" (toll roads owned by private companies) are in bankruptcy and it is likely they'll be barricading those roadways unless the local governments ends up seizing them.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ng-bankruptcy/
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/terriha...axpayer-money/
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2542547/posts

Yeah.... the sound-bites of the "no government" crowd just make one's head spin when reality drops in. Community resources inherently aren't supposed to "make a profit".. .they're there for the overall value of the community.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:06   Link #14656
GDB

Quote:
Sounds like a liquidation.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:08   Link #14657
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Yeah.... the sound-bites of the "no government" crowd just make one's head spin when reality drops in. Community resources inherently aren't supposed to "make a profit".. .they're there for the overall value of the community.
Hospitals should be the best argument about this point.
Old 2011-07-07, 16:50   Link #14658
Bri

Quote:
As Xellos said.

Quote:
There are some major drawbacks at selling any of these and it is doubtfull that the treasury can raise enough liquid funds fast enough from these assests, in even in a fire-sale, to extend the deadline. Geithner has set a hard deadline at August 2nd without back-up plans. The closer we get to that date the bigger the (foreign) pressure to settle. One side will probably fold.

If they don't come to an agreement, than there is the nuclear option. Obama can order the Treasury to ignore the debt ceiling (and congress) rather than risk blowing up the international financial system. The fourteenth amendement may or may not allow this. In any case it would be a complete mess for the lawyers to sort out afterwards but certainly preferable to a default. Politicians are expendable.
Old 2011-07-07, 17:02   Link #14659
flying ^

Quote:
Regarding the "jet industry" fluff piece, about The Daily Caller:

(zzzzzzz)
.....and that's your takeaway on the plight of general aviation industry?

the guys in the G.A. industry better step up against this POtuS or they end up battered like what libs did to the yacht building & servicing industry decades ago
Old 2011-07-07, 17:09   Link #14660
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
As Xellos said.

There are some major drawbacks at selling any of these and it is doubtfull that the treasury can raise enough liquid funds fast enough from these assests, in even in a fire-sale, to extend the deadline. Geithner has set a hard deadline at August 2nd without back-up plans. The closer we get to that date the bigger the (foreign) pressure to settle. One side will probably fold.

If they don't come to an agreement, than there is the nuclear option. Obama can order the Treasury to ignore the debt ceiling (and congress) rather than risk blowing up the international financial system. The fourteenth amendement may or may not allow this. In any case it would be a complete mess for the lawyers to sort out afterwards but certainly preferable to a default. Politicians are expendable.
while i understand (probably under estimating) the amount of damage that cause if the US default for any reason. i really rather Obama let the republican drive the car the over the cliff. Draw that line in the sand and finally let the people decide what they want.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international