Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-08-12, 14:47   Link #1
bunnykun
What is, what is?

Cant establish internet conncetion...

HI,

Im posting this cause i am totally stumped!

Heres my dilemma, i recently wanted to upgrade Windows ME to WINXP on my Hp pavilion computer. I did the usual process deleted the main partition, created a new one formatted and installed the WinXP OS. When thats all said and done, i tried to connect to the internet and i CANT. All the lights on the cable modem is working a blinking and so is the light in the back of the comp.

First i thought it was maybe the drivers, and they were working fine.

Usually dont you just plug in the cable after you connect then you'll connect to the internet just like that? CAuse it worked fine when i build my other comp and conencting to the internet was a breeze.

Any input is great. THx.
bunnykun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 15:15   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Go to the command prompt and run ipconfig:
c:\>ipconfig /all
That will tell you what network connections you've got configured, what IPs they have been assigned and if they are enabled or not. Once we know that we can come up with possible solutions. If you need help understanding the output post it here... or PM / message me if you're prefer not to post the information publicly.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 16:37   Link #3
bunnykun
What is, what is?

Gotcha here the screenshot i took from DOS.

Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-12, 17:19   Link #4
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

That says you don't have an IP address -- which would make sense if you get "can't establish connection" errors. If you're connecting to the Internet via cable modem; you'll probably be using your service provider's DHCP server (the thing that gives out IP addresses when you connect).

It looks like you've checked the drivers, the cables and the modem itself -- the next thing to do would be to see if you can force windows to request an IP address.
Try ipconfig again:
c:\>ipconfig /release
c:\>ipconfig /renew
Release might fail because you've not got an address and renew might fail if there is a network problem. If both fail, go and have a look at the TCP/IP setting for the LAN card. Right click on the "My Network Places" and select Properties to get the list of network devices you can configure; you want the properties of the "Local Area Connection". It looks like DHCP is enabled from the screen shot but you can check it anyway.

Are you connecting to the Internet with any other computers via the cable modem? If so what is the layout of your network like? What computers connect to what?
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-12, 20:47   Link #5
bunnykun
What is, what is?

ok i did it, it seems i got a ip address but thats aboutt he only thing i got.
I still dont have internet access.

how is it i should configure the tcp/ip settings?

Yea i am connected to the internet with my other main computer, there isnt a network, no router. basically i have to disconnect my main compuer and reconnect my old computer to use the internet.

Like i said my old computer was a HP, and when i installed windows xp on it i didnt install no drivers, yet computer doesnt detect any new hardware or have a ! next to the hardware.

THX much for the input.
Old 2004-08-13, 01:54   Link #6
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Did you register your old computer MAC address with your cable provider? They may only allow that MAC address to gain an IP or gain access.

another thing is what is your HP Pav model? I had a simliar problem with my dad's HP system and I discovered that XP detected the network card incorrectly. On some HP Pav Models, the system NIC card uses the Intel/Realtek drivers.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 02:22   Link #7
Green²
It's bacon!

If you're using a cable modem, sometimes you will need to reboot the modem when making changes between two different computers. Quickest method I know is to pull the modem's AC plug, hook up the network cable to the desired computer, and then plug the AC of the modem back in.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-13, 03:03   Link #8
bunnykun
What is, what is?

well i got it working i reformatted and reinstalled windows and rebootied the cable modem and got it to work.

but i think my problem was taht i skipped the internet connection wizard at the beggining of the winxp install and that i didnt reboot my cable modem before making any changes. I wracked my mind the whole day for this thing, whew!

Thx all for your input!