AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-04-26, 17:47   Link #41
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I am going to watch this tomorrow, and I'll probably get my hands on the DVD as well. All these positive reviews and opinions are prompting me to consider this option, as I am sure that it won't be a waste of money anyway.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 22:34   Link #42
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I just watched it and enjoyed it, but it didn't totally overwhelm me. There is incredible detail in the movement, but sometimes maybe too much for me. Like showing off for no aesthetic purpose.
Spoiler for image I don't want to put in your mind until you've seen the show:
But when the motion worked, it really worked.

As for the story, I've read the original novella, so although there are a lot of differences between this and that, it wasn't so easy to surprise me. And I wasn't thrilled with the VAs, really. It took me a long time to get used to the lead's voice and delivery, as well as to some of the ways they animated her expressions.

But none of these cavils negates the fact that it is a technical triumph and a very enjoyable movie. Some of the backgrounds (the fork in the road, for example) were wonderful. And the romance elements of the story were interestingly done.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-27 at 03:18.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 00:52   Link #43
wao
OK.

Well that's strange. One of the things I liked the best about this movie is how the VAs managed to sound much more like high-school girls (we've had some Japanese ones visit our school and I've seen videos of them taken by friends) than most anime VAs could ever come close to. The speech patterns, the delivery, the way it fits so well with the animation... I wasn't so won over by Kousuke but I loved Makoto, especially her "eh?"s and extremely teenage-like utterences. It wasn't perfect - I felt the crying didn't really work - but it came across as much more refreshing and genuine to me than the typical anime voice nowadays. :/

I also felt it succeded where some Ghibli films didn't in that the voice + imagery combination left a much deeper impression despite both types of films utilizing non-typical voice actors (live-action actors etc.)

But that's just my opinion.
Old 2007-04-27, 01:19   Link #44
stpehen
kisses for all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
...it came across as much more refreshing and genuine to me than the typical anime voice nowadays.
This basically hit it on the head for me. I really can't enjoy 95% of anime nowadays because I can't stand the actors. I don't know if it's they themselves or just uninspired voice direction in general, but there are NO big-time seiyu that I enjoy listening to. Makoto was really fun to listen to because she sounded like a teenager, not an actor.
stpehen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 03:16   Link #45
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I tend to like amateur and stage-actor voices myself. These just didn't do it for me somehow, at least on one viewing. I somehow couldn't feel them as personalities. As accurate as their speech might have been, it felt artificial or intentional to me, rather than fresh. But I'm overjoyed to have a more positive view to try to assimilate myself to. I much prefer liking a show to finding fault with it.

It's kind of cool to find myself on the other side of an argument I sometimes have with others, since I find many top seiyuus too smooth, so smooth that the emotion is under too much control (this doesn't apply to Hirano Aya, who is somewhat out of control as Layla, or to Paku Romi, who is in the right kind of control as Nana).

To tell the truth, the crying was one thing I thought worked, at least a lot better than most anime crying does, for me.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-04-27 at 03:31.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 02:14   Link #46
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for Questions about the end:

By the way, is the "Tokikake" manga ongoing or is it only one volume?

Last edited by serenade_beta; 2007-04-29 at 02:35.
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-29, 13:17   Link #47
bakavic

Spoiler for About those questions:

About the manga, gotta ask NeoSam

Ya, the voice acting was really good - especially the students, as they really did sound like students.

Nice backgrounds and 3D effects (and to a lesser extent character animation), coupled with the VAs, and most of all the storyline, have made this one of the better anime movies.

I kinda got a bit hyped up about the whole show for the last few days, that I tried my hand at subbing it. However, 10 hours later, and lots of cursing and swearing, I can only present the first 5 mins:

http://www.mediafire.com/?82mk2gj2gwm

I really take my hat off to all subbers - the whole process is certainly not easy. A lot of the dialog seemed like it wasn't pure standard japanese - like slurs of certain words and short forms were used. Makes for hell when trying to decipher bursts of words.

BTW, I fully expect "Mass Naked Events"-level type of errors in the sub. Hell, some sentences were even left out since I could understand a word.

I think I had better leave the subbing to the pros at Saizen
bakavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 20:00   Link #48
Kuroba
Doramachikku

I love this movie. I saw at the NY Children's film festival and I thought it was excellent. The characters, the story, even the ending...beautiful. I'd love to see it again. I really like the VA's too...they sounded totally believable as students.

Will Saizen make an .avi format of this movie? Because MKV's don't work on my computer... ^^;
Kuroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 01:04   Link #49
Scab
Saizen
*Fansubber

Sorry, we won't. I know at least one more group is subbing this though, two if you want to go by rumors, so I guess one of those might release an AVI.
Scab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 10:47   Link #50
miaka

watched it and loved it. The background music is nice. i like the ending of this anime movie version than the live action dorama. Although the story is little different but still follow same patterns
miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 13:22   Link #51
Killerattacks

@Scab

I'd love to see your version with AC3. Some reasons:

- AC3 is already a lossy compression. So it won't be the best result transcoding it once again.
- Not all people watch their anime on a PC. And if you don't you have almost no possibility to decode 5.1 AAC with a HiFi System
- It will be unnecessary to include a stereo stream since if somebody only has a 2.0 or 2.1 system the stream will be downmixed most likely, if they didn't mess up their codec settings
- If you include more than one audio stream (and it seems that way) my guess would be that the majority would simply go with the first one (which would be the stereo stream I guess) simply because they aren't aware that they can switch streams or don't know how or think it is too much effort.

Just what I'm thinking about this. I'm really not trying to force you to anything.

If that was the case (only AC3) the audio stream would be ~300Mb. How about a 1,4 or 2 gigabyte h.264 encode?
Killerattacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 16:06   Link #52
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~

I saw on Tokyotosho that there is subbed version of it out by roxfan.
Kai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 17:12   Link #53
Isochroma

The subbed version by roxfan looks quite nice, just about as good as the 1.3gb raw. It only has 192k stereo 48khz mp3 audio, but it sounds good. I deleted the raw, it was that good.

Both (!) the OP and ED are softsubbed as well as main dialogue NO Hardsubs.
Isochroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 17:32   Link #54
Kai1
watashi wa L desu~

I concur the quality. by the way, how come there are russian subs too?
Kai1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 17:46   Link #55
martino
makes no files now

Maybe roxfan comes from Russia or knows Russian as a language as well, you never know...
Old 2007-05-03, 18:21   Link #56
BluWacky
尻の竜

roxfan is indeed Russian.

He's also an absolute legend, and if he happens to be reading this I can only say thank you very much! (and if it's never gone on public record, also thank you for subbing Princess Arete a couple of years back, which is literally the only fansub I have burnt on CD). I literally came home tonight intending to sit down and watch this unsubbed to discover your subtitled version (so I'll be watching it at the weekend instead!); I watched the first five minutes and I can tell this is going to be a very special film indeed.

So... yeah, thanks. Now I'm just annoyed I have to go to work tomorrow...
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 18:59   Link #57
HeadlessCow
Inactive Member

Roxfan is awesome <3

With no filtering on the DVD source, xvid quant 2 was 784 meg so there's not really much reason to go with anything larger than that. You could turn off b-frames and such... but the quality difference at even double the filesize should be negligible. We (roxfan) originally planned on 1.4 GiB, but since 700 was so easy, it was an easy choice to go with that instead. h264 could have probably squeezed out a bit more quality at that size, but it probably would have maxed out the codec at about the same filesize.

Since I was going on vacation as soon as I uploaded the encode (literally the last thing I did before leaving my house for the airport was to resume uploading the raw after our FTP ran out of space), I left the encode a few meg short of 700 so that any non-standard fonts that were used could be added in while I was gone.

AC3 audio just tends to be a pain since often it's mixed at a lower volume than a PCM/MPA track. I boosted it either 6 or 9 dB before I encoded it to MP3. Either people complain that it's quiet, or they expect a louder reencode of it... both are kinda annoying and 192kbit mp3 is pretty darned decent sounding when using LAME to encode it. Basically, there's no reason to add an audio track with half the bitrate of the video

You can mux the original AC3 track yourself if you really want it (I think there's a 5.1 track as well). There's no shift between the raw audio track and my reencode.

Sadly, since I went on vacation and I'm leeching crappy wireless from a sketchy hotel in Paris, I don't get to watch the movie until I get home next week :'(
HeadlessCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 22:14   Link #58
Vertago

Anyone know if the novel has been translated to English? And if so whats it called?

I just watched the subbed version and I loved it. Though like people have been saying the end is quite bittersweet but it didn't change how great this movie was.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Vertago; 2007-05-03 at 22:24.
Vertago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 00:17   Link #59
bakavic

The novel goes by the same name (Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo), but the official english translation seems to be different (The Little Girl Who Conquered Time). Probably not translated by anyone yet. (It's pretty old)

EDIT: Ok, a quick google brings up this page - http://honyaku.livejournal.com/profile. Apparently he/she has plans to translate tokikake, and has started translating another novel. Unfortunately, her last journal post was in Jan :/

Look at 1st post for more details.

Btw, Kagami from Lucky Star was reading it in ep 4 lol.

@HeadlessCow: Any chance the sub by itself would be release for us raw d/lers? It's going to be painful re-d/ling the whole movie again lol. Also a chance to see how badly my translation screwed up
bakavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 04:36   Link #60
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Unlike most people, I actually didn't like it that much. Oh sure, it kept me interested throughout the entire movie, but the enjoyability factor wasn't there for me. Kousuke was bland, and I really wasn't interested in Chiaki's character period. Saving grace was the time travel stuff (I'm a big sucker for those kind of stories) and of course, Makoto, of who was wonderfully done.

The ending in particular was the killer for me...
Spoiler:

IMO, nowhere near as good as people claim to be. I find Brave Story to be the better movie, but then again that's just one person's opinion.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote