AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 10 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 40.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 24.29%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-09, 04:33   Link #81
Blaat

I do have to agree that say the pacing was slow in the beginning of the episode, but the second half made up for it. I loved the Enishi and Ohana interaction I wouldn't mind seeing a flashback with a young Ohana's mother and Enishi.
I also underestimated Enishi I assumed he was hanging out with Takako for a completely different reason and I have to admit I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarless Ocean View Post
But it's also quite possible that Tohru was actaully looking at Nako... Because everytime it seemed like he was looking at Ohana, Nako was there too...

Also, if it turns out Tohru is in fact in love with Ohana, she most likely will reject him since
1) Minko loves him and Ohana really wants to be her friend...
2) Ko-chan seems to be the one Ohana will end up with...

I hope I'm wrong...
You remind me of an animesuki forum user called Lego...
Old 2011-05-09, 05:55   Link #82
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

My initial reaction to Ohana in her Cheongsam:

Actual valid comments to follow.
Old 2011-05-09, 06:17   Link #83
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Please tell me that Tooru is not a total lolicon and was blushing at Nako being smoking hot in that china dress being embarrassed and all
I think Ohana's hips are far to developed for it to strictly qualify as lolicon.
Old 2011-05-09, 07:01   Link #84
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

awww... what a lovely episode....
too much nosebleed in this episode.... that cosplay is absolutely moe~~~ nice job Ohana and Nako.... (of course nice job for the old man as well)

I wonder if Tohru really looks at Ohana..... maybe not to Ohana but he has a feeling to Nako ... that will makes everything become interesting..... *evil grin*
Old 2011-05-09, 08:19   Link #85
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I'm rather intrigued that everyone seems to be randomly postulating Tohru having feelings for Nako. Half a dozen episodes in, and we haven't even had any interactions between Tohru and Nako yet, as opposed to countless scenes with Tohru interacting with Minchi and Ohana. I think we're really grasping at straws if we're coming up with theories on Tohru having an interest for Nako particularly.
Old 2011-05-09, 08:40   Link #86
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I'm rather intrigued that everyone seems to be randomly postulating Tohru having feelings for Nako. Half a dozen episodes in, and we haven't even had any interactions between Tohru and Nako yet, as opposed to countless scenes with Tohru interacting with Minchi and Ohana.
And all those interactions were like those of an elder brother teasing a younger sister...
I am not saying that TooruXOhana is impossible but I hope Tooru won't go after her.
Nako is more developed and also one year older, right? 23 x 17 is slightly more acceptable than 23 x 16.
While I adore Ohana, I know whose cheongsam I was checking out in that scene.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2011-05-09, 09:18   Link #87
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
I think Ohana's hips are far to developed for it to strictly qualify as lolicon.
I was thinking more of her personality, since her physical age is also well beyond a loli (<12 years old).
Old 2011-05-09, 09:49   Link #88
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
And all those interactions were like those of an elder brother teasing a younger sister...
...about her chest size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I am not saying that TooruXOhana is impossible but I hope Tooru won't go after her.
Nako is more developed and also one year older, right? 23 x 17 is slightly more acceptable than 23 x 16.
While I adore Ohana, I know whose cheongsam I was checking out in that scene.
Desires of the viewer aside, that's not a good arguement for Tohru actually having this unstated or hinted crush at Nako instead of Ohana

I think people should observe these kind of relations in series less based on their personal shipping views, and more on what they see happening on screen. Things tend to get REALLY wacky when you don't.
Old 2011-05-09, 10:34   Link #89
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
decent episode. I have a feeling Tohru might have feelings for Ohana. Knowing Ohana she'll probably reject Tohru if it ever happens because she knows Michii likes Tohru and that she also has Ko-chan.
Old 2011-05-09, 11:04   Link #90
ReddyRedWolf

Here I'm thinking. Dude maybe a knife isn't the best gift for an impressionable girl. Given Minko's disapproving look.
Old 2011-05-09, 11:39   Link #91
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A View Post
decent episode. I have a feeling Tohru might have feelings for Ohana. Knowing Ohana she'll probably reject Tohru if it ever happens because she knows Michii likes Tohru and that she also has Ko-chan.
That for me was kind of a given but seriously who knows. The golden rule in anime should be expect the unexpected.
Old 2011-05-09, 12:24   Link #92
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
I don't agree that pacing is the problem, shows like these has alway been in similar pacing. These shows are slice of life and in East Asia (China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea) they are referred as healing-genre anime. The whole point of these shows are simply be pleasant, relaxing, and uplifting similar to K-On except K-on is also more of a comedy and moe genre.
You sure Hanasaku Iroha can be classified as a slice of life?

It doesn't really address daily activities, but jumps to the points that are relevant to a plot. A pure slice of life, like a comedy, usually doesn't involve a plot (a good example of a pure slice of life anime is Hidamari Sketch). The focus on story development, which is especially noticeable in episode 1, puts HanaIro out of the slice of life genre.

Also, the show is already unpleasant, not relaxing and not uplifting since episode 1. Remember what grandma smacking people around did to the impression the viewers got of the series? I also doubt the apparent love triangles are for you to relax. :P
Old 2011-05-09, 12:30   Link #93
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
Also, the show is already unpleasant, not relaxing and not uplifting since episode 1. Remember what grandma smacking people around did to the impression the viewers got of the series? I also doubt the apparent love triangles are for you to relax. :P
I don't know. I feel VERY relaxed after watching an episode of Hanasaku Iroha. Especially when there's slapping.
Old 2011-05-09, 14:01   Link #94
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I have yet to watch the episode, but ...
Quote:
You sure Hanasaku Iroha can be classified as a slice of life?
If we follow the stranded definition, then yes, Hanasaku Iroha is without a doubt a slice of life anime.
Quote:
It doesn't really address daily activities, but jumps to the points that are relevant to a plot. A pure slice of life, like a comedy, usually doesn't involve a plot (a good example of a pure slice of life anime is Hidamari Sketch). The focus on story development, which is especially noticeable in episode 1, puts HanaIro out of the slice of life genre.
I ... think that you've got things confused.

While it's not uncommon for Slice-of-Life to employ comedic elements, it is still a sub-genre of drama, so if we were to use an example of a ''pure'' SLice-of-Life anime, then something like Emma or Aria might be more accurate.

Also, being a Slice-of-Life show isn't synonymous with lack of plot.
Quote:
I also doubt the apparent love triangles are for you to relax. :P
Watching people beat the crap out of each other is very relaxing! I'm actually surprised from the things I keep on reading about this episode in regards to the romantic front. I didn't actually expect them to go down the Toohana route.
Old 2011-05-09, 14:16   Link #95
james0246

Quote:
I think we're really grasping at straws if we're coming up with theories on Tohru having an interest for Nako particularly.
It's called hope (from the ToMin and KouHana fans) .

Seriously though, I don't understand why any should care one way or another about the potential love quadrangle. If it happens, it happens, and we will undoubtedly have some decent drama and good dialogue through the journey. If not, well we'll still have some decent drama and good dialogue. Either option will undoubtedly be fun.
Old 2011-05-09, 14:55   Link #96
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It's called hope (from the ToMin and KouHana fans) .
See, that's what gets me. HOW exactly do the Tomin fans feel validated if Tohru has a crush on Nako?

Quote:
Seriously though, I don't understand why any should care one way or another about the potential love quadrangle. If it happens, it happens, and we will undoubtedly have some decent drama and good dialogue through the journey. If not, well we'll still have some decent drama and good dialogue. Either option will undoubtedly be fun.
It is indeed kinda strange. Everyone seems to be terrified of the notion this series might suddenlly turn to complete crap, when the last half dozen episodes have been pretty good.
Old 2011-05-09, 15:06   Link #97
taichi-kun

So it was true ,tohru is in love with ohana .. but maybe she will reject him ...
Old 2011-05-09, 15:16   Link #98
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Seriously though, I don't understand why any should care one way or another about the potential love quadrangle.
Why not call it a Quadrilateral?

Forgot to say I quite liked the ED,seems I'm in the minority when it comes to liking the singer's voice though.
Old 2011-05-09, 15:25   Link #99
VentAileron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
...so if we were to use an example of a ''pure'' SLice-of-Life anime, then something like Emma or Aria might be more accurate.
Aria? As in Aria the Scarlet Ammo? Isn't that a...shounen thingy? At least ANN has it listed under action and comedy. Pretty sure something that is action can't be slice-of-life. Though I've only saw bits and pieces of it, so who knows.

And standard definition of 'slice-of-life' as in the following?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A slice of life story is a category for a story that portrays a "cut-out" sequence of events in a character's life. It may or may not contain any plot progress and little character development, and often has no exposition, conflict, or dénouement, with an open ending.
So if we go one by one for HanaIro:
- Events of a character's life? Yes, of course. Tell me an anime that doesn't.
- Plot? Yes, but like you said, that doesn't mean it isn't slice-of-life
- Little character development? Arguable for Ohana, but pretty clear there is for the other characters
- No exposition? No, pretty big revealings or new characters at every episode
- No conflict? No. Do I really need to give an example here?
- No dénouement? No. Most episodes tell and resolve a certain problem

Well uhh...you can decide for yourself if you think HanaIro is a slice-of-life.
Old 2011-05-09, 15:29   Link #100
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Aria? As in Aria the Scarlet Ammo? Isn't that a...shounen thingy? I only saw bits and pieces of it.

And standard definition of 'slice-of-life' as in the following?:
No Aria, not Hidan no Aria.

Quote:
So if we go one by one for HanaIro:
- Events of a character's life? Yes, of course. Tell me an anime that doesn't.
- Plot? [I]Yes, but like you said, that doesn't mean it isn't slice-of-life[/]
- Little character development? Arguable, but big developments are probably in the making, so no
- No exposition? No, pretty big revealings or new characters at every episode
- No conflict? No. Do I really need to give an example here?
- No dénouement? No. Most episodes tell and resolve a certain problem

Well uhh...you can decide for yourself if you think HanaIro is a slice-of-life.
Keep in mind wikipedia is not exactly always a reliable source. The definition of slice of life has gained broader usage in recent years, and so may people have tussled with its definition lately. There is no real agreement on it.

In the past only something like Aria seems to be considered slice of life, but now anything along the lines of something like clannad seems to be considered slice of life, which isn't technically correct if we go by how the term was traditionally used in the past.
Closed Thread