AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

View Poll Results: Durarara!! - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 31 31.96%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 29 29.90%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 15 15.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 12.37%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 7.22%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.06%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.03%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-26, 23:23   Link #61
coraleaterlinda

I'm happy Izaya finally got what was coming to him, lol. Great series.
Old 2010-06-27, 00:23   Link #62
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
A few loose ends:
a. Shinra's: "Your love will never come true."
I'm pretty much positive that Shinra's fortune cookie was a giant red herring, and not meant to be taken as any kind of foreshadowing/literal meaning. It goes without saying that Shinra's "love" is Celty, and the two are obviously veery happy by the end of the anime if you know what I mean, so I don't see how this could be a loose end for you.
Old 2010-06-27, 03:51   Link #63
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I can't shake the impression that the second of this series never caught fire like the first half did... There were great moments - the best in each of the last two eps involved Simon, surprisingly - but there was too much wasted energy. Too many characters (the cop, Shingen) who were introduced and really added nothing of significance. I know they're more fleshed out in the source material and maybe we'll see more of them if there's a S2. I still enjoyed the series a lot overall - several of the characters were truly great, and there was a majestic sort of arc to the overall plot. I just didn't loves it as much as I would have guessed after about 10 or 12 episodes.
It's because this TV anime is multiple unrelated novel stories mixed together. Because they are fundamentally unrelated, the expected "climax" of all the plot threads coming together in the final episode simply can't happen. As an example, Celty and Shinra sorted out their issues with the head, and became a couple in the novels way before Mikado came to the city.

The cop Shingen is a rather important character in the novels as of the latest book. The anime's refusal to follow the novels and just have short 3 episode arcs is why you wonder why certain characters got introduced only to do nothing.
Old 2010-06-27, 04:58   Link #64
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I still believe Izaya needs a bit more than a little (as in TITANIC) punch from Simon for all he's done.

I know we are at roughly a half-way point for the overall story and all but I'm kinda peeved that still roughly half of all the characters still hasn't gotten the kind of attention that Shizuo, Kida and Ryugamine had. It seems to be even Anri could still use more look into her backstory, but that's just me. Still, more to look forward to. Kinda feels weird seeing it 'end' right in the middle.
Old 2010-06-27, 05:44   Link #65
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
^Shakugan no Shana all over again
Old 2010-06-27, 06:31   Link #66
raruku

Just wait for 2nd season.

Hope it will cover only 4-6 of the novel, that way they can do 3rd season with 7-9 or may be 10 if the story end there.

Also BACCANO! SS2 & VAMP! & Hariyama too.
Old 2010-06-27, 07:40   Link #67
kitten320

Quote:
I can't shake the impression that the second of this series never caught fire like the first half did... There were great moments - the best in each of the last two eps involved Simon, surprisingly - but there was too much wasted energy. Too many characters (the cop, Shingen) who were introduced and really added nothing of significance. I know they're more fleshed out in the source material and maybe we'll see more of them if there's a S2. I still enjoyed the series a lot overall - several of the characters were truly great, and there was a majestic sort of arc to the overall plot. I just didn't loves it as much as I would have guessed after about 10 or 12 episodes.
I have to dissagree, I didn't like the first half much and was actually thinking of dropping series all together. But second half caught my interest and I had stayed and didn't regret it.
Old 2010-06-27, 07:54   Link #68
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
^Shakugan no Shana all over again
Not at all.
Shana has a singular large plot. So it is sensitive to rewrites when continuity is killed. Durarara fares better because for the most part, there wasn't changes as such. They merely decided to squeeze what happened over many months and years into a shorter period to make it look "busy".

The "busy" look is just an illusion though. The plot threads don't intersect, so they don't lead to some dramatic conclusion where everyone worked together and saved the day or anything.
Old 2010-06-27, 12:58   Link #69
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So I confirmed my suspicions that this "story" or rather these "stories" are not quite over yet. I felt the first half of DRRR! was much stronger than the second half, but it was still enjoyable for the most part.

I'll stay tuned in for a season 2 if there is one.
Old 2010-06-27, 13:06   Link #70
KuroTsuki14

Spoiler for Epi 24:
Old 2010-06-27, 13:10   Link #71
Kirarakim

Quote:
I feel pretty much exactly the same and said as much the other day on my live journal. It's not that I disliked the series and it certainly had its great moments but it never quite lived up to my expectations that were set up in the first half.

For me the best moment of the series was still when we found out Mikado was the founder of the dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
It's because this TV anime is multiple unrelated novel stories mixed together. Because they are fundamentally unrelated, the expected "climax" of all the plot threads coming together in the final episode simply can't happen. As an example, Celty and Shinra sorted out their issues with the head, and became a couple in the novels way before Mikado came to the city.
I have not read the novels but from watching the anime I had the feeling that the way the source material was being adapted might not have been the best method.

Of course my issues with the series are with the anime not the original source material.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2010-06-27 at 13:20.
Old 2010-06-27, 16:38   Link #72
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

great series! The final episode really brought things full circle except for a few things for me.

1. There still felt like a lack of closure for Ryuugamine's character. He had such a strong development with the Dollars and I particularly found that came to a good conclusion, but what about the progress with Anri? Are they still friends?

2. Anri at the end of the episode hinted that she was confused and maybe had liked Kida-kun. Now that he's disappeared, what's left of the special trio?

On that note, it's good to see that Kida got back with Saki and that she forgave him out of this whole incident.

Overall, everyone had a happy ending and despite the novel still continuing, was a great way to end the series. I think this ended up being my favorite for this season.
Old 2010-06-27, 17:19   Link #73
Boduar

I am just glad this series wrapped up nicely and did not leave me with a WTF feeling like some other animes have done (recently Angel Beats).
Old 2010-06-28, 07:02   Link #74
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsundereCake View Post
I'm pretty much positive that Shinra's fortune cookie was a giant red herring
You are forgetting that Celty's Head is still in Izaya's possession.
Old 2010-06-28, 07:45   Link #75
Chuumi

This has got to be one of the nicest anime endings I have ever seen, out of the incredible amount of twenty-something animes I have watched. They wrapped up things nicely, but there is still plenty of material to use if they decide to make a second season. Very satisfying ending indeed .

I really enjoyed episode 24 - Kadota is simply awesome, the Saki and Kida conversation in the hospital was incredibly touching, while Izaya and Simon's interaction and especially the car chase scene made me laugh so much my stomach hurt. At first I was disappointed when Kida and Saki left. With the Raira-trio just being reunited, it felt kind of sad that Kida would break the bonds and leave all of a sudden. However, the chat sequence, which was pretty funny with Kida bullying Izaya, made up for that in my opinion. Mikado and Kida will stay in touch until Kida (hopefully) returns. Also, Kida answering Mikado's question with "square root of 3" was a nice touch. I absolutely loved the chat sequence.

The ending sequence made me smile, it captured many of my favourite moments. Very nice song choice. But at the same time it was sad because it was the end of a great show. Now I'm really looking forward to the DVD specials!
Old 2010-06-28, 10:18   Link #76
TsundereCake
真 ラブ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
You are forgetting that Celty's Head is still in Izaya's possession.
No, I didn't forget that, it's just that the fortune cookie said "Your love will never come true". His love does come true, regardless of what else could happen later.
Old 2010-06-28, 18:52   Link #77
Bagheera

The season ended just as I expected which wasn't a bad thing. Everyone went about their own business once all of the Dollars and Yellow Scarves dispute was taken care of. I felt really good after seeing that show, hopefully another season is in order.
Old 2010-06-28, 21:32   Link #78
blewin

Quote:
I can't shake the impression that the second of this series never caught fire like the first half did...
I concur. I actually stopped watching the last few episode as I could predict the end - the three finally find out the truth of each other and resolve their misunderstanding. Then I watched them all in one go. Durarara and Bacanno thrive on unpredictability. I suppose if they didn't make an anime original ending it would have lived up to expectation, except the ending would not be like an ending as the novels aren't finished.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2010-06-28, 22:01   Link #79
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
I suppose if they didn't make an anime original ending it would have lived up to expectation, except the ending would not be like an ending as the novels aren't finished.
But, and I've heard this from a few people, this wasn't an anime-original ending in the least, there really is a bit of a gap between the third and the fourth books. The war is resolved fairly anti-climatically, Kida and Saki leave, and Ikebukuro is quiet for a while, that's all in the novels. It's not a true ending but I honestly can't see this story have a true ending, closure is the best I think we'll ever get out of it short of having the majority of the cast die off.
Old 2010-06-29, 19:37   Link #80
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Well Drrrrr was a crazy ride wasn't it...I'm not gonna lie I understand almost nothing in this anime, but oddly enuff I enjoyed most of it...I think the show had lots more potential than it showed and would have been better had it focused or centered around 1 character as opposed to the randomosity we saw, but this is the style of the creator...I thought Baccano was far easier to follow despite the time-jumps, but I liked the pretenses of the characters in Drrrrrr better...There's a ton of cool characters that could execute there own anime series...

Heiwajima, aka "Hardcore Sanji" would be a great good guy antagonist in a series with more shine time...Izaya in another series would have been cooler aswell IMO...I mean he's cooler than some chatroom gossip Goddess...

I could go on, but I never really got the whole Celty thing so it's probably futile to comment on the absurdity of wanting to bang a black ghost head chick...lol..

The one thing Drrrrr totally owned was the soundtrack...And that was my number 1 reason for enjoying the show...Even in scenes I didn't understand or the 5 minute chatroom sessions that didn't add up those smooth and powerful jazz rifts would keep me smiling....I loved pretty much everything about the music and hope these series (Baccano, Drrrrr) influence more creators to go with jazz BGM's because they are so critically underused in anime...

I give the series a B - overall because like I said it was so unfocused for me, but sometimes the crazy art, the outstanding BGM's and the Hardcore Sanji moments were enuff to supress any ill will I ever had toward the show...Plus all the OPs and ENDs rocked and would keep me so hype going into each ep...Hell even the episode preview music would groove my soul to the point of constant jamming arm-movements^^...

So in the end I speed off on my moto better for it...Head intact...