AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you use to watch anime?
Media Player Classic 29 58.00%
Zoom Player 18 36.00%
Core Media Player 4 8.00%
Windows Media Player 9 18.00%
VLC 5 10.00%
Quicktime 2 4.00%
RealPlayer 3 6.00%
iTunes 1 2.00%
Other (Please specify in post) 8 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-03-19, 00:34   Link #1
marka
pocky collector

Lightbulb players

Anyhoo i was just wondering what people used to play their anime

somewhat rant:
i was watching my anime right, and some of the anime was in mpeg4 format. Okidaisies, okidaisies, fine, fine, i've watched mpeg4 files before.

*double click*

VLC player pops up...i don't really like VLC player
>.> it's ugly and hard to use in full screen mode.
somewhat rant

soooo...just decided to make this to shop around for players other people use

thanks for the help

ps
yes this is BU too
Old 2007-03-19, 00:42   Link #2
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

You should post in playback help thread. Anyway, it will most probably moved there.

For your question, I am using either windows media player or media player classic, and rarely divx player. WMP does the job pretty well, in terms of both video and audio quality. Divxplayer is just an old favorite. And, when the pc is busy for other things, for quality watching (minimum undesired pauses while playing) I prefer media player classic.
Old 2007-03-19, 01:51   Link #3
jedinat

Zoom Player is the best. All those other ones you've got up there suck. IMHO
Old 2007-03-19, 01:57   Link #4
Nicholi
King of Hosers

/me shudders at the selection in the poll.

Could you at least add some players that actually work n_n? TCMP is maybe the only nice one up there, however its extremely old and going to be tossed aside for new Core projects. WMP of course halfway works but you run into all kinds of strange problems because a "Microsoft" decoder/filter is not used. The rest are just insanely evul players... I can't believe you even mentioned them .

Here is a list of DirectShow players and if they work with DirectShow filters/decoders (as they should) or not. Mostly in terms of telling people if they can use their "favorite" player with the CCCP. However many times it turns out their player is really just crappy and doesn't properly integrate with DirectShow at all . The recommended players are of course Media Player Classic and Zoom Player.

For example, something like BSPlayer has a tendency to crash many times if you aren't using its magical internal filters. Which is sort of a problem, especially when there are much more reliable external decoders/filters you can use. Not to mention it just crashes a lot all on its own :P.

My suggestion is choose a player which will actually work with decoders/filters you install. Instead of something that tries to save the world with internal components and refuses to correctly work with external filters.

P.S. Practically all the anime you've been watching since about 2001 on the internet is "MPEG4". MP4 is just the container, and you can't really describe it as simply as "MPEG4".
Old 2007-03-19, 02:07   Link #5
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
Here is a list of DirectShow players and if they work with DirectShow filters/decoders (as they should) or not.
I don't know how reliable that source is. I have been using windows media player, and haven't had any problem unless I was the one who created the problem (by downloading unnecessary amount of codecs or filters).
Old 2007-03-19, 03:48   Link #6
monster

Windows Media Player (with help from CCCP) for most of my anime playback (currently, all but one RMVB file in my computer).
RealPlayer for RealMedia files.
Media Player Classic and Zoom Player (both comes with CCCP) as primary backups.
MPlayer as secondary backup.
VLC media player as last resort for some occasional corrupted/incomplete/whatever files when I don't have the time or know where to get a better version of the files and that work with VLC.

Last edited by monster; 2007-03-19 at 04:02.
Old 2007-03-19, 04:53   Link #7
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Media Player Classic is the only one I like to use on a regular basis.
Old 2007-03-19, 05:06   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I use The Core Media Player for anything, from music playback to anime watching. Never had any problems with it (of course, you should NOT install any of the codecs included in the installer). The main reason is because it's the only player that has an easy-accessible color management option, most others (Windows Media Player, VLC) don't have it. That's because my monitor for some strange reason is too dark when playing media/games, and with the default settings it looks horrible in any media player.

I've tried Zoom Player but the handling of it really seemed somewhat clunky and non-instinctive.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-03-19, 05:47   Link #9
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
I don't know how reliable that source is. I have been using windows media player, and haven't had any problem unless I was the one who created the problem (by downloading unnecessary amount of codecs or filters).
It's listed as acceptable after all. It only breaks for some, but those cases are hard to troubleshoot and mostly unfixable like in the case of anamorphic for WMP10.
Old 2007-03-19, 05:59   Link #10
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

There were two absolutely essential players missing from the poll. As Nicholi said, you needed to list more players which actually work reliably. To deal with this problem I have stripped the poll and fixed it. All votes were voided and everyone will have to vote again. Hopefully now there will be fewer votes in the "other" category. 50% voting for "Other" seemed inordinately high to me.

Added to poll: Media Player Classic and Zoom Player. There are still some decent players not listed, but at least the poll should be acceptable now.

My favorite player is Core Media Player. I absolutely adore it for too many reasons. My second favorite is Media Player Classic which I also use quite a bit.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-03-19, 09:49   Link #11
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Posts of the type "but I use it and I haven't had any problems" are generally quite pointless. No matter how much anime you've watched, it's quite likely that the CCCP staff has still tested many, many more files and configurations than you have and ever will in your whole life. I realize that this sounds a lot like arrogant chest-beating, but we HAVE been doing this for almost two years, and during that time we've acquired a VERY large set of various funky test files. When we say that something works, we really mean it does work with EVERYTHING we have tested (and that is NOT just the standard formats you find in any modern fansub).

Edit: oh, and I mostly use ZoomPlayer, because it's so customizeable and because it doesn't have any annoying internal filters except an audio stream switcher. I do use MPC occasionally too, though. On my Linux box I use MPlayer.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2007-03-19 at 12:50.
Old 2007-03-19, 10:08   Link #12
shiro83

ZoomPlayer on my desktop,
VLC on my notebook.

Yeah, ever since Code Geass episode 15, I switched to Zoom. Used to be both VLC on my 2 computers.
Old 2007-03-19, 10:29   Link #13
Devastator

Media Player Classic for everything (even on old computers and laptops) except web testing, for which I use QuickTime to make sure that the vast majority should be able to watch it.
Old 2007-03-19, 14:50   Link #14
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
Posts of the type "but I use it and I haven't had any problems" are generally quite pointless. No matter how much anime you've watched, it's quite likely that the CCCP staff has still tested many, many more files and configurations than you have and ever will in your whole life. I realize that this sounds a lot like arrogant chest-beating, but we HAVE been doing this for almost two years, and during that time we've acquired a VERY large set of various funky test files.
Still, the point is, whatever the system used for testing is, it will "never" be fool-proof.

There are many combinations that will cause the player not work effectively, including the combination of filters or codec packs used, the settings of your pc, the characteristics of the file, etc. You may not know where the source of the error is, as I mentioned in my case, it is normally me. But, in my case, I have never failed to play the file on WMP, after modifications on my pc.

My opinion, alone, may not count as highly credible, but it is still credible. So, I am sorry to hear you think that way, but, it is not pointless.

By the way, at least, I am not marketing a product here, I am giving my non-biased opinion.
Old 2007-03-19, 15:19   Link #15
Loniat
Paranoid Android

What I usually use:

Mplayer in Linux
MPC and Zoom in Windows
VLC in the Mac
Old 2007-03-19, 15:24   Link #16
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Still, the point is, whatever the system used for testing is, it will "never" be fool-proof.

There are many combinations that will cause the player not work effectively, including the combination of filters or codec packs used, the settings of your pc, the characteristics of the file, etc. You may not know where the source of the error is, as I mentioned in my case, it is normally me. But, in my case, I have never failed to play the file on WMP, after modifications on my pc.

My opinion, alone, may not count as highly credible, but it is still credible. So, I am sorry to hear you think that way, but, it is not pointless.

By the way, at least, I am not marketing a product here, I am giving my non-biased opinion.
You make a pretty decent theoretical argument, but it would be a lot more impressive (and credible) if there weren't known issues with WMP10/11 and anamorphic videos in, well, all sane configurations.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2007-03-19, 15:26   Link #17
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Ever since I moved to the CCCP camp, I have been using ZoomPlayer for pretty much anything I watch.

Gotten pretty used to it now.
Old 2007-03-19, 16:47   Link #18
iamtetsuo
Thinking Different Member
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to iamtetsuo
mPlayer is missing from the list.
That being said I use mPlayer and VLC on my Mac.
Old 2007-03-19, 17:04   Link #19
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Yeah, I know I left off mPlayer (that's what "other" is for) while leaving some odd choices that the original thread creator favored, but mostly I was trying to fix the poll by adding the absolutely essential poll choices that marka seemed unaware of. Considering that the two choices I added are currently the first and second favorite players, it seems to have been a good idea.

Of course one big reason that MPC and ZoomPlayer are so favored is because of their inclusion in CCCP. Otherwise more people would use flashier and better hyped, but less reliable players.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-03-19, 17:09   Link #20
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Yeah, I'm seeing too many votes for MPC, ZP and WMP--I'm guessing it's because they come packaged either with CCCP or Win XP >.>

PS: Isn't Zoom Player 2 times in the poll? Or is zPlayer another different player?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.