AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-11-10, 07:53   Link #61
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

You know, thinking about it, the PS3 Fanboys should take this game up aganist Gear Of War 2 instead of the overhyped Resistance 2. At least, they will not be such a laughing stock for the 360 fanboys.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-10, 16:15   Link #62
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Resistance 2 and Gears of War 2 are both just sub-par games in my opinion. I haven't greatly enjoyed any recent FPS games besides the Half Life series.

Last edited by GuidoHunter_Toki; 2008-11-10 at 17:12.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 03:28   Link #63
klee123

http://www.valkyria-anime.com/

Heh.
klee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 12:26   Link #64
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
cheers
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 18:57   Link #65
ZODDGUTS

This what game got is getting an anime.

Official site
http://www.valkyria-anime.com/

Since it's being animated by A-1 so chances are I'll have good animation, they've done Birdy the mighty, Kuroshitsuji, Kannagi.

Edit: Bah looks like I've been beated to this post about getting an anime. lol
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 21:57   Link #66
Solecs

I just beat the game the other day, and I have to say it was pretty awesome. I'm excited for the anime. I need to vent a little though:

Spoiler for Don't read if you haven't played through the game:
Solecs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 22:39   Link #67
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Alright there is going to be an anime. Just the other day I was thinking about how this should be turned into an anime.
Old 2008-11-12, 22:53   Link #68
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
This what game got is getting an anime.
Wow, hold it there. Sounds like you're either dissing the game or you do not know what the game is all about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs View Post
Spoiler for Don't read if you haven't played through the game:
It will not be realistic for a war drama if they don't show some sort of sacrifiece.
Old 2008-11-13, 02:19   Link #69
kaisama

save for the fact this game is unrealistic to begin with, and lol at medic.
kaisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-13, 05:54   Link #70
Solecs

Fair enough that sacrifice is needed, but still, it wasn't deserved .

In anycase, I've been replaying the game with my clear data (by the way this makes the first half of the game or so really, really easy) and I got to thinking. If they did the anime with the canvas engine, it would probably turn out relatively ok. They'd need to throw in some anti-aliasing, but otherwise I think it would look pretty good. Not great by any means, but passable at least. That's saying something about how good this game looks .
Old 2008-11-13, 08:15   Link #71
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Like how Platoon puts it, "The first casualty of war is innocence".

It's had always the rule of thumb in War Drama that the most Innocent Character will be amongst the first to be dead. But it works.

Quote:
If they did the anime with the canvas engine, it would probably turn out relatively ok.
Low chance of that, it will be too costly to produce for an entire season. Movie, OVA, maybe. But definitely not an entire season.
Old 2008-11-13, 23:39   Link #72
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Earlier this evening, I was wondering how one could best cover the larger war of which the 'Gallian Front' is a part in a game. After some thought, I came to the conclusion that the Endwar mechanics are an almost-perfect fit, especially given the RPG-lite elements made possible with persistent units (inherited, it seems, from the old Ground Control games)...
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 17:32   Link #73
kujoe
from head to heel

I'm still starting but the game is shaping up wonderfully.

First of all, I don't know if it's just me, but it so reminds me of Skies of Arcadia. Not in terms of actual story or gameplay mechanics, but rather the whole design of it is just reminiscent of that game, from the menus, recruitable characters to the way they look. I wonder if the character designer is the same, or if the team behind Skies of Arcadia also worked on this one. Heck, Vyse and Aika are in it! (Still haven't found Aika though.) God damnit Sega, where's my Skies of Arcadia 2!?

With regard to the dub versus original comparison, so far the dub isn't bad at all. I'm actually liking it. In fact, I'm mainly using the dub since the translation is sometimes different from what's actually being said in Japanese. The overall context or meaning is the same, but Sega chose not to translate everything literally and mainly made sure to fit the dialog in English first. My Japanese isn't perfect, but I can understand a good deal of it sometimes, so such a gap between what's being said and what's written onscreen can be bit of a bother.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-15, 17:43   Link #74
Solecs

Yeah, it's the same team that made Skies of Arcadia. They were formerly Overworks, but changed to being called Sega Wow after merging with another group I think. So it's not surprising that there is a similar feel to it.

As far as the dub goes, it was pretty good in my opinion as well. I played through the first time with the dub, and now I'm seeing how it is with the original japanese. One minor caveat I have with the original japanese is that I don't know what they're saying with the potentials, but I guess that's not a big deal.
Old 2008-11-15, 22:16   Link #75
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Old 2008-11-15, 23:44   Link #76
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Yeah, it's the same team that made Skies of Arcadia. They were formerly Overworks, but changed to being called Sega Wow after merging with another group I think. So it's not surprising that there is a similar feel to it.

As far as the dub goes, it was pretty good in my opinion as well. I played through the first time with the dub, and now I'm seeing how it is with the original japanese. One minor caveat I have with the original japanese is that I don't know what they're saying with the potentials, but I guess that's not a big deal.
If there's one thing I'm not liking, it's the sound effects. For a story centered on war, the "booms" and "bangs" aren't done well.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-16, 23:39   Link #77
kaisama

And for a story about war, it's not that good either....may be shouldn't watch a bunch of old war movies before playing this :/
kaisama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 00:31   Link #78
u43368
Disabled By Request

I consider the story to be fairly typical JRPG stuff with a bit of a military twist.

I'm unfortunately nitpicky so I always find problems, but if there's one thing I wish this game did it would be to give the side characters screentime, since I believe they're far more interesting than the main characters.I think Edie getting her own levels is a step in the right direction.

And am I the only person who would like to see more games with this engine? I think a mech game similair to Front Mission using this engine would OWN.
u43368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 20:56   Link #79
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Folks who like the music might find this blog entry to be of interest.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-17, 22:20   Link #80
TrueKnight

I'm putting 3-4 hours so far up to chapter 5 on and am loving it. Ok story and awesome characters. So far I like Welkin and his bug-addict lol and the rest of the support characters are surprisingly good. The battle system takes time to get used to but its fun seeing Edelweiss raping enemy soldiers with mortars and tanks with shells. The graphics are superb and reminds me of Level-5 games, but better. The highlight of course for me its the music scores. It's simply beautiful. Who's composing them? It reminds me of Motoi Sakuraba for some reason.

Anyway I agree about the story being cheesy. After playing COD : World at War and Fallout 3 for a while and then playing this only to find a girl with a short skirt, leading a platoon, and baked bakeries in pseudo-Europe with WW II background just feels so out of place lol.

Now my biggest problems are to juggle this and Fallout 3, which I already had for 2 weeks and spent nearly 40 hours, enjoying it immensely. But this game is also very good. Maybe I'll take a break from Fallout and play this game for 10 hours or so before coming back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2
It's had always the rule of thumb in War Drama that the most Innocent Character will be amongst the first to be dead. But it works.
....I've been avoiding Gamespot/FAQ and any other forums alike for their trigger happy spoilers..but damn. T_T
From this somehow I just knew who's going to carry that deathflag. Eventhough I'm not there yet.
TrueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote