AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 39 21.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 16.85%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 46 25.84%
7 out of 10 : Good 35 19.66%
6 out of 10 : Average 17 9.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 3 1.69%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 3.37%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-19, 15:38   Link #381
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Or they are saving budget (time) so they can animate more intense scenes, or more critical scenes in time for the episode to air. There are scenes in this arc that will require Kanon/CLANNAD or better quality to pull off...or at least to match the 2006 version of the same scenes...without the camera effects.
Old 2009-08-19, 15:46   Link #382
typhonsentra

I'm honestly drawing a blank here, but it's been years since I've read this book from beginning to end.

Spoiler:
Old 2009-08-19, 15:53   Link #383
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thanks for the info.

I think I see the problem then. Sheer decadence/hubris. KyoAni is so hugely successful vis a vis other animation studios that they feel like they can just take it easy, and the money will keep flowing in. Of course, they may very well be right...
Despite all the bitterness from E8, I'm still not sold to the hatedom, so I have some doubt.
I'm pretty sure that people who bother to not use stock footage for episodes that are basically the same, have some (probably even excessive) artistic pride, and aren't the most likely victims of decadence.

I tend to think that they are rather preserving their budget for something next (I'm among the ones who think there will be a "true" second season after this "re-airing").

Last edited by Akka; 2009-08-19 at 16:13. Reason: Corrected wording of sentences.
Old 2009-08-19, 15:58   Link #384
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
Despite all the bitterness from E8, I'm still not sold to the hatedom, so I have some doubt.
I don't think that people who bother to not use stock footage for episodes that are basically the same, have some (probably even excessive) artistic pride, and aren't the most likely victims of decadence.

I tend to think that they are rather preserving their budget for something next (I'm among the ones who think there will be a "true" second season after this "re-airing").
I hope that you're right. I guess it won't be long before we find out if you are or not.
Old 2009-08-19, 16:05   Link #385
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

Quote:
I don't think that people who bother to not use stock footage for episodes that are basically the same, have some (probably even excessive) artistic pride, and aren't the most likely victims of decadence.

I also think that the real second season will come soon, because no other show by Kyoto Animation was announced until now as far as know and they could have never thought that Endless Eight will be a hit or that animations with less quality in comparison to 2006 would be sufficient.
Old 2009-08-19, 16:56   Link #386
Airman8
Helvetica Standard

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that people who bother to not use stock footage for episodes that are basically the same, have some (probably even excessive) artistic pride, and aren't the most likely victims of decadence.

I think this makes sense. I'm by no means an expert on the anime industry, but since the show is now back after a 3 year gap (that's long for any show in any genre) they probably need to test the waters again to see where the fans are at. I know the show has a devoted following, but things can become popular for a while and then fade, especially in a market like this.

I think the E8 controversy has helped the series (everyone was talking about Haruhi. The attention whoring paid off), and this summer has been a good interlude. They will absolutely have to increase their budget for Disappearance. In my opinion it's the strongest story in the series, with the most memorable scenes not being action filled, but rather very expressive with the depth of the characters and emotional significance. In other words, the characters have to blink regularly.

I hope the fans in Japan demonstrate to KyoAni how much Haruhi is anticipated and how much quality it requires from the studio. I want Tanigawa to be able to finish this series to its best potential.
Old 2009-08-19, 18:09   Link #387
tclapin

Kyon was looking at Yuki's book. She is not reading one of her usual science fiction books. She is reading "Jung and Astrology" by Maggie Hyde.

http://www.7andy.jp/books/detail/-/accd/30505208

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakonboard View Post
Regarding tea spilling, I think the simple explanation is that it's just Haruhi's jealously.

Kyon looked at Mikuru and then at Yuki, so Haruhi just wanted to punish him & brought him some attention (in her own way)

And IMHO she was not that serious, cause she even hold the tray firmly so that Kyon could pick the cup up easily.

For Hirano Aya as Haruhi, she already played as Haruhi in TVCM for 2006 version.
Old 2009-08-19, 21:58   Link #388
freakonboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclapin View Post
Kyon was looking at Yuki's book. She is not reading one of her usual science fiction books. She is reading "Jung and Astrology" by Maggie Hyde.

http://www.7andy.jp/books/detail/-/accd/30505208
Thanks for the heads up.
But what I meant is in Haruhi's POV.

Old 2009-08-20, 00:13   Link #389
ijuinkun

Ok, I don't know if any of you have noticed this, but take a look at the writing on the headbands that everybody in the SOS-dan are wearing at the sports meet. Each one is a joke about the character wearing it.

Haruhi: ko-haru-hi-yori ("Fair Spring Weather"--notice that the second and third kanji make up "Haruhi")

Koizumi: read as ko-i-zu-mi, though the meaning of the characters is different from the ones that his name are written with.

Nagato: oku-man chouja ("one who has 100,000,000 times 10,000"--in other words, a trillionaire--reckoned in yen, a trillion yen is about US$8-11 billion these days) Notice that the third kanji is the same "naga" as in "Nagato".

Mikuru: Zen-jin Mirai--"Predecessor from the future"--note that the kanji "rai" in "Mirai" (future) can be read "kuru", so "Mirai" can be read "Mikuru"--yes, this makes Mikuru's name a pun for "future".

Kyon: Seigi Ippatsu--"Justice by a hair's breadth" (i.e. the good guys win by the skin of their teeth)--this is the only one that is not a reference to the character's name, but then again we don't actually know Kyon's full name. However, the idea of winning by a hair's breadth fits in with Haruhi's desire to win while still feeling challenged, and Kyon's feeling that they cut it way too close much of the time.
Old 2009-08-20, 02:04   Link #390
zzeroparticle
NEET

Send a message via AIM to zzeroparticle
Well, there's not really much to say about this episode aside from the sense I'm getting that it just doesn't have quite the same amount of energy that I'd expect out of a Haruhi episode. I really do hope that it builds up to something better though, and by better, I mean get it so that I can feel a rush of excitement since this one just feels more humdrum. Even the first episode of Endless 8 had more energy than this and that was mostly a slice of life moment more than anything else.
Old 2009-08-20, 02:59   Link #391
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Ok, I don't know if any of you have noticed this, but take a look at the writing on the headbands that everybody in the SOS-dan are wearing at the sports meet. Each one is a joke about the character wearing it.

Haruhi: ko-haru-hi-yori ("Fair Spring Weather"--notice that the second and third kanji make up "Haruhi")

Koizumi: read as ko-i-zu-mi, though the meaning of the characters is different from the ones that his name are written with.

Nagato: oku-man chouja ("one who has 100,000,000 times 10,000"--in other words, a trillionaire--reckoned in yen, a trillion yen is about US$8-11 billion these days) Notice that the third kanji is the same "naga" as in "Nagato".

Mikuru: Zen-jin Mirai--"Predecessor from the future"--note that the kanji "rai" in "Mirai" (future) can be read "kuru", so "Mirai" can be read "Mikuru"--yes, this makes Mikuru's name a pun for "future".

Kyon: Seigi Ippatsu--"Justice by a hair's breadth" (i.e. the good guys win by the skin of their teeth)--this is the only one that is not a reference to the character's name, but then again we don't actually know Kyon's full name. However, the idea of winning by a hair's breadth fits in with Haruhi's desire to win while still feeling challenged, and Kyon's feeling that they cut it way too close much of the time.
See, this is what happens when you have the novel author writing the script; he just can't help himself in adding little details. The point about Mikuru's name is interesting; it is entirely possible "Mikuru" is an alias to begin with, so it makes sense that it can imply a time traveler.
Old 2009-08-20, 09:34   Link #392
sarahwest

Quote:

<--This is by far the most accurate/possible explanation I've read so far, though i dont know if i got the explanation of Kyon's headband right.

""Justice by a hair's breadth" (i.e. the good guys win by the skin of their teeth)" = simply put as a close win? (that race wasnt really so close )
Old 2009-08-20, 09:44   Link #393
OkamiNoKaze

I think it's a reference to how they (usually Kyon) save the day at the last moment.
Old 2009-08-20, 09:59   Link #394
A. Esbee
Suffused with Sound

I think it's more specifically Haruhi's opinion of Kyon. Like in "Day of Sagittarius" or "The Boredom"--she expects them to win, but most importantly she expects Kyon to be the one to do it, which he often does just barely.

If you're looking for fic ...
LJ FFN
Old 2009-08-20, 10:49   Link #395
Aqua Knight

I didn't like the episode, E8 was so much better. This seemed really boring.
Old 2009-08-21, 00:38   Link #396
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Yea, I watched the episode and well I thought... well I didn't have any reaction whatsoever. It's not horrible, but it's kinda just there. The only thing that was funny was Haruhi asking about dynamite and wanting to blow up buildings and Yuki, since she's pretty much the one holding up the show.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-08-21, 00:52   Link #397
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

While the "hatedom" is as prevalent as ever, the conscious effort to remain positive for this new season by fans to counter the negative is just as prevalent. Both side of the argument seems to overlook the fact that there are 4 entirely new 20 minutes length episode including the E8 saga. If I may inject some cynicism in the mix of things, the formula for the storytelling is no different than the first season, and yet the inconsistency in animation effort is admant in every episode. The argument can be made that it wasn't the case for couple of versions of E8. But, then again, with the same repeats of episodes with some very subtle changes and/or addition to minute detail, the animators had plenty of times to add some finishing touches to those re-re-re-re-run of E8 episodes with the final product at hand. If we recall, the first version of E8 was anything but impressive animation wise.

My point is it's moot whether or not there is a new season after this supposed re-airing when we are getting new content at the moment. The difference here is that it is lacking in quite a few area of the overall animation effort if compared to the previous season. And hence, it sounds like an excuse when it is implied the studio might be saving their effort for better things to come.

Perhaps there are other reasons behind why the animation effort is lacking in these new content. Practical, calculated, economically sound reasons. Then again, some of the Haruhi-fans (i.e. relentless ) have already touched on the subject from a slightly different perspective, but the implications are there.
Old 2009-08-22, 03:57   Link #398
thirdlc

Quote:
True except that it's koharubiyori.

Quote:
You can't read 古今東西(kokontouzai) as ko-i-zu-mi. Otherwise, can you explain the pretty impossible way to read please?

Quote:
True.

Quote:
It's zenjinmitou, "without precedent" as a.f.k. translated. I don't have a problem with the point that it's the pun for future, but the kanji supposed to be in her name is "mi".

This is nothing more than my guess, but when Japanese readers learn Mikuru is a time traveler from the future, I believe they would notice it's a pun soon. To be continued in Spoilers & Speculation thread because it is beyond the scope of this thread.

Quote:
It's kikiippatsu, "nick of time" as a.f.k. translated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
I've been noticing Kunikida and Taniguchi didn't blink at all throughout their scene.

Kyoani is really slipping.
I was bothered rather by their voices. I think it's sort of a voice direction error. If they sounded as still and down as they looked, you wouldn't have minded it.
Old 2009-08-22, 07:27   Link #399
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdlc View Post
True except that it's koharubiyori.
Yes I am quite familiar with the rendaku phenomenon. However, the joke requires less explanation if we ignore the sound changes brought on by making it a compound word.

Quote:
It's zenjinmitou, "without precedent" as a.f.k. translated. I don't have a problem with the point that it's the pun for future, but the kanji supposed to be in her name is "mi".

It's kikiippatsu, "nick of time" as a.f.k. translated.
My apologies on these two--we don't get a very good view of the fourth kanji on Mikuru's headband or the first on Kyon's, so I extrapolated.
Old 2009-08-22, 08:40   Link #400
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
... Amusingly, the middle two kanji on Kyon's headband could be used for the name "Kiichi" (Ki-Ichi). Change the second kanji from one to four and you'd have "Ki Yon"... or, to simplify things, "Kyon."

Of course, that "logic" kinda flies out the window when you realize you can't really spell "Kyon" that way.

*e* For the record... no, this wasn't intended to be a serious guess as to what Kyon's real name is.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...

Last edited by Kogetsu Shirogane; 2009-08-22 at 08:57.
Closed Thread