AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-01-28, 18:35   Link #21
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
Finland was the first country in the world to allow women to vote and currently we have a female president, yet women in average earn noticeably less than men for doing the same work.
This is a dangerous statistical generalization. Does it apply the same WITHIN jobs?

Apparently people did such research and made general claims like "female professors earn less than male professors in Universities", and upon deeper investigation there was an underlying reason found. Basically, female professors were mostly those of the social sciences or the arts, while male professors dominated the hard sciences. Hard science (medical, physics, biology, astrophysics, etc) professors earn more money than non-science professors in general. It was also found that within departments, the wages between sexes were equal (and in some cases, the females were paid more).

This bubble has been burst, but the myth persists.

Don't depend on statisticians to do your thinking for you.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 15:59   Link #22
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
This is a dangerous statistical generalization. Does it apply the same WITHIN jobs?

Apparently people did such research and made general claims like "female professors earn less than male professors in Universities", and upon deeper investigation there was an underlying reason found. Basically, female professors were mostly those of the social sciences or the arts, while male professors dominated the hard sciences. Hard science (medical, physics, biology, astrophysics, etc) professors earn more money than non-science professors in general. It was also found that within departments, the wages between sexes were equal (and in some cases, the females were paid more).

This bubble has been burst, but the myth persists.

Don't depend on statisticians to do your thinking for you.
I have read some statistics of this but I can't quite remember what it said. I believe there were certain jobs where males earned more than females while other jobs paid equally to both male and female workers.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-29, 16:56   Link #23
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I was just wondering what teenagers in Japan think is cool today?
Their own TV stars and pop music artists, fashion trends, basically the same thing as in the U.S.

Like, what do teenagers like to do for fun or in their free time?
Karaoke, arcade gaming, hanging out with friends.

What do teenagers think is "hot"?
Most likely similar to the U.S.

What do teenagers want to buy or can't live without, besides food and water ?
A mobile phone.

Oh and just for fun, what do Japanese teenagers think of America and the English language?
No one cares, like the majority of the kids in your country doesn't care about things happening outside of their own social life. Do you really think Japanese high school kids caring about some Texan dullard (read: Pres. Bush) ? Do you really think American high school kids caring about some Japanese dude with funky hairdo (read: PM Koizumi)? Same thing.
I visited Japan not too long ago, (my uncle lives there) and I have some friends who are Japanese Teenagers. What you've said is true but there are also some rather strange fads. If you think that the goths in the United States are bad, you should see the Japanese ones, they're crazy I saw them walking around in all this black in Tokyo in the middle of July, for anyone who hasn't been to tokyo in the summer its above 100F every day. Whats really funny is that there are also these girls who dress all in white like the old European china faced dolls with all the lace and stuff and they hang out with the goth kids. Weird huh? And while most Japanese teenagers might not care a lot about bush, they do think he's a massive idiot.
In terms of sexual equality, women have it much worse off there than they do here. Japan is still an male dominated society, and a prime example of it and the shit that men get away with is the subways. In Japanese and Korean subways there is a massive problem with groping. It is not uncommon for Japanese women to be harrassed during rush hour. It got so bad in Korea that they had to make all women cars, but in some cases that made it worse, because if the all women cars were full then they would have to go to the mixed cars, and some twisted fucks have the mindset, "hey if they came to the mixed cars they want to get groped."

Other random facts about japan!
This is knowledge I picked up from my uncle, while I was there he was dealing with Mitsubishi. The best University in japan is Tokyo U or Todai, Todai is almost like a cult after you leave, if you didn't go to Todai and you work with people who do, they will go out of there way to screw you. And not just co-workers, your boss too. Japanese companies also love to commit fraud. It is rotine for them to employ other companies without a contract and then simply backdate the contract when they get around to it. This causes problem when they work with foreign firms, like the one my uncle works at. They refused to sign a contract and also insisted that the workers from my uncle's company continue to work for them.

The Japanese also still have a sevear superiority/inferiority complex toward other countries. They believe themselves superior or wont admit when they've been bested. Prime examples in Anime, look at how bad America comes off in Prince of Tennis, seriously just watch. But they also still feel tons of guilt, especially toward Korea for what they did while they occupied it during the 20th century.

I love Japan, but they have an extremely complex society, in some ways its even more messed up than the United States. (is that possible?)

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 18:44   Link #24
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

Japanese family names

I remember somewhere saying the family names in Japan were given because the sections of land in Japan (Around 1400-1600 AD). However, I would like to know is there a website that has history about the major events happen to these lands?
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 20:57   Link #25
lil_chan

Only for Japanese ^_^

Hi everyone!

I'm italian girl living in kyoto Japan right now .
I like staying here

I also love the japanese language so much & i m learning it

I wanna know more abt life in japan n japanese people
abt ur daily schedule
interests
food
language
actors & singers
..etc

plz share

Love,

Tuta , トゥタ 。
lil_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 21:02   Link #26
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess
I remember somewhere saying the family names in Japan were given because the sections of land in Japan (Around 1400-1600 AD). However, I would like to know is there a website that has history about the major events happen to these lands?
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but:

-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_name (somewhat in depth)
-> The Origins and Meaning of Names (hard as hell to read so I'll quote it below)
Quote:
Japanese

Throughout most of the history of Japan, only the nobility had surnames. However, this changed in the late 1800s when the Emperor declared that everyone must have a last name. Whole villages then took the same name. For this reason, there are only about 10,000 surnames in use in Japan and most of these are locational. The following are examples of Japanese surnames: Arakawa (rough, river), Yamada (mountain, rice fields), Hata (farm) and Shishido (flesh, door).
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 09:58   Link #27
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Heres a question.

is Anemia prevelent in japan?
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-03, 10:38   Link #28
Syn13
Sui Yein Ng 13

One thing that strikes me when I read some of the posts concerning cats, which one started the fortune cat?? The fortune cat is infamous to the Chinese and Japanese and I am leaning towards it being a Japanese thing, because I know that back in the old days, being chinese, the currency where solid shapes(oddish shape) and little round coins with holes in the middle while I guess Japan's currency was flat oval coins which is what the fortune cat holds in one paw with the other paw up.
Syn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 17:28   Link #29
bluemist
i am the mist

How much is 70000 yen in Japan?

I have questions, because the company I work for "may" be transferring me to Japan in 6 months or a year.

They say they give 70000 yen monthly allowance... so I ask will I survive with 70000 yen/month? Suppose I have free lodging, and maybe food is the only major purchase everyday, will I still have money to save? How much is typical food in Japan anyway?

70000 yen allowance is already a hefty amount over here, as opposed to even "work salary" which is equivalent to 10000-30000 yen in this country.
Old 2006-02-07, 18:15   Link #30
sorvani

if lodging is paid for one can live on 70,000 yen. it isn't much though. of course comparing my lifestyle to that allowance.. eww. not a good thing..
sorvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 18:20   Link #31
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

That's a little bit less than $600 a month. That's basically $20 a day for food. Enjoy eating McDonalds every day.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 18:29   Link #32
Illuyankas
I need another drink.

You could survive on $20 a day, just that the food you could afford would be the cheapest of the cheap. But factoring in actual salary, you should be fine.
Illuyankas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 18:46   Link #33
sorvani

speaking of japanese culture..

Anyone read about Hikikomuri?

the japantimes online had an interesting article on the front page a couple days ago about it. Their website won't spit the page back out for me even after i registered or i'd link to that article.
Old 2006-02-07, 22:01   Link #34
bluemist
i am the mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
That's a little bit less than $600 a month. That's basically $20 a day for food. Enjoy eating McDonalds every day.
Super Size Me?

I can buy a Mcdo meal for 1-3$ in my country. That's quite a difference.

How about all the 7-11's/combini in Japan? Cup noodles everyday?
Old 2006-02-08, 00:00   Link #35
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enragin_Angel
You're joking, right? Unless a fucking potato is $10 in Japan, that's more than enough to live on. I spend $80 to feed 3 adults for a week.
Old 2006-02-08, 00:23   Link #36
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

You certainly won't be eating sushi everyday.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 17:52   Link #37
sorvani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas
You're joking, right? Unless a fucking potato is $10 in Japan, that's more than enough to live on. I spend $80 to feed 3 adults for a week.
depends on things like access to a kitchen, etc. which depends on the provided room. an apartment with kitchen. or at least fridge and place for a hot plate can mean the difference between eating good or scraping by for restaraunt meals 3 times a day.
Old 2006-02-09, 00:50   Link #38
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemist
I have questions, because the company I work for "may" be transferring me to Japan in 6 months or a year.

They say they give 70000 yen monthly allowance... so I ask will I survive with 70000 yen/month? Suppose I have free lodging, and maybe food is the only major purchase everyday, will I still have money to save? How much is typical food in Japan anyway?

70000 yen allowance is already a hefty amount over here, as opposed to even "work salary" which is equivalent to 10000-30000 yen in this country.
Compare with this:

I get paid 400,000 yen per month.

Majority of that disappears to rent and utility bills (gas, water, electricity, satellite TV subscriptions, phone, mobile phone, internet, petrol for car, insurance, etc.). I have the other remaining 100,000 yen to spend on food, clothing, my own interests (obviously - anime, manga, ero-games, and related merchandise), and I'm done for that month.

Supposed that lodging and transportation expenses to work (trains) are provided, sure 70,000 yen should get you by. You'll probably need to quickly learn cost managing skills like finding cheap prices in ads for the local supermarket and learn basic negotiating skills for mom-and-pop grocery stores though. Learning lingos such as "time-service" (when stuff becomes tagged 10-15% off by the store employee an hour or two before the supermarket closes) and shopping at Uniclo for clothes will probably be needed as well.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 03:41   Link #39
Chichi

I recently moved with my family to Hiroshima, Japan from London, UK. It’s presently been little over a year since I’ve been here and truthfully I’ve had a fantastic welcoming.

Hiroshima is, to put it bluntly, a rural area that primarily comprises of temples, small-market stalls and stores (that sell some nice noodles), housing estates and a few tourist attractions. We do have many schools here too and a University that is a 45-minute drive to and from my home where I currently study.

With my friends/girlfriend we do frequently commute to either Osaka or Tokyo for the weekend for shopping and leisure by fast train. During the summer Miki has relatives who live in Tokyo, so sometimes I stay with them too for a few weeks.

The immediate difference I suppose from the UK to Japan is that the ethnic majority here is obviously Japanese, whereas in England, especially in London, I was use to seeing a diverse mix of nationalities.

As a Fashion student, I do take heavy note on eastern influences. Japan has a ray of prominent designers that are heavily focused around the market over here, not just in Japan, but in South Korea and Hong Kong to name a few. That said, many have become international, Mori Hanae for example. Western fashion is surprisingly popular over here despite the dominance of the eastern industry where in Tokyo especially, you can see regular D&G, Hugo Boss, Prada et al stores on all local high streets and shopping centers. Aside from high-retail Fashion, teenagers are more inclined to shop for Vintage Street wear, with a variety of fads. The music scene is a heavy influence on what teenagers decide to wear I find, and like anywhere, this is highly dependant on what’s ‘cool’ at the moment, or rather, what the person likes to listen to. Miki is rather tall for a Japanese girl, being 5’7, but for the most part girls hover around 5’4, which is still fairly tall considering. Nonetheless, platforms/heels are still very popular. Other noted trends would be Gunguro, where girls (and even boys) will bleach their hair blonde. This was usually seen over the summer period for good reason. Cosplay outfits were a rarity among the crowd I socialize in, but was existent. Baggy white socks are popular too… I suppose to those who are stylishly less inclined to care about such issues, to put it simply, eastern Fashion is far more deliberate and obvious than Western fashion, with obvious fads that ironically contradict themselves by staying in Fashion anyway, namely platforms. Most teenagers, including myself, wear a mixture of western/eastern garments, from up market jean stores like Diesel to formal stores like Ralph Lauren. Like anywhere else, Goth clothing exists, and you can see plenty of teenagers wear this in certain parts, but they are in the minority. There are also specific stores for that style. To replace Arcadia’s empire (Topshop) there’s stores like Shibuya 109 that focuses on providing relatively sophisticated styles for fair prices to a younger market.

In regards to the financial issue, like anywhere else in the world it does heavily depend on where you live in Japan. Obviously the main cities will be considerably more expensive to live in than say where I do in Hiroshima. Take note that Toyko’s accommodation/transport prices are extremely high, much alike London in the UK; so if you are living there, be assured to pay a lot for little. Fortunately for me, I work for my Dad’s company, maintaining an online private image library for the architectural engineering company he works for. I work from home, accessing the server online, and frequently updating the resource. Strangely it works out for them better than when I worked in London since the time zones complement each other. I was paid £7.50 an hour working here and there during the week, which works at around 4,840 JPY a week.

Edit: I’ll write more soon concerning language barriers on my behalf, video games and relationship comparisons but I have a few commitments I need to attend to. Hopefully my contributions helped give an insight in some way. I also apologize if any of this was mentioned before, since I only spanned through the topic briefly.

Last edited by Chichi; 2006-02-09 at 05:03.
Chichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 22:52   Link #40
sorvani

a question came up today at work, obviously we were working really hard today if were were discussing various cultures dating habits....

what do japanese couples typically do on dates?

i've been told movies are expensive. so that messes up the dinner and a movie thing that is common in the US.

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture