AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2008-01-09, 05:53   Link #121
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'm sold. They really captured the whole thing. Amazing.

The animation isn't top quality, but I'm willing to forgive it because the art is so perfect (and at times, worthy of freeze framing).

I must know who sings the opening song! The ed, while nice, made me giggle a little because of the slight slur in the English. An amazingly good attempt though.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Old 2008-01-09, 05:53   Link #122
issei

the only fault i could see with spice and wolf is slightly stilted animation, but as that's not really the focus of the series, it did little to detract from my enjoyment of the first episode. we were properly introduced to the setting, which is a huge breath of fresh air compared to the constant deluge of contemporary comedy/romance and sci-fi action, and given sketches of the primary characters. lawrence and horo make for an interesting pair, with the potential for a great deal of nuance -- they contrast in interesting ways, but have enough similarities in their personalities to provide for a complex relationship.

i haven't really found any reason to be compelled to post about anything in the past season or two, but this is definitely something worth following for now.
Old 2008-01-09, 09:36   Link #123
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer36 View Post
Gonna give it a try for few episodes,hope someone sub first episode soon
BSS already did. Check the usual places.

And if you're lost and don't know what I'm talking about, check ClockworkGiantPandas.com. It's got everything you could possibly want.

Last edited by Masanori Ota; 2008-01-09 at 09:47.
Masanori Ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 10:04   Link #124
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

I like it.The music is good and the characters are intresting.

And the setting is original.It feels more realistic than the usual fantasy stuff.
Old 2008-01-09, 10:05   Link #125
wao
OK.

Oh shi-, it's issei? In this thread?

I caught this while eating lunch, but while I came in expecting the only saving grace to be the music and background art, it was better than I expected. Don't know if that says much, but for something I swore I was going to watch just for the OP and ED, I'm pleasantly surprised that I watched all the way till the end.

I can't get into the characters just yet, but there's something about it that sets it a little bit apart from your average low-budget light-novel adaptation set in the country side (alright, is there something like that anyway? I'm just making this up) Normally I'd be bored to death, but perhaps I have a bias towards the lovely setting and there is promise in the story. Although I do think Horo's voiceacting didn't quite click with me and I couldn't stop thinking "why is Lelouch here?" even though I don't watch Code Geass, dammit...

Maybe I'll just watch it when I'm free - I just hope it doesn't get majorly fuxx0red along the way.

EDIT: For you guys who like the composition of the OP music, it's by this guy called Tomohiko Kira - he composed the 12 Kingdoms ending song. If you want to look for more music by him, look for "ZABADAK" Not all of it is like the OP though.
Old 2008-01-09, 10:25   Link #126
arkxkra
全力全開

this anime was awesome(to me), the feel are nice are there. I love the music/bgm as well it really really nice. Continue watching for sure.
Old 2008-01-09, 12:02   Link #127
Srin Tuar
無謀

Wow, already fansubbed, that was fast.

Does anyone else besides me wonder whether we'll see Kuroe again?
She served her purpose as a very effective temptress, but he completely blew her off.
(i wonder if horo was watching kuroe's atakku)

Horo reminds me vaguely of youko from inukami, except that her chosen target is not a slavering perv. (he actually has very high self control)

Lawrence has clearly shown that he considers Horo a romantic taisho (he imagined her face when looknig at Kuroe, and he even joked about taking horo as an lover ) But I dont think Horo has
done anything of the kind in return... Kataomoi ?
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 14:02   Link #128
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fila View Post
I say the first episode of this series was quite the fanservice in a way almost like Inukami!
I kind of agree and yet I don't. There's a little fanservice inserted, sure (but so did the novels, according to the reviews I've read, and considering it's targeted at a young adult male audience, it's not entirely a surprise, no?), but definitely not in the style of Inukami!, for sure. I! has a straightforward, in-your-face style that's traditional for a lot of crack!-style anime while S&W seems to have a more sophisticated execution of it.

I enjoyed the anime though I never did pick up the manga since the genre isn't in the realm I'd be interested to read. As an anime, though, it's cool. Come to think of it, I'm doing the same for Oofuri and Gintama. Haha.

The OP sets the mood very well and the ED wraps the episode up on a merry and whimsical note. And since it's 12 episodes, it's not gonna be hard to collect. Definitely a keeper.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 14:11   Link #129
Westlo
Lets be reality

I enjoyed the first episode, had a lot of different content from the manga (finished at the end of chapter 2 pretty much) but seemed to fit fairly well. I felt the VA's were fairly good, I've been a fan of Ami Koshimizu since I heard her Anemone in Eureka Seven and I liked her Horo. OP was nice and sounded much better than it did in the camrip trailers. The Engrish ED started off badly but got better as it went on, doubt I'll watch the ED again though.

Oh and after a few words I hardly even thought of Lelouche to be honest..
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 14:14   Link #130
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit View Post
I kind of agree and yet I don't. There's a little fanservice inserted, sure (but so did the novels, according to the reviews I've read, and considering it's targeted at a young adult male audience, it's not entirely a surprise, no?), but definitely not in the style of Inukami!, for sure. I! has a straightforward, in-your-face style that's traditional for a lot of crack!-style anime while S&W seems to have a more sophisticated execution of it.

I enjoyed the anime though I never did pick up the manga since the genre isn't in the realm I'd be interested to read. As an anime, though, it's cool. Come to think of it, I'm doing the same for Oofuri and Gintama. Haha.

The OP sets the mood very well and the ED wraps the episode up on a merry and whimsical note. And since it's 12 episodes, it's not gonna be hard to collect. Definitely a keeper.
Well, actually, Wolf and Spice is considered seinen, and thusly is targeted/marketed towards an older audience (I consider young adults to be teenagers and preteens, you may go by a different denotation of course). The light novels were written to be easy to read on train rides to and from work with few illustrations, and simple ones at that.

The manga is also targeted towards an older audience (though younger than the novel's intended victims), as it is being serialized in Dengeki Maoh, a monthly seinen manga compilation which also publishes such works as the most recent Persona and Disgea manga.

Anyhow, it's pretty good reading. [Moob]'s scanlating it. Check ClockworkGiantPandas.com for links, if you change your mind.
Old 2008-01-09, 14:29   Link #131
ZODDGUTS

Can't say I'm too fond of Lawrence type of voice makes his character feel different then what I felt from the manga. From what I imagined when reading the manga Lawrence would had a older and wiser type voice from but in the anime the voice actor makes him feel as if his younger and not that wise.

As for the animation it was decent a bit stiff at several parts but not bad overall hope it stays consistent. For some odd reason I liked the ED.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 15:08   Link #132
rimaa

according to ANN, Lawrence is 25....looks a lot older to me; with the gray hair and all. Overall, seems like a pretty interesting anime, probably stick with a few more episodes to see where the story goes from here.
rimaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 15:16   Link #133
Jerseykid

Very interesting set up for an anime.
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 15:24   Link #134
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
After a rewatch with the subs, this somehow seems a lot more interesting than the first watch (maybe I was sleepy during then ). I can now see why lawrence sounds like lulu but I can hear that he is trying his best not to ^^ And so the adventure between man and wolf begins - Funny how I hardly noticed the amount of naked service comething from this ep even though it sticks out like a sore thumb - must be "mature" the mood of the series Still haven't adjusted my ears to the engrish end...and I don't think I will XD

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 15:33   Link #135
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaa View Post
according to ANN, Lawrence is 25....looks a lot older to me; with the gray hair and all.
I was about to say that.

Anyhow, subs on Veoh: http://www.veoh.com/videos/v2577758jCeffqXf

Not working for me unless I use VeohTV. Oh well.
Old 2008-01-09, 15:42   Link #136
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Ah, finally it was subbed. So far so good. Lawrence voice doesn't seem to suit him....or maybe that was just me since I've watched Code Geass before .
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 15:50   Link #137
psycrop

i want to see nippless ><~
edge graphics dont cut it as fanservice for me >.>
psycrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 15:54   Link #138
ThoHell

I'm not sure what I was epecting from the series, but the first episode was a complete bore to me. I hope it picks up soon and with more creativity, as of is, it's completely flat. Good animation though. And that guy must not be very straight to be standing and talking to a naked Horo, who is less than an arms length away, without any reaction!
ThoHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-09, 15:59   Link #139
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoHell View Post
And that guy must not be very straight to be standing and talking to a naked Horo, who is less than an arms length away, without any reaction!
He's scared and nervous as hell, but he's a merchant. He can act contrary to his emotions. Read the manga and you'd see this, although his body does betray him (his arm shakes while he professes not to be afraid of the wolf goddess that suddenly appeared in his wagon).

Lawrence's decently straight. Didn't you notice the way he spaced out when Chloe made her "developments" a little more obvious? Hmm?
Old 2008-01-09, 16:25   Link #140
Sparrow1770
Avian Member

First off, I have to say the OP is great. Both the music and the lyrics. Definitely looking forward to the full length version. The ED is a bit silly but the illustrations make it cute.

I didn't find the episode boring at all. It was slow to develop, but I think they used the time well to introduce the characters and the setting. I expect good things from this.
Sparrow1770 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, drama, fantasy, furry, imagin, kemonomimi, romance, shounen