AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-09-20, 04:32   Link #661
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Most LNs generally have quite ok level of vocab....unless it's terminology heavy.

Yes, Horizon is literally filled with everything....so it can give a sense of being slow to build but when it explodes, damn it really does explode.

That's why I find the anime to be a major improvement over the novels

OnC is normal length per volume....no worries there
That's the same opinion my friend holds. He likes how (and I have to agree with him) the show cuts down the focus on (I suppose you could call it) the bare essentials necessary to progress the plot, as well as some of the noise from Kawakami's writing. We both like the novels as well; it's just that admittedly, there is just so much noise in the details that needs some degree of filtering or restraint before the reader gets overwhelmed.

The whole world establishment is a very notable thing, and I find myself heavily immersed in his works as long as I keep his established settings and concepts in mind. Sometimes, however, you just want a light (but engaging) read, not a book that will make the postman bear a deep and resentful grudge against me every time he has to bring it to my doorstep.
Old 2012-09-20, 04:46   Link #662
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Another thing much easier to follow in the show...

The god powered chat the Horizon-verse uses for their internet

If you want an easy thing to read but still engaging....I mentioned Tokyo Ravens earlier.

And KCG bunko's できそこないの救世主

Actually if you can read Black Bullet with no trouble then language is not a problem generally....with LNs the bigger barrier is....complex plot

*Looks at Circlet Girl*

<_<
Old 2012-09-20, 04:49   Link #663
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Another thing much easier to follow in the show...

The god powered chat the Horizon-verse uses for their internet

If you want an easy thing to read but still engaging....I mentioned Tokyo Ravens earlier.

And KCG bunko's できそこないの救世主

Actually if you can read Black Bullet with no trouble then language is not a problem generally....with LNs the bigger barrier is....complex plot

*Looks at Circlet Girl*

<_<
Mmm, I wouldn't say Black Bullet is easy to read for me. It actually takes me forever because I have to go off, look up and remember some of the words then go back. That was quite an ordeal.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 2012-09-20, 10:36   Link #664
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erhjegel View Post
Mmm, I wouldn't say Black Bullet is easy to read for me. It actually takes me forever because I have to go off, look up and remember some of the words then go back. That was quite an ordeal.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Err, you are looking for something to read? If you are looking for something easy to read and not particular about somewhat weird poetic prose and an occasional rambling style, you can try "Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu" and "Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi (btw, don't judge this by its anime which is nearly completely different)". They are as easy to read as it can get. The former is a medieval fantasy while the later is a high school fantasy. Both are by the same author and have similar themes: ie. Going Through a REALLY BIG Amount of Crap and Overcoming Despair. Story-wise, they are still among the top few in my list (and I think I read a fairly large number of light novels and novels as well, though I'm a sucker for fantasies). Characterizations-wise, Denyuuden is really one of the top for me, with many, very strong characterizations even in its supporting cast (and please do not read the wiki about it or you will be massively spoiled). Denyuuden is always good and Itsuten will take a few volumes to build. Because the author, Kagami Takaya, wrote the stories based on his personal life experience with despair, they can trigger a lot of emotions at times. Well worth investing your time into both, I'd say.

EDIT: I just remembered I have reviewed it on BT before. You can read my Denyuuden review (with very minor spoilers) here. Which reminds me, I need to do one for Itsuten some day. Actually, after re-reading my own review, I found it to be pretty epic all over again LOL .

Last edited by larethian; 2012-09-20 at 10:53.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-20, 19:54   Link #665
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Err, you are looking for something to read? If you are looking for something easy to read and not particular about somewhat weird poetic prose and an occasional rambling style, you can try "Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu" and "Itsuka Tenma no Kuro Usagi (btw, don't judge this by its anime which is nearly completely different)". They are as easy to read as it can get. The former is a medieval fantasy while the later is a high school fantasy. Both are by the same author and have similar themes: ie. Going Through a REALLY BIG Amount of Crap and Overcoming Despair. Story-wise, they are still among the top few in my list (and I think I read a fairly large number of light novels and novels as well, though I'm a sucker for fantasies). Characterizations-wise, Denyuuden is really one of the top for me, with many, very strong characterizations even in its supporting cast (and please do not read the wiki about it or you will be massively spoiled). Denyuuden is always good and Itsuten will take a few volumes to build. Because the author, Kagami Takaya, wrote the stories based on his personal life experience with despair, they can trigger a lot of emotions at times. Well worth investing your time into both, I'd say.

EDIT: I just remembered I have reviewed it on BT before. You can read my Denyuuden review (with very minor spoilers) here. Which reminds me, I need to do one for Itsuten some day. Actually, after re-reading my own review, I found it to be pretty epic all over again LOL .
I've read both, the thing with Densetsu is that it have 20 ish vol..Personally I think the story could be shorter but it just got expanded into 20 vol =w= Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great novel too, the setting and character is definitely strong! Itsuka I don't have much to say about it, except that it does get kind of confusing for me at times (plot wise), for a high school fantasy/romance it is pretty good!
Old 2012-09-20, 20:10   Link #666
Athena
The Power of One

I plan on trying 楽聖少女 really soon. Anyone might tell me if it's good?
Old 2012-09-20, 23:02   Link #667
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
I plan on trying 楽聖少女 really soon. Anyone might tell me if it's good?
Yes. Better that Sayonara Piano Sonata IMO.
Old 2012-09-21, 01:24   Link #668
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Anyone read ミスマルカ兴国物语? I heard the main character in that is one of those typical-weak-useless protagonist type (?) Is that true? And something about third series set in same world???
Old 2012-09-21, 01:35   Link #669
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Mismarca eikoku monogatari? Definitely not true. It's a series full of political intrique, and the protagonist only looks weak because his power is too devastating and has to be sealed by his father. I haven't read far, but it's a pretty solid story IMO. The protagonist tragic fate is just too much for me though lol
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 01:37   Link #670
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Mismarca? Definitely not true. It's a series full of political intrique, and the protagonist only looks weak because his power is too devastating and has to be sealed by his father. I haven't read far, but it's a pretty solid story IMO. The protagonist tragic fate is just too much for me though lol
I seen some pictures from the novel and it appear that he don't get his power ( or use it?) until really later on like vol 8+ is that true? The politics and stuff seem interesting at all, but I might not last long enough till vol 8 cause currently I'm looking for something more fast paced~
Old 2012-09-21, 01:47   Link #671
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
I seen some pictures from the novel and it appear that he don't get his power ( or use it?) until really later on like vol 8+ is that true? The politics and stuff seem interesting at all, but I might not last long enough till vol 8 cause currently I'm looking for something more fast paced~
From what I've heard, it really pays off to stick with the series. The sudden twist at the end of one of the later volumes will really hit home the fact that, while the prior books have indeed been buildup, it was really worth it.

At least, that is what I heard from a friend. Give it a shot and immerse yourself in it; it will completely betray your expectations.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2012-09-21 at 02:02.
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 02:33   Link #672
whsie

I give it my full rec'. That said, don't go in looking for a super powered MC. It's the plot and politics that are interesting.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 02:41   Link #673
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:

I've read a bit of DenYuuDen before, and I quite liked it myself! I'm just scared at how many books there are of DenYuuDen out there. I'm definitely going to give this one a shot (and I must thank you profusely for having brought it back to my attention) but that's going to be after I scrounge up enough money to buy them all. Itsuten...it sounds interesting, but personally speaking I'm rather tired of stories taking place in high school settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsie View Post
I give it my full rec'. That said, don't go in looking for a super powered MC. It's the plot and politics that are interesting.
Gotta put it on my to-read-list. I like intriguing politics, not to mention that after Hagure Yuusha, I'm completely sick of overpowered characters who are too lazy to put in any real effort even in fighting.
Old 2012-09-21, 02:43   Link #674
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBakaChanx View Post
I think so, but IIRC his power went out of control once in early volumes. I haven't read that far because I can't stand keep seeing bad things happen toward the protagonist(same reason I can't stand denyuuden lol)
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 02:45   Link #675
xBakaChanx
Kotori!Kotori!Kotori!

Quote:
I've read a bit of DenYuuDen before, and I quite liked it myself! I'm just scared at how many books there are of DenYuuDen out there. I'm definitely going to give this one a shot (and I must thank you profusely for having brought it back to my attention) but that's going to be after I scrounge up enough money to buy them all. Itsuten...it sounds interesting, but personally speaking I'm rather tired of stories taking place in high school settings.

Gotta put it on my to-read-list. I like intriguing politics, not to mention that after Hagure Yuusha, I'm completely sick of overpowered characters who are too lazy to put in any real effort even in fighting.
Actually in latter volumes he's not op anymore, like tons of guys at his level and above appears~
Old 2012-09-21, 03:06   Link #676
larethian

Quote:
Itsuten is high school and has some romance. But its not your everyday high school setting. Just like Denyuuden, it can get pretty dark and depressing at times. In fact, they are actually pretty similar, just that the execution is somewhat different. Starting from volume 6 of Itsuten, pretty much every volume ends with a mind-f*** twist and makes me climax in my mind. But overall, I still prefer Denyuuden characters because they are extremely super duper well fleshed out with the heaps of supplementary material and side stories: everybody has a story to tell. And you feel bad even for the 'evil' 'antagonistic' characters. Pretty much both the worlds in DYD and Itsuten are f**ked, so everyone's f**ked, but based on my understanding on Kagami's intentions, they should have happy endings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
I think so, but IIRC his power went out of control once in early volumes. I haven't read that far because I can't stand keep seeing bad things happen toward the protagonist(same reason I can't stand denyuuden lol)
Well, since the theme is about 'overcoming despair', you can't have good things happening to the characters (not just the protagonist) without them going through crazy amounts of shit first.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 07:02   Link #677
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Quote:
Itsuten is high school and has some romance. But its not your everyday high school setting. Just like Denyuuden, it can get pretty dark and depressing at times. In fact, they are actually pretty similar, just that the execution is somewhat different. Starting from volume 6 of Itsuten, pretty much every volume ends with a mind-f*** twist and makes me climax in my mind. But overall, I still prefer Denyuuden characters because they are extremely super duper well fleshed out with the heaps of supplementary material and side stories: everybody has a story to tell. And you feel bad even for the 'evil' 'antagonistic' characters. Pretty much both the worlds in DYD and Itsuten are f**ked, so everyone's f**ked, but based on my understanding on Kagami's intentions, they should have happy endings.

Well, since the theme is about 'overcoming despair', you can't have good things happening to the characters (not just the protagonist) without them going through crazy amounts of shit first.
I see. Much thanks. I'm definitely curious about Itsuten now.

Might as well contribute something instead of just asking about titles. So, I'll go ahead and recommend 黒鋼魔紋修復士 (Kuro no Hiera Glaphicos) by Akihiko Ureshino. Relatively unheard series, it's a swords-and-magic fantasy with a Victorian period setting, and much of the appeal comes from the character interactions (especially between the leads, Valeria and Dimitar). While Valeria can (and will definitely) be annoying due to her brash and haughty attitude, she's not completely obnoxious nor excessively conceited. The author shows a lot of her potential growth through her exchanges with Dimitar, and it helps that she's not fixed or rooted in the haughty brash aristocrat archetype. Their back-and-forth banter is also pretty funny.

Last edited by Hemisphere; 2012-09-21 at 07:13.
Hemisphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-21, 07:37   Link #678
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

70% of Itsuten doesn't even happen in the school...
Old 2012-09-21, 09:41   Link #679
NeoSam

So many light novels, so many...
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/nunnnunn/20120...900564#seemore

Scroll down to see so many bookshelfs with so many light novel volumes... Dengeki Bunko light novels, HJ Bunko light novels, MF Bunko J light novels, Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko light novels, Fujimi Fantasia Bunko light novels, Famitsu Bunko light novels, GA Bunko light novels so many light novels.

Edit:
heh there are even few light novel volumes from the new shounen light novel labels KCG Bunko and Kodansha Ranobe Bunko (Kodansha LIGHTNOVEL).
Old 2012-09-21, 10:05   Link #680
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
So many light novels, so many...
http://d.hatena.ne.jp/nunnnunn/20120...900564#seemore

Scroll down to see so many bookshelfs with so many light novel volumes... Dengeki Bunko light novels, HJ Bunko light novels, MF Bunko J light novels, Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko light novels, Fujimi Fantasia Bunko light novels, Famitsu Bunko light novels, GA Bunko light novels so many light novels.

Edit:
heh there are even few light novel volumes from the new shounen light novel labels KCG Bunko and Kodansha Ranobe Bunko (Kodansha LIGHTNOVEL).
Don't we all have one of these at home?

Tags
light novels