AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2012-08-23, 07:03   Link #41
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Princess Tutu is one... along with Utena.
Old 2012-08-23, 17:22   Link #42
VampirePaladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
I'd also throw Mai Hime into the list. So is Cutie Honey The Live if you go into live action adaptations.
VampirePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 15:28   Link #43
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
Fate/Zero is a prequel to Fate/Stay night. As such, you know what sort of plot framework to expect. But the comparison isn't fair. I watched Fate/Stay night after Fate/Zero and... let me just say the difference in quality is unbelievable. On all levels. Fate/Zero is a lot better.
Thanks for the explanation. Will give it a try then.

Quote:
I'm never sure what counts as slice of life, these days. To me, if it focusses on plot or character development, it's not slice of life.
I absolutely agree on this particular point. In fact, most shows labeled as S.O.L. just seem hard to categorize so... adding this tag seems the easy way to go...

Then again, i wonder if there's some proper/official definition to this... although considering how distorded ( take "anime" for example: Czech animation is anime but for us, it refers just to some particular type of japanes animation, excluding traditional animation ) some concepts are by non-asians like us... i'm anticipating confusion everywhere...

Quote:
I'd say Hourou Musuko is drama. The focus is on how transgender kids figure out their identity. It does have comedy moments, but they're more comic relief than the point of the show. Cross dressing is not an excuse for jokes in this one. It's part of the gender confusion soup, as the kids are looking for their identity.
Looks nice; never seen any "anime" like this so it's quite attractive

Quote:
Heh. I thought Ika Musume was entertaining but nothing special. It has spots of brilliance, but they are very rare.
I agree with you once again... although never saw any of those spots.... mostly a main character with potential ...
Maerskian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 15:34   Link #44
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Glad to hear what you though of each show.

Also glad to hear you liked Mitsudomoe, I didn't realize you were looking for something like that.

I'll think a little more if there is anything else I can think of to suggest for you.
Thanks
Yeah, i'm loving Mitsudomoe more than expected. Character designs have some old-school touch, guess that helps...

Now that i'm with the first season ... 've noticed that first episodes aren't as good as those from the second season ( not worthless.... but not as great ) so in the end, my initial mistake with the 2nd season was a lucky one.

By the way, Mitsudomoe 2nd episode from 1st season has a really bad downtime with an specific poor/bad gag they repeated over & over again. Found some comments about it, and seems this ( fortunately ) won't happen again
Old 2012-08-24, 15:49   Link #45
Maerskian

Quote:
Can you tell I'm having fun in this thread?
And as i said... it's quite a relief ...
As far as i remember, recommendation threads tend to die abruptly ... even if the OP have some more pending questions/comments.... so can't be more happy as this one is going and then again: the quality answers i'm reading, specially considering my particular case .

Quote:
@B Gata H Kei

Missed that.

Did you actually watch the show, or are you going on the concept? I passed that one on for a long time, for precisely the reason you quote. Then I watched it, and found I was wrong. It's really quite charming, the way the main character tries and fails to be "dirty".
No i didn't . Don't have that much time, so i basically copy-paste show's names from this thread at AniDB. There, i saw the ecchi label floating around & the picture full with typical ecchi-series stereotypes ( big boobs, glasses-girl, some lolis ... and the typical dumb/naive-faced only? male character ( ... that going by ecchi-anime standards ... may have some "strange disease" that won't allow him to be around females, etc ?!?! ) ...

I admit is not exactly the best method...

Anyways, if tihis show has a more comedy/pary approach, definitely would try it ... like shows with echi/misunderstanding gags like the aforementioned Mitsudomoe & Kyou no go no ni or Colorful miniseries , etc... but straight-ecchi series... is something i can't bear to be honest ...

Ecchi series looked great in the beginning, at the ( more or less ) beginning of the E-Fansub era ... but after a couple of shows like that, i got extremely tired of 'em.
Old 2012-08-24, 16:11   Link #46
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerskian View Post
Anyways, if tihis show has a more comedy/pary approach, definitely would try it ... like shows with echi/misunderstanding gags like the aforementioned Mitsudomoe & Kyou no go no ni or Colorful miniseries , etc... but straight-ecchi series... is something i can't bear to be honest ...
I wouldn't really compare it to Mitsudomoe (haven't seen and don't anything about the others). It's more like...

Well, your typical ecchi series usually goes one of two ways: the kind but clueless male in a harem, or the utterly perveted guy in a harem. It's possible to do interesting things with this set up, if they're engagin with the tropes themselves (such as Kore wa Zombie desu ka? [first season only] or R-15).

B Gata H Kei inverts the trope. Here we have a girl who decides to have 100 "fuck buddies", but she's inexperienced. So she chooses the most dull-looking male she can find to practise... Naturally, the guy has no idea what's happening to him. The result is that two naive and inexperienced teens get together under the worst possible prospects and yet somehow plunder through that "relationship" (which neither of them sees as such at first). This reversal of sex and romance results in a story that takes puberty quite seriously, without ever being serious in tone. It's a very pleasing disjunctive experience. I wouldn't call the series a master piece, but it's refreshingly different. Perhaps on a level with shows like Midori no Hibi (if you've seen that).
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 16:13   Link #47
Maerskian

@VampirePaladin

Quote:
As a magical girl fan I just want to point out that it is FAR from the first to do the mahou shoujo deconstruction sub-genre. As in the genre can be considered over a decade old.

Quote: Originally Posted by bhl88

I'd also throw Mai Hime into the list. So is Cutie Honey The Live if you go into live action adaptations.
Hmmmmm.... i had in mind "purist" Mahou-Shoujo shows as Madoka points straight at 'em, although if we include Utena & Princess Tutu , yes, you'd absolutely right about 'em ... even so.... i'm having a hard time fitting those titles into the Mahou-shoujo category:

Princess Tutu is more related to deconstruction of several classic fairytales, with some classical dance references ...

Utena... well, you have the typical magical transformation of the female character there... but still can't see it...

Mai-Hime .... doesn't fit the mahou-shoujo genre IMHO in any possible way... it was more fight-oriented ... but they used female characters with mini-skirts for some other reasons ... yes, they have that transformation routine, but that's pretty much all they share in common.

Not that what i just said hold some weight on its own, as i can't even recall a decent list of mahou-shoujo shows so we could agree on the basics for this shows.... although as far as i remember, the more purist shows tend to display childish looking ( or childs ) characters & display some kind of easygoing mood ... like classical anime series ( would name Kemono no souja now that i'm with it ).

I was thinking, for example: Mahou no Tenshi Creamy Mami .
Yeah... yeah... i know is way too old, but keep in mind that i grew with that ... plus Dragonball , Saint Seiya , Hokuto No Ken , Touch , Kimagure Orange Road , Maison Ikkoku , Ranma 1/2 , Lum , Kabuto .... and of course, Heidi & several other classical anime series i can't remember right now....
Old 2012-08-24, 16:31   Link #48
Maerskian

Quote:
I wouldn't really compare it to Mitsudomoe (haven't seen and don't anything about the others). It's more like...
Mitsudomoe is more misunderstading/comedy oriented with a light ecchi tone on some gags....

Quote:
Well, your typical ecchi series usually goes one of two ways: the kind but clueless male in a harem, or the utterly perveted guy in a harem. It's possible to do interesting things with this set up, if they're engagin with the tropes themselves (such as Kore wa Zombie desu ka? [first season only] or R-15).

B Gata H Kei inverts the trope. Here we have a girl who decides to have 100 "fuck buddies", but she's inexperienced. So she chooses the most dull-looking male she can find to practise... Naturally, the guy has no idea what's happening to him. The result is that two naive and inexperienced teens get together under the worst possible prospects and yet somehow plunder through that "relationship" (which neither of them sees as such at first). This reversal of sex and romance results in a story that takes puberty quite seriously, without ever being serious in tone. It's a very pleasing disjunctive experience. I wouldn't call the series a master piece, but it's refreshingly different. Perhaps on a level with shows like Midori no Hibi (if you've seen that).
I was still clueless until you named Midori No Hibi ( watched already of course )

This makes me even reflect about what i really expect from some animes and concluded that for comedy animes to work ( for my taste ) ... is often mandatory some visual help ( Typical weird-face changes, strange "things" showing on screen for no particular reason like the Sappari-fairies at Mahoujin Guruguru , etc... in the most pure japanese way ) ... or just the characters having something particular about 'em.

Mitsudomoe big headed characters have some of that old school SuperDeformer style, Midori No Hibi.... well, that was clearly a particular situation ... but can't see any of that on B Gata H Kei, that's what initially discouraged me.

Anyways, there's some points that are really had to put in words ... so will give it a try to have a better understanding
Old 2012-08-27, 16:41   Link #49
Maerskian

Updating

Katanagatari
Watched episodes 7 & 8 ; ep 7 is clearly the one i liked the most... but the most interesting character disappears here .... ep 8 is still entertaining but just wondering how they'll keep the intensity or if they'll reach a higher level.

Mitsudomoe
1st season is worse than the 2nd one... even so, it's still watchable

Kemono no souja
Slowly, very slowly progressing (ep14 right now) , still wondering if it'l be worth the wait...

Fuuma no Kojro

Ep 8 right now: still entertaining... although most events ... if not all... doesn't makes sense... oh well, it's part of Kurumada spirit after all.

Started with:

Eden Of The East
... after the first episode... quick-watched until ep 5 ...
This looks like one of those many girl-meets-boy/romance animes disguised with some sci-fi/detective/whatever elements .... like many romance novels they use to print on Japan that essentially, just add plots & themes that aren't usual on romance novels ... specially out of asia....

Think i'll be dropping this one unless somebody prove me wrong ( once again )

Kuragehime

Just one episode so far... far from being impressive... no the worst iv'e seen ... not sure how this will turn out.. but will keep watching.

About to start:

Usagi Drop & Mawaru Penguindrum
Old 2012-08-27, 17:33   Link #50
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Mitsudomoe
1st season is worse than the 2nd one... even so, it's still watchable
Heh. I remember slightly enjoying season one, being a bit disappointed at the start of season two, and then recovering. I saw no big difference between the two seasons, even though there was a slight style difference (but I can't remember now what that was).

Mitsudomoe, for me, was one of those shows that are fun while watching but leave little impression behind, except for the characters who I still remember pretty well.

Quote:
Eden Of The East
Quote:
... after the first episode... quick-watched until ep 5 ...
This looks like one of those many girl-meets-boy/romance animes disguised with some sci-fi/detective/whatever elements .... like many romance novels they use to print on Japan that essentially, just add plots & themes that aren't usual on romance novels ... specially out of asia....

Think i'll be dropping this one unless somebody prove me wrong ( once again )
Well, to me Eden of the East is another of those shows that are fun while watching but leave little impression. I can't really remember much about the show, but if you're dropping it because you're expecting a thinly disguised romance, you're dropping it for the wrong reason. It's, first and foremost, a mystery show (of the "conspiracy" type). There are two films that conclude the story line; I never watched those, though I might have, had I found them immediately after finishing the show.

It's popcorn suspense - does a good job of keeping you guessing.

Quote:
Kuragehime
Quote:

Just one episode so far... far from being impressive... no the worst iv'e seen ... not sure how this will turn out.. but will keep watching.
Hm, I'd say that it's one of the shows that doesn't change much, so if you're underwhelmed by the first episode, it's likely you won't like the others much, either. It's funny how you can be underwhelmed or overwhelmed, but you can't be just whelmed. It appears there's no such thing as whelming.
Old 2012-09-06, 18:53   Link #51
Maerskian

Unfortunately, not too much time to keep watching anime at an steady pace lately .... that's life at this point of the year, need to buy new stuff, new projects, etc...

Quote:
Heh. I remember slightly enjoying season one, being a bit disappointed at the start of season two, and then recovering. I saw no big difference between the two seasons, even though there was a slight style difference (but I can't remember now what that was).

Mitsudomoe, for me, was one of those shows that are fun while watching but leave little impression behind, except for the characters who I still remember pretty well.
Just two episodes left to finish season one and, funny enough, i feel lucky that i already seen seson 2:

Season 1 is filled with way too many repetitive gags, that tend to be a little tiring after a couple of times.

Season 2 condensed the essence of the whole series in just 8 episodes, so when i started season 1 it was like more of the same again & again... a real pity, since the three sisters had potential for a radical-gag series.... although this shows walks around sex-related misunderstandings & some type of ethical wall they don't want to cross ... too bad IMHO, since this show would be another story if they just added some typical weird japanese gags here & there more often, not to mention let aside all those ethical problems.... all in all, it was entertaining to watch.

Quote:
Well, to me Eden of the East is another of those shows that are fun while watching but leave little impression. I can't really remember much about the show, but if you're dropping it because you're expecting a thinly disguised romance, you're dropping it for the wrong reason. It's, first and foremost, a mystery show (of the "conspiracy" type). There are two films that conclude the story line; I never watched those, though I might have, had I found them immediately after finishing the show.

It's popcorn suspense - does a good job of keeping you guessing.
hmmmm ... not to sure about it. It's just 11 ep long, and while it's true the male character guidelines are focused on some type of spy/conspiracy plot type from the beginning.... it's undeniable that the female one seems like she fell off any romance anime series.... all the japanese romance stereotypes are there....

Bad news is that only these 2 will get most of the airtime so this encouraged me to drop it. Did a quick-play for the rest of the series... and honestly, looks the same from start to finish.

Not my cup of tea for entertaining anyways...

Quote:
Hm, I'd say that it's one of the shows that doesn't change much, so if you're underwhelmed by the first episode, it's likely you won't like the others much, either. It's funny how you can be underwhelmed or overwhelmed, but you can't be just whelmed. It appears there's no such thing as whelming.
Well, after that intro filled with other animes parodies, surely i raised my hopes too high.... anyways, it has some oldie-looking designs i liked quite a lot so i already reached episode 4 and.... oh well, here it goes again: what could be an entertaining comedy/slice of life .... looks about to be ruined by the eternal romance-factor again.... they're already around there, and my bet is that it'll be the center of the plot from now on

Also finished with:

Fuuma no Kojiro

Not really much to say about it..... watchable for die-hard kurumada char. designs ... and that's it. Nothing here makes sense and mostly everything happens just because. It reminded me the reasons why i can't stand One Piece.... even on a deeper level.

Katanagatari

This is a hard one to make a final review ....

For starters, i must express my absolute grattitude to all those who pointed this show and insisted on it later. Didn't attract me that much in the beginning to be honest, and yes, is definitely worth watching from start to finish.... although .... this is a weird animal.... don't know what to do now.... keep it or not....

From my point of view, the series has a bad start:

- Togame isn't exactly a character to feel attached to & sichika... is just a stereotypical plain/warrior char.

-First foe from chapter is one of the most uninteresting & childish maniwa members ... although most of 'em are quite ropey concerning designs, roles, etc... and couldn't shake this feeling that they belonged to series for lower aged audiences, even Pokemon came to mind at times...

- Second chapter, as already pointed earlier, waste an absurd amount of airtime discussing the obnoxious catchphrases topic .... this turned out to be a knife to my stomach until the very end, where they ruined even the uninteresting romantic scene & final killing with this typical japanese obsession.

- Japanese animes doesn't shine for having nice or even complex endings, Katanagatari is no exception. Final chapter is hard to stand with the absurd airtime they wasted on the uninteresting ( i'd even say, uncalled for ) romantic/epic scene.... that was even ruined with the "cheerio" issue once again, so it started from bad to worse... then you got the unnecessary high-speed final battles that end with a ninja with guns as the final foe with the ultimate sword ?!?! ... i admit this is personal, but i dislike these type of fire weapons, and even more on a swordmanship context.

.... with all i just wrote it would seem there shouldn't be anything clouding my judgement but there's also good points:

- Some designs were really bright, using a range of vivid colours that fitted more than well on screen, and that's not easy.

- While the main characters were far from being interesting, most of their adversaries were on the opposite side , not to mention Shichika's sister that graced 2 eps.

- The animation flows smoothly.... for an anime series; there's some episodes that abuse of still backgrounds, and still can't agree too much some typical fighting moves ( like the ancient big jump in the air & hit as a power move .... that rationally thinking let you wide open.... and has been in use for decades in anime.... too much cliché for this day & age )

- The structure of this anime itself is great: I like more this 40 something minute episodes than the typical 20 min. format that tends to rush things too much on some genres that need time to develop.

Katanagatari has a relaxed pace from classical tales ( even the female narrator use the classical tone for fairytales, it even made me remember princess tutu ) that benefits greatly from the extended chapter time.... this helps to create a different viewing pleasure experience ( considering this is no the usual format ) that i at least liked ... and now ... miss.

Sadly enough, it had potential for more..... much more.... but much, much more.... maybe it's just me, but i see they could 've made some type Kino No Tabi meets Shonen/samurai with a touch of deconstruction for the genre itself .... but reality was they went the easy way... and even paired Shichika with the other obnoxius feamale character of this cast....

So in the end, i'll miss some things from Katanagatari....even if i couldn't stand others. The show did leave an impression so find it hard to delete right now.... hmmm.... this will take me some time to decide
Old 2012-09-09, 18:50   Link #52
Dawnstorm

Quote:
then you got the unnecessary high-speed final battles that end with a ninja with guns as the final foe with the ultimate sword ?!?! ... i admit this is personal, but i dislike these type of fire weapons, and even more on a swordmanship context.
Except here, it's sort of necessary. The conceit of the show is that Japan will be ruined by foreign forces. (And guns have changed quite a lot in Japanese warfare, especially what's considered honourable. They're, of course, imports.) The unltimate sword is not the pair of pistols, it's Shichika himself: There's a progression: the first ten blades train him to defeat the "boss" (which represents the foreign influence). What remains is the attitude.

That's also why they pair him up with the princess. He makes the reverse journey from Ronin to Samurai, so to speak. He gains a master. (Togame gave him a job.)

It's a symbolic reversal of the downfall of traditional Samurai values, due to gun import. At least that's how I saw it.
Old 2012-09-10, 07:21   Link #53
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Since we're having trouble finding things for you, I went back and looked at your original post. Here are some other options that haven't been mentioned.

I didn't see Nakamura Kenji's Apothecary stories there. I'm guessing you've seen them anyway, but just to be sure, there is "Bakeneko" and its sequel Mononoke. Nakamura has done three other shows for noitaminA -- Kuuchuu Buranko, [C], and most recently Tsuritama. The last one is the most conventional of them all, but was for me the most entertaining since Mononoke. (I'm seeding gg's Kuuchuu Buranko for insurance since there was just one other seed.)

Here are some others worth considering:
Aoi Bungaku
Baccano!
Ghost Hound
Kurenai
Kurozuka
Mouryou no Hako - torrents on a site I cannot name
Noein - legal online streams have horrible English dubs; DVD or look around
Real Drive

None of these is new, but you didn't mention any of them on your iist. Not all of them would constitute a "favorite," but they are all fairly distinctive. Maybe something there will catch your fancy.

If you end up liking Usagi Drop, give Ikoku Meiro no Croisee a try. Also apropos of "slice-of-life" shows, an authentic one is Showa Monogatari about the life of a lower-middle-class family in Japan in 1964, the year the Olympics came to Tokyo.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-11, 10:34   Link #54
Mangakasan
BURST LINK!!

I don't see maburaho or ranma 1/2 up there.
Strength isn't just about winning. Even if my attempts are pathetic and comical, and even if I'm covered in the mud of my defeat, if I can keep fighting and look up at the sky as I lie on the ground, that alone is proof of true strength!
Mangakasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-16, 17:28   Link #55
Maerskian

Quote:
Except here, it's sort of necessary. The conceit of the show is that Japan will be ruined by foreign forces. (And guns have changed quite a lot in Japanese warfare, especially what's considered honourable. They're, of course, imports.)
Now you mention it ... you're right. Should 've realized earlier, but it definitely makes perfect sense.... even the other swords could have some historical analogy .... that said: meanwhile the reference with the robotic-like sword would be obvious... seems kinda out of place on a timeline. The swordless sword could point towar an deeply reflexive/spiritual era for example ... hmm... maybe we'd need more knowlege on japan history at this point so we could go on

Quote:
The unltimate sword is not the pair of pistols, it's Shichika himself: There's a progression: the first ten blades train him to defeat the "boss"
I apologize for being so vague ....
Yes, i'm aware that Shichika is the ultimate sword... but i pointed the gun-sword as the ultimate.... setting Shichika aside, of course ; i mean, out of the initial lot, looks like the more powerful ...

Quote:
That's also why they pair him up with the princess. He makes the reverse journey from Ronin to Samurai, so to speak. He gains a master. (Togame gave him a job.)
Can't bring myself to agree with this point, since the princess looks more like a freeloader or forced travel companion on Shichika's personal quest. Doesn't look in the mood of taking orders from her either, and he even ask her to be useful in any way ...

The princess on the other hand, seems kinda relieved of his fate as Kiki's daughter; there's a sudden change of attitude, less arrogant and looks genuinely happy... more like she doesn't need to act like a princess no more....

While it's true that Togame initially hired Shichika, it developed into something else.... the series focused too much on it as to look the other way. plus the most important point concerning togame IMHO is:

Shichika is a sword .... so Togame would be his legitimate user .... but she wasn't able to use his full potential by restraining it, and never was able to read the game of the princess either... so i read it as a character that hardly took the right choices during her lifetime...

There's more to comment on this, but i must apologize since i'm quite dense right now ....

Quote:
It's a symbolic reversal of the downfall of traditional Samurai values, due to gun import.
For sure there's some symbolic structure in this anime, that's why i said it had much more potential, and even mentioned Kino No Tabi .... but, even if you're probably pointing in the right direction, i feel like some pieces aren't in place , like the robotic-sword.

Kiki was able to see the future, so it's obvious that some swords point towards specific japanese eras .... but... would that apply to all of 'em ? and ... what would be the symbolic purpouse of each one ?

This could be interesing, so if anybody feel like going deeper into this, please go ahead
Old 2012-09-16, 17:32   Link #56
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangakasan View Post
I don't see maburaho or ranma 1/2 up there.
Already mentioned that i grew up with Ranma 1/2 ; i need to re-visit this one ... see if i still feel the same about it. I remember it was quite repetitive .... maybe would be better with much less episodes...

Maburaho was one of those titles i had stored since it aired.... and finally tried it before opening this thred ... but it's just a generic ecchi with nothing remarkable on the creative/visual side . Ecchi's aren't my cup of tea anyways
Old 2012-09-16, 18:17   Link #57
Maerskian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Since we're having trouble finding things for you, I went back and looked at your original post. Here are some other options that haven't been mentioned.
Thanks a lot for your time

Quote:
I didn't see Nakamura Kenji's Apothecary stories there. I'm guessing you've seen them anyway, but just to be sure, there is "Bakeneko" and its sequel Mononoke. Nakamura has done three other shows for noitaminA -- Kuuchuu Buranko, [C], and most recently Tsuritama. The last one is the most conventional of them all, but was for me the most entertaining since Mononoke. (I'm seeding gg's Kuuchuu Buranko for insurance since there was just one other seed.)
This thread is filled with too much messages already so it's hard to follow, but think i mentioned Mononoke ... in fact Mononoke + Bakeneko are included on my all-time favorites

Also mentioned Kuchuu Buranko .... or to be precise: i attempted to describe it since couldn't remember the name at that time, but yes, i enjoyed this one as well

Didn't knew about Tsuritama, so i'm pretty pumped about this one... specially since there's a standalone player-friendly version to get Yayyyy !!!! Thanks-a-zillion !!!!

Aoi Bungaku
Seen already .... back in the days . I still remember having high hopes for this one back then.... in the end, it wasn't that brilliant, although it was an enterteining watch.

Baccano!
Also watched this one when it was aired; mentioned this already at some point of this thread, but it was ok.... nothing great, just a quick watch, but there's not even many like this one after all

Ghost Hound
Also mentioned at some point of this thread ; yes, another one of my favorites; it's been a while since i don't see any series like this one.... looks like nowadays nobody will be doing something in this vein.... real pity ...

Kurenai

It was already recommended on this thread as well, and is still on the list i made out of this thread. Think i'll copy-paste that list on my next message along with the updated status of the series i'm watching.

Kurozuka
To be honest, didn't recognize this one at first ..... had to read some reviews & see some pics.... but yes, already watched it back then; now i remember, it was quite nice, with potential to be much better, but quite ok

Noein
Already watched this one back then as well
It was ok, had some great animation on some particular chapters, entertaining ... but it was too much action-filled for my taste. Entertaining and must have it stored somewhere... but would need a second watch, maybe ...

Quote:
Real Drive
Had to check my old files to be sure .... but looks like i started this one when started airing. Still have 6 episodes floating around .... but stopped there.
All i can remember is raising my hopes on this one .... i even read some reviews comparing it with GITS and the likes .... and can't understand it.... what i remember was far.... really far from being a great title .... if my memory doesn't betray me, it even included some kind of robotic nurses that felt out of place and made the start of the series boring ....

Not sure what to do with this one.... read it improves after chapter 7 ... maybe it's a candidate for a 2nd chance ?

Quote:
None of these is new, but you didn't mention any of them on your iist. Not all of them would constitute a "favorite," but they are all fairly distinctive. Maybe something there will catch your fancy.
That's the idea. Watched a fair number of series already, but surely missed many as well

Quote:
If you end up liking Usagi Drop, give Ikoku Meiro no Croisee a try. Also apropos of "slice-of-life" shows, an authentic one is Showa Monogatari about the life of a lower-middle-class family in Japan in 1964, the year the Olympics came to Tokyo.
[/QUOTE]

Will add those two to my list, thank you.
I'm having trouble finding a standalone player-friendly version of Usagi Drop .... but will start with it as soon as i find one ... or a way to re-encode what i have
Old 2012-09-16, 18:39   Link #58
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Can't bring myself to agree with this point, since the princess looks more like a freeloader or forced travel companion on Shichika's personal quest. Doesn't look in the mood of taking orders from her either, and he even ask her to be useful in any way ...
Hm, I think you're right there. It's been a while since I watched it, so I'd have to revisit the show to figure out where that memory comes from.

Quote:
but, even if you're probably pointing in the right direction, i feel like some pieces aren't in place , like the robotic-sword.
I'm not that knowledgable in Japanese history, but I always thought of the robotic sword as a reference to the automata that were popular during that time. I've never heard of sword fighting automata, obviously, but I wouldn't put it beyond some rich guy to use automata instead of straw puppets to train. (Here's a link that vaguely describes an archery automaton that apparantly could react to a hit or miss.)

I'm sure there's a lot I'm missing in there, too. I don't think going too deep there is a good idea, though. It's really a sentimantal but fun romp through history, I think. Lots of "poetic license".

I'm curious what you'll think of Kurenai. It's one of my favourites, especially due to the outstanding voice actors: Sawashiro Miyuki and Yuuki Aoi really brought the main characters' relationship to life. Most of the side characters are interesting, too.
Old 2012-09-16, 19:08   Link #59
Maerskian

And now, for my "weekly" update

Ongoing
-----------

Astro fighter sunred
Found this one by pure casualty.... and turned out to be quite entertaining/watchable. Love deep-parody ( must enfatize deep here )/comedies .... and while i mostly dislike bioman/power-rangers and the like, this is the second time in a row ( the first one being mitsudomoe 2nd season 1st chapter ) i find a parody about this type of series funny. 16 episodes already... and there's even a 2nd season ... yay !!!

DT Eightron
Another recent find on older-looking anime. Seen 3 episodes already ... and doesn't look exactly great.... nothing stands out visually, but the genre is promising itself, so need to find some strength to watch some more episodes and see if this can develop the right way.... although is just hope for the time being

Infinite Ryvius
It's been years since i promised myself i'd start this one.... so finally did it .
Just watched 2 episodes ... and as DT Eightron, there's nothing visually great .... but the sci-fi genre always has potential, plus this title always had great reviews.... even if it doesn't impress from the start, doesn't look as poor as DT Eightron so let's see how it goes

OZMA
Yet another recent find ....
Felt inmediately attracted by a couple of Leiji Matsumoto/Harlock saga-looking characters . Just watched one episode ... and i'm having a hard time to bring myself to not drop it.... considering is just 6 episodes long.... need to think about it.

Hakugei - Legend of the Moby Dick

And another recent find . To be honest, the fact that i'm facing so many problems finding standalone player-friendly versions makes it easier to go after older series like this one .... or just check animes subbed by fansubs that doesn't use the newer codecs on his releases.

3 episodes for the time being. The series had a very promising start... but then changed to the point of view of a 14 year old boy and now has a more "classical-anime" pace . Seems like it could develop into something else so will keep going for a while

Tasogare Otome X Amnesia

Finally ! Thanks Horrible-Subs for not using the newest codecs !! Tried several versions until i finally gave this one a chance.

3 Episodes already . Looks like a "relatively" conventiional ( it's hard to use this two word referring to japanese anime at times... ) mix of school-life/ghost-story anime flavored with some ecchi/love triangle-harem stereotypes plus some typical comedy-gags from those genres.

Nothing great plot-wise nor the comedy-gags either..... but it's clear they had a decent budget to do this series since the animation is quite smooth, and the art direction shines often, making it more enjoyable than your average anime... although his aim is just being a "fast-food-watch" ...

Dloading
----------------

Mouryou no Hako
Tsuritama
Real Drive
Kurenai

Stalled
----------

Kemono no souja
Stuck at episode 12 . Designs, animation, etc... are too weak for this day & age; the pace is too "Classic" and naive.... think i'll resume this late but can't do it right now
Kuragehime Stuck after episode 5 . It wasn't great anime from the start, but was watchable.... but now they introduced the romantic twist, i can find reasons to go on.... stalled for now

Dropped
---------------

Mokke
Nothing to mention here.... too naive, poor animation, way too classic designs ...
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Then again .... very poor animation and the worst characteristics of classical animes: naive characters & action, poor designs, nothing that adds for those who already watched several classical series, etc...
Denpa Teki na Kanojo
Watched the first OVA ... and was already too much .... nothing to mention here...

And this is the updated list of recommendations i made out of this thread:

Beelzebub
Level E
WORKING!!
Black Butler
Broken Blade
Hourou Musuko
Fate/Zero
Working!
anamaru Youchien
Kodomo no Jikan
Ghost Hunt
Moshidora
Dantalian no Shoka
Un-Go
Denpa Onna
Hourou Musuko
Dantalian no Shoka
Un-Go
Shion no Ou
Mirai Nikki
soul eater
Sword art online
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
Showa Monogatari

Having trouble finding standalone player-friendly versions for these ones:

Joshiraku
Kill Me Baby
Binbougami ga
Bunny Drop
Mawaru Penguin Drum

Also:

- still need to give a second try to Karasu Tengu Kabuto ; grew up with this series, but when i tried it some years ago it was .... too rough & plain... but still plan to give it a second chance.

- HACK series ; think i've been posponing this one for over a decade now ... maybe it's time to check it as well
Old 2012-09-16, 20:09   Link #60
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You don't say whether you are in North America. If you are, you can watch Usagi Drop on Crunchyroll. If not, there are certainly torrents out there.

What do you mean by "player-friendly?" If you're looking for shows encoded in something like XviD, you'll be pretty much out of luck. Nearly every show released in the past few years uses the H.264 codec in the Matroska container. I recommend SMPlayer. No Mac OSX version though. For that platform, check this thread.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote