AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Accel World

Notices

Old 2011-12-30, 13:31   Link #161
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
The look and chubbiness is the same, but the height was different. The illustration in novel usually has him at Kuroyuki's shoulder length and so far the anime seems to have him at chest length, maybe even shorter.

Oh, well it's not the first time anime adaption of characters ends up with whacked up height. Kuroneko is the same height as Manami and only 5cm shorter than Kirino but in a lot of scenes she was drawn noticeably shorter than them. It more of a cherry-picking than anything else.

The only thing I worried is that by having Haruaki that short, how is it going to impact his pimping scenes.....
Is this the sort of small change (no pun intended) that could leave LN fans really butthurt and lead to boycotts? Just curious as I'd like to know where the cut off point is for when fanboys start to get really pissed off about changes from the source.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 18:41   Link #162
Undertaker

For me it's more nitpick then anything. As long as they don't destroy/condense too much I won't won't really hold them accountable, after different media has sort of takes.

Take Oreimo for example, as much as I hated that the anime stuff pretty much killed Kirino's dere and sensible side or that Ayase is stripped to a simple yandere. I still find Oreimo anime to be enjoyable and definitely one of the best of the season if not the year and that is even with the debacle that was episode 6-7 (I think, the ones based on v3 material).
Old 2011-12-31, 11:00   Link #163
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

So is he in his chubby form a lot in the manga? Female MC design is a plus. Male MC in chubby form is a minus for me watching it.
Old 2011-12-31, 13:24   Link #164
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
So is he in his chubby form a lot in the manga? Female MC design is a plus. Male MC in chubby form is a minus for me watching it.
In other words no fatties, but skinny scantily clad chicks are okay?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-31, 17:30   Link #165
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Don't get me wrong, Haruyuki is fat and full of meat, the complain here is not the width but the length.
Old 2012-01-01, 16:10   Link #166
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
In other words no fatties, but skinny scantily clad chicks are okay?
I'm for cute (attractive) scantily clad guys, muscular guys, thin guys.... but not guys that look like a meatball as a MC.

If he's in that armored form the majority of the time, then that's okay too.
Old 2012-01-01, 17:03   Link #167
hyl
reading #hikaributts

I think the main point of his character is the contrast of what he is in real life and his silver crow avatar.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 17:26   Link #168
com_gwp

Sigh, it's disappointing to know that there will be many others who would give the show a miss just because of the MC's design.

Admittingly, I was equally apprehensive at first when I started on the manga and novels, but the story and the MC really grew on me. Hope more people can look past the design because Accel World really is a pretty fun series.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 17:30   Link #169
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I will take an ugly MC over a stupid one any day.
So fed up with clueless MCs doing nothing...
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-02, 10:31   Link #170
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
I think the main point of his character is the contrast of what he is in real life and his silver crow avatar.
well his fat and obviously getting bullied. Being stereotype fat which is the centered of bullying in the school and probably the black haired girl or kuroyukihime gives him a chance to change or reveal his real self. His real self is probably a dumb fat useless bum but his inside is a hard steeled knight. The avatar in accel world reflects yourself (probably)
Old 2012-01-02, 12:23   Link #171
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Sigh, it's disappointing to know that there will be many others who would give the show a miss just because of the MC's design.

Admittingly, I was equally apprehensive at first when I started on the manga and novels, but the story and the MC really grew on me. Hope more people can look past the design because Accel World really is a pretty fun series.
Well, this is a visual medium. How many threads have you noticed people commenting on female MC designs? Male MCs are not exempted from similar scrutiny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
well his fat and obviously getting bullied. Being stereotype fat which is the centered of bullying in the school and probably the black haired girl or kuroyukihime gives him a chance to change or reveal his real self. His real self is probably a dumb fat useless bum but his inside is a hard steeled knight. The avatar in accel world reflects yourself (probably)

Or what he wishes he was. It's all a fantasy thing anyways in MMORPGs.
Old 2012-01-04, 06:03   Link #172
Nihokon

Chubby protagonist calls my attention.
Old 2012-01-04, 23:08   Link #173
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukahana View Post
Chubby protagonist calls my attention.
and the "power suit" avatar of his interest me as well
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-06, 10:16   Link #174
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

It's pretty funny to me that the main reason that so many people are being turned off from this show is because of the fact that the MC is fat/chubby. Half of the people complaining about it are probably fat themselves...
Old 2012-01-06, 10:48   Link #175
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
It's pretty funny to me that the main reason that so many people are being turned off from this show is because of the fact that the MC is fat/chubby. Half of the people complaining about it are probably fat themselves...
stereotype otaku. singles in front of their pc

is it hurtful or bothering to see someone look's like yourself to take actions?
Old 2012-01-06, 11:15   Link #176
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Lol, exactly

Quote:
It can be depending on the person and what they look like. Some people look to anime as a means of escape, and if the MC shares their own flaws, then that ruins the immersion. That's probably not the case here, though. Most people probably don't like Haruyuki because they genuinely find his design "ugly" to their tastes. That or they fit in with the majority of society that believes that "anything fat is automatically undesirable" (aka closed-minded).
Old 2012-01-06, 12:16   Link #177
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
very interested in seeing this i just hope its not bastardized
Old 2012-01-06, 20:56   Link #178
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Quote:

Not me, I'm big and fat and I love that us big-boned guys finally got some love in light novel and anime.

Which is surprising to me because Japanese women in general really don't have too much issues with fat guys (as long as you're not creepy) considering that many fat sumo wrestlers have hot wives and many fat comedians also have hot wives or known to be playboys as well.

Seriously though, Haruyuki is the reason I started to read this LN because he is chubby and fat. I mean for all ACG keep trying to portray about how a main character is gentle, nice, despite been plain, 9 out of 10 has always being above average in their respective world. Hauyuki was a nice exception.

After reading the LN, Haruyuki did grow on me as well as the awesome Kuroyuki-Hime who won me over.
Old 2012-01-06, 21:59   Link #179
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
It's pretty funny to me that the main reason that so many people are being turned off from this show is because of the fact that the MC is fat/chubby.
There's another reason: Haruyuki is as angsty as Shu from Guilty Crown. To add, Accel World and Guilty Crown share the same person-in-charge on series composition: Hiroyuki Yoshino.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 03:58   Link #180
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Not me, I'm big and fat and I love that us big-boned guys finally got some love in light novel and anime.
You're different because you actually LIKE Haruyuki. I was talking about the people who don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
There's another reason: Haruyuki is as angsty as Shu from Guilty Crown. To add, Accel World and Guilty Crown share the same person-in-charge on series composition: Hiroyuki Yoshino.
We were talking about Yoshino a little earlier in this thread and yes, I understand some people have a GREAT distaste for him. But, as I said earlier, that is a stupid reason for people to not give the series a chance at least. (In fact, the MAJORITY of projects he's been a part of are generally accepted as good. It would've been much easier to get someone a lot worse for series comp. than to get someone much better.)

Also, it actually makes sense for the MC to be angsty here. He's fat and gets bullied (two pretty common reasons for people to harbor angst). Shu is just a whiny, overly-indecisive brat.

Tags
action, cyberpunk, harem, sci-fi, shounen