AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-09-12, 18:17   Link #8181
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Fanfiction is serious business.
Old 2009-09-12, 19:09   Link #8182
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Just remember that Dojins are essentially drawn fanfics... and those guys actually manage to make money off them.

So, yes... Yes it is.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 19:22   Link #8183
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

How is that even legal.

That just screams copyright infringement to me.
Old 2009-09-12, 19:26   Link #8184
AdmiralTigerclaw
Sword Wielding Penguin

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralTigerclaw
Don't ask me how they manage it in Japan, but Dojins get SOLD at those Cons.
AdmiralTigerclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 20:15   Link #8185
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Japanese consider them both fanart and free advertisement. They make zero loss of them, as it is not a product they created, and therefore has cost them nothing, but increased profit as people can get interested in the original product by reading the doujin. They are also a way to scout potential mangaka.

Too be honest, it's the western attitude that keeps surprising me. Saying no to free advertisement like that.

Last edited by Keroko; 2009-09-12 at 20:32.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 20:27   Link #8186
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Japanese consider them both fanart and free advertisement. They make zero loss of them, as it is not a product they created, and therefore has costs them nothing, but increased profit as people can get interested in the original product by reading the doujin. They are also a way to scout potential mangaka.

Too be honest, it's the western attitude that keeps surprising me. Saying no to free advertisement like that.
Well, the attitude over here involves suing the living crap out of someone if you think you can make so much as a cent off them...go figure. I think we take intellectual property a lot more seriously over here than most places.

Then again, the point of creating something is to make yourself filthy rich off of it, right? :\

No, I'm not dead...just been busy and lethargic recently. Can't summon the energy to do a real breaker.
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 21:23   Link #8187
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Have been away due to no internet access in my area. Also, my grandfather died on Friday.

Will be more away for a bit more.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 21:37   Link #8188
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
It depends on preference, really. I personally am a stickler for canon when it comes to my OC's. I find the challenge of writing my characters in the story while keeping the same plot flowing and avoiding my OC's hogging all the spotlight a challenge. It's AU by the sheer base of characters that never where there being there, but it still adheres to the canon plot.

On the other hand, writing pure AU fics that completely diverge from canon like that 'let's send you to the time of Quint's death' thing in FFT isn't any less fun.
And look what it has spawned. Like Touhou, I dare say Kerokanon is a latent industry by itself. It's even gone international, seeing that FFT has gotten in on the piece of the pie as well.

FFT has a knack for producing, and receiving well, AU fics I noticed. I can't comment why cos I suck rather bad at it; look at the reception of my concepts for the most part.

That said, I'm still producing several because I love the ideas, just need to make sure it's the-all-end-all in being definitive. I'd like to see myself as creating an expansion pack for Nanohaverse, coloring in blanks and adding stuff that weren't there. As long as it is not been stated to not exist, as long as it's existence does not contradict another canon existence, and it adds to the flavor of the worlds, I don't see why the hell not really.

I guess the bad point is that I end up in the middle of nowhere. The AU people think I'm canon, and the canonites think I'm AU. There's a whole lot of grey in my work it seems, no matter how much I explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
Well, the attitude over here involves suing the living crap out of someone if you think you can make so much as a cent off them...go figure. I think we take intellectual property a lot more seriously over here than most places.

Then again, the point of creating something is to make yourself filthy rich off of it, right? :\
Makes you wonder why people still consider Japan more stifling for artistic development than say America or Europe.

Last edited by MeisterBabylon; 2009-09-12 at 21:49.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 22:22   Link #8189
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Reason Japan is considered more stifling is because new ideas aren't so accepted as much as in the west. Take Kamen Rider Hibiki: it was an attempt to try a different direction with Kamen Rider, removing much of the traditional trappings of the franchise while suceeding in capturing the essence of a Rider hero (Hibiki is the best rider of this decade. Only other Rider to match him is Black, but Black was Showa). It grew on everyone and was well-liked.

Then Toei execs ordered a retool around Episode 30 and the series jumped the shark. Everyone hated the retool: fans, cast, production crew, even the guy whose job was to get beat up each week. Hosokawa was particularly scathing.

Thus your example of stiflement, Troll-kun.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2009-09-12 at 22:35.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 00:32   Link #8190
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

My bad then. The world is screwed either way.
Old 2009-09-13, 02:32   Link #8191
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
You can not compare Touhou and Kerocanon, come on! A gap the distance between Earth and Andromeda separate the both of them.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 02:37   Link #8192
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Metaphorically speaking, not in exact terms.
Old 2009-09-13, 02:39   Link #8193
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
You can not compare Touhou and Kerocanon, come on! A gap the distance between Earth and Andromeda separate the both of them.
Vivio goes RAN RAN RUUUUUUUUU~
Old 2009-09-13, 02:41   Link #8194
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

In before Colonel Sander's 999 Hit Combo!
Old 2009-09-13, 14:00   Link #8195
Nya~n
umbrella moe~♥

Remember lowe doing a post about an OC-fied Hell's Gate back in this post? We talked about it over at the IRC for a while, and then I realised it was perfect for one of my OCs to write a short, and before I knew it, I started writing his fic even before I started writing his profile.

And, if you know your Chris Wooding lore well, you'd be pretty familiar with some of these terms.

Spoiler for Nailing the Gate: Phase 1 - the Infiltration:

Spoiler for Notes:

Phase 2

Last edited by Nya~n; 2018-09-22 at 19:19.
Nya~n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 17:16   Link #8196
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Japanese consider them both fanart and free advertisement. They make zero loss of them, as it is not a product they created, and therefore has cost them nothing, but increased profit as people can get interested in the original product by reading the doujin. They are also a way to scout potential mangaka.

<derail>

And on the other hand you have companies like Square-Enix sending out cease-and-desist letters to anyone working on an independent fan sequel to Chrono Trigger. At 98% completion.

Maybe they're only assholes to Americans who offer "free advertising" through doujin and fanworks? After all, Japanese are the most racist people on Earth.

</derail>
Old 2009-09-13, 18:36   Link #8197
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
It depends on preference, really. I personally am a stickler for canon when it comes to my OC's. I find the challenge of writing my characters in the story while keeping the same plot flowing and avoiding my OC's hogging all the spotlight a challenge. It's AU by the sheer base of characters that never where there being there, but it still adheres to the canon plot.

On the other hand, writing pure AU fics that completely diverge from canon like that 'let's send you to the time of Quint's death' thing in FFT isn't any less fun.
I'd like to point out something from my own personal opinion on AUs that extends beyond fanfiction and into real fiction:

When a story steps into a complete fantasy world, I find that I'm willing to offer a lot of latitude to the author. Working magic? Sure. Scythes as effective combat weapons? Go for it. Faster-than-light space travel explained with a handwave--or even without one? Fine by me.

But the closer a story is to the real world, then the more annoyed I get with those breaks with reality. For example, when I'm reading a mystery novel ostensibly set in the real world and suddenly psychic powers, crystal healing, and similar New Age crap appear without any explanation. It's not an urban fantasy alternate universe, it's not advertised on the back cover, it's just there and I'm expected to adapt to it.

In short, it's a break to the Willing Suspension of Disbelief. It jolts me out of the story and makes me very aware that I'm in my seat reading the creation of some author.

The same goes for fanfiction, except that for the problem being the difference between the real world and the book world, it's the difference between the original canon and the fanfiction canon.

So if I read a piece of fanfiction--say, Satashi's "Saved By The Bell," and I see that the description is "Nanoha <3 Fate as students in a normal high school!" then I'm not going to be jolted when I see something like Precia being alive and not a psychotic monster or Nanoha getting a tattoo. (Of course, I'm also not going to read past the summary if the author wasn't Satashi if the description's like that, but that's a different problem). On the other hand, if the story is something like "what happens in our characters' lives if Vivio suffered permanent Linker Core damage when the Relic was removed from her body in the Cradle" then I'm going to have a problem when other canonical details--stuff that would not change because of the one twist--start going wrong, like Nanoha's choosing her career path at a different time than the manga and Sound Stages show her doing so (and yes, that was something I got called out on for "Stahlkonigin," which is why I mentioned it--it annoyed me that I'd gotten it wrong, and it would have bugged me if I'd been the reader and seen it in somebody else's fic). The closer the fanfiction is to the original canon, then the more that I'll be bothered by minor errors/changed, particularly when those differences are not described up front.

I'll also note that if the fic's just plain goofy to me, then I won't waste my breath raising all the minor objections I might have because that would be giving the whole thing more time than it's worth (which might answer one of synaesthetic's questions as well).
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 19:29   Link #8198
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
No to mention how expensive it is to put your work in the rights of author and give it a legal protection in any case of steal, meh, with all the doujinshis out there I had never hear about a legal matter over an artist for using a character that belongs to a company.

I guess that for the big franchsides it's free plublisity.
Old 2009-09-14, 07:37   Link #8199
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Quote:

Yep, I find that amusing to do too :3

Quote:
True...just like that joke story of an old lady suing a microwave company because she used it to dry her cat (which died) and there were no warnings about it on the instruction manual

Quote:
For greedy people, yes...but there are those who create stuff and share them with the world for the sake of it.
But yeah, money is needed to support such activity

To be honest, I'm aiming for such a life...but I still find my skills lacking something, so I'm "studying" (aka watching anime, reading manga, playing games) to see all kinds or art styles there are out there.

Once I reach a satisfying level, I'll start posting on Pixiv
Old 2009-09-14, 07:57   Link #8200
Saint X
VxR Productions
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Saint X
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameSparkZ View Post
Once I reach a satisfying level, I'll start posting on Pixiv
No, you don't need to reach a "satisfying level" as that will take forever to take.

What you need is to START POSTING IN PIXIV NAO

*runs*

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content