AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2009-07-12, 18:39   Link #321
D Lusion AL

Well no she isnt a fighter but she can fight. And she did defeat Ms doublefinger and one of the members of CP9 which if anyone forgot, isnt an easy task.
Crocodile really isnt much without his devil fruit in terms of fighting so I really dont see how its that hard to imagine for her to beat him.
Still, I cant wait for the upgrade she'll get
D Lusion AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 15:14   Link #322
Martin Dak

So, I don't wanna distract from the love discussion, but here's a Nami thing that I've never really seen discussed: Nami has the worst of all the backstories.

Okay, cards on the table. Lemme qualify. Bellemere? Totally fine. Nami's story of senseless tragedy and childhood loss fits in perfectly well with Zoro's story of senseless tragedy and childhood loss, Sanji's story of senseless tragedy and childhood loss, Luffy's story of senseless tragedy and childhoo... uh... let's just move on.

It's the money stuff that drives me crazy! No one in a small town helps out this family that can't feed two kids and an adult?! No, that would be communism. We just like watching little girls grow up hungry, wearing the same clothes all the time, and then gathering in the street and saying, "Watching those kids grow up so full of life makes me so happy."

Oh, and then Arlong comes. He says, 100,000 tax for adults and 50,000 for kids. Each month. Letting alone the fact that no one knows what one beli is worth in dollars (people guess that it's something like yen, based on the large bills), Bellemere can't pay that, the townsfolk say! And we won't give the money to Bellemere, because "seeing those kids grow up so full of life" makes us want to see them killed by a fishman.

And it makes even less sense the more you think about it. In the anime, Arlong's croney says that the take from his first visit is "maybe 25 million." So that's, what, 125 adults and 250 kids (or some combination) based on the aforementioned taxes? Twenty-five million... a month. And Arlong's gonna sell the town to Nami for a paltry 100 million? Collected over 8 years?! That's a bad investment. 8 years = 2.4 billion at that rate. Even assuming that Arlong never intended to honor the deal, it's still like offering to sell someone a diamond mine for fifty bucks, paid out over a decade, and the poor sap believing that you'll go through with it. Don't say, "Nami believed what she wanted to believe, in order to save her town." Nami's supposed to be one of the smartest characters in the show, even as a kid.

You might say, "That 25 million was from taking everything they had, not just the tax from one month." Well, first off--if you take all the money that someone has, how are they making more money? Second, fine, let's say that's true. And then there's maybe... 30 adults in town? That we see? At least 3 million a month, 36 million a year. Still a bad investment to sell it for 100.

This sorta thing really bugs me, 'cause I just think it's so easy for a writer to spot and avoid. Talk me down, AnimeSuki, talk me down.

Spoiler for Bellemere:

Last edited by Martin Dak; 2009-07-19 at 15:36. Reason: Ugh, and I forgot about...
Martin Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 23:17   Link #323
Azncoke123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dak View Post
So, I don't wanna distract from the love discussion, but here's a Nami thing that I've never really seen discussed: Nami has the worst of all the backstories.

Okay, cards on the table. Lemme qualify. Bellemere? Totally fine. Nami's story of senseless tragedy and childhood loss fits in perfectly well with Zoro's story of senseless tragedy and childhood loss, Sanji's story of senseless tragedy and childhood loss, Luffy's story of senseless tragedy and childhoo... uh... let's just move on.

It's the money stuff that drives me crazy! No one in a small town helps out this family that can't feed two kids and an adult?! No, that would be communism. We just like watching little girls grow up hungry, wearing the same clothes all the time, and then gathering in the street and saying, "Watching those kids grow up so full of life makes me so happy."

Oh, and then Arlong comes. He says, 100,000 tax for adults and 50,000 for kids. Each month. Letting alone the fact that no one knows what one beli is worth in dollars (people guess that it's something like yen, based on the large bills), Bellemere can't pay that, the townsfolk say! And we won't give the money to Bellemere, because "seeing those kids grow up so full of life" makes us want to see them killed by a fishman.

And it makes even less sense the more you think about it. In the anime, Arlong's croney says that the take from his first visit is "maybe 25 million." So that's, what, 125 adults and 250 kids (or some combination) based on the aforementioned taxes? Twenty-five million... a month. And Arlong's gonna sell the town to Nami for a paltry 100 million? Collected over 8 years?! That's a bad investment. 8 years = 2.4 billion at that rate. Even assuming that Arlong never intended to honor the deal, it's still like offering to sell someone a diamond mine for fifty bucks, paid out over a decade, and the poor sap believing that you'll go through with it. Don't say, "Nami believed what she wanted to believe, in order to save her town." Nami's supposed to be one of the smartest characters in the show, even as a kid.

You might say, "That 25 million was from taking everything they had, not just the tax from one month." Well, first off--if you take all the money that someone has, how are they making more money? Second, fine, let's say that's true. And then there's maybe... 30 adults in town? That we see? At least 3 million a month, 36 million a year. Still a bad investment to sell it for 100.

This sorta thing really bugs me, 'cause I just think it's so easy for a writer to spot and avoid. Talk me down, AnimeSuki, talk me down.

Spoiler for Bellemere:
Don't forget Arlong "needed" Nami to stay in his crew so she could draw maps of the world including currents and etc. So he can rule the East Blue or the Grand Line.... What Arlong did was basicly let Nami have some hope thinking she can save her town so she stays loyal to him... If someone was that desperate they will accept that kind of offer right away...

Think of it this way it's like being a slave for around 8 years? + 100 Million Beri for the town...
Azncoke123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 07:45   Link #324
X_Danny_X

can someone point to me all the love hints between Nami and Luffy???

Last edited by X_Danny_X; 2009-07-31 at 15:47.
X_Danny_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-31, 07:51   Link #325
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Whose Happy?
Old 2009-07-31, 15:48   Link #326
X_Danny_X

oops, i meant Luffy. lol
Old 2009-07-31, 20:20   Link #327
Kytherno
12th Supernova

Mellorine~!Mellorine~!

Anyways, Nami is a great character to have in One Piece although she is somewhat unoriginal.

But, nevertheless, she's a great addition to one Piece, had a sad story, and does hilarious things at times. I died laughing when she was running through the crowd of people to get on the Going Merry, she hopped onto the ship, and billions of wallets poured out of her clothes. Then the townspeople realize what she did.

Although i have noticed, which a lot of one piece fans can agree on, Nami's boobs change size the minute the makers of OP want her to. She seems to have decent boobs, till skypiea and all of the sudden, she's carrying luggage if ya know wut i mean.
Kytherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 19:02   Link #328
jakx

Spoiler for post 1:

2. Captain Kuro Saga:

Like all the arcs of the E. Blue Saga, each particular arc is particularly suited for a particular character, and in this case, it's mainly Ussopp. Nevertheless, a couple of moments for the pairing spring up, revealing that a relationship is developing between the captain and navigator:

--An interesting moment is when Nami runs to wake Luffy up (by stepping on his face hysterically). Luffy wakes up, but when he sees Nami, he sees that her shoulder is bleeding from a wound that Jango had given her. Furthermore, Luffy repays his debt to Nami and saves her life from an otherwise fatal attack from the Black Cat Hypnotist. Luffy shows concern to Nami’s well-being, and in return, Nami shows a little heart and tells Luffy that they need to win the battle, plus the treasure. Luffy silently smiles in return.

This point highlights that Luffy and Nami are beginning to develop a strong bond between each other. Luffy thinks highly of Nami, and Nami returns those feelings.

--Shortly after the fight with Kuro ends, we have another interesting scene between the two:

Spoiler for 0:

3. Baratie Saga:

It's this arc that sets the stage for Sanji as well as leading us to Nami's background when she takes off. We have a couple of nice scenes here:

--When Luffy learns that Luffy has stolen his ship and treasure, Luffy responds in a rather interesting way
Spoiler for 1:

--We also learn something interesting about Nami in the process of well:

Spoiler for 2:

Spoiler for ar:

Spoiler for 0:

Spoiler for 0:

Spoiler for 0:

Spoiler for 0:

Last edited by james0246; 2010-10-12 at 16:31.
jakx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 19:12   Link #329
jakx

3. Cover Chapters:

It's not much, but I found a few interesting cover chapters between the two characters:

Spoiler for 1:

Spoiler for 2:

Spoiler for 3:

This is taken from chapter thirteen. Early, but kind of neat, showing that Luffy fishing while Nami is with him.

Spoiler for 4:

Honestly, there is a good amount of cover chapter material between the two, but these are a few good ones that I like. I don't feel like posting more (I feel sorry for anyone using dial-up right now...) cover chapters since these six make a decent point.

Spoiler for bg:

Spoiler for 5:

Spoiler for BG:

Spoiler for BG:

Spoiler for BG:

Last edited by james0246; 2010-10-12 at 16:34.
Old 2010-01-24, 19:27   Link #330
jakx

G. Psychology behind the Pairing:

I really need to give Mizura a wonderful "Thank you" for allowing me to use some of her material from her Naru-Saku essay. In all honesty, that Naruto pairing possesses many familiarities with the Lu-Na pairing. Most of this info comes directly from her work, which you can check out in her signature. Once again: Thank you Mizura!

Similars Attract

“Birds of a feather flock together” is a popular cliché for many things, whether it be describing people, relationships, or in this case, manga pairings. Undoubtedly, Luffy and Nami are extremely similar. At first lance, people could mistake them for brother and sister even, no doubt. Here is a list of examples showing just how similar the two are to each other:

Family

Both Luffy and Nami have never known their biological parents. Luffy appeared to be mainly raised by his grandfather and a friend of the family while Nami was raised by Belmel and Gen-san.

On top of that, both Luffy and Nami have an older sibling: Luffy has Ace while Nami has Nojiko. Likewise, they both have a keepsake of the sibling: Luffy has a piece of paper Ace gave him sewed into his hat while Nami has Nojiko’s bracelet around her wrist. Also, neither crew member is entirely aware of each other’s past.

On a side note, it is interesting to note that the Strawhat Pirates are essentially a family together, and the people who try the hardest to keep it tha way are Luffy and Nami. As seen in the Water 7 Arc, the people who had the most emotional outbursts about Ussopp, Robin, etc. wre none other than Nami and Luffy themselves, respectfully.

Responsibility

Both Luffy and Nami share leadership roles: Nami is the navigator, hence she is normally in charge since she is the one who steers the ship and proceeds to make sure that the Grandline’s erratic weather does not catch the crew by surprise. Luffy, on the other hand, is the one who ultimately makes the decision on the destination and proceeds to keep the crew together.

They both personally know the burden of being responsible for the crew, whichis yet another way the two connect on a personal level. In a way, they both work together to keep the journey smooth: Nami makes sure they arrive at the destination in one piece while Luffy does his best to keep the crew happy and together, objectives that have proven in the past to be difficult to perform. Not only that, but in the past as well, not only have both Nami and Luffy both listened to the other crew members’ suggestions, but have given orders for everyone to follow as well.

Furthermore, Nami and Luffy are in charge of other things as well. Nami is normally in charge of money while Luffy is in charge of “entertaining the crew” (in other words, fooling around to pass the time and keep things merry).

Behaviors

Habits and stuff that Luffy and Nami have shown just how much in common they have in each other:

--Both are known for sticking out their tongues in the past:

Spoiler for 1:

--They both have a rather interesting way of walking out on people (for Luffy, take a look at how he walks out on Nami):

Spoiler for 4:

--Both characters have instant love for pinwheels:

Spoiler for 4:

Spoiler for 1000:

--They know how to motivate each other. During Skypiea, Luffy gets Nami going with his gold scheme. In Water 7, shortly before everyone boards the Rocket Man, Nami arranges a large bag of meat and sake to arrive for Luffy and Zoro.

--It seems like the greatest fear the two share is that they both don't want to be alone. Luffy will fight to the death for his friends, and Nami has gone hysterical when seeing her nakama beaten so badly, like the deal with Enel.

Spoiler for BG:

Signs of Intimacy:

Don’t’ confuse intimacy with sexual tension and the like. Although Oda has provided us a few wonderful examples of it, intimacy also deals with communication. Luffy and Nami communicate well, so well in fact that it seems that they speak from their hearts instead of words, a suggested by the following SBS:

Quote:
Chapter 411 (Page 48)

D: Blows shouldn't hurt Luffy, so why does he get bruises and swelling when Nami and the others beat the crap out of him?! Tell me!!! P.N. Zororin Love

O: When the crew beats up on each other, it's always in admonishment with a strong sense of purpose, which is why it works so well!! It works on his HEART!! I bet Nami is thinking, "It's MY heart that hurts deep down!!" ...right? I guess not.

It’s the heart factor that allows Nami to effortlessly beat the living daylights out of Luffy’s rubber body.

And once again, thank to Mizura for allowing me to use some of her material:

Intimacy, the feeling close and connected to someone (developed through sharing and very good communications over time).

Intimacy is what makes you want to share and offer emotional and material support to each other.

The definition of intimacy

Byer & Shainberg, 6th edition, p.65, state that Sternberg identifies intimacy as containing the following ten elements:

1. Desiring to promote the welfare of the loved one.
2. Experiencing happiness with the loved one.
3. Holding the loved one in high regard.
4. Being able to count on the loved one in times of need.
5. Having mutual understanding with the loved one.
6. Sharing oneself and one's posessions with the loved one.
7. Receiving emotional support from the loved one.
8. Giving emotional support to the loved one.
9. Communicating intimately with the loved one.
10. Valuing the loved one.

Let’s see:

Check! Luffy does his best to make Nami smile and Nami knows that Luffy will never abandon her.
Check! Need I explain this? Without Luffy’s intervention, Nami’s life would continue to be sorrowful and miserable.
Check! On countless occasions, Nami has placed her life and future directly into Luffy’s capable hands, and Luffy has placed his complete trust, treasured hat, etc. into Nami’s capable hands. Neither person has ever regretted doing such a thing for each other.
Check! Once again though, need I explain this?
Check! Luffy and Nami have grown from helping each other, trusting each other, and most importantly, understanding each other.
Check! Luffy’s hat anyone?
Check! Luffy has helped Nami on several occasions overcoming her fear and the like. Nami, on the other hand, has had important talks with Luffy, like his duel before Ussopp.
Check! Really, as I’ve already demonstrated, Luffy and Nami not only receive emotional support from each other, but give it as well.
Check! Luffy and Nami understand each other like no other. Their relationship is a bit deeper than what they have with the rest of the crew.
Check! Really? Must I explain this point as well???

Again and again, Luffy and Nami have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they trust each other, that they care for each other, and they are comfortable with each other, and most importantly, love each other (remember, the crew behaves like a family after all).

When Nami is in tears, Luffy becomes upset and does his best to cheer her up. When Luffy’s ense of adventure gets the better of him, Nami is the there to calm him down and set him straight. Both Nami and Luffy not only balance each other out, but bring out the best, as well as the worst, aspects in each character. No other pairing between the crew members can possibly do such a thing because Luffy and Nami are emotionally entwined with each other, making their relationship hard to define at times.

Lu-Na, a Companion Love?

Thanks to Hollywood and cheap romance novels, people have the idea that “passionate love” is the thing that drives relationships. In reality though, it isn’t that simple. Without the simple day-to-day communications, relationships end just as quickly as an eye blink. “Companionate love”, although more serene than passionate love, is more important than passion for a relationship as well as forging stronger bonds than friendship itself.

Quote:
Researchers (Hatfield & Rapson, 1995) have broken up love into two main types:

* Passionate love which involves continuously thinking about the loved one and also involves warm sexual feelings and powerful emotional reactions.
* Companionate love is having trusting and tender feelings for someone who is close to you.

Luffy’s and Nami’s relationship may not exactly have a passionate ring to it, but they do seem to be intimate with each other.

Quote:
Companionate love:
- is a less intense emotion than passionate love.
- is characterized by friendly affection and a deep attachment that is based on extensive familiarity with the loved one.
- involves a thoughtful appreciation of one's partner.
- encompasses a tolerance for another's shortcomings along with a desire to overcome difficulties and conflicts in a relationship.
- includes being committed to the ongoing nurturing of a partnership.
- is often enduring, while passionate love is almost always transitory.

No doubt, the relationship between Luffy and Nami can definitely be described as “companionate love”, although it does not provide proof that a romantic relationship exists between Nami and Luffy. Nami and Luffy possess great affection for each other, with a hint of sexual attraction on Luffy’s part. Still, no matter the situaiton, both Luffy and Nami can only be themselves around each other. Remember:

--Nami and Luffy are affetionate for each other and get alone greatly because they possess extensive similarity with each other. Luffy puts on his brightest grin for Nami, but lately, we’ve been seeing hints that Nami has a special smile reserved exclusively with Luffy.

--They appreciate each other. Hopefully, I don’t have to reiterate examples of this appreciation.

--Luffy and Nami are not only fond of each others’ strengths, but their weaknesses as well. Nami is fond of Luffy’s goofiness and ability to be carefree (for the most part), and with Luffy, you have to wonder if the captain is purposely instigating his navigator to beat the living daylights out of him so many times.

--Most importantly, Luffy and Nami are dedicated to each other (not romantically though…but maybe someday…who knows). As seen in the chaos of the Enies Lobby invasion, Nami remarks to Zoro that despite all the troubles they have faced, Luffy cannot die from it. Luffy, on countless occasions, has demonstrated an infinite patience and trust when it comes to Nami’s schemes and the like.

You really have to wonder if that for some reason or whatever that Oda decides to expand upon their relationship, no doubt exists that Luffy and Nami would be happy with each other together until death do they part. Realistically, Luffy and Nami would make a happy, prosperous couple if they existed in real-life.

It may not be passionate, but whatever. With the story focusing on friendship and such, it would be kind of weird if Oda went straightly from companionate love to passionate love, no?

Spoiler for BG:

Spoiler for BG:

Spoiler for BG:

Last edited by james0246; 2010-10-12 at 16:29.
Old 2010-01-25, 11:45   Link #331
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Whats BG???
Old 2010-01-25, 19:48   Link #332
jakx

Quote:
Whats BG???
huh? for spoiler? hahaha no it's nothing i put BG fo no reason
Old 2010-10-12, 15:45   Link #333
user115178
Banned

Quote:
Mellorine~!Mellorine~!

Anyways, Nami is a great character to have in One Piece although she is somewhat unoriginal.

But, nevertheless, she's a great addition to one Piece, had a sad story, and does hilarious things at times. I died laughing when she was running through the crowd of people to get on the Going Merry, she hopped onto the ship, and billions of wallets poured out of her clothes. Then the townspeople realize what she did.

Although i have noticed, which a lot of one piece fans can agree on, Nami's boobs change size the minute the makers of OP want her to. She seems to have decent boobs, till skypiea and all of the sudden, she's carrying luggage if ya know wut i mean.
this is the process of growing.

Watch the movie "Strong World" Nami likes luffy. In the end this is my assumption of the ending

"luffy finally becomes the pirate king, and then has a child with nami. he then turns himself to the marines and gets executed only to say "My treasure? If you want it, i'll give it to you. Go find it! I left it all at that place."
user115178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 01:57   Link #334
joebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by user115178 View Post

Watch the movie "Strong World" Nami likes luffy. In the end this is my assumption of the ending

"luffy finally becomes the pirate king, and then has a child with nami. he then turns himself to the marines and gets executed only to say "My treasure? If you want it, i'll give it to you. Go find it! I left it all at that place."
How about Boa Hancock? If Nami marry Luffy,Boa Hancock will envy and hate her a lot even kill her. I consider Nami is single until she dies. Because if she is married,she needs to share her wealth with her husband.
joebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-13, 08:29   Link #335
FoxxFireArt

Send a message via Yahoo to FoxxFireArt
Quote:
Originally Posted by user115178 View Post

Nami was rather Kagome in those last moments of the movie. It was like something out of Inuyasha. Normally, I would cast it aside as another non-canon movie, but this one was written by Oda.

I actually predict that Luffy will be the pirate king at the end of One Piece, but this is the finale I see for him. He will want to go back up Reverse Mountain and travel the Grand Line again, but take one of the different paths until he's done them all.
Nami will of course be there so she can travel the world with Luffy as she's making her map. He will want to see every island, and she wants to map every island.