AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2008-09-17, 22:30   Link #12041
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Semantics.
Well no. One is you verbally abuse someone, the other is you actually hit them.

As for the number of schools...eh. Its a city right? In the area of a city (basically a school district) we got more than that just within a 15 mile radius I think. And this is the suburbs (in the California S.F. Bay Area at least). Since Japan's urban regions seems to be about as densely populated as Californias, that might be a good starting point. Though I imagine there are some places like this in the more heavily populated Canada cities.
Old 2008-09-17, 22:31   Link #12042
Uluth

Hey, I've been watching the thread for quite a while now. I love the idea, as I like introducing a single change in a story and watching it spiral out of control. I think you've accomplished a little bit of that. Uluth approves!

I Never really bothered posting because I have no actual reason to. I still don't, but I guess I'll introduce myself seeing as I plan on at least commenting on later events when I have time.

I tend to fancy myself an artist so I may be able to help in some small way in terms of the image gallery(which I see is frighteningly enormous). Other than that, there's not much else I can do that's anything out of the ordinary.
Uluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 22:34   Link #12043
unmoldedtruck

Send a message via AIM to unmoldedtruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uluth View Post
Hey, I've been watching the thread for quite a while now. I love the idea, as I like introducing a single change in a story and watching it spiral out of control. I think you've accomplished a little bit of that. Uluth approves!

I Never really bothered posting because I have no actual reason to. I still don't, but I guess I'll introduce myself seeing as I plan on at least commenting on later events when I have time.

I tend to fancy myself an artist so I may be able to help in some small way in terms of the image gallery(which I see is frighteningly enormous). Other than that, there's not much else I can do that's anything out of the ordinary.
I'd welcome you but we have a greeter for that.
unmoldedtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 22:39   Link #12044
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well no. One is you verbally abuse someone, the other is you actually hit them.
Not the way I'm reading that, but whatever. Haruhi assaulted the President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
As for the number of schools...eh. Its a city right? In the area of a city (basically a school district) we got more than that just within a 15 mile radius I think. And this is the suburbs (in the California S.F. Bay Area at least). Since Japan's urban regions seems to be about as densely populated as Californias, that might be a good starting point. Though I imagine there are some places like this in the more heavily populated Canada cities.
Exactly. Given the city's size, and the fact that it's the home of Koushien Stadium... shouldn't there be more Junior Highs?

Quote:

WELCOME. YOU SHALL SERVE KYONKO WELL.

LIME GREEN IS A STUPID COLOR.

Also, MY GOD I love going through my old edits. I'd forgotten most of them.

If you're interested in some notes on creative processes, make an account on Baka-Tsuki and then hit the "edit" button for the first chapter, I've added a few notes marked off by <!-- --> within the text.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2008-09-17 at 23:34.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 23:06   Link #12045
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Not the way I'm reading that, but whatever. Haruhi assaulted the President.
Both really, IRL people are often charged with assault AND battery.

I agree with your view of Haruki's jerkassness. The only limit of his behaviour I believe we should be concerned is that of credulity; as in the limit of abuse Kyonko can reasonably take before she smacks him a new one, turns around and leaves for good.
But yeah, its generally a case of double standards. For example, girls are generally more sensitive to verbal insults, so jabs about Kyonko's looks and intelligence look particularly cruel, let alone Haruki's other shennanigans. On the other hand, Haruhi calling Kyon stupid is barely remarked on.
otai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-17, 23:10   Link #12046
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by otai View Post
I agree with your view of Haruki's jerkassness. The only limit of his behaviour I believe we should be concerned is that of credulity; as in the limit of abuse Kyonko can reasonably take before she smacks him a new one, turns around and leaves for good.
But yeah, its generally a case of double standards. For example, girls are generally more sensitive to verbal insults, so jabs about Kyonko's looks and intelligence look particularly cruel, let alone Haruki's other shennanigans. On the other hand, Haruhi calling Kyon stupid is barely remarked on.
Thank you for your support.

And that is exactly why I never have Haruki actually insult her, but not because of any change in character... but rather because he wants to sleep with her, and insulting her looks would therefore be a bad idea.

It's like, Haruki's two objectives in life are:

a) Take over the universe,

and b) Make Kyonko his bride.

Edit: Here is my re-edit of the first chapter in its entirety.

Spoiler for Melancholy, Chapter 1, re-edit:

Now all I need is for Discreet to edit this, me to pick what works from his edits, post that version, and we've finalized Chapter One and can move on.

Discreet can do the prologue if he wants, but I don't think it's necessary.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2008-09-17 at 23:36.
Old 2008-09-17, 23:57   Link #12047
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
"Normal humans do not interest me! If anyone here is an alien, a time traveler, a slider, or an esper, then come! Let us hang out together! That is all."

I think that we can come up with something better than "Let us hang out together."

How about "Let's have an adventure together! It'll be just like the Goonies!"

Kyonko: Can I be Corey Feldman?
Haruki: I'm Corey Feldman!
Kyonko: But you're ALWAYS Corey Feldman!
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 00:01   Link #12048
MrZombie

Well, now that I've finished studying, I decided to try my hand at genderbending a Haruhi story. Here's my take on part of the first chapter of "The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya"

Spoiler for chapter 1, part 1:

So, thoughts everyone? I really had to change the fairy bit in this chapter. It has to many connotations when used with a guy.
MrZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 00:10   Link #12049
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Quote:

WELCOME. YOU SHALL SERVE KYONKO WELL.

LIME GREEN IS A STUPID COLOR.
Well damn...missed that (and this latest surge of posts in general) 'cause I was playing Halo 2.

Also, don't diss the lime green, Kaisos.
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 00:19   Link #12050
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post

I think that we can come up with something better than "Let us hang out together."

How about "Let's have an adventure together! It'll be just like the Goonies!"
Awesome, but noooo.
Old 2008-09-18, 00:30   Link #12051
Discreet
The Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Megex View Post
Besides, wasn't it a flying kick rather than a dropkick? Or was that just in the anime?
Dropkick. Wiki it.

Quote:
Thank you for your support.

And that is exactly why I never have Haruki actually insult her, but not because of any change in character... but rather because he wants to sleep with her, and insulting her looks would therefore be a bad idea.
I think there's been some serious miscommunication here between you and I over Haruki the Jerkass. I'm not saying we should make him a dashing, chivalrous gentleman, but we're not going to write this story to have Haruki be hated by the audience, right?

I personally hate both Haruhi and Haruki, but I know people like Haruhi and I can see why. But with Haruki it's just so much more of a stretch, the balance between Jerkass and decent guy has to be more finely played, it's a larger challenge. Haruki's attitude towards Kyonko in the beginning... is just so damn inexcusable, the audience would hate him right off the bat or be more prone to do so. We cannot have that happen, genderbending a character should not make that character more hateful by any standards.

I just want you to know that I am going to edit the first chapter with this sort of mindset.

Quote:
*snip*

Now all I need is for Discreet to edit this, me to pick what works from his edits, post that version, and we've finalized Chapter One and can move on.

I have no idea when I can do it. Chapter 1 is LONG. This post has taken me ten minutes, which I can spare easily, but I'm gonna have to give up some hours for Chapter 1... I might do the Prologue, although there really shouldn't be anything wrong with it... I think...
Discreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 00:32   Link #12052
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
I personally hate both Haruhi and Haruki, but I know people like Haruhi and I can see why. But with Haruki it's just so much more of a stretch, the balance between Jerkass and decent guy has to be more finely played, it's a larger challenge. Haruki's attitude towards Kyonko in the beginning... is just so damn inexcusable, the audience would hate him right off the bat or be more prone to do so. We cannot have that happen, genderbending a character should not make that character more hateful by any standards.

I just want you to know that I am going to edit the first chapter with this sort of mindset.
I actually see little wrong with his behaviour early on... he's a jerk to EVERYONE, not just her.

And not everyone hates him. I think he's AWESOME.

But go ahead, let's see what you think.
Old 2008-09-18, 00:49   Link #12053
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Awesome, but noooo.
How about: "Come! Be with ME!"
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 00:58   Link #12054
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aebliss View Post
How about: "Come! Be with ME!"
Not enough IMPACT.

Danchou suggests something along the lines of "dominate the world" without saying exactly that.

Can anyone suggest something along those lines?
Old 2008-09-18, 01:40   Link #12055
Aebliss
Story Master

Send a message via AIM to Aebliss
Quote:
Not enough IMPACT.

Danchou suggests something along the lines of "dominate the world" without saying exactly that.

"Come! Join with me and let us rebuild the world in our image together!"
Aebliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 02:05   Link #12056
Jintor

Quote:

Where do I fit into this pretty picture? : <

And the phrase should be,

"Normal humans don't interest me at all! If anybody here is a time traveller, an alien, or an esper, then come - join me! Help me shape... the world! That is all."

I hate using the word 'esper' - 'psychic' is a much better word - but you Yanks all use it, so I'll bow to your will on this matter. I'll still think 'psychic' though.

And remember, Discreet - somebody else is editing you. *wink*
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 06:07   Link #12057
Arceon
Rediscovered
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Arceon
Well, while I do agree that psychic may be a better word. . .it really doesn't apply to this case since. . .

Well, actually, Koizumi isn't REALLY an Esper by any definitions of the word. . .then again he/she could be since he/she always responds to Kyon's supposed thoughts. . .but I never could figure out if it was just a case of Unreliable Narrator or not. . .
Old 2008-09-18, 09:55   Link #12058
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I'm fairly certain "esper" came about in much the same way "time traveler" and "slider" did...
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 10:21   Link #12059
Cat Megex
Seitenkan no Greeter

Send a message via AIM to Cat Megex Send a message via Yahoo to Cat Megex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I'm fairly certain "esper" came about in much the same way "time traveler" and "slider" did...
Actually, if I'm not mistaken, "slider" came from the show "Sliders", which was about traveling between realities.

EDIT: Also, I just realized another possible voice actress for Itsuko (checked to see if she was included in some previous lists of potential voice actors, but didn't spot her name): Sayaka Ohara.

In particular, the voice she used for Hatsune Arisaka (from Tonagura!) is almost exactly how I would think Itsuko would sound. The voice is similar to Kikuko Inoue's voice, but it's different enough to work as an alternate possibility (in my opinion, at least).

Last edited by Cat Megex; 2008-09-18 at 15:47.
Cat Megex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-18, 12:55   Link #12060
otai

Send a message via MSN to otai
Quote:
Not enough IMPACT.

What's wrong with Haruhi's original line? Oh well, I'm game:

"If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders or espers; heed my call, join me. The power of Haruki compels you! Alae iacta est! Vedi veni vici!"

Esper is the english loanword for psychic to the japanese, along with other words like "skinship"; that the english speaking world doesn't actually use. Watch the introduction narration of the last episode in the broadcast order, where Kyon refers to Koizumi and the organization as "shounen esper sentai"
otai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan