AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-02-10, 23:45   Link #121
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
And then, PCs begin to look a much more attractive choice.

But I can only think off piracy as the main reason for all those, flawed, protection methods.
Even though it can't be stopped or blocked.
How rampant is console game piracy? I never thought it that high since you have to do a lot of work to make them work on your system, but I don't know.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 00:24   Link #122
demino_hellsin
That one guy

There are actually many ways to pirate. The PS3 is the toughest to crack since it required the unit to be completely cut off from PSN to be hacked.

I gave no details so I hope I won't get banned or something.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 04:19   Link #123
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
You guys say bad thing about anti-used-game and digital distributed game yet say PC gamer is better

what an irony.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 05:36   Link #124
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Still I don't think sony will do it, the Japanese rental market is massive and thus would hurt the ps4 over their.
You mean resell market? I know that if you resell your games, around release week, you can get up to 70-90% back of you have paid, unless I was lied to. But not sure if rental services are big in japan, actually it is the first time i heard about it, since i never paid attention to it.
Correct me if i am wrong but PS+ is kind of like a rental service, so even if sony does do the always on DRM if won't affect japan as badly as the reset of the world. Only issue is that sony will have a monopole in that case and i don't think much gamers in japan would mind.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 05:45   Link #125
defki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
But not sure if rental services are big in japan, actually it is the first time i heard about it, since i never paid attention to it.
Game rentals are illegal in Japan.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 06:03   Link #126
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Game rentals are illegal in Japan.
Every day I find at least one more reason to be glad of my situation.
Old 2013-02-11, 11:27   Link #127
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
You guys say bad thing about anti-used-game and digital distributed game yet say PC gamer is better

what an irony.
Course, you can't re-sell your steam stuff buuuut look at the amazing discounts you can get!

I sure miss the good ol' install discs and manuals, their smell~... but I'm still getting that on console games
Old 2013-02-11, 11:41   Link #128
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post

what an irony.
The PC eco-system has much more differences underneath it's surface, a big one being cost of software.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 23:32   Link #129
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagi View Post
I just hope that the PS4 won't cost $600 dlls like the ps3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOHqG1nc_tw
Old 2013-02-12, 01:08   Link #130
T-6000

Quote:

But I can only think off piracy as the main reason for all those, flawed, protection methods.
Even though it can't be stopped or blocked.
I don't think it's console piracy (though even console piracy is on the steady rise these past few years) that has developers and distributors concerned, but rather used games sales and the second hand market. Some distributors and developers have been rather vocal about the second hand market, and some have taken steps to try to curb them (such as offering extra DLC for buying new games). I know Mark Rein and Mike Capps of Epic have expressed concerns about the second hand market, and even proposed that physical copies that are sold at stores have the first half of the content, while making the second half of the content of the game downloadable. Many people didn't take to well with that proposal. And there have been large (sometimes ugly) debates online with both sides of the debate of the second hand market, with people being for it and people being against it. Those that favor the second hand market argue that with the extra money they get from selling off their old games they are able to get an additional game (or two). Those that are against it say that it cuts into developers' pay, with some even claiming that the second hand market is actually worse than piracy (which is a silly & heavy handed claim, IMHO). If DRM is incorporated within the next Generation Consoles, then it's be wise for developers and publishers to either drop the price of games down a bit or drop them soon down the road, and have frequent sales. I believe that over the years PC Gamers have come to accept DRM because of frequent price drops and frequent sales, especially through the PC Digital Mega Giant, Steam.
T-6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 02:06   Link #131
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
PS4 will cost $999 US dollars and will able to cook you breakfast
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-12, 04:26   Link #132
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Alot will probably go pirate if consumers gets screwed over upcoming new consoles.
Old 2013-02-12, 14:20   Link #133
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
PS4 will cost $999 US dollars and will able to cook you breakfast
If it cooks me some cheese and onion omelettes at 4 in the morning then I will fly to New York to get the first one. No screw that, Tokyo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Alot will probably go pirate if consumers gets screwed over upcoming new consoles.
I'd hate to see developers have to learn the hardest way that paying customer is the highest authority and the main figure to cater to, but oh well. I'm not gonna pirate, I'll just not buy.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-12 at 14:32.
Old 2013-02-12, 19:12   Link #134
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Uhh, I thought the Wii U had an account system in place. It's the Wii that takes your digital content with it to its grave.

Having said that, I think the Wii's DRM is the best scheme because it doesn't require internet connectivity. That plus the fact that the Wii is easily hacked means that your purchases are secure in my book.
Old 2013-02-13, 02:38   Link #135
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Uhh, I thought the Wii U had an account system in place. It's the Wii that takes your digital content with it to its grave.
I wiped my Wii and redownloaded all of my store stuff for free. So I'm not sure why you're saying Wii takes digital content to the grave with it.
Old 2013-02-13, 10:22   Link #136
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Nintendo has no "formal" account system. All purchases are tied to the console you bought them on, which isn't a problem until you need a new system for whatever reason. However, they'll usually let you transfer them to a new system if the previous one was lost or damaged. It sometimes takes some arguing (as with any company) but overall their customer service is really good.

They have announced that they are moving to a formal account system, but since they are still lagging behind everyone else in embracing online features, it may take a bit. They'll probably roll it out when the 3DS gets Miiverse functionality.

They are much better than Sony and MS in terms of backwards compatibility however, but it would be nice to have a one purchase = all systems design for their Virtual Console titles. It's a great service but it needs more support. Kinda sums up Nintendo's online stuff in a nutshell.

The takeaway here is that you can still play all your Wii, Wiiware, and Virtual Console games on your Wii U. You might get lucky with some of the DD stuff on Live or PSN, but otherwise you're SOL in terms of carrying over your library from those consoles to the new ones.
Old 2013-02-13, 17:22   Link #137
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Actually, now that you mentioned that... It would be really bad if we couldn't use our old accounts on the new consoles.

However, being able to share accounts between your PS3 and Vita is a nice indication that Sony may be consider something like this for the PS4.

Even greater, would be the possibility to re-download all the games (Specially retro ones)and items bought on the old system.
Old 2013-02-14, 19:07   Link #138
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Thoughts?
Old 2013-02-15, 05:16   Link #139
EmagEvil

Quote:

Thoughts?
... What the heck is this? April fool is in 1.5 months...
EmagEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 06:14   Link #140
Sides

Quote:

Thoughts?
Real, since it is from a devkit I don't think the retail version will look anything like it.
Reason i'm saying that it is real, is because the thing above that ps4 kit is a ndev (wii devkit), which you cannot see in this cropped picture, just google around videogames pages and you will recognise it.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote