AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - Rating
Perfect 10 236 64.31%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 95 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 6.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 1.91%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.27%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-24, 02:45   Link #481
Isekaijin

I've just finished watching the movie. This is the exact opposite to Endless Eight... It was... Perfect, in the whole sense of the word, the music, the pace, everything.

And Nagato's smile was... oh god. That single scene was worth the wait, was worth the trolling, I literally suffered a meltdown there.

10/10 Nuff said.
Old 2010-12-24, 07:03   Link #482
Kopi
Σ(゚ロ゚ノ)ノ

Thanks for the information. I was wondering whether the novel will come back to this or not.

Btw after he woke up in the hospital.. Koizumi said Kyon fell down the stairs and apparently Haruhi saw someone wearing a skirt where he fell off from.. This memory.. was it feigned since Haruhi was there? or did the original timeline continued without the current version of Kyon? Since Kyon was in a totally different world on Dec 18 and he can't remember about going shopping with the rest at noon.. TIA.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2010-12-24 at 15:03. Reason: Removed quoted post since it was deleted.
Old 2010-12-24, 07:16   Link #483
Clarste
Human

There's only ever one world, it just changes on Dec 18th, and then changes back on Dec 18th (again). After the events of the movie the alternate world never existed (well, it existed for like 10 minutes while they fought Asakura).

However, Kyon's memories are unaffected by the changes, so he remembers things that didn't actually happen. In reality, he did fall down the stairs and was unconscious for a few days.
Old 2010-12-24, 08:44   Link #484
TonyTheme

Good movie was good. It was good I marathoned the proceeding light novels ... now I must wait until Spring 2011 to see it in english. Ugh, 3 or 4 more months?

Spoiler:

Especially that scene.
Old 2010-12-24, 15:05   Link #485
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Let's remember that any future spoilers from the novels are not welcome in this thread and will be deleted on sight. If you really need to discuss the novels, we do have a thread for it.

Thank you.
Old 2010-12-24, 22:25   Link #486
Austin1
Work=FUN!!!1ONE

I just got a quick question about the movie. So why did Nagato create that world? I know it was because of "error." But I kinda got a vibe that it was because she wanted to be normal so that Kyon would notice her or did she do it because she was just sick of doing everything she does? Or because Kyon wanted a different world? Can someone explain and elaborate on this.

Also, I got to say that was the greatest movie I have ever seen.
Old 2010-12-25, 05:50   Link #487
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Eh, shy girls are everywhere. How often do you meet aliens, time travelers or ESPers though?
I don't particularly find it an improvement to have all these ultra-powerful entities and plenty of new danger, just to have a bit of fun.
Just a few weeks before, he was described the ugly truth of shadow fighting, deaths and the like that happens in the back because of the power struggle due to the Haruhi situation.

So he's an irresponsible egoist in addition of having bad tastes in women

Though the movie raise some questions : if Haruhi could be rendered powerless by Yuki, it put her godhood statut seriously in question. As in, gaping huge hole in the logic of it.
The only person unaffected was Kyon. I'm starting to wonder if Haruhi is really the true God behind it all.

And no, don't answer this question if there is an answer. I'm just musing.
Old 2010-12-25, 07:44   Link #488
Knightrunner

When Kyon click the "Enter" button it almost seem like he died and woke up into a nightmare. Sometimes my dreams feel like that. My heart would raise up slightly then collapse like I just died all of a sudden.
Old 2010-12-25, 11:07   Link #489
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akka View Post
I don't particularly find it an improvement to have all these ultra-powerful entities and plenty of new danger, just to have a bit of fun.
Just a few weeks before, he was described the ugly truth of shadow fighting, deaths and the like that happens in the back because of the power struggle due to the Haruhi situation.

Kyon clearly doesn't want to lead a normal life, as much as he may sometimes try to convince himself of that. He wants a life of excitement and adventure. That's the inner Kamina in him that struggles against the inner Anti-Spiral. In the end, Kyon's inner Kamina emerged victorious here, as he chose thrilling but dangerous adventure over safe but boring stability.

Quote:

Though the movie raise some questions : if Haruhi could be rendered powerless by Yuki, it put her godhood status seriously in question. As in, gaping huge hole in the logic of it.
I admit that this is one of the few things that I dislike about Disappearance. It really causes a lot of potential plot holes in the broader Haruhi narrative.

Spoiler for Disappearance Spoilers:

But be this what it may, I'm prepared for Tanigawa to provide a compelling reply to this plot hole of sorts that has been created by Disappearance.
Old 2010-12-25, 11:51   Link #490
aegisofrime
Yuki Nagato Worshipper

Quote:

Though the movie raise some questions : if Haruhi could be rendered powerless by Yuki, it put her godhood statut seriously in question. As in, gaping huge hole in the logic of it.
The only person unaffected was Kyon. I'm starting to wonder if Haruhi is really the true God behind it all.

And no, don't answer this question if there is an answer. I'm just musing.
It's only Koizumi that considers her a God, and there's no telling whether he really regards her as God or he just calls her God because there's the best way to describe her in his lecture to Kyon. You also have to consider the cultural context. I'm assuming you come from a western society, in which case your idea of God will most likely be the monotheistic one, someone omnipotent and omniscient. It's possible that Koizumi's definition here is the polytheistic one, kinda like the Greek and Roman Gods if you will. It's my understanding that the Shinto religion is a polytheistic one.

Yuki's faction considers her a potential for evolution (note that the IDTE is already damn near omnipotent already, I'm getting a Arthur C. Clarke's Overlord vibe here), and to the Time Travelers she's merely a timequake. I don't see either of these factions consider her a God.
Old 2010-12-26, 01:58   Link #491
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Kyoto Animation is the best studio....

at doing anime with snow. Seriously, I swear they must have gotten all excited about doing this movie, because it has tons of snow. Any stories involving winter warfare? I'd watch it if they adapted it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-26, 02:29   Link #492
ijuinkun

Haruhi may be able to "overwrite" whatever her subconscious wishes to, but that does not make her immune to assault. Anything that her subconscious remains unaware of would not be defended against. Yuki's usurping of Haruhi's powers can be considered her "hacking into" Haruhi's power in order to force it to run a program of Yuki's choosing (i.e. making the Disappearance world). This in no way implies that Yuki took the power for herself--she merely was able to make it obey orders from her. The power was in Yuki's possession only in the same sense that piloting a Boeing 747 makes a human capable of flying 900 km/h while carrying 100 tons of weight.
Old 2010-12-26, 06:47   Link #493
HalcyonDays

Just finished watching this. Animation and music was superb... art was a lot better than in season 2 (with the K-Onish style.)
Anyone picked up on the symbolism of Kyon talking about Hydrochoric acid and how it gets along with sodium hydroxide? Felt pretty smart when I picked up on it :P

Last edited by HalcyonDays; 2010-12-26 at 07:21.
Old 2010-12-26, 08:11   Link #494
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Haruhi may be able to "overwrite" whatever her subconscious wishes to, but that does not make her immune to assault. Anything that her subconscious remains unaware of would not be defended against. Yuki's usurping of Haruhi's powers can be considered her "hacking into" Haruhi's power in order to force it to run a program of Yuki's choosing (i.e. making the Disappearance world). This in no way implies that Yuki took the power for herself--she merely was able to make it obey orders from her. The power was in Yuki's possession only in the same sense that piloting a Boeing 747 makes a human capable of flying 900 km/h while carrying 100 tons of weight.
That's an interesting way of putting it.

Well, if there's one thing that the Disappearance story conclusively proves, it's that Haruhi isn't invincible: she can be victimized. For me, that makes her character a little more interesting - in fact, she might be the ultimate "glass cannon": limitless power but perhaps possible to kill with a single well-placed bullet. On other boards, I played around with this idea with scenarios like "Could Lelouch Lamperouge geass Haruhi Suzumiya? If so, and if he's deduced what she really is, he'd get to grant himself one wish, any wish. What would it be?".

Last edited by Triple_R; 2010-12-26 at 12:12.
Old 2010-12-26, 11:29   Link #495
Akka

Whatever the take on this, it still leave a gaping logic hole.
The POINT of the show is how Haruhi is an enigma of cosmic proportion that every faction wants to have a hold on it for one reason or another (keeping the world from being destroyed, learning from her unique case/etc.).
If Yuki was able to bascially take control and manage Haruhi's powers, then it means that she's able to do precisely what everyone wants to do. That just doesn't make sense.
Old 2010-12-26, 11:38   Link #496
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
If Yuki was able to bascially take control and manage Haruhi's powers, then it means that she's able to do precisely what everyone wants to do. That just doesn't make sense.
Yuki's bosses don't want to CONTROL Haruhi. They want to learn how to break the First Law of Thermodynamics under their own power, and they (or, rather, most of them) want to do it through quiet, slow observation.

Besides, Yuki being able to USE Haruhi's powers doesn't mean that she UNDERSTANDS Haruhi's powers. Do you know how your television works, for instance?
Old 2010-12-26, 12:20   Link #497
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
The POINT of the show is how Haruhi is an enigma of cosmic proportion that every faction wants to have a hold on it for one reason or another (keeping the world from being destroyed, learning from her unique case/etc.).
Not quite. The point of the first BOOK was that. But it's simply not sustainable to have the plot revolve around an ignorant god, so Haruhi is gradually being phased out. Sigh (Book 2) is really the last arc where Haruhi's powers take center stage; after that, there are a couple of stories that are basically "let's keep Haruhi busy so she doesn't destroy the world," and by the time Disappearance comes around, she's lost focus entirely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Besides, Yuki being able to USE Haruhi's powers doesn't mean that she UNDERSTANDS Haruhi's powers. Do you know how your television works, for instance?
I wouldn't know how a television in a store works. But you know what? If I really wanted to know, I'd buy it, and now that it's mine, I'd be able to pick it apart and figure out what's going on.

When a country is trying to understand foreign technology, the first step is to steal it for their own. When the IDSE is trying to understand Haruhi's powers, their first step should be to take them.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2010-12-26 at 14:13. Reason: Edited post to remove plot musing that wasn't shown in the movie/anime.
Old 2010-12-26, 13:14   Link #498
Akka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Yuki's bosses don't want to CONTROL Haruhi. They want to learn how to break the First Law of Thermodynamics under their own power, and they (or, rather, most of them) want to do it through quiet, slow observation.
They want to use Haruhi to get information. The way they do it (under quiet observation) is simply the one they consider the most cautious (and actually not all of them consider caution the best way, just see Asakura).
If they were able to control her, it would benefit them much more than simple observation. It's not logical - at least not with the information we have for now - to have them able to control Haruhi but not doing it.
Quote:
That's a bad analogy. A TV set have a very restricted number of controls precisely to allow people who don't build one to use one. It's basically the complete, total opposite of what Yuki is supposed to have done in the movie.

Kyon is supposed to be very valuable precisely because he's the only one able to have influence over Haruhi, and then only in a very unreliable way. Now we see Yuki doing extremely precise control. That is just contradictory.
Old 2010-12-26, 18:03   Link #499
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Controlling her power doesn't mean they also understand it. They want to understand, in the first place.
Old 2010-12-26, 19:33   Link #500
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Mamoru View Post
Controlling her power doesn't mean they also understand it. They want to understand, in the first place.
I think Akka's point was that controlling Haruhi's power REQUIRES an understanding of it.

Tags
best movie ever, haruhi suzumiya