AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-05-08, 17:08   Link #521
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Log View Post
Kirito and Asuna was meh. Not really the best romance out there and it felt to sappy or forced sometimes. Asuna also didn't have the most interesting personality and I personally liked Shinon more. I would recommend for anime Clannad if you want good romance and Gekkou for light novel if you want interesting romance.
Oh, whoops, I totally missed this.

I'm not going to dispute your opinion, as you're completely entitled to think what you will of them.

Actually, I wasn't asking for recommendations; I was just validating something. Nonetheless, your recommendations are appreciated. I'm extremely picky when it comes to romance (Clannad is a big no-no for me), but I'll make sure to give Gekkou a read, as the art is lovely.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-08, 17:30   Link #522
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Black out scene T^T why?!?! Gekkou is very good btw. A must see for mystery fans
Fallen3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 02:05   Link #523
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen3dge View Post
Black out scene T^T why?!?! Gekkou is very good btw. A must see for mystery fans
Even though Clannad has a terrible character design to you (Aphrah), it's one of the better harem romances (the TomoyaxNagisa couple has a major role in After Story) and really stands out most normal romances here. Not to mention that love triangles are not considered harems, but still romances.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList

Last edited by MisaoFan; 2012-05-09 at 02:49.
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 11:52   Link #524
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
Even though Clannad has a terrible character design to you (Aphrah), it's one of the better harem romances (the TomoyaxNagisa couple has a major role in After Story) and really stands out most normal romances here. Not to mention that love triangles are not considered harems, but still romances.
Sent you a reply in the form of a VM so as to keep the off-topicness here to a minimum.

Yep, love triangles (or even polygons) are definitely not harems. They can make for some enjoyable romance drama. Wrt. to the harem genre, some people just like to throw around genre labels without fully understanding the meaning they hold.
Old 2012-05-09, 13:10   Link #525
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
Sent you a reply in the form of a VM so as to keep the off-topicness here to a minimum.

Yep, love triangles (or even polygons) are definitely not harems. They can make for some enjoyable romance drama. Wrt. to the harem genre, some people just like to throw around genre labels without fully understanding the meaning they hold.
A harem is destoryed once the MC decides on a single route.
Love triangle as long as the MC isnt set with 1 person can be a harem as well as polygons.

Once the MC rejects the other girls, then the harem is destroyed.

Kirito hasnt rejected anyone.
They just gave up on kirito because of Asuna.

I still say Sachi probably would of had a chance with kirito had she not died.
Its only that Sachi died, Asuna had a chance.

Kirito never showed interest in Asuna until waaaaaaaay later up on the floors.
Infact they only had 2 weeks of marriage, and possibly 1 more week before that, where they knew each other's feelings.
aigomorla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-09, 16:37   Link #526
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aigomorla View Post
A harem is destoryed once the MC decides on a single route.
Love triangle as long as the MC isnt set with 1 person can be a harem as well as polygons.

Once the MC rejects the other girls, then the harem is destroyed.

Kirito hasnt rejected anyone.
They just gave up on kirito because of Asuna.

I still say Sachi probably would of had a chance with kirito had she not died.
Its only that Sachi died, Asuna had a chance.

Kirito never showed interest in Asuna until waaaaaaaay later up on the floors.
Infact they only had 2 weeks of marriage, and possibly 1 more week before that, where they knew each other's feelings.
That's if the MC decides on a single route.

There are no exact numbers given as to what constitutes a harem, since the origin of the word in Arabic means forbidden, i.e. the woman's/women's quarters was/were forbidden to all but the king. Therefore, in theory, one woman could constitute a harem. But technically, that'd be incorrect as a harem implies that there's a group of women; meaning, it implies that there're more than one (2 and above). So yes, a love triangle and a love polygon can both be considered a harem, the latter being more of one than the former. Even so, I refuse to call either of them a harem as both of those are romantic relationships that are used to show the complexity of love. Harems, on the other hand, are used to when either a) the MC doesn't realise that he has gathered a group of girls that have feelings for him or b) the MC wants a group of lovers.

Indeed he hasn't, but the result is the same if he would. Or well, similar enough.

Mhm, yeah. Speaking of, Sachi's death in the anime is going to be little depressing..

Yeah, but the structure of the opening volume makes it feel like it happened fairly early on. But ah, I guess that's where the 'SS's come in.
Old 2012-05-09, 17:07   Link #527
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
yeah however i dont think argo would do that.

Remember argo didnt give away kirito's identity as a beater.
She only gave his identity away as a seller.
Kirito even said if it came down to it, argo would give up cash then give up that information.

Also that "favor" kirito asks of argo is something u ask a friend.
"the 100,000 dollar question on the whiskers"

Not a real information broker.
Yeah the reason for that is because:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT
For «Argo the Rat» who sells anything that could be sold, there was only one type of information not in her merchandise. That was, who was originally a beta tester. Argo and I were sure that we were both beta testers, but we will never bring up this topic in conversation, no matter how many light years we had to travel.
The reason was simple. When a beta tester's identity was discovered, their life could be at stake.
So Kirito was by no means special as a result of that.

And you can't state that as a fact. Perhaps Kirito was just curious. I would be too. But in case you missed it earlier, I already agreed that since Argo is on Kirito's friend list, Kirito considers her a friend. Look, I'm arguing that the emotional bonds Kirito has with Asuna, Egil, and company is stronger than the ones he has with Argo because unlike the rest of them, Argo doesn't actually go to fight. The sense of camaraderie just isn't there. It isn't about whether or not Argo is his friend anymore. It's about the degree of the friendship.
Old 2012-05-09, 17:40   Link #528
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Look, I'm arguing that the emotional bonds Kirito has with Asuna, Egil, and company is stronger than the ones he has with Argo because unlike the rest of them, Argo doesn't actually go to fight. The sense of camaraderie just isn't there. It isn't about whether or not Argo is his friend anymore. It's about the degree of the friendship.
im not denying that.

Infact Cline was the first person he was going to call when he felt wierd, instead accidently hit Asuna and started poking a ton of love flags on her in the process.
Old 2012-05-09, 19:27   Link #529
Fallen3dge
Darkest Light

Cline is his "best friend" in the game. So yeah. Asuna turned out to be a lover in the end.
Fallen3dge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 05:37   Link #530
hellscythe
black raison d'etre

Well.. this discussion/ forum brings a lot of question mark in my head.. i'm a newbie so uhm.. i will really appreciate it if you can answer some of my question since I just started reading SAO for a month or so...

question:
>does anyone know why Kirito will have an amnesia?
>does Asuna have a big role in the Alicization arc or she will just be a side character here?
>does another hero/comrade will appear here?
>why does Kirito's childhood appear in this arc?..

i really thank anyone who can answer my questions
hellscythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 05:48   Link #531
CNine
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellscythe View Post
Well.. this discussion/ forum brings a lot of question mark in my head.. i'm a newbie so uhm.. i will really appreciate it if you can answer some of my question since I just started reading SAO for a month or so...

question:
>does anyone know why Kirito will have an amnesia?
>does Asuna have a big role in the Alicization arc or she will just be a side character here?
>does another hero/comrade will appear here?
>why does Kirito's childhood appear in this arc?..

i really thank anyone who can answer my questions
-coz he participate in ALICIZATION project, that has goal to create independent AI like Yui. coz the time flow in UW[ALICIZATION world] is faster than in RL, Kirito memory in game is wiped for his mental safety.

-Asuna become Kazuto replacement in RL to locating Kazuto kidnapper after his "death", and join the game later.

-Yujio[Kirito and Alice childhood friend in game]

-coz of time acceleration, Kazuto character grown up in game from the time he born
CNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 05:51   Link #532
hellscythe
black raison d'etre

[QUOTE=CNine;4155180]--Yujio[Kirito and Alice childhood friend in game]

> who is Alice???
thanks for the reply..
hellscythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 06:09   Link #533
CNine
Inactive Member

Kirito and Yujio Childhood friend[and maybe the AI]
CNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-11, 06:16   Link #534
hellscythe
black raison d'etre

thank you for answering my questions.....
Old 2012-05-11, 16:50   Link #535
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
im not denying that.

Infact Cline was the first person he was going to call when he felt wierd, instead accidently hit Asuna and started poking a ton of love flags on her in the process.
So do you understand my reasoning for why Argo doesn't join them in real life now?
Old 2012-05-14, 16:17   Link #536
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
So do you understand my reasoning for why Argo doesn't join them in real life now?
no because someone as simple as Scillia was able to keep the friend contact.

And id say on the level of "friends" Argo > Scillia.

:\

I am seriously thinking near the end, Argo was probably killed.
Because Argo was seriously never mentioned again.
At the very least, id say she quit the MMO world and never took a step in again.
Old 2012-05-14, 18:12   Link #537
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Look, I'm arguing that the emotional bonds Kirito has with Asuna, Egil, and company is stronger than the ones he has with Argo because unlike the rest of them, Argo doesn't actually go to fight. The sense of camaraderie just isn't there. It isn't about whether or not Argo is his friend anymore. It's about the degree of the friendship.
Quote:
im not denying that.
Quote:
no because someone as simple as Scillia was able to keep the friend contact.

And id say on the level of "friends" Argo > Scillia.

:\

I am seriously thinking near the end, Argo was probably killed.
Because Argo was seriously never mentioned again.
At the very least, id say she quit the MMO world and never took a step in again.
FYI, "company" included Scillia. It's much easier for Kirito to become friends with Scillia though. He empathized with her when her dragon died because just like Sachi died because he was being careless, selfish (from his POV), and didn't tell them his level, so too is Scillia responsible for the death of her dragon due to her own pride. And that was the basis of a close friendship. He maintains contact with her via friend messaging, while Argo, on the other hand, even if he does regularly friend message her, would probably mostly be for business, as we've seen for a lot of the interaction between the two.

But if you want to argue for that, please provide some support.

Plus, Scillia is needed for Kirito's harem

I'd say that's unlikely because she never actually fought on the front lines. She might have assisted by collecting information and spreading it, but AFAIK, she doesn't fight. She sells information. Sure, she might've gotten killed by criminals, but logic dictates than an information dealer would be shrewd enough to know when the other party is about to harm them. Especially when your nickname is "the Rat".

As for your second point, I think that's much more likely. I wonder if she's even a gamer or if she just bought SAO to see what the whole VR deal is about. Information dealer doesn't seem like the job for someone who is actually interested in RPGs...
Old 2012-05-15, 04:26   Link #538
sky black swordman

Quote:
FYI, "company" included Scillia. It's much easier for Kirito to become friends with Scillia though. He empathized with her when her dragon died because just like Sachi died because he was being careless, selfish (from his POV), and didn't tell them his level, so too is Scillia responsible for the death of her dragon due to her own pride. And that was the basis of a close friendship. He maintains contact with her via friend messaging, while Argo, on the other hand, even if he does regularly friend message her, would probably mostly be for business, as we've seen for a lot of the interaction between the two.

But if you want to argue for that, please provide some support.

Plus, Scillia is needed for Kirito's harem

I'd say that's unlikely because she never actually fought on the front lines. She might have assisted by collecting information and spreading it, but AFAIK, she doesn't fight. She sells information. Sure, she might've gotten killed by criminals, but logic dictates than an information dealer would be shrewd enough to know when the other party is about to harm them. Especially when your nickname is "the Rat".

As for your second point, I think that's much more likely. I wonder if she's even a gamer or if she just bought SAO to see what the whole VR deal is about. Information dealer doesn't seem like the job for someone who is actually interested in RPGs...
Didnt he also say she remained of his sister.

And wasnt Argo a bata tester too?
Old 2012-05-15, 22:34   Link #539
aigomorla
100% Tsun... 0% Dere

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
Didnt he also say she remained of his sister.

And wasnt Argo a bata tester too?
yes he did say she reminded him of his little sister, who is actually his cousin.

And argo was a beta tester. Thats how he learned she was an informant.

Does the author ever intend to do an arc flash backing the war against the player killers which happened in SAO?

i realized that entire series isnt mentioned very much in vol.5
All we know is Cline + Kirito were involved in the capture / slaughter of that evil guild.
Old 2012-05-15, 23:32   Link #540
sky black swordman

Quote:
yes he did say she reminded him of his little sister, who is actually And argo was a beta tester. Thats how he learned she was an informant.

Does the author ever intend to do an arc flash backing the war against the player killers which happened in SAO?

i realized that entire series isnt mentioned very much in vol.5
All we know is Cline + Kirito were involved in the capture / slaughter of that evil guild.
Yeah I know about the sister is really his cousin.

I dont think it was a war but it was more of a raid turned trap and then it become a battle field. Never really a war.
Yeah I think he should do one I mean we also know that there was a traitor in the group that performed the raid. They knew about the raid and layed traps for the them. Someone in the raid group told the laughing coffin guild their plans.

Who was this traitor and why did he do it.

I know kirito was involved in the capture / slaughter of that evil guild but was Cline was involved.

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality