AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-04-14, 02:20   Link #501
Sparvid
*hic*

I just realized that I don't get the recent "outrage".

I mean, yeah sure, I'm not surprised that individuals like that would exist. I'm sure that people like that can be found within any fandom. But here's the thing: How come there were fans who got upset based on second hand information?

If they're so into the characters, wouldn't they be reading the chapters as soon as they are avaliable? (Also, as I demonstrated with my theory based only on the limited information showed in the article, it doesn't take a whole lot knowledge of the writing style to figure out that there would be some kind of twist)

If they only read them whenever they get around to do it, then why would they be so emotionally invested?
Old 2010-04-14, 04:05   Link #502
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparvid View Post
I just realized that I don't get the recent "outrage".

I mean, yeah sure, I'm not surprised that individuals like that would exist. I'm sure that people like that can be found within any fandom. But here's the thing: How come there were fans who got upset based on second hand information?

If they're so into the characters, wouldn't they be reading the chapters as soon as they are avaliable? (Also, as I demonstrated with my theory based only on the limited information showed in the article, it doesn't take a whole lot knowledge of the writing style to figure out that there would be some kind of twist)

If they only read them whenever they get around to do it, then why would they be so emotionally invested?
How would you feel if your wife cheated on you, or another man tries to covet your girlfriend/fiance/wife?

2D or 3D, it is still a matter of perspective. It's just how suicide bombers are seen as stupid.

EDIT :

I knew there is something wrong! Mio is a hypocrite!

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-04-14 at 05:13.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-15, 16:23   Link #503
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just in case anyone wasn't aware (somehow *I* missed this):

Yen Press has acquired the rights to the manga for K-On! and will release the first english translated volume in November 2010. They really are on a roll here....
Old 2010-04-17, 04:05   Link #504
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

They are slow. Houkago and FoolRulez already are 1 year + ahead.

On a side note, this might be the future of fanTLs.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-04-17, 12:33   Link #505
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
They are slow. Houkago and FoolRulez already are 1 year + ahead.

On a side note, this might be the future of fanTLs.
Except that the company is talking about scans of original language manga on the net that potential Japanese consumers are reading instead of spending the (sarcasm) oh-so-high-fee of 400-700 yen to buy. Sankaku often intentionally obfuscates where and how news events might affect people for hit rates. Look at the comments and you can see most of the readers have no clue on who the message was directed towards or what kind of material is being discussed.

The ones that do note that much of the problem would vanish if manga companies began *assuming* world-wide distribution and licensed manga much faster and with more profit-sharing to overseas licensees. Offering digital distribution takes care of "average reader joe" but the *collecter* of things-manga-anime wants a physical copy.

Most FanTLs happily take down their scanlations once an item is licensed in the US. Fans who appreciate the series don't seem to mind buying the paperbacks at the outrageous price of $10/volume since sales seem brisk.

Yen Press keeps a very small cost operation and the translator/editor is often a two person team at most. So yeah.. from time of license acquisition to "ready for sale in English" runs about six months and perhaps 3-4 months per volume after that. The time between volume releases also reflects the observed sales curve for manga.
Old 2010-04-18, 04:14   Link #506
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Except that the company is talking about scans of original language manga on the net that potential Japanese consumers are reading instead of spending the (sarcasm) oh-so-high-fee of 400-700 yen to buy. Sankaku often intentionally obfuscates where and how news events might affect people for hit rates. Look at the comments and you can see most of the readers have no clue on who the message was directed towards or what kind of material is being discussed.

The ones that do note that much of the problem would vanish if manga companies began *assuming* world-wide distribution and licensed manga much faster and with more profit-sharing to overseas licensees. Offering digital distribution takes care of "average reader joe" but the *collecter* of things-manga-anime wants a physical copy.

Most FanTLs happily take down their scanlations once an item is licensed in the US. Fans who appreciate the series don't seem to mind buying the paperbacks at the outrageous price of $10/volume since sales seem brisk.

Yen Press keeps a very small cost operation and the translator/editor is often a two person team at most. So yeah.. from time of license acquisition to "ready for sale in English" runs about six months and perhaps 3-4 months per volume after that. The time between volume releases also reflects the observed sales curve for manga.
But one thing different about the scanalations and the official translations is that SCLs often include sidenotes with regards to the joke. For example, jokes revolving around Ritsu and Mio sometimes takes into account Ritsu's pattern of speech (she uses childish or masculine terms despite being a female) while Mio's speech is more refined and proper for that of a schoolgirl. I doubt the direct TL-ers would even bother to point out the "castle ruins" on Ritsu's head.

And Mugi too, her "subversive" patterns and actions throughout the series won't be complete with the direct translations w/o notes. Given that the Chinese versions aren't that much good either with explanations, I seriously doubt that they would sell even for the cash-strapped fans.

Old 2010-04-18, 05:39   Link #507
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

There are a lot of people out there who claim that it's not a good translation if you can't figure out a joke on your own based on something you hear or see (like the kanji on Ritsu's forehead). To be honest, though, I doubt many people are willing to get a Japanese dictionary with explanations about each individual kanji or directly put 2+2 together if they hear familiar words or phrases

Also, how is any person unfamiliar with Japanese culture and mannerisms going to understand that if Ritsu were to talk like a normal girl, Japanese readers/viewers would find that odd and that she usually talks more like a boy would?

This is why I'm a fervent supporter or TL notes (both in manga and anime).
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-18, 09:02   Link #508
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Also, how is any person unfamiliar with Japanese culture and mannerisms going to understand that if Ritsu were to talk like a normal girl, Japanese readers/viewers would find that odd and that she usually talks more like a boy would?
Being the dominant partner in a female-female relationship to the emotional Mio, she has to.

Old 2010-04-18, 09:05   Link #509
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Spoiler for panties:
Old 2010-04-18, 11:48   Link #510
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post

Spoiler for panties:
Which episode is that from?

Old 2010-04-18, 11:55   Link #511
Serffix

Quote:
Which episode is that from?
From episode 7, @ 5:56
Old 2010-04-19, 11:44   Link #512
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
But one thing different about the scanalations and the official translations is that SCLs often include sidenotes with regards to the joke. For example, jokes revolving around Ritsu and Mio sometimes takes into account Ritsu's pattern of speech (she uses childish or masculine terms despite being a female) while Mio's speech is more refined and proper for that of a schoolgirl. I doubt the direct TL-ers would even bother to point out the "castle ruins" on Ritsu's head.

And Mugi too, her "subversive" patterns and actions throughout the series won't be complete with the direct translations w/o notes. Given that the Chinese versions aren't that much good either with explanations, I seriously doubt that they would sell even for the cash-strapped fans.
If you'll look at recent Yen Press works, you'll find footnotes and explanations all over them in the borders. Still not as excellent as some scanlations I've seen but a very giant step forward to recognizing these ARE foreign works and to stop localizing so harshly that no one can tell what was originally meant. The Del Rey Negima books do a fair job with their extensive glossaries at the end (though I'd rather they be on the page of interest rather than an appendix).
Old 2010-04-19, 21:37   Link #513
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

More Ritsu dominance....
Old 2010-04-20, 07:13   Link #514
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:

More Ritsu dominance....
Ritsu, going the cave(wo)man way. All that's missing is the club and leopard skin.
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 02:33   Link #515
NinjaYali
Banned

Quote:

More Ritsu dominance....
Why is Ritsu always seme?
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-21, 02:38   Link #516
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:
Why is Ritsu always seme?
Only when Mio blows a fuse (in fear or embrassment). Other times it might be reversed.
Old 2010-04-21, 02:57   Link #517
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mio and Ritsu take turns in their odd little manzai act.
Old 2010-05-05, 09:02   Link #518
kitten320

Hey guys! It looks like K-ON manga is blocked on ****** so I took a look into *******...

Does anyone know why a doujin named K-ON Anthology Minna De Untana is there as manga material? Or is that real manga but with different style?

Last edited by Solace; 2010-05-05 at 14:22. Reason: K-On is licensed.
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-05, 09:19   Link #519
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Does anyone know why a doujin named K-ON Anthology Minna De Untana is there as manga material? Or is that real manga but with different style?
It is a fanmade manga.

Old 2010-05-05, 11:35   Link #520
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Hey guys! It looks like K-ON manga is blocked on ******* so I took a look into ***** ...

1) Pointing out websites that offer licensed material is a no-no. That site seems to wait for a C&D before taking licensed material down. K-On! has been licensed by Yen Press and goes on sale this fall.

2) "doujinshi", by definition, are "real" manga but they are fanfiction and not "official". They're more often hentai than story writing anymore.

Tags
comedy, seinen, slice of life