AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-12-08, 13:30   Link #1
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Wii U question

I have a few questions about the Wii U, I want to buy one, but every time I see a video about a game on it or a forum post about it, everyone or like 90% of the people say its awful so is it? Also I only really want to get the Wii U because of mario/DK and Zelda games, because I can't get them on PC and I can play them with my wife and friends more conformable on a couch.

I have never owned a console, just been a PC gamer, and a long time ago i used to game on the orginal gameboy. So I don't know if its plug in and play or Installing/updating stuff. My tv is 42" and is 400hz will the Wii U work on it?
Do the bundles come with 1 controller or 2?

Thanks for your time
Old 2013-12-08, 23:13   Link #2
Reverzer0
Sleeping

Ignore those who says awful because they really don't know too much about Nintendo. Yes better buy a console than using a wii emulator/dolphin emulator for pc.

I think it is plug and play same with the older consoles of nintendo! Not sure because i don't have wii! You can ask the store for sure before buying like we usually do with my friends",
Old 2013-12-09, 04:39   Link #3
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Gaming preferences are subjective, it shouldn't be up to someone else to tell you whether or not the console and its games will suck for you.

My personal opinion is that if you're a classic Mario fan and haven't been following up to date with the newer Nintendo stuff, it's definitely worth checking out. On the flip side, the New Super Mario Bros. series has been rehashing titles for quite some time now, so if you've been following the series then I can't personally recommend you jumping out to buy one, unless you really want it.

There have been other titles announced and it's more of a party console for friends and family at the moment. Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, Wii U Party, et cetera, it's all been tailored to enjoy with your friends. Stuff like Wind Waker HD does exist for the single player experiences too.

Nintendo has definitely jumped on the digital download bandwagon, so buying bundles for the Wii U nowadays means getting a digital copy of a game attached instead of a physical copy. You always have the choice to either download and install from home, or to go traditional and head into a store for a hard copy. It's actually quite a bit easier than the newer new-gen consoles that make you install every disc you receive before playing.

Refresh rates and physical dimensions of your television won't affect if it'll work or not, so a 42-inch, 400hz TV (damn, that's actually pretty impressive) will do just fine. The Wii has caught up to about prev-gen consoles and will actually output in full 1080p (HDMI cable included). No bundle to date comes with two tablet controllers, but that's fine because almost no games really support more than one. What I'd recommend is buying a bundle (standard Deluxe if you want a hard copy of Nintendo Land, Zelda or Mario Deluxe if you want digital versions of those games) and grabbing a standard Wii remote, because that's what secondary players will be set to use. All the merrier if your friends have extra remotes too.

Speaking of Nintendo Land, if you have friends and/or family to play the Wii U with, get that game. It has several mini-games that reminisce on the classic Nintendo series while offering some pretty amusing (and even sometimes intense) gameplay that everyone will like. It's surprisingly good.
Old 2013-12-09, 07:47   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
It's plug and play up to a point, but to download system software updates and games from the estore you have to connect it to the internet.

The WiiU will work on any TV as long as it has either an HDMI or scart/component connections, and unless it is stated in the item description the bundles will come with only one controller.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-09, 12:54   Link #5
4Tran

Usually, when people say that the Wii U is awful they're either referring to it as a poor product business-wise, or they have no interest in its games. If you already want to play Wii U games, then their objections shouldn't make a difference to you. Bear in mind though that the Wii U is selling extremely poorly and there's a good chance of a significant price drop in the near future. As it is, retailers regularly offer steep discounts so keep your eyes peeled for sales.

If you want to play local multi-player games, you'll need to either buy extra Wiimote or Wii U Pro controllers - the Gamepad is not sold separately. If you're interested in buying the Pro contoller, make sure that the games you want to play are compatible with them.
Old 2013-12-13, 07:59   Link #6
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Thank you for all the reply's very helpful. Like I said I haven't played mario for a long time, since the 90's so really excited when I heard about the 3d world. I only mentioned my TV hz because, I used it once to play PC games and it was awful really laggy. Then when I used it to watch movies it was running really well etc, I actually noticed that if I turn off motion flow it will be fine.

One last thing what controller should I go for the normal wii ones or the wii pro controller?
Old 2013-12-13, 08:20   Link #7
Westlo
Lets be reality

OP you're better off with a 3DS or 2DS if you want Nintendo games.

Also Wii U will probably be dirt cheap by next years Black Friday at the rate it's going....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverzer0 View Post
Ignore those who says awful because they really don't know too much about Nintendo.
A lot of people who think the Wii U is awful/LOL are big fans of the 3DS so lol @ this spin.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-13, 09:13   Link #8
Reverzer0
Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
I only mentioned my TV hz because, I used it once to play PC games and it was awful really laggy.
The pc itself is the problem. Your pc is below specs for the game or not properly adjusted the game settings especially the graphic and sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
A lot of people who think the Wii U is awful/LOL are big fans of the 3DS so lol @ this spin.
Indeed lolx3 so expect more from gaming forums especially console war topics",
Old 2013-12-13, 11:50   Link #9
4Tran

Quote:
Thank you for all the reply's very helpful. Like I said I haven't played mario for a long time, since the 90's so really excited when I heard about the 3d world. I only mentioned my TV hz because, I used it once to play PC games and it was awful really laggy. Then when I used it to watch movies it was running really well etc, I actually noticed that if I turn off motion flow it will be fine.
TVs add a lot of post-processing to the image which adds lag to games. If your TV has a port labelled for computers, then that's the one you should use for game consoles or computers. That port will not add any processing, so your game will be as lag-free as your TV can handle. The same goes if your TV has a "Game" mode.

Many TVs don't have that feature, so you'll have to do things manually. The first step is to turn off any motion flow and other similar features. Then, you'll want to set the sharpness to as close to off as possible (usually at either 0 or the center point). If your TV has a choice between limited and full range RGB, then make sure that it's set to limited if you're hooking up a Wii U - it doesn't have support for full RGB. Computer monitors are full RGB by default, so you should set it back if you hook your PC to your TV.

You can also check online to see what the ideal settings are for your TV.

Quote:
One last thing what controller should I go for the normal wii ones or the wii pro controller?
It depends on what kind of games you want to play. If you want to try out old Wii games that depend on motion controls, then you'll want at least one Wiimote. And games like Nintendoland were meant to be played with the Gamepad and Wiimotes.

Bear in mind that the Wii U's days are numbered - there probably won't be a whole lot of games outside of the current and announced games. If those and Wii games are enough for you, then go on ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
OP you're better off with a 3DS or 2DS if you want Nintendo games.
True enough, but they are different hardware that fulfill different needs. 3DS party games aren't really a thing unless you live in Japan. The 3DS is a pretty cool way to play Metroid Fusion though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverzer0 View Post
The pc itself is the problem. Your pc is below specs for the game or not properly adjusted the game settings especially the graphic and sound.
True enough, but they are different hardware that fulfill different needs. 3DS party games aren't really a thing unless you live in Japan. The 3DS is a pretty cool way to play Metroid Fusion though.
Old 2013-12-13, 16:57   Link #10
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Well if my PC is below specs I will be pretty amused I think its because of what 4Tran said the TV isn't meant for computers. I don't really see the point in a 3DS, I think I would rather go for a wii U, however if your saying the lifespan isn't going to last long is there much point of getting one? Is it likely Nintendo will announce a new console at the end of 2014 or something?
Old 2013-12-13, 18:20   Link #11
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Well if my PC is below specs I will be pretty amused I think its because of what 4Tran said the TV isn't meant for computers. I don't really see the point in a 3DS, I think I would rather go for a wii U, however if your saying the lifespan isn't going to last long is there much point of getting one? Is it likely Nintendo will announce a new console at the end of 2014 or something?
It's likely Nintendo will ride out the Wii U for another year, while quietly shifting some games that are currently early in development over to their next platform (the next Zelda might move over, for example). It's really tough to say, however. They can't afford to just pull it from the market right now, because that would cripple their public image, but it's clear the system is not making money and never will, so there's no point in throwing more resources than they already have dedicated to it. That money will be better spent on the Wii U's eventual successor, and Nintendo's going to need it to win back the support of third party publishers and gamers.

All that said, it is a solid system with a good library of games. I'd say if you don't already have a Wii, but are interested in Nintendo home console games, the Wii U is a good buy. You get full Wii backwards compatibility, plus all the Wii U stuff. The entire Wii + Wii U + eshop + Virtual Console library is a hefty amount of gaming that isn't too hard on the wallet.

As for a potential price drop, I don't see fire sales happening until the middle to end of next year, at least officially. Retailers can of course choose to dump inventory if they wish, as has been happening in nations like the UK. But how much you want to spend is ultimately up to you.

As for televisions, it depends on how old it is, for the most part. Most HD tv's made in the last five years have no issues with modern console gaming, and offer tweaks in the menus to accommodate stuff like RGB modes and input lag if needed. Otherwise they're usually straight plug and play. Older HD tv's, or really cheap ones, might cause problems, but that tends to be rare from my experience.

Also, while the 3DS is a fantastic console, it's a different experience from a home console and not for everyone. Still, there's a truckload of games for it (3DS + DS + eshop), and the 3D is never required to play the games. I keep it off personally, except for a few games that use it really well. But it's not a home console, and some people just don't like handhelds.
Old 2013-12-13, 23:12   Link #12
Reverzer0
Sleeping

Quote:
Well if my PC is below specs I will be pretty amused I think its because of what 4Tran said the TV isn't meant for computers.
Unless you tried dolphin emulator without proper setup although your pc is above specs for the requirements. There will be no problem if your tv have the option for pc.
Old 2013-12-17, 16:56   Link #13
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Ok, well I ordered mine, thanks for everyone's post. It seems like next year is going to have a lot of games apparently. So hopefully it will be worth it in the long run, and if it doesn't oh well got a PC anyway