AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-19, 01:21   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 643 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Y'all know the drill by now. Credit to T and aohige as always:

-Chapter title is "Phantom". The ministory focuses on the Saruyama alliance from the Jaya arc, who are on an illusion island in search of a dream land called "Nakurowa" (note that this isn't an accurate translation, since aohige wasn't sure which language the name of the land was borrowed from).

-At the plaza, the royal army is fighting against the enemy pirates. Meanwhile, Robin frees the enslaved human pirates. They ask her why she rescued them, and she answers that she did it as a favor for Jinbei (who she refers to as a lady killer, heh). Hammond then appears and attacks Robin, but it only turned out that what he caught was a bunshin she made with her new move...... Cuerpo Fleur! Her real self then finishes off the fish-pirate with her clutch. The liberated pirates then join in on the fight against Hody's army......

-We then shift to Brooke vs. Zeo. The skeleton explains that during the past two years, he learned how to fully control his yomi yomi DF power. Basically, while his soul is what keeps him tethered to the mortal plane, he can possess other objects to give him an edge in combat, as he proves by possessing his own sword. His blade then becomes as cold as the icy winds of hell. Meanwhile, we take a glimpse at Usopp vs. Daruma, where the sniper is busy laying traps for his opponent while avoiding his attacks.

-The national guards announce to the island via den-den mushi that Noah is falling towards the island again. However, the signal then gets crossed with Luffy's conversation with Fukaboshi. The prince explains that Hody's true nature is that of a monster that was created by the very environment he grew up in. He and his crew fear that their races' hatred towards humanity will fizzle out in due time, so they decided to take action as quickly as possible. They are naught but hollow hoodlums who never truly experienced persecution from humans themselves, which makes them all the more dangerous. We then flash back to Fuka's conversation with Jones a couple chapters back, where he asks him why he hates humanity. Jones simply answers that they did nothing to him. However, he believes that the heavens have given his race the strength to pass judgement upon the wretched humans........

....Wow. Now this is definitely a step up from last week's chapter, if I do say so myself. I'm really loving this new twist with Brooke's soul powers. I can't wait to see how many other ways he can power up his sword with it. Robin's reveal was pretty much as expected (and it was pretty much spoiled by that color page a while back anyhow), and I'm really looking forward to seeing what traps Usopp has in store for Daruma. Yep, looks like the weaker 'Hats are having more interesting fights, indeed (though I'm a little sad that Hammond lost so quickly again..... not that it was surprising, though).

And so Hody's big secret..... wasn't really a secret after all. It was just further confirmation that he's a huge asshole who was horribly misguided. Still, while I can already foresee some people complaining that Oda was trolling us with "false tension" or whatever, I welcome the fact that we have a villain who doesn't have some deep, complicated backstory that serves as his motivation for revenge. Besides, such people like Hody even exist in real life, as sad as it may be. In fact, we sorta already had a villain like that with Eneru, so I really see no reason to complain about this "twist".

Oh, and for the ministory: Sounds very interesting. So Cricket isn't interested in just sky islands, eh? I hope we find out the proper translation of that dream land's name soon.....
Old 2011-10-19, 01:33   Link #2
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

Robin. dang it! so it's really a clone eh???

i took this form another site. if it's ok...here:

Quote:
Interesting, according to this spoiler, Zoro’s battle with Hyozo continues and Hyozo uses poison.
Sanji appears fighting Wadatsumi and kicks him.
Robin is freeing the pirates.
Fukaboshi talks about Hody’s past and how he’s a descendant of Davy Jones, and that he has inherited both hatred for humans and Fishmen.
Something about Noah hitting Wadatsumi, Decken waking up and throwing the ship at Hody (which doesn’t make much sense).
Luffy also seems to use a new attack.
so, i guess, speculation's right?

Last edited by BaKaBaKaOtaKu; 2011-10-19 at 03:57.
Old 2011-10-19, 04:52   Link #3
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
And so Hody's big secret..... wasn't really a secret after all. It was just further confirmation that he's a huge asshole who was horribly misguided. Still, while I can already foresee some people complaining that Oda was trolling us with "false tension" or whatever, I welcome the fact that we have a villain who doesn't have some deep, complicated backstory that serves as his motivation for revenge. Besides, such people like Hody even exist in real life, as sad as it may be. In fact, we sorta already had a villain like that with Eneru, so I really see no reason to complain about this "twist".
hmmm...was hoping for some big revelation but now that you mentioned it, i think a villain who simply likes to rouse chaos is not so bad after all. only this villain is not so formidable. if only he's a little more than just some small fry trying to act big.
Old 2011-10-19, 08:15   Link #4
kakakka

Chapter out

Hodi's doing it for the sake of doing it.
Old 2011-10-19, 08:18   Link #5
Simonsy

Hmm so Hody is essentially just like a skin head or some kind of racist.
Old 2011-10-19, 08:21   Link #6
Homura7

Woah, that was incredible. It feels so good to know Hody has no reasons for everything he's doing... He's a full fledged monster, and I like it.
Old 2011-10-19, 08:32   Link #7
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Not surprised about Hodi, to be honest. I wasn't expecting any elaborate back story as to why he hates humans so much. It's also refreshing to see a villain who isn't sympathetic; Hodi is simply a major douchebag.

And indeed, marvelB, this chapter is a step up from last week's. Robin took out Hammond with ease, so I treat that as defeat being imminent soon enough for the other NFP.

The real highlight for me is Brooke mastering his DF over the past 2 years. It's simply awesome how he can use his soul possession into inanimate objects like his sword to augment his fighting abilities. Knowing that, the creativity potential for the Yomi Yomi DF is very high. Really looking forward to seeing how he'll put the ability to use in the future.
Old 2011-10-19, 08:49   Link #8
Homura7

We got the fire and now the ice. The crew has control over two opposite elements.

So Usopp can now wield a 10 ton hammer?
Old 2011-10-19, 08:55   Link #9
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
So Usopp can now wield a 10 ton hammer?
The guy looks like he's been pumping some iron during the past 2 years, so maybe this time he won't be BSing when he says he's wielding a 10 ton hammer .

-----

We all know that Sanji and Jimbei double teaming against Wadatsumi is overkill for the gargantuan, but I'm eager to see how they're going to take down such a beast because he's so freakin' huge.
Old 2011-10-19, 09:36   Link #10
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Cool chapter. Brook's fight is definitely my favorite so far. Zeo's a riot

Brook's new abilities are pretty cool, and open up a lot of possibilities.
Old 2011-10-19, 09:48   Link #11
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The guy looks like he's been pumping some iron during the past 2 years, so maybe this time he won't be BSing when he says he's wielding a 10 ton hammer .
well he had to, he had to lose all that excess weight after all.
Old 2011-10-19, 10:15   Link #12
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Cool chapter. Brook's fight is definitely my favorite so far. Zeo's a riot

Brook's new abilities are pretty cool, and open up a lot of possibilities.
Yea Brook's fight was the best and indeed Zeo is a riot

I like how theres no real motive behind Hody's actions, don't always have to have a enemy that has motive or real reason other than just wanting to do it.
This basically means Hody has got nothing to lose and that can make him dangerous but I guess thats if we get to see it happen.

Oh and how do I put this.... Robin can "double team" me any day, any time

....I'm pretty sure we'll see dj for that someday
Old 2011-10-19, 10:36   Link #13
marvelB

Damn, Brooke and Usopp really shined this chapter. I loved seeing how much more confident they became after the skip. And of course, Zeo is as awesome as ever. BTW, I wonder how Daruma is able to use a fire-based attack? Is he hiding some weapons on himself or something (especially since I'm hesitant to consider the possibility of him being a Haki user).....?

So lessee, now that we got Cricket and the monkey guys in this week's ministory, I guess that means we'll either be seeing Bellamy next, or we go straight to Skypiea. Personally, I'm actually kinda interested in seeing what fate befell the "dachshund" myself.
Old 2011-10-19, 10:44   Link #14
Simonsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Damn, Brooke and Usopp really shined this chapter. I loved seeing how much more confident they became after the skip. And of course, Zeo is as awesome as ever. BTW, I wonder how Daruma is able to use a fire-based attack? Is he hiding some weapons on himself or something (especially since I'm hesitant to consider the possibility of him being a Haki user).....?

So lessee, now that we got Cricket and the monkey guys in this week's ministory, I guess that means we'll either be seeing Bellamy next, or we go straight to Skypiea. Personally, I'm actually kinda interested in seeing what fate befell the "dachshund" myself.
Don't know what type of fish he is supposed to be, so maybe that type of fish has some kind of natural ability that Oda tweaked in order to make it be fire.

Or else even though same as you I hate to yell Haki every other second, the only thing I can think of other than a natural fish ability is back to the Boa sisters and how she made herself be on fire.
Old 2011-10-19, 11:31   Link #15
james0246

If Hodi lacks "will", then how did he not fall to Luffy's Disposition?
Old 2011-10-19, 11:48   Link #16
marvelB

^It was probably the steroids that gave him extra stamina.
Old 2011-10-19, 11:50   Link #17
Battler-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

Well, he has the will just to destroy for the sake of destroying things, things like humans
And he is now pretty much a tank.

Luffy also hasn't mastered it completely for sure.
Old 2011-10-19, 12:18   Link #18
yakumo-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Knowing that, the creativity potential for the Yomi Yomi DF is very high. Really looking forward to seeing how he'll put the ability to use in the future.
I think brook has a special skill to revive people, it might be luffy,
since its pretty obvious that oda is already foreshadowing luffys death,,,

although, brook needs to accomplish his goal first before he dies,,
I think Oda is going to make a story that living forever in that good at all, since brook is now officially a fact that is an immortal
Old 2011-10-19, 12:48   Link #19
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

Well, damn... Hody's just a terribly misguided fishman who hates humans just because that's the only thing he learned all his life - that they're bad and that fishmen are supreme. I would say he's a douche, but he's really just dumb, and with no real motivation whatsoever, it's no wonder the NFP are losing so easily...

So, Robin is the Agent Smith of One Piece... Maybe she she knows it's all fake and they're all in the Matrix .
Old 2011-10-19, 13:08   Link #20
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
This often happens in other manga and is a recurring concept, the most dangerous enemy is not one who has the strongest 'Ki'(will), but one who you can't sense their Ki.

I'm explaining completely in manga context, how can you predict or just sense someone who has no will at all? You can't, that simply makes the person more dangerous than one who's will and intentions are extremely strong and obvious, as you will know what he wants to do.

If Oda wants Haki to follow this concept, it may explain why Hodi can hit luffy despite his observation Haki and even cause damage to him regardless of armour Haki. The complete lack of Haki in Hodi is his greatest weapon against Luffy.

Also for Robin, I'm quite sure that she will eventually be able to combine 1000 of herself to essentially become 1000 times her normal size. She will be Sanjuan Wolf's opponent. Seeing that she is not limited to chokes and clutches now and is using pure physical force to cause damage, she can probably throw some giant kicks and punches in a giant form.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Closed Thread