AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 46 52.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 27.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 14.77%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.55%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.14%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-15, 19:16   Link #121
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Excellent stuff here.

I don't see why Yukiatsu blames himself, but I guess we need more pieces to the puzzle to make a clear conclusion.

Haruka Tomatsu did awesome this ep, especially on that train.

I teared up at the end of this episode thanks to Menma crying and that ED song. That song really hits that soft spot in your heart. I hope we get a happier version at some point or something.
Old 2011-05-15, 19:20   Link #122
wtfATOM

Did anyone else wish that it was Jintan who saved anaru instead of yukiatsu?
Old 2011-05-15, 19:44   Link #123
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfATOM View Post
That's what I was hoping and expecting. Having Yukiatsu do it was a nice surprise. I know it should have been predictable since we saw him go to follow her, but I forgot all about that by that point. Shows what great writing we have here.
Old 2011-05-15, 19:52   Link #124
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

This is a kind of series one truly admires for being so good, but I can really say little about it other than it's awesome ... among other things.
Old 2011-05-15, 20:16   Link #125
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Not really, if it was Jintan, she wouldn't be forced to confront her feelings about him, as well as how she ended up in the whole situation to begin with. They also needed to give Yukiatsu some redeeming quality, since just his realization of his short-comings wouldn't be enough to make him likeable.
Old 2011-05-15, 20:34   Link #126
wtfATOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
That's what I was hoping and expecting. Having Yukiatsu do it was a nice surprise. I know it should have been predictable since we saw him go to follow her, but I forgot all about that by that point. Shows what great writing we have here.
Yea it was definitely a surprise. I was hoping more of a anjou and jintan development though.

@Malkuth Yea that's true if Yukiatsu wasn't there, i'd still be hating on him.
Old 2011-05-15, 20:40   Link #127
darkmanure

Quote:
It wouldn't fit the flow of this anime since Jinta has his own problems to deal with. He's still a shut in, at least he acknowledged it in this chapter. Would be weird to have Jinta traveling that far on a whim. I agree with the above post, Yukiatsu needed this moment to show his positive side of his character. To prove that he's not a douchebag.
Old 2011-05-15, 23:56   Link #128
wtfATOM

In the preview, doesn't anaru look kinda sad when she gives Tsuruko the letter?
Old 2011-05-16, 00:03   Link #129
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
This episode was pure win. Despite his initial arrogant and cocky personality, Yukiatsu redeemed himself by being the "saviour" to Anjou potentially getting date raped, as well as recognizing and accepting himself as flawed.

The whole "relationship/confession" talk at the train scene was handled with finesse. None of this "I had a crush on you for ages so please go out with me" nonsense that anime tends to overuse, but a straight "Hey, I'm not perfect and need some moral support and you are the same, so do you want to go out", which actually happens quite commonly in real life, followed by a straight denial and rejection as Yukiatsu read Anjou very well. I personally really liked the depth in it.
Old 2011-05-16, 00:25   Link #130
ipodi

Shouldn't be going after another guy's chick man. Bros before hoes (with apologies to Anaru, who is awesome.)
Old 2011-05-16, 00:25   Link #131
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
The whole "relationship/confession" talk at the train scene was handled with finesse. None of this "I had a crush on you for ages so please go out with me" nonsense that anime tends to overuse, but a straight "Hey, I'm not perfect and need some moral support and you are the same, so do you want to go out", which actually happens quite commonly in real life, followed by a straight denial and rejection as Yukiatsu read Anjou very well. I personally really liked the depth in it.
My impression was that Yukiatsu pretended the confession to force Anaru to seriously consider her own repressed feelings, as well as reconsider her choice of life-style... in a similar way that Tsuruko did for him by exposing his trickery.
Old 2011-05-16, 00:42   Link #132
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
My impression was that Yukiatsu pretended the confession to force Anaru to seriously consider her own repressed feelings, as well as reconsider her choice of life-style... in a similar way that Tsuruko did for him by exposing his trickery.
That's another good way of seeing it as well, and probably more the likely one now that you mention Tsuruko's conduct.
Old 2011-05-16, 01:57   Link #133
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Indeed, Yukiatsu pretending to like Anaru is quite likely. But, here's another possibility. Yukiatsu and Anaru share the common trait of unrequited love. In the complex love dodecahedron, they are the ones looking from the outside in. Logical Yukiatsu thinks about his options: His crush for life is dead, and Tsuruko seems to be keeping her distance (especially after Yukiatsu's recent revelation as Menma). So there's only one possibility left: Anaru. "Want to go out?" proposes the troubled, lost Yukiatsu. Meanwhile, Anaru is dealing with some peer pressure. With no signs of mutual attraction from Yadomi, Anaru starts falling back into her previous social role to find emotional solace. She hangs out with her "friends" at the karaoke bar, and nearly gets date-raped by some random dude sitting with them.

They both have major issues with their lives, both as a result of unrequited love. If one way love losers can cope with their problems is by comforting each other... then far be it from the viewers to judge Yukiatsu and Anaru. Better Anaru go out with a narcissistic cross-dresser than some guy who goes to sleep early to watch One Piece. (Have you no pride as an otaku?! Use caffeine pills, dood!!!) Their casual relationship could work out great, as Yukiatsu and Anaru don't actually love each other. They just need someone close, by their side...

I will now directly contradict myself by accusing them of escapism. Since Yukiatsu and Anaru can't be with their true loves, they have to settle for each other? What happened to the dream of never giving up hope, the dream of true love always winning out in the end? Maybe Anohana seeks to subvert these wishes and portray them as unrealistic. After all, Menma's death shattered the childhood dreams of the Super Peace Busters. Ouch... they all had a very hard time coming back to reality.

Actually, scratch what I just said above; I don't know what real love is. People getting together - not with those they love the most - but with those who understand them the most... kind of touching, in it's own rational, realistic type of way. Because Anaru and Yukiatsu have their problems rooted deeply in love, they can understand each other and be there to support one another. Hey, works for me.

I'll even speculate! Yukiatsu and Anaru will become a couple by the ending.

Of course, Yukiatsu could be trolling me and sadistically exploiting Anaru for his own self-comfort. In the above case... man, you really do have issues.

This concludes my weekly Anohana post. You may now return to reading things you actually enjoy.
Old 2011-05-16, 05:58   Link #134
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The Blame Game

Enough has been said about Yukiatsu in this thread that helps vindicate him to some extent, but one thing that also struck me in this episode was Poppo's actions near the end.

Perhaps one of the bigger surprises in this episode was Poppo actions in Jinta’s house. His happy go lucky approach to life has made him a very different person to the usual sullen affects of his friends, but his almost desperate search for Menma and just as desperate desire to stick with Menma’s wish and to achieve it speaks volumes about his personality. So far much of what we’ve seen of him has been attempts to busy himself with other things and his use of humor when dealing with issues regarding Menma. At the end he seems to become a desperate man in search of something he has left behind in an entity he can;t even see, but still he attempts to force himself to believe in it. At this point it makes me believe that under that big funny mask lies someone who is still very much a kid at heart, and a very confused and direction-less kid at that. He comes off now as someone who has been rather listless and drifting without the guidance of his friends and especially Jinta and Menma. With both of these people barging back into his life he sees it both as a way to reconnect with his past, and to also reconnect with a friend who has passed on. Out of everyone perhaps he is the loneliest of them all, seeking Jinta and Menma and forcing himself to believe that she is there, just to eb able to be with his friends one more time.
Old 2011-05-16, 09:16   Link #135
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

I said this right?

Yukiatsu is the best character, for no doubt. His gap-moeness is too good to be true.

Anaru follows him closely for awesome tsundere.
Old 2011-05-16, 10:38   Link #136
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
I got out of that conversation was "Look at you, Anaru. You got yourself in that situation by your actions, and you're a virgin? Hell, why don't I be the one to be your first time, instead of some stranger." This was more for sarcasm as he just said it so matter of factly.
Old 2011-05-16, 11:00   Link #137
Malkuth
Banned

^^same thing, with different motivation.

But I really don't see this turning into an american love drama, where everyone sleeps with everyone, if for no other reason it's only 11 episodes, not 10 years long

Anyway, there is no love polygon here, the three guys loved Menma, and the two girls liked one guy (Anaru->Jintan, Tsuruko->Yukiatsu), and being kids with no experience in relationships it they see everything oh so complicated, and can not understand their own feeling, plus having their love interest/rival die confuses them even more.
Old 2011-05-16, 11:18   Link #138
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Quote:
^^same thing, with different motivation.

But I really don't see this turning into an american love drama, where everyone sleeps with everyone, if for no other reason it's only 11 episodes, not 10 years long

Anyway, there is no love polygon here, the three guys loved Menma, and the two girls liked one guy (Anaru->Jintan, Tsuruko->Yukiatsu), and being kids with no experience in relationships it they see everything oh so complicated, and can not understand their own feeling, plus having their love interest/rival die confuses them even more.
Oh, I agree with you for the most part. Just putting my own spin on things.

Also, this leads me to think about Menma's wish some more. Maybe she's there to figure out what her wish is. Seeing the emotional and psychological wreckage to her friends that her loss left, I think she'll formulate something from that.
Old 2011-05-16, 12:36   Link #139
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
I don't actually because I think the conversation afterwards made me like Yukiatsu a lot more.
Old 2011-05-16, 13:41   Link #140
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I really don't see how Yukiatsu was even pretending to like her...

He just proposed to date. He didn't say he liked her. It was about moving on, it was about oneupmanship, maybe it was about potentially coming to like each other - but at no point was it "I love you, go out with me".
Closed Thread